Movies that made you weep...like a little bitch

1235»

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I can't watch this movie without bleeding

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I saw it with a girlfriend in Stockholm who is an active feminist. I didn't really know much about it in advance, so my expectations were low. Needless to say, I was COMPLETELY floored by it. I didn't cry during the movie, I was just in a state of shock.

When the film was over, my girlfriend was like "yeah, those were some really bad guys, let's go to my place and eat some pizza", but I was still dumbfounded and deeply moved. I told her I had to take a walk, so I went to the nearby woods, found a private spot and went apeshit, smashing logs, big branches and small trees whilst crying and screaming my ass off. About half an hour later I was good again, but I still get teary when I think of this film.

SPOILERS[/b]

My BF too. I could feel him getting upset as we were watching it and by the time she gets locked up in Sweden and is raped in the bathroom, he lost it and walked out of the living room. If there were woods by our place - I think he would have done like you. He watched the rest of it the next day and thinks it's a fantastic film, as do I.

I haven't see Hole in my Heart, but I love Moodysson's other films. It's interesting how he is getting darker and darker with every film.

I dunno why I lost it like that, but I guess one of the main reasons was that I felt utterly disgusted at the male gender right there and then. Yes, I felt 'dirty' . ALL the men in that film where complete bastards, except Lilja's friend Volodja back in Estonia, and he was a little kid. I commend Moodysson for not watering anything down or making any easy turns, i.e. "the noble customer", which is such a clich??. It was just grim from beginning to end. And pretty damn realistic in my opinion.

I live in an area of Copenhagen where there is a brothel/whorehouse on every corner, and the "workforce" mainly consists of girls who have stories similar to Lilja's. Girls from various Eastern European countries, African countries and Thailand. Often underage or still in their teens, brought here illegally. Girls who are tricked to come here thinking they're going to a land of milk and honey to do legit work, only to be held in modern day slavery as fucktoys for creepy customers around the clock. It's highly organized and the police are having a hard time cracking down on it because the girls are threatened to silence. I just can't stand shit like that.

I want to see 'Hole In My Heart' too.

SPOILERS[/b]
    I don???t want to do arm-chair psychiatry, but speaking personally, I would guess is that this kind of thing is much more part of women???s psyche and men are rarely confronted with rape in such a stark, unrelenting and non-stylized way as in Lilya. Whether or not it happens to one of us or someone we know, it???s always a possibility that it could happen to any of us. So in terms of what happens in Lilya - to put it crudely - it???s old news. The one thing that the film did that was so smart, was during the scenes with the johns, the camera angle was her POV - it put male viewers somewhere they rarely are and I think made it clear that it was not sex but her getting assaulted over and over again.

I've not heard good things about Hole in my Heart...but feel like I should see it as I like his work so much and am interested in that 'progression of an artist' kind of way.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I can't watch this movie without bleeding

"the truck, im doing it for the truck"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

When he flys around the planet to ressurect Lois Lane.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    I have never cried because of a movie, but I have been close a couple of times. Cosign on Elephant Man's quality. That Crash review was very eye-opening as well, thanks for posting it.

Shit that has gotten me very emotional though:

Such a beatiful film from Sweden made in 1969 by the director of "Songs from the second floor" Roy Andersson.It's name is traslated as "Swedish Lovestory"

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts

SPOILERS RE: LILJA 4-EVER[/b]
    I don???t want to do arm-chair psychiatry, but speaking personally, I would guess is that this kind of thing is much more part of women???s psyche and men are rarely confronted with rape in such a stark, unrelenting and non-stylized way as in Lilya. Whether or not it happens to one of us or someone we know, it???s always a possibility that it could happen to any of us. So in terms of what happens in Lilya - to put it crudely - it???s old news. The one thing that the film did that was so smart, was during the scenes with the johns, the camera angle was her POV - it put male viewers somewhere they rarely are and I think made it clear that it was not sex but her getting assaulted over and over again.

In 4 years of college at least 5 women I knew were victims of sexual assault. As outraged as you get every time it happens, it becomes in a way a fact of life. I kind of came out of college feeling lucky it didn't happen to me. Scary as f*ck, but true.

not to get all Kiwi on you, but this movie did my head in as well, could'a been a heavy dose of homesickness, but damn...

