New Jay-z Track: Softbatch!

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

GASP... faux fake has turned his back and taken his mouth off of the great Hova!!! It's about time, Jay-Z's BEEN too cotdamn old to satisfy your childish notions of what rap music is supposed to be.

Which are what, exactly? That it needn't be sample-based in order to be "real"? Because as far as I know, that's the only thing that you and I actually disagree on.

I disagree with almost EVERYTHING that you and your ilk stand for. Just to be clear, since you obviously aren't the sharpest knife in the cutlery set, I don't necessarily believe that rap music has to be sample based to be "real". Run DMC "Sucker MCs"? No samples. Doug E & Slick Rick "La Di Da Di"? No samples. Need I go on, wittow sweepyhead? But once again, you bring up this "real schitt" topic when I wasn't even talking about it, yet my routine is "tiresome". PLEASE TO BE SERIOUS

And don't get it twisted: Jay is still probably the greatest MC of all time, and certainly my favorite; he's released plenty of weak tracks before, and none of them have heralded the end of his reign.

So I guess this means that your mouth is back on, huh?

Did I mention that you sound ass-hurt?

Please to tell me what on earth I could be ass-hurt about regarding this tepid conversation that a pinhead (that would be you) has struck up with me.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

wHAT HAPPENED TO FOREVER MACKIN? i CANT RELATE TO THIS NEW OLD MAN HANGIN WITH DUDES FROM COLDPLAY "LOOK AT ALL MY WHITE FRIENDS" JIGGA.

nEW LEVELS OF STUPIDITY WITH EVERY POST!!!!!

Who? What?

Listen lil' man, get your post count up before you start yappin at the mouth like that.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    This entire mess began when someone convinced him to fuck Dame over.

Sean Carter has lost control of Jay-Z

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Well put. You Speaketh the truth.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    spinemagazine.com/music/october/jayz/lostones.mp3

This link still works if anyone is looking (thanks). I don't mind this song at all. Jay-Z (or whoever writes his songs) understands song structure. Verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse-chorus. Crunkersnappers take note.

I don't like Jay-Z's recent appearances selling lots of stuff in television commercials. The sales pitch routine is good money, but overexposure in that capacity can really turn me off of someone. Jay-Z isn't at that level yet, but if this continues, he'll get there.

Best,
    JRoot

PS I would like the faux most chillz battle to continue for some time. Very entertaining stuff.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Jay-Z after Blueprint 1 = cashing checks. Albert Belle-style.

On the other hand: After Scapegoat, this is the best Atmosphere song ever.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    This is way better than 'change clothes'.

Anyway many of yall are playing into Jiggaman's hands- He's just dropping a range of joints to peaque attention like "how is he gonna come now?"

Jay-Z is consistent, aims joints at demographics- a little of this, little of that, his image has been essentially the same for years. although I do find the rap JFK Vegas endorsement Jay-Z boring, just cause everybody looks the same when they're trying to sell you shit, teeth sparkling and all.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    On the other hand: After Scapegoat, this is the best Atmosphere song ever.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Yeah, thats real. Dame would have been around to make fun of him when he tried to drop this kind of shit.

Sad to say, but i dont think jay-z is ever coming back. Rocafella was a great team, but i guess everything has an end to it.

Speaking of which, this is a dr. dre beat? Damn, Its like 2 legends falling off at the same time!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Hella soft. That's not Jay-Z--can't be.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Hella soft. That's not Jay-Z--can't be.

You know what, it's not THAT bad. His sharp and hungry rhyme style is gone, but I'm not mad at the introspective Jay-Z. I think he's just too preoccupied with other matters now for better or worse. Maybe he should just take a hiatus like Jordan (top 5 reasons why you can't blame Michael Jordan for playing baseball)....come back in a few years....go make beats or something.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    um, I'm starting to like this beat...It's not much of what you hear on radio these days, which I can greatly appreciate.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Beat is super

I love how dudes whose last slice of P was in 2003 chime in like they know what's up with ANY feminine....

but I digress...

All I can say is, dude must be feeling pressure most of us couldn't even fathom and I'm feeling the return of as far as his other beats have been, but I'm not digging this song all to much.

For real - give the man a break for Gods sakes.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    And by the way...

wittow sweepyhead

needs to be added to the Soulstrut lexicon STAT

• And by the way...

wittow sweepyhead

as well as

slice of P

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    And by the way...

wittow sweepyhead

• After four listens now, this isn't that bad. The beat is on some "My Block" shit (watered down, sure) and the hook is pretty cool for what is. What bothers me most is that Jay is doing that whispery flow thing, and though it works in the third verse, I feel that it's gimmicky in other parts. And no matter how soft, it takes some major balls (ayo) to put out a verse like the second one, especially for a person of Jay's stature.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Harvey Canal is starting to make a minute grain of sense right now.

• I think that going soft is the new going hard, (what?). I really don't care for Hova as a rapper that much, but he hasnt really made any bad moves yet. I don't think he'll start now.

