New Jay-z Track: Softbatch!

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Are you admitting that WC was also "a lame" at that time?

Any rapper in a double-breasted suit = lame.

• Are you admitting that WC was also "a lame" at that time?

QUICK! EDIT YOUR POST!

• Are you admitting that WC was also "a lame" at that time?

QUICK! EDIT YOUR POST!

That's a 3 button single-breasted suit.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Thank you SoulStrut for yet another great Friday.

Are you admitting that WC was also "a lame" at that time?

QUICK! EDIT YOUR POST!

There is obviously a level of complexity here that cannot be immediately grasped by minds like ours.

Fortunately, I am confidant that Shied will guide us through it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Jay's most logical conceptual peer at the time was was Mack 10 forchrissakes.

I gotta ask--did you even listen to rap back then?

Half the rappers in New York were talking that linguini mafiosi fettucini capone schitt at the time--Jay was really one of the lesser offenders. But I'm guessing that you're just going off of the cover of Reasonable Doubt here, having never actually heard the album.

Yep, Smoothe the Hustler and Royal Flush and Almighty RSO and Biggie and them were all lame for doing it as well. Neither are 2Pac and Snoop Dogg and Kurupt immune from the criticism.

There are some select times when rappers have pulled off wearing as suit...mostly in videos where the context calls for it...but seriously that mid-90's, straight wannabe Italian overdressed bullschitt was just that.

And never heard Reasobnable Doubt?

One, at that time there was this wack-ass crew of northerners who had just moved to Austin and they seemed to be infesting every house party with a deejay I ever went to within the course of about a year. Beleiev me, I heard reasonable Doubt album tracks way too many times during this stretch. Main dude/rapper in the crew was named Magnus. These dudes for me represented the pinnacle of Reasonable Doubt disciples in this town and believe me they were the corniest dudes ever...bragging about their cue-pee's of brown dirt weed, coming at girls in the most bad-breathed lecherous manner, fronting like rap stars yet always dudding on the mic, etc. It was the most amount of fronting surrounding rap music I had ever seen and even more disgusting is that more than just having to watch it from this partuicular crew of 4-5 dudes was then watching all of these other already-confirmed-as-fools falling for the same schtick. Reasonable Doubt fans are cheeseballs and that's all there is to it.

Or I could tell you about moving out to the Bay in 97 and not having a car so sometimes riding with an old Becky friend of my wife's from Atlanta/Austin who would insist on playing Reasonable Doubt at top volumes at all times. I distinctly remember a time crossing the Richmond Bridge with her and wanting to rip my ears out from the agony of it. The shit just sucks and that's all there is to it.

Half the rappers in New York were talking that linguini mafiosi fettucini capone schitt at the time--Jay was really one of the lesser offenders. But I'm guessing that you're just going off of the cover of Reasonable Doubt here, having never actually heard the album.

Yep, Smoothe the Hustler and Royal Flush and Almighty RSO and Biggie and them were all lame for doing it as well. Neither are 2Pac and Snoop Dogg and Kurupt immune from the criticism.

There are some select times when rappers have pulled off wearing as suit...mostly in videos where the context calls for it...but seriously that mid-90's, straight wannabe Italian overdressed bullschitt was just that.

One, at that time there was this wack-ass crew of northerners who had just moved to Austin and they seemed to be infesting every house party with a deejay I ever went to within the course of about a year. Beleiev me, I heard reasonable Doubt album tracks way too many times during this stretch. Main dude/rapper in the crew was named Magnus[/b]. These dudes for me represented the pinnacle of Reasonable Doubt disciples in this town and believe me they were the corniest dudes ever...bragging about their cue-pee's of brown dirt weed, coming at girls in the most bad-breathed lecherous manner, fronting like rap stars yet always dudding on the mic, etc. It was the most amount of fronting surrounding rap music I had ever seen and even more disgusting is that more than just having to watch it from this partuicular crew of 4-5 dudes was then watching all of these other already-confirmed-as-fools falling for the same schtick. Reasonable Doubt fans are cheeseballs and that's all there is to it.

Or I could tell you about moving out to the Bay in 97 and not having a car so sometimes riding with an old Becky friend of my wife's from Atlanta/Austin who would insist on playing Reasonable Doubt at top volumes at all times. I distinctly remember a time crossing the Richmond Bridge with her and wanting to rip my ears out from the agony of it. The shit just sucks and that's all there is to it.

Excellent post! Especially this part:

...coming at girls in the most bad-breathed lecherous manner...

Those uncouth cads, breath reeking of jackleg spirits! Did you challenge them to a duel?

LAME.

LAME.

To quote Erick Sermon..."when you should be wearing khakis and not dress slacks, that's wack".

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This thread didn't seem like it was destined for Classic Status??? but I think it's definitely in contention now.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Suits have been in the game for a minute.

Double Trouble
    Dr Jeckyl & Mr Hyde

We are not restricted to sneakers and jeans.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Double Trouble
    Dr Jeckyl & Mr Hyde

add:

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
    Cold Crush Brothers
    Fantastic Romantic 5
    Run DMC
    Big Daddy Kane
    Kool G Rap
    Slick Rick
    and the list goes on...

I guess suits are basically the "fifth element" of hip hop.

