Racist Kramer...

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    From what I've seen, the whole Gibson shit has now blown over to the point where people are shoulder-shruggin' it off like no biggie.

Do people really think this is true? If so, why, because it's no longer headline news?

Then again, Michael Richards is making Mel Gibson look like Matt Lauer right about now.

I think the "crazy mug shot that proves you were drunk" gets a lot of hollywood off the hook. Hell look at James Brown. Dude has done a lot of crazy ass shit and people are like "awww that wacky James!"

• from the gospel according to wikipedia:

"Richards was born in Culver City, California to William Richards, an electrical engineer, and Phyllis (nee Nardozzi), a medical records librarian. He attended the California Institute of the Arts but received a BA degree in drama from The Evergreen State College in 1975. He also had a short-lived Improv act with Ed Begley, Jr. during this period. Enrolled at Los Angeles Valley College, he continued to dominate student productions. He later said, 'I am grateful that the public schools introduced me to the performing arts.' He was drafted during the Vietnam War and stationed in Germany as one of the co-directors of the V Corps Training Road Show. He produced and directed shows dealing with race relations and drug abuse[/b]; 'This was a successful, educational operation, boosting the morale of our men and incorporating the arts into the service.' He then spent two years in the Army developing educational skits and a couple more years 'finding himself' at a commune in the Santa Clara Mountains; he drove a bus and developed a stand-up comedy act in 1979."

Awesome.

• Racism may be irrational as a general philosophy but the belief in racist thoughts as well as the expression of said thoughts is completely socially normal in America. To treat it as anything else than that is to actually treat racism as if it were some kind of aberration vs. part of the fabric of social life (and the same goes for sexism).

Beat me to it.
    In fact, phrases like "is probably a racist" belie the fact that bigotry is not abberant, but ver entrenched. That's why in many regards I think it's more effective to directly reference the sentiment one is calling bigoted.

• Maybe Michael Richards was the reason there were never any black folks in Seinfeld episodes.

Jeru The Damaja did write a song called "Seinfeld"

I really like Jeru The Damaja's music.

I too, like Jeru The Damaja's music.

• seriously...

What does everyone in this thread want to happen?

(damn I wish the poll function still worked)

seriously pt. II

how much "damn that was fucked up shit can be rehashed"? were on page 7 now...

on a thread about Kramer from fucking Seinfeld

It seems like there is something being implied by this, but I can't seem to figure out what exactly this is?
    It is probably beyond my me so, hopefully someone can clarify this.
    "Please to explain"

• http://www.noi.org/

Farrakhan has always brought some new views.
    Defined as radical and perverse, but polarities should always be considered.

Not a complete and total advocation, or really confirmation.
    But these are sentiments brought on contemporary circumstances.

• Farrakhan's a prophet and I think you ought to listen to
    What he can say to you, what you ought to do"

Chuck D.

• Ive never been a subscriber to the idea the use of racial abuse to demean is proof itself of deeper seated racism. Its not a chain of reasoning that is extended to any other form of verbal abuse. If someone in a fit of anger refers to a woman as a 'fucking bitch' or a man as a 'fat bastard' its rare on that evidence alone for someone to assume they are sexist or to possess a prejudice against the girthy.

The way I read it is a guy pissed him off and he wanted to retaliate in the most vicious way he could think of and chose to call him a nigger amongst other racial references. Now this could be evidence of racist belief on his part but its far from a fore gone conclusion to my penetrating mind.

• As for whether or not the stigma of the incident caused any damage, we wont find out until Apocolipto is released.

That's not a good measure for it UNLESS the film does blockbuster numbers. If it flops though, it's hard to argue if it will hvae done so b/c of Gibson's unpopularity or b/c he had a period flick about a centuries-old Mayan (it is Mayan, yes?) civilization, using no "name" actors, with no English dialogue. I mean, Spielberg and Tom Hanks could have co-produced that movie and it'd still be fucking awesome[/b] .

Am I the only one that thinks Apocolipto looks FUCKING RAD!?! Seriously, are people serious or have they just not seen the trailer nor thought about the premise? The movie looks like uncut DOPE. I am actually pissed that Gibson made it because, as a self-respecting Jew, I can't go and see it. I was actually devising ways in which it would be "OK" for me to see it. I think if I paid for another movie and snuck into Apocolipto, then it's like I'm not really giving him money, right? I'm serious about this...

