New Jay-z Track: Softbatch!

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The bottom line to me is that hip-hop and assimilation into a blatantly racist society don't make a good pairing.

So wearing a suit is assimilation?

read between the between lines in between

wearing suits = blatently racist

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Maybe i'm incorrect, but isn't the whole origin of this suit thing to show that you're rising above adversity? We can talk for days about how the mainstream or public eye didn't want to see hip hop grow or realize it's credibility (until they realized it was a cash cow), but isn't that what the symbol of the suit represents? I am not talking about here and now obviously, because it's all a stage show at this point, but what about the factual ghetto experience?

Sure it's overdone at this point, but when you look at the shift in overall image in hip hop, rappers became a lot more accessible and less scary (and thus less bothered by old white people who have the power to make noise) when the image cleaned up a bit.

Look at the NBA's dress code drama from last year. It's all about the overall image projected to the masses. Rappers with a pant leg up and a Tech-9 in their hand: One news story, Rappers in suits opening up clubs in Atlantic City or buying a basketball team: A different story altogether.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The bottom line to me is that hip-hop and assimilation into a blatantly racist society don't make a good pairing.

So wearing a suit is assimilation?

It keeps getting better.

• I have to agree with Harvey's basic point: Grown men walking around in mafioso, double-breasted suits should be embarrassed. So necessary? No--so adolescent.

oh of course...so grown men wearing XXXL shirts and a baseball cap that is 2 times the size of their head is the eptomy of 'a good look'

I never said that, though, did I?

Maybe you don't grasp the idea behind these double-breasted suits (which is likely), but when placed in the context of mafia-loving, Don Dadda albums, they come across as misguided homages at best, Costume Warehouse at worst.

And let's be perfectly clear, here: Although those suits may have been expensive, they look "really really real" cheap.

EDIT:

I'd just like to note that Harvey and I no longer agree.

Weren't some of you fawning over this photo like so many Joan Rivers moments ago criticizing Jay-Z's softbatchness?

There is a word for males that can appreciate a nice suit: MEN

• Maybe if he was in a Canadian Tuxedo I'd go along with you.

T.I. is really making Fresh Prince look bad in the suit game department right here

He's also rocking this season's hot colour - grey - so he's even further ahead of your man Willard. Not such a Fresh Prince after all.

I don't know, man. That full windsor is looking damn sloppy. The pocket square and suit are cool, but step up that tie game. Will is looking kinda bloated, and the suit's a bit dull, but since you can only see it from the side, it's a bit hard to tell.

Mike, It's a nice suit. I didn't say he was wearing it well.

I think that weird indentation in the knot may be a trick of the light or something.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    So in order to be a man one must fawn over someones clothes but talk shit about they say?

PHATT!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Did I mention that this guy likes Jay-Z's new material?

So in order to be a man one must fawn over someones clothes but talk shit about they say?

PHATT!

What are you talking about? Seriously.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I really think the world needs the Archaic Guide To Realness For the Connected???. Of course, the very fact that anyone would need to read such a guide would be an instant sign of -ness but at least we could keep all the rules straight.

By the way, is the issue here rappers wearing suits? Or just Black people wearing suits?

I mean, is this a reflection of racist assimilation?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Btw, I'm assuming Archaic was joking, right?

...right?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

PHATT!

What are you talking about? Seriously.

I'm just trying to learn the Faux_rules to being a man

Class is in session

keep teaching

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    By the way, is the issue here rappers wearing suits? Or just Black people wearing suits?

"I pimp CEOs!!"

I really think the world needs the Archaic Guide To Realness For the Connected???. Of course, the very fact that anyone would need to read such a guide would be an instant sign of -ness but at least we could keep all the rules straight.

You sound disconnected--Archaic's view of realness is not so much a set of rules as it is an ever-shifting worldview.

It could never be distilled into a form that could be committed to paper.

• I don't know, man. That full windsor is looking damn sloppy. The pocket square and suit are cool, but step up that tie game. Will is looking kinda bloated, and the suit's a bit dull, but since you can only see it from the side, it's a bit hard to tell.