I loved this movie so much.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    [color:white]dudeIcriedwhenForestGumpwastalkingtoJenny'sgravestone.[/color]

I loved this movie so much.

the scene on the Marae when she says "sorry" over and over...

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    Forgot about Elephant man, too sad too sad. The end of Straight Story welled me up as well.

This got to me as well, Emily Watson is truly in this film.

Lars Von Trier........This guy can makes movies like a motherfucker!!!
    Seriously his movies are hard to forget!
    I can't say I completely agree with his dark and twisted perspective of human nature, but he knows how to convey what he feels.

ON A SIDE NOTE:
    While consoling his mother on her death bed she revealed to him that the father he had grown up was not his real father. But a previous boss with whom she had an affair with. She never ever told him before, and he went through his whole thinking his stepfather was his real dad and that he was jewish. And to make things even more fucked up, when Lars Von Trier tried to get in contact with his real father (an aristocratic doctor who was married with children and grandchildren), he refused to have any thing to do with him or even talk to him. He even took legal action to prevent Von Trier from getting in touch with him or his family.

I guess it is no suprise he has some fucked up views on the world.

I haven't been more depressed and simultaneously angry than I was watching this for the first time.

Yeah, this movie ruined my night.

Anyhoo, here are some more flicks that will get you all emotional like a wee, sissy, girl.

DDDDDUUUUUHHHHHHH?

Mother fuckin' over the top action, coupled with some intense ass drama!

This movie did not make me cry, but after seeing this movie and then taking a personal inventory of my own life, I understood
    why this guy goes bannanas just how depressing the movie was.
    Good soundtrack also...(by Jim O'Rourke for all you horn rimmed glasses wearing
    mother fuckers out there)

Generally speaking I can't stand Steven Speilberg, but I will give this guy 110%
    credit for this movie. Granted genocide is no barrel of sunshine but the shit he chose to portray will make anyone reach for a tissue.

Not only is Rocko forced back in to poverty, but he gets dissed by his protege!
    WTF?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Every Christmas I make sure wifey can't see my face at the end of this movie, but at least I'm getting all misty in a good way:

This one also got me, but in a bad way.

Ellen Burstyn's character losing control over her life and her son... oh man. WAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

• There's a few different parts of this that get me...

Image hosting by Photobucket

This one gets me like clockwork. Every Christmas I watch it and every year I cry in the same 3 places: when he saves his kid brother from drowning, when the wifey comes running up the stairs and he's got all the kids hanging off of him, and then right at the end when the brother says, "To my big brother George, the richest man in town." It's become like a holiday ritual for me.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    cosign on the end of spikes malcom x "our own shining prince" and all that.

end of saving private ryan when the old guy comes back to present day, asks if hes good, etc.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts

Three words...... My Dog Skip.

I don't care how gangsta you are, if you ever had a dog as a kid, you will cry like a little girl with a skint knee.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Ellen Burstyn's character losing control over her life and her son... oh man. WAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

am I the only one that thinks Aronofsky has gone two for two with terd movies?

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

I haven't been more depressed and simultaneously angry than I was watching this for the first time.

Yeah, this movie ruined my night.

Anyhoo, here are some more flicks that will get you all emotional like a wee, sissy, girl.

DDDDDUUUUUHHHHHHH?

Crouching Dragon Hidden Tiger....

Mother fuckin' over the top action, coupled with some intense ass drama!

This movie did not make me cry, but after seeing this movie and then taking a personal inventory of my own life, I understood
    why this guy goes bannanas just how depressing the movie was.
    Good soundtrack also...(by Jim O'Rourke for all you horn rimmed glasses wearing
    mother fuckers out there)

Generally speaking I can't stand Steven Speilberg, but I will give this guy 110%
    credit for this movie. Granted genocide is no barrel of sunshine but the shit he chose to portray will make anyone reach for a tissue.

ROCKY V
    Not only is Rocko forced back in to poverty, but he gets dissed by his protege!
    WTF?

Happy Now, Rich Dickheads?