• But irreparable damage HAS been done, Oliver.
    To the point where I don't see him ever regaining his stature of box office king again.
    So no, his career is not "dead" dead. But, yeah. It is.

Clearly, we're getting way off the original topic of the thread but hey, I'm game to play this out:

What you're saying is that if Tom Cruise is no longer the #1 box office king, that equals a dead career? That's seems like a pretty high bar to set...does that mean anyone who once was #1 but is no longer, by definition, has a moribund career?

Cruise couldn't have stayed on top forever - as he got older, there was simply bound to be someone who was going to become more popular than he was, even if he never acted like an idiot.

That wouldn't have meant his career was effectively dead. Cruise's MI3 didn't pull an Heaven's Gate. It underperformed substantially but we're talking about one film. He's made bumbles before (what was that shitty racing film, he did?) only to come back on top. SO I think it remains to be seen how badly Cruise has hurt himself by acting like an ass.

Personally, I HOPE you're actually right Paul. I'm not rooting for Tom. But I think it's too early to know how permanent the damage is.

Two questions:

1. What did Tom say about women that has people pissed at him? Is it just the Scientology bullshit? I mean, I think that shit's crazy and all but I would never stop seeing dude's movies because of it.

2. Is anyone SERIOUS that Tom Cruise's career has somehow tanked? He's still like among the 5 or 6 biggest actors in Hollywood.

• Fuck this dude. Let him continue to fade from the public eye and be an occasional punchline... that's where he was going anyway. Nobody "deserves" fame or employment as a professional comedian, this guy even less than most.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Two questions:

1. What did Tom say about women that has people pissed at him? Is it just the Scientology bullshit? I mean, I think that shit's crazy and all but I would never stop seeing dude's movies because of it.

I think a lot of it was to do with him capping on Brooke Shields because she chose to take anti-depressants to cope with her post-natal depression, and how was that any of his business in the first place, etc.

2. Is anyone SERIOUS that Tom Cruise's career has somehow tanked? He's still like among the 5 or 6 biggest actors in Hollywood.

It seems to be a widely-held belief that MI3's performance at the box-office was affected by the negative publicity some of his behaviour's received. Combine that with the comparative underperformance of Spielberg/Cruise dream-ticket movies like War Of The Worlds and Minority Report, and a lot of people are suggesting he might be done.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    jesus christ, what a pack of whiney little bitches.

In case you pussies missed Guzzos wrap-up, heres mine...

The guy is a racist. DONE.

Now, does it matter? NO.

What differance does it make to the world? NOT A FUCKING BIT.

If your panties are all twisted because you are a seinfeld fan:

YOU DESERVE TO BE PUNISHED FOR YOUR FUCKING MEDIOCRITY.

Piece of shit show.

Thank you and goodnight.

• Michael Richard's statement on David Letterman

http://vidclick.blogspot.com/2006/11/seinfeld-star-apologizes-on-letterman.html

Pretty awkward thing to watch.

Very awkward because there's no explaining away the comments that he made. He says something like "the funny thing is I'm not a racist". Huh? How can he still be in denial about his own very strong racism? The "50 years ago ..." comment is not simply "improvisation". You can't just apologize for that. I think he knows it which is why he could barely communicate. This whole situation is too ugly for words.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    jesus christ, what a pack of whiney little bitches.

In case you pussies missed Guzzos wrap-up, heres mine...

The guy is a racist. DONE.

Now, does it matter? NO.

What differance does it make to the world? NOT A FUCKING BIT.

If your panties are all twisted because you are a seinfeld fan:

YOU DESERVE TO BE PUNISHED FOR YOUR FUCKING MEDIOCRITY.

Piece of shit show.

Thank you and goodnight.

I like you and the horse you rode in on.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    her landlord (who's dayjob is as a middle school teacher in the inner city) chatted us up about the way black kids are raised. In her world of thought she has justified that Black people are slightly more savage than white folks cause they come from a line of slavery.

Now, I think this middle school teacher should learn that slaves who were shipped to america were first undergoing a strict selection. Only the most pretty and strong individuals were selected. A lot of the weaker ones died on the way over (percentage varies depending on source material). On the other hand, what ended up as the white population of the US originated for a very big part in petty criminals on the run from the law, religious fanatics and some scrupelous rich folks who figured that on a continent with no real law, lots of (not only human) resources, millions could be made. Without slaves, not only would there be no "old money" for modern crusaders like your current president to go to war with but there would also be nothing really worth mentioning as far as american culture goes. Sorry for this clich??e-ridden rant but the fact that there are "teachers" out there with this kind of attitude just makes my skin crawl.