There are of course varying degrees. This I don't find all that offensive...

Double Trouble
    Dr Jeckyl & Mr Hyde

T.I. has been killing it lately with the suits.

He might be the tightest in the suit game. It never seems gangster cheesy. Southern gentlemenly.

He might be the tightest in the suit game. It never seems gangster cheesy. Southern gentlemenly.

Without a doubt. He's got a lot of flair and it never looks like he's playing dress-up--the best dressed rapper, period.

• I have to agree with Harvey's basic point: Grown men walking around in mafioso, double-breasted suits should be embarrassed. So necessary? No--so adolescent. And the mafia theme as an artistic statement? About 30 years late on that one, guys.

T.I. is really making Fresh Prince look bad in the suit game department right here

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

One, at that time there was this wack-ass crew of northerners who had just moved to Austin and they seemed to be infesting every house party with a deejay I ever went to within the course of about a year. Beleiev me, I heard reasonable Doubt album tracks way too many times during this stretch. Main dude/rapper in the crew was named Magnus. These dudes for me represented the pinnacle of Reasonable Doubt disciples in this town and believe me they were the corniest dudes ever...bragging about their cue-pee's of brown dirt weed, coming at girls in the most bad-breathed lecherous manner, fronting like rap stars yet always dudding on the mic, etc. It was the most amount of fronting surrounding rap music I had ever seen and even more disgusting is that more than just having to watch it from this partuicular crew of 4-5 dudes was then watching all of these other already-confirmed-as-fools falling for the same schtick. Reasonable Doubt fans are cheeseballs and that's all there is to it.

But what do you think about the music on Reasonable Doubt?

People playing themselves due to their reaction to an album has ruined it for you?
    You relate to music in a really weird way.

Smoothe Da Hustler in a suit?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

T.I. is really making Fresh Prince look bad in the suit game department right here

Will's looking old.

T.I.'s suit is dope, yeah.

Without a doubt. He's got a lot of flair and it never looks like he's playing dress-up--the best dressed rapper, period.

You know, if you print out TI's photo, you can then make out with it.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

He's also rocking this season's hot colour - grey - so he's even further ahead of your man Willard. Not such a Fresh Prince after all.

• T.I. is really making Fresh Prince look bad in the suit game department right here

He's also rocking this season's hot colour - grey - so he's even further ahead of your man Willard. Not such a Fresh Prince after all.

I don't know, man. That full windsor is looking damn sloppy. The pocket square and suit are cool, but step up that tie game. Will is looking kinda bloated, and the suit's a bit dull, but since you can only see it from the side, it's a bit hard to tell.

• Weren't some of you fawning over this photo like so many Joan Rivers moments ago criticizing Jay-Z's softbatchness?

Weren't some of you fawning over this photo like so many Joan Rivers moments ago criticizing Jay-Z's softbatchness?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I don't know, man. That full windsor is looking damn sloppy. The pocket square and suit are cool, but step up that tie game. Will is looking kinda bloated, and the suit's a bit dull, but since you can only see it from the side, it's a bit hard to tell.

Mike, It's a nice suit. I didn't say he was wearing it well.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I have to agree with Harvey's basic point: Grown men walking around in mafioso, double-breasted suits should be embarrassed. So necessary? No--so adolescent.

oh of course...so grown men wearing XXXL shirts and a baseball cap that is 2 times the size of their head is the eptomy of 'a good look'

or better yet, keep it really really real adult and wear this hat instead (ala busta rhymes)

the idea that we have people faulting men in their 20's and 30's for wearing suits is perhaps the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

and archaic....you can't give Casanova the pass just cuz he's a good dude. You must keep your logic straight....oh wait, what i am thinking.

and archaic....you can't give Casanova the pass just cuz he's a good dude. You must keep your logic straight....oh wait, what i am thinking.

It's one thing to wear a casual suit ala Whodini and Project Crew. It's a whole 'nother to sport some stuffy piece of formal status wear.

If the theme of your album cover is attending a funeral...fine. If the concept of your video is a high brow corporate business meeting...fine.

But if you expect me, someone who has owned maybe 5 suits - all crappy - in his entire lifetime, to give you props for your choice of daily business attire...then I gotta say in response, leave that shit in the boardroom where it belongs.

A better way to show me how much money you have would be to just cut me a check.

If the clubs that you rap in have dress codes, eff em.

To quote Mike G..."You look like a clown in that suit".

The bottom line to me is that hip-hop and assimilation into a blatantly racist society don't make a good pairing.

You want to be a grown man? Then respect women and take care of your kids.

And if you really want to look like Arnold Schwarzegnegger, I'd suggest lifting weights instead.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

It's one thing to wear a casual suit ala Whodini and Project Crew. It's a whole 'nother to sport some stuffy piece of formal status wear.

But if you expect me, someone who has owned maybe 5 suits - all crappy - in his entire lifetime, to give you props for your choice of daily business attire...then I gotta say in response, leave that shit in the boardroom where it belongs.

so cheap suits are fine.. but nice ones are bad. that's hilarious. u unhappy, scrappy?

so now dressing nice is a foul in the 'shiezy mind garden?

The bottom line to me is that hip-hop and assimilation into a blatantly racist society don't make a good pairing.

So wearing a suit is assimilation?