noz's jay-z post

deejdeej 5,125 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=2243I'm saying though. Vol. 3 has some serious competition from Vol. 2, for the Too $hort-laced track about snitches and Swizz's best beat (Money Cash Hoes) evar. But the (perfect) 4 timbaland tracks on vol 3, Premier's best track for jay ("So Ghetto,") yes I will be riding with vol. 3.Listening to Reasonable Doubt...it sounds so haphazard. Poorly sequenced. Some tracks work better than others, beats are thin, his rapping even sounds weak like his voice is cracking from a dry throat or something.

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Reged: 05/27/06

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=2243

I'm saying though. Vol. 3 has some serious competition from Vol. 2, for the Too $hort-laced track about snitches and Swizz's best beat (Money Cash Hoes) evar. But the (perfect) 4 timbaland tracks on vol 3, Premier's best track for jay ("So Ghetto,") yes I will be riding with vol. 3.

Listening to Reasonable Doubt...it sounds so haphazard. Poorly sequenced. Some tracks work better than others, beats are thin, his rapping even sounds weak like his voice is cracking from a dry throat or something.

Vol 3 had some dope shit on it. Vol 2 was garbation. Blueprint and Dynasty smash both of of em though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Reged: 05/27/06

137 of them were in BSides' hip hop album thread.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    =around 70 posts a week averages to like 10 posts a day? I'm out of control.

=around 70 posts a week averages to like 10 posts a day? I'm out of control.

go hard or go home

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I'm saying though. Vol. 3 has some serious competition from Vol. 2, for the Too $hort-laced track about snitches and Swizz's best beat (Money Cash Hoes) evar. But the (perfect) 4 timbaland tracks on vol 3, Premier's best track for jay ("So Ghetto,") yes I will be riding with vol. 3.

Listening to Reasonable Doubt...it sounds so haphazard. Poorly sequenced. Some tracks work better than others, beats are thin, his rapping even sounds weak like his voice is cracking from a dry throat or something.

Vol 3 had some dope shit on it. Vol 2 was garbation. Blueprint and Dynasty smash both of of em though.
    I would have gone along with this when Blueprint first came out - I thought it was the greatest. But since that Kanye/Blaze thing became more common than wack scott storch beats, its aged pretty badly for me. When it sounded all new that was the best, but I'll take cocky mid-period Jay rapping on timbo and swizz tracks above early generic jay or *soulful* blueprint jay at this point (and definitely over post-retirement-jay not just coasting, but rapping about coasting)

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Post deleted by Brian

I would have gone along with this when Blueprint first came out - I thought it was the greatest. But since that Kanye/Blaze thing became more common than syphilis at ed powers' mom's house, its aged pretty badly for me. When it sounded all new that was the best, but I'll take cocky mid-period Jay over timbo and swizz tracks above early generic jay or *soulful* blueprint jay at this point (and definitely over post-retirement-jay not just coasting, but rapping about coasting)

The soul thing might have gotten generic but NOBODY is making blap like "Never Change" and "You Don't Know". Blame Heatmakers I guess. Swizz is not for me. Timbo's one beat on Volume 3 with the clap is the shit though. Jay might have been dope on the mic on Volume 2, but I can't deal with the beats on there.

• I could go on forever about how much i disagree with what he said. Instead i'll just say i don't agree at all.

I wanted to stop reading at.. "The production is good enough, but rarely stellar"

No.... just ... NO.. NO .. NO.

Don't get me started.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i know you didnt say what i think you said ?

or am i trippin ?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

or am i trippin ?
    Are you gonna defend scott storch beats now?

or am i trippin ?

I missed whatever blastphemy he dropped?? Wtf.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I did a yr mama joke that was bad for karma. Lets move on.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    hip hop heads wanna clown me all the time for this, but i've never heard a single jay z album. i've heard a lot of his songs but none of them ever made me wanna go out and cop any of his albums.
    shit, am i missing something here?
    from day one, i never understood why there was so much hype around him. first time i heard him was on the stretch armstrong bobbito show freestyling with big L... compared to L he sounds like a chump little school kid trying to be down. still does.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    noz is wrong

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Don't take what I'm saying as Noz's defense bcuz he'll be more eloquent but

uhhh doesn't Big L make everybody look bad in that kind of atmosphere? Too bad L never made albums as strong as Jay's.

hip hop heads wanna clown me all the time for this, but i've never heard a single jay z album. i've heard a lot of his songs but none of them ever made me wanna go out and cop any of his albums.
    shit, am i missing something here?
    from day one, i never understood why there was so much hype around him. first time i heard him was on the stretch armstrong bobbito show freestyling with big L... compared to L he sounds like a chump little school kid trying to be down. still does.

Dude I swear that your my boy Moss but you're not. He's the only other guy I know who just doesn't listen to Jiggaman.

big L is dope.

the problem is, no matter how many dudes want to write about this shit on the internet, the bottom line is

Reasonable Doubt: CLASSIC

Vol 2:

Vol 3:

Dynasty:

Blueprint: CLASSIC

Blueprint 2:

Black Album:

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the first full jay-z album i listened to was black album

Dude I swear that your my boy Moss but you're not. He's the only other guy I know who just doesn't listen to Jiggaman.

i know even attic had the black album in his car, i was thinking like "damn man he got to you too".

it's a shame, jigga haters are few and far between...

jigga haters stand up!

big L is dope.

the problem is, no matter how many dudes want to write about this shit on the internet, the bottom line is

Vol 2:

Vol 3:

Dynasty:

Blueprint 2:

Black Album:

You forgot In My Lifetime Vol. 1 which gets for "Imaginary Playmates" "Streets is Watching" "Where I'm From" and a "Million" and for "Sunshine" and that Glenn Frey bullshit.

i know even attic had the black album in his car, i was thinking like "damn man he got to you too".

it's a shame, jigga haters are few and far between...

jigga haters stand up!

lol Pee is a old man though. He was trying to get hip to what was hot in the streets again. I'm sure he's riding around high as fuck blasting some psych raer right now.

ok, yeh that million track was fire...

streets is watching.... meh.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    haha I think I like that Glenn Frey song. "Where I'm From" though is killer.

lol Pee is a old man though. He was trying to get hip to what was hot in the streets again. I'm sure he's riding around high as fuck blasting some psych raer right now.

hahaha... come on man, he's not that old. he's still making those crazy face melting beats. if he produced a jay z album, now that i would drop money on.

big L is dope.

Vol 1:

Vol 2:

Vol 3:

Dynasty:

Blueprint 2:

Black Album:

You forgot In My Lifetime Vol. 1 which gets for "Imaginary Playmates" "Streets is Watching" "Where I'm From" and a "Million" and for "Sunshine" and that Glenn Frey bullshit.

You're right... I've had a bit to drink... changes reflected above

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Too bad L never made albums as strong as Jay's.

His one album was better than any lp Jay-Z dropped.

although "Streets Is Watching" and "Where I'm From" rank among the best shit dude ever did

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    although "Streets Is Watching" and "Where I'm From" rank among the best shit dude ever did

half the beats on Vol.1 are wack, but I put it on just for "Streets is watching" sometimes.

The Black Album isn't aging well...I really haven't got back to listening to it since its release.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    How can you like rap music and not like Jay-Z? You don't have to think he's the GOAT, but if you don't like Jay-Z at any level, you're just not a very intelligent rap listener.

Dude can rap.

-e