What I really don't understand is why people use the term "he crossed the line"
    Is there an invisible line that (obviously a lot of people) have to constantly be aware of to NOT cross, that could make them say such things if the circumstances are right (or wrong)?

Anyway, in the spirit of free speach, every useless has-been TV muppet should have the right to say what they goddamn please. If only to show the rest of the world that they're nothing but worthless chunks of shit on a downward spiral down the toilet of popular culture.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ive never been a subscriber to the idea the use of racial abuse to demean is proof itself of deeper seated racism. Its not a chain of reasoning that is extended to any other form of verbal abuse. If someone in a fit of anger refers to a woman as a 'fucking bitch' or a man as a 'fat bastard' its rare on that evidence alone for someone to assume they are sexist or to possess a prejudice against the girthy

Ha - Dolo wades in at page 7 and once again, illuminates us with his brilliance.

And by the way, the first definition of "prejudice" = "1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason."

What you just wrote IS evidence of prejudice. Does that mean that Richards would actually go out and start Bull Connor-ing Black people on the street? Who knows but frankly, the very fact that, in a fit of anger, he decides to go on AN EXTENDED RANT about "niggers" and lynching is pretty damning evidence that...

...he's prejudiced!

Deal with it.

• I couldn't get past page 5 of this. You all deserve tons of credit for proving yourselves to be staunch "non-racists"...the complete opposite of Michael Richards.

Plaese to point me to an instance, in this thread, of separation of art and artist.

• shomshom 31 Posts
    I like Seinfeld and Jeru's song called Seinfeld...but i really am upset about Kramer.

Did you know that song was diss record directed at Gangstarr? I really think that it would have been really sick that if Jeru kept working with Premo. They had some joints.

• For what he said, fuck him; there is NO excuse for that. But, I ain't about to hang the man. He is human and flawed- no news flash there. Let's see where he goes from here, and let's try to rise above reveling in one man's humiliation and downfall.

you sound very white

you've said that about me before; zing. if it makes you feel any better, i got made when every reggie white obituary tried to paint him as a homophobe.

• I don't really care about Richards' redemption or damnation. But I also don't need an explanation. It's not necessary. We all carry some measure of ugliness in our heart - it just requires a certain trigger to bring it out and in Richards' case, getting heckled was apparently that trigger.

It doesn't make any sense but it's also not a mystery.

If you don't care, why do we get three pages of 'Career Killing Analysis, vis a vis Elvis Costello, Tom Cruise, and Mel Gibson' from SoulStruts leading academic?

Look, we all care. We're all cranking out 8 fucking pages and growing of analysis of this and its aftermath. Don't try to pull the "man...you guys and you're race threads," shit 4 pages later.

As for the 'why is it so hard to understand?' I don't think it is, and I don't see that being argued. No one is defending what he said. NO ONE. NO ONE.
    Some people, myself included, are arguing that he shouldn't be crucified for this, though. Am I gonna go see a movie with M. Richards in it? nope. But, two minutes does not a man make. I agree with Odub on the, 'for two minutes...blah,blah,blah...'

If I sound white, that's fine, edpowers. but, i believe that for all people.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Start talking about records or I'll smack you all.
    Kramer turns out to show his true colors of being a racist dickhole when under pressure/being heckled. If you can't take heckling in comedy, you're in the wrong profession.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    KK,

I have no clue what you're barking about here.

I'm not complaining at how long the thread is - I never have (though I do think it's gone in strange directions and insofar as that's true, I've already taken responsibility for my contribution to it).

You sound mad, doggie but it's not clear to me what you're barking about except that this is the second time you're trying to suggest I'm pulling cards yet you're the only one trying to make an issue of my "credentials."

I also find it rather ironic that you're trying to make this into something personal when I haven't stepped to you in any similar fashion.

Nice one.

I don't really care about Richards' redemption or damnation. But I also don't need an explanation. It's not necessary. We all carry some measure of ugliness in our heart - it just requires a certain trigger to bring it out and in Richards' case, getting heckled was apparently that trigger.

If you don't care, why do we get three pages of 'Career Killing Analysis, vis a vis Elvis Costello, Tom Cruise, and Mel Gibson' from SoulStruts leading academic?

Look, we all care. We're all cranking out 8 fucking pages and growing of analysis of this and its aftermath. Don't try to pull the "man...you guys and you're race threads," shit 4 pages later.