Both of them are killing it. TI really went all out with the 3 piece suit and the longer tie...and the pocket square is a perfect accent. Don't give either of them too much credit though, i'm sure a stylist or two had a hand in their outfits, maybe not for will since he is such a vet.

this business about rappers not wearing suits is absurd. years ago, everyone wore suits on a daily basis in social settings, regardless of class. any men's fashion expert will tell you that nothing looks better on a man than a nice suit.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    rap has already been assimilated... get over it.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

and archaic....you can't give Casanova the pass just cuz he's a good dude. You must keep your logic straight....oh wait, what i am thinking.

It's one thing to wear a casual suit ala Whodini and Project Crew. It's a whole 'nother to sport some stuffy piece of formal status wear.

If the theme of your album cover is attending a funeral...fine. If the concept of your video is a high brow corporate business meeting...fine.

But if you expect me, someone who has owned maybe 5 suits - all crappy - in his entire lifetime, to give you props for your choice of daily business attire...then I gotta say in response, leave that shit in the boardroom where it belongs.

A better way to show me how much money you have would be to just cut me a check.

If the clubs that you rap in have dress codes, eff em.

To quote Mike G..."You look like a clown in that suit".

You want to be a grown man? Then respect women and take care of your kids.

And if you really want to look like Arnold Schwarzegnegger, I'd suggest lifting weights instead.
    Stop telling Black people how to dress.

and archaic....you can't give Casanova the pass just cuz he's a good dude. You must keep your logic straight....oh wait, what i am thinking.

It's one thing to wear a casual suit ala Whodini and Project Crew. It's a whole 'nother to sport some stuffy piece of formal status wear.

If the theme of your album cover is attending a funeral...fine. If the concept of your video is a high brow corporate business meeting...fine.

But if you expect me, someone who has owned maybe 5 suits - all crappy - in his entire lifetime, to give you props for your choice of daily business attire...then I gotta say in response, leave that shit in the boardroom where it belongs.

A better way to show me how much money you have would be to just cut me a check.

If the clubs that you rap in have dress codes, eff em.

To quote Mike G..."You look like a clown in that suit".

You want to be a grown man? Then respect women and take care of your kids.

And if you really want to look like Arnold Schwarzegnegger, I'd suggest lifting weights instead.
    Stop telling Black people how to dress.

I also like the advice on childrearing and relations between the sexes. And the request for money. Black people are fortunate to have Shied on the team.

Nice suit--a better way to show me how much money you have would be to just cut me a check.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yes, dressing in a suit is the equivalent of wearing the Man's uniform.

And no, I'm not joking.

Y'all can put stock in how much people should be admired for striving to live up to an outdated, impractical European aesthetic all you want. That's of course your own volition.

Just don't expect me to agree with you.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I also like the advice on childrearing and relations between the sexes. And the request for money. Black people are fortunate to have Shied on the team.

Why do you assume that I'm only talking about black people?

For instance, faux, I already know you look and act just like the Man. Still doesn't mean that you have to dress lke him.

• Y'all can put stock in how much people should be admired for striving to live up to an outdated, impractical European aesthetic all you want. That's of course your own volition.

Like rappers wearing diamonds?

Why do you assume that I'm only talking about black people?

Because the thread was about rappers and all of the people you have thus far identified as perpetrators of fashion crimes have been Black.

Crazy, I know.

But if you're trying to tell us that you also intend your advice to pertain to the many white rappers posing on their album covers in doublebreasted suits, then so be it.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    i don't know what's better in this thread... People trying to argue/understand Archaic's perception, or the people over-justifying why they are critiquing fashion while maintaining trying to their "cred". Either way its very amusing... carry on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Y'all can put stock in how much people should be admired for striving to live up to an outdated, impractical European aesthetic all you want. That's of course your own volition.

So what the hell are you advocating. You sound like THE MAN w/ that talk.

So what the hell are you advocating.

Public nudity and tax revolts.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Speaking of which, this is a dr. dre beat? Damn, Its like 2 legends falling off at the same time!

Who knows if that is a Dre beat or not. Ghost producers have been doing "Dre" beats for a while now.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I leave you guys alone for 2 weeks and this place has degenerated into a cess pool.

Speaking of which, this is a dr. dre beat? Damn, Its like 2 legends falling off at the same time!

Who knows if that is a Dre beat or not. Ghost producers have been doing "Dre" beats for a while now.

Yooooo Chan! I saw some Escada ties this week that were actually pretty decent!