Movies that made you weep...like a little bitch

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I fucking hate movies that totally set you up emotionally like most of the ones listed here.

Mask and Forest Gump are easily two of the worst movies ever made. And fuck that sappy ass Italian crossover pap.

That part at the end when the latino dudes lil daughter runs out and tries to save him from getting shot (in the pic)...had me pretty choked up

The most contrived and ridiculous scene from the most contrived and ridiculous movie ever made.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

That part at the end when the latino dudes lil daughter runs out and tries to save him from getting shot (in the pic)...had me pretty choked up

The most contrived and ridiculous movie ever made.

hey, you know it was almost a year ago we had our H Swank Oscar blow-out? who you liking this year so i know to choose my words carefully!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I haven't been more depressed and simultaneously angry than I was watching this for the first time.

hey, you know it was almost a year ago we had our H Swank Oscar blow-out? who you liking this year so i know to choose my words carefully!

I still stand by Eastwood's films. But I understand and appreciate the annoyance with Ms Swank.

Some real fucking terds up this year. Some good performances with shitty scripts and direction.

ACTOR -- LEADING [both TH and DS below were great in otherwise lame movies. PSH was fantastic in an otherwise lame movie]
    Philip Seymour Hoffman - CAPOTE
    Terrence Howard - HUSTLE & FLOW
    Heath Ledger - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
    Joaquin Phoenix - WALK THE LINE
    David Strathairn - GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.

ACTOR -- SUPPORTING [GC was sumblime in that clusterfuck of a movie]
    George Clooney - SYRIANA
    Matt Dillon - CRASH
    Paul Giamatti - CINDERELLA MAN
    Jake Gyllenhaal - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
    William Hurt - A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE

ACTRESS -- LEADING
    Judi Dench - MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS

Felicity Huffman - TRANSAMERICA [not terrible]
    Keira Knightley - PRIDE & PREJUDICE
    Charlize Theron - NORTH COUNTRY
    Reese Witherspoon - WALK THE LINE

ACTRESS -- SUPPORTING
    Amy Adams - JUNEBUG
    Catherine Keener - CAPOTE
    Frances McDormand - NORTH COUNTRY
    Rachel Weisz - THE CONSTANT GARDENER
    Michelle Williams - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

DIRECTING
    BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
    CAPOTE
    CRASH
    GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
    MUNICH

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE [It's hard to hate on docus, but what about Mad Hot Ballroom? was that last year?]
    DARWIN???S NIGHTMARE
    ENRON: THE SMARTEST GUYS
    IN THE ROOM
    MARCH OF THE PENGUINS
    MURDERBALL
    STREET FIGHT

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM [not seen any of these]
    DON???T TELL
    JOYEUX NO??L
    PARADISE NOW
    SOPHIE SCHOLL - THE FINAL DAYS
    TSOTSI

TSOTSI

I REALLY wanna see this.

so backasswards too. William Hurt was the worst part of HOV. So you also have shitty performances in otherwise great movies.

Whatever.

Anyway, I love the right wing flip out over all the gay and anti-american movies this year. Last year they flipped out over euthenasia. Ha. Fuckers.

so backasswards too. William Hurt was the worst part of HOV. So you also have shitty performances in otherwise great movies.

Whatever.

All I've seen is HOV, Capote and Crash and from that little bit I agree with your picks...though I did like Keener in Capote. Of the three, HOV is my favourite, one of my faves from last year actually.

Hurt getting nominated for HOV is a joke. All the acting was, I dunno, off in that film. I guess like other movies gleaned from comics? But as one big package, it all somehow worked. Such a good tight film - well-paced, hot sex and very well-done violence.

• PARADISE NOW is amazing...
    I watched a print at our last years International film festival...but thay had a print sans subtitles..
    Then i saw with... A Palestinian persepective on suicide bombers. Amazing stuff.

No weepie moments. And one of those films that would probably be derided in the US merely because it looks at these people (terrorists) as humans. Which they are.. Der!

TSOTSI is also a pretty tough film from Sth Africa that is a definite must see. The best SA film i've ever seen. Raw, gritty & a side of SA we don't commonly see depicted in film.

Joyeux Noel was based on a true story. an amalgamation of of events during a Christmas truce in WW1.
    A good film, but not brilliant.

Sophie Scholl hasn't screened here yet. About a resistance group of Germans against the Nazis. & I know nothing about Don't Tell.

• That part at the end when the latino dudes lil daughter runs out and tries to save him from getting shot (in the pic)...had me pretty choked up

The most contrived and ridiculous scene from the most contrived and ridiculous movie ever made.

Please explain what you mean...

I didn't think it was greatest movie ever made, but I did think it was one of the best of 2005 for sure...

What's so contrived about it?

All the acting was, I dunno, off in that film. I guess like other movies gleaned from comics? But as one big package, it all somehow worked. Such a good tight film - well-paced, hot sex and very well-done violence.

I agree.

But I think most of the acting in HOV was solid --maybe intentionally off?--Vigo, the kid who played his son, even Ed Harris, but especially Maria Bello.

I hope Cronenberg makes more films like this.

I didn't think it was greatest movie ever made, but I did think it was one of the best of 2005 for sure...

this review says it all

Cineaste review

this review says it all

Cineaste review

Couldn't alot of that be scrubbed up to plot devices instead of contrivance? It is Hollywood after all...