As for the 'why is it so hard to understand?' I don't think it is, and I don't see that being argued. No one is defending what he said. NO ONE. NO ONE.
    Some people, myself included, are arguing that he shouldn't be crucified for this, though. Am I gonna go see a movie with M. Richards in it? nope. But, two minutes does not a man make. I agree with Odub on the, 'for two minutes...blah,blah,blah...'

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Ive never been a subscriber to the idea the use of racial abuse to demean is proof itself of deeper seated racism. Its not a chain of reasoning that is extended to any other form of verbal abuse. If someone in a fit of anger refers to a woman as a 'fucking bitch' or a man as a 'fat bastard' its rare on that evidence alone for someone to assume they are sexist or to possess a prejudice against the girthy.

The way I read it is a guy pissed him off and he wanted to retaliate in the most vicious way he could think of and chose to call him a nigger amongst other racial references. Now this could be evidence of racist belief on his part but its far from a fore gone conclusion to my penetrating mind.

You sound white.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'm waiting for Big Chan to show up and tell his Beastie Boys at the Apollo story, as per Paul's request all the way back on page 1.

• KK,

I have no clue what you're barking about here.

I'm not complaining at how long the thread is - I never have (though I do think it's gone in strange directions and insofar as that's true, I've already taken responsibility for my contribution to it).

You sound mad, doggie but it's not clear to me what you're barking about except that this is the second time you're trying to suggest I'm pulling cards yet you're the only one trying to make an issue of my "credentials."

I also find it rather ironic that you're trying to make this into something personal when I haven't stepped to you in any similar fashion.

Nice one.

I don't really care about Richards' redemption or damnation. But I also don't need an explanation. It's not necessary. We all carry some measure of ugliness in our heart - it just requires a certain trigger to bring it out and in Richards' case, getting heckled was apparently that trigger.

aww fuck. I took your 'I don't care...' line out of context, and my argument falls flat with the rest of the paragraph. Not my good side or look.
    i apologize

I got defensive because i hate when people say there is nothing to argue after arguing for 8 pages; like, who or when gets to decide the last word in what amounts to a virtual bar conversation?

as for the personal attack. again, not my best look, and for that I apologize. I think that stems from my own personal skepticism and fucked up relationship with academia/academics. (i am a child of two professors, grew up around two universities, and as i've gotten older, I view academia/academics with alternating admiration and disdain.)

sorry this is the second time I've called you out; the first one i enjoyed. this one was me pulling a freshman stunt.

• Plaese to point me to an instance, in this thread, of separation of art and artist.

Here's what I said way back on page 2:

Idiotic that so many people are unable to separate Michael Richards from Cosmo Kramer, a fictitious character that Richards played. I'll have no problem watching Seinfeld.

• Plaese to point me to an instance, in this thread, of separation of art and artist.

one response I got from my Ike turner analogy was "Ike didnt beat women on stage in front of people"...so it is ok to practice your hate and prejudcies in private, but take it to the stage and it is wrong and everything you have done artistically in the past is then negated? Bullshit. I dont think anyone threw away their Ike turner, Brigitte Bardot, or James Brown LPs beacuse of their past indescrections and wrongdoings. Misogyny is just as bad as racism, if not worse...because everyone has a mother.

Richards tried to pull a Lenny Bruce, but real anger and true feelings fucked it all up...dude was/is worng, no doubt about it.

Im with Frank on the free speech issue...let a person say WHATEVER they want, because, only then can you see what a person is really about, otherwise it is the equivelent of a KKK hood...we seem to think if you cant put a face on it, it doesnt exsist.

• the very fact that, in a fit of anger, he decides to go on AN EXTENDED RANT about "niggers" and lynching is pretty damning evidence that...

...he's prejudiced!

Deal with it.

so you are a mind reader and a psychologist now too? who knows what was going through Kramer's head when he said those things. Keep in mind that he was on stage. Maybe he thought he was doing some next level Lenny Bruce shit. Or maybe he just has a lot of hate inside him. Who knows.

Are people really gonna stop watching Seinfeld now? I find Republicans more offensive than Kramer, should I boycott all Bruce Willis movies?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Anyway, in the spirit of free speach, every useless has-been TV muppet should have the right to say what they goddamn please. If only to show the rest of the world that they're nothing but worthless chunks of shit on a downward spiral down the toilet of popular culture.

oh fucking hell yes!

Now get your ass over to Amsterdam so i can buy you a beer or twelve.