To paraphrase Jung, as a man ages, his female persona begins to take greater and greater control of his psyche. If he is to continue growing once he reaches 35 or so, he must embrace this feminine side or else suffer the consequences of stunted maturity.
    Jays on it. he knows what hes doing. If only Nas could conceptualize like him...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    but he hasnt really made any bad moves yet.

Reineventing himself as a mafioso-type at about the same time that Westside Connection was doing the same.

"Pay Orphan Annie a portion of your Grammy."

Not sure which song is a worse embodiment of pure trash - H to the Izzo or Girls Girls Girls.

The whole Nas beef =

Consistently passing off the lyrics of others as his own.

The faux retirement thing only endeared the infernal faux.

And so on...

Just to be clearer about my opinion of this track, when I said that it was it was just to use the Jay-Z graemlin.... really, I couldn't care less if I never hear this schitt again. I just personally don't think it's as bad as folks here are making it out to be. Like the hommie said, beat kinda reminds you of the "be real black for me" schitt (or "my block" for heads who may not really know the deal). Like the other hommie said, introspective schitt (or bitch-like schitt, if you will) is not new territory for your nigga Jigga at all. Basically, the song is a non-issue.

And PLAESE don't anybody think for one minute that I consider this to be "that real schitt"... it is not. "Kingdom Come" is that real schitt. "Show Me What You Got" has some real schitty elements. This schitt, while being a very honest song lyrically, has no relation to THAT REAL SCHITT whatsoever. Are you following me now? Good.

• but he hasnt really made any bad moves yet.

Reineventing himself as a mafioso-type at about the same time that Westside Connection was doing the same.

Not sure which song is a worse embodiment of pure trash - H to the Izzo or Girls Girls Girls.

The whole Nas beef =

And so on...

I have nothing to say about his artistic merits. I dont like him much, but he's stayed very popular for over ten years. I dont really understnad popular consumption much so I don't what deeper signifigance it has, but he's still pretty cool to most people. And what the hell is he supposed to be hard about? hes a grown ass man with a live in girlfriend and a day job.
    The Nas beef was fun. We got Ether out it which I still listen to.

• but he hasnt really made any bad moves yet.

ALERT!

All rappers attempting to utilize a "mafioso-type" image bit Westside Connection - and by proxy, THA_BLOWED.

To those keeping score, plaese to take note.

• Just to be clearer about my opinion of this track, when I said that it was it was just to use the Jay-Z graemlin.... really, I couldn't care less if I never hear this schitt again. I just personally don't think it's as bad as folks here are making it out to be. Like the hommie said, beat kinda reminds you of the "be real black for me" schitt (or "my block" for heads who may not really know the deal). Like the other hommie said, introspective schitt (or bitch-like schitt, if you will) is not new territory for your nigga Jigga at all. Basically, the song is a non-issue.

And PLAESE don't anybody think for one minute that I consider this to be "that real schitt"... it is not. "Kingdom Come" is that real schitt. "Show Me What You Got" has some real schitty elements. This schitt, while being a very honest song lyrically, has no relation to THAT REAL SCHITT whatsoever. Are you following me now? Good.

relax, Im right there with you on this. but feel free to rant at me, if you were ranting at me. its like getting don rickles to insult you or something.

Just to be clearer about my opinion of this track, when I said that it was it was just to use the Jay-Z graemlin.... really, I couldn't care less if I never hear this schitt again. I just personally don't think it's as bad as folks here are making it out to be. Like the hommie said, beat kinda reminds you of the "be real black for me" schitt (or "my block" for heads who may not really know the deal). Like the other hommie said, introspective schitt (or bitch-like schitt, if you will) is not new territory for your nigga Jigga at all. Basically, the song is a non-issue.

relax, Im right there with you on this. but feel free to rant at me, if you were ranting at me. its like getting don rickles to insult you or something.

Oh, naw... I wasn't ranting at you at all, Sun_f. My soulstrut rants are usually only directed at faux rillz (aka the great satan).

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

The whole Nas beef =

And so on...

Westside Connection were the first to come with the mafioso stuff? I don't get the comparison of one's Familiac timing to another's unless we're talking about who started what, which neither did.

Just when my foot was starting to taste kinda good.

ALERT!

All rappers attempting to utilize a "mafioso-type" image bit Westside Connection - and by proxy, THA_BLOWED.

To those keeping score, plaese to take note.

My criticism had little to do with biting and everything to do with being a lame.

Jay's most logical conceptual peer at the time was was Mack 10 forchrissakes.

• Are you admitting that WC was also "a lame" at that time?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Jay's most logical conceptual peer at the time was was Mack 10 forchrissakes.

I gotta ask--did you even listen to rap back then?

Half the rappers in New York were talking that linguini mafiosi fettucini capone schitt at the time--Jay was really one of the lesser offenders. But I'm guessing that you're just going off of the cover of Reasonable Doubt here, having never actually heard the album.

Are you admitting that WC was also "a lame" at that time?

Any rapper in a double-breasted suit = lame.