Everything. Where to start?

This film is a perfect example of the problems with many films this year. Great actors with shitty scripts and terrible direction.

Missbasie is thinking, but your boy Paul Haggis (Million$Bay) wrote it. But it goes to show that in the hands of a lame director, an otherwise good script can come off ridiculous. I imagine if Haggis would have also directed Million$Baby-instead of Eastwood???then it would have been a terd like Crash.

So many ridiculous scenes.

1. The Ludacriss car jacking scene.
    2. The Matt Dillon molesting Thandi Newton and then saving her life scenes.
    3. Shaun Toub trying to buy a gun scene.
    4. The Sandra Bullock bitching about the locksmith scene.
    5. Then Micheal Pena shooting scene with Shaun Toub.

Michael Pena???s character (and Loretta Devine--but her role was very minor in the film) was the only person who was not an over-the-top racist. Granted a lot of people are racist these days, this film misrepresents contempory racism as being sort of out in the open. I think this does a great disservice to address the issues of racism under these misleading and contrive situations. Racism, these days is subtle, but equally harmful. So much so that you shouldn't even have to watch a film that is explicitly about racism, like Crash, to get it.

this review says it all

Cineaste review

Couldn't alot of that be scrubbed up to plot devices instead of contrivance? It is Hollywood after all...

you say tom-ay-to i say tom-ah-to - they're kind of the same and both amount to some weak-ass filmmaking to me.

this review says it all

Cineaste review

you say tom-ay-to i say tom-ah-to - they're kind of the same and both amount to some weak-ass filmmaking to me.

yeah, I guess plot device is the hollywood code word for bullshit scene.

• I fucking hate movies that totally set you up emotionally like most of the ones listed here.

Mask and Forest Gump are easily two of the worst movies ever made. And fuck that sappy ass Italian crossover pap.

I'm with you here, Frank. It's funny, though. I can read a 600-page James Baldwin book that's depressing from (literally) the first paragraph and love every minute of it--and that lasts for a few weeks, whereas a movie is only two hours.

And word to nzshadow: "Once Were Warriors" definitely brought me way, way down in a very real way. Jesus, so depressing.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I was kinda young when i saw it.

man I feel older on this board by the day.

• I fucking hate movies that totally set you up emotionally like most of the ones listed here.

I'm with you here, Frank. It's funny, though. I can read a 600-page James Baldwin book that's depressing from (literally) the first paragraph and love every minute of it--and that lasts for a few weeks, whereas a movie is only two hours.

Yeah, but a book like "Another Country," has a lot more subtelty and nuance than a movie that floats along with greeting-card wisdom such as, "life is like a box of chocolates". The second leans more towards pandering. Or bludgeoning.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

this film used to make me weep every time i saw it, prob one of my fav films ever

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

I saw it with a girlfriend in Stockholm who is an active feminist. I didn't really know much about it in advance, so my expectations were low. Needless to say, I was COMPLETELY floored by it. I didn't cry during the movie, I was just in a state of shock.

When the film was over, my girlfriend was like "yeah, those were some really bad guys, let's go to my place and eat some pizza", but I was still dumbfounded and deeply moved. I told her I had to take a walk, so I went to the nearby woods, found a private spot and went apeshit, smashing logs, big branches and small trees whilst crying and screaming my ass off. About half an hour later I was good again, but I still get teary when I think of this film.

SPOILERS[/b]

My BF too. I could feel him getting upset as we were watching it and by the time she gets locked up in Sweden and is raped in the bathroom, he lost it and walked out of the living room. If there were woods by our place - I think he would have done like you. He watched the rest of it the next day and thinks it's a fantastic film, as do I.

I haven't see Hole in my Heart, but I love Moodysson's other films. It's interesting how he is getting darker and darker with every film.

I dunno why I lost it like that, but I guess one of the main reasons was that I felt utterly disgusted at the male gender right there and then. Yes, I felt 'dirty' . ALL the men in that film where complete bastards, except Lilja's friend Volodja back in Estonia, and he was a little kid. I commend Moodysson for not watering anything down or making any easy turns, i.e. "the noble customer", which is such a clich??. It was just grim from beginning to end. And pretty damn realistic in my opinion.

I live in an area of Copenhagen where there is a brothel/whorehouse on every corner, and the "workforce" mainly consists of girls who have stories similar to Lilja's. Girls from various Eastern European countries, African countries and Thailand. Often underage or still in their teens, brought here illegally. Girls who are tricked to come here thinking they're going to a land of milk and honey to do legit work, only to be held in modern day slavery as fucktoys for creepy customers around the clock. It's highly organized and the police are having a hard time cracking down on it because the girls are threatened to silence. I just can't stand shit like that.

I want to see 'Hole In My Heart' too.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

i definitely had a lump in my throat when the kid's friend got shot.

i definitely had a lump in my throat when the kid's friend got shot.

pics not showing but empire of the sun has made me weep as well, at a couple points in the fim

christian bale was the only child actor that i respected as an actor

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

this film used to make me weep every time i saw it, prob one of my fav films ever

MAJOR CO-SIGN.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

ever?

ever?

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

for the father-son moments. good movie too and i don't play chess.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

for the father-son moments. good movie too and i don't play chess.