Young Jeezy: Thug Motivation 101 = Modern Classic?

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Am I the only one who finds it funny that most dudes extolling the virtues of gangsta shit are upper-middle class with a serious disconnection from the streets?

Just a thought.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    well in my "hood" its more like people are trying to pay bills. and raise kids. I can ask around though to see if these parents hope thier kids grow up to sell coke to other kids though, I'll get back to you with the answer

if they were raising their kids right, they wouldn't have to worry about the negative influence of a rapper.

• Am I the only one who finds it funny that most dudes extolling the virtues of gangsta shit are upper-middle class with a serious disconnection from the streets?

Just a thought.

i was gonna say....maybe this shit works well for those who dont live in the shit these cats rap about.
    for those that live in it....its just another day

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Am I the only one who finds it funny that most dudes extolling the virtues of gangsta shit are upper-middle class with a serious disconnection from the streets?

Just a thought.

Haha, if only that were reflected in sales and the streets themselves.

I think your opinion holds true to this thread though. Not so sure about the "upper-middle class" label though. How about just middle class?

• Am I the only one who finds it funny that most dudes extolling the virtues of gangsta shit are upper-middle class with a serious disconnection from the streets?

Just a thought.

Nobody would like to talk about this.

Anytime you guys want to stop posturing (INCLUDING GUZZO) we could have a nice discussion.

I have a feeling most folks on this site spend too little time in the "hood" to talk authoritatively about it though...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have a feeling most folks on this site spend too little time in the "hood" to talk authoritatively about it though...

Just a thought.

Anytime you guys want to stop posturing (INCLUDING GUZZO) we could have a nice discussion.

word up....time to post pics of your "hood"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    By the way can you clearly define "streets". Dude raps and brags about being a "snowman" does selling drugs in your community mean your doing something good/ admired?

What's it like in your hood? I thought it was all civil and suburban but you schooled me and now I know that there are Neighborhood and Hoover crips and Mexicans. So I'd say you have as good an angle as anyone.

well in my "hood" its more like people are trying to pay bills. and raise kids. I can ask around though to see if these parents hope thier kids grow up to sell coke to other kids though, I'll get back to you with the answer

I'd also like to know if these parents who are trying to pay bills (SHOCK!) and raise kids (SHOCK NUMBER TWO! WHERE IS THIS WACKY PLACE YOU LIVE???) would like their kids to become sidebusting wannabe g's claiming hoods they never set foot in. Can you ask them that too?

no problem. Any other questions. I'd love to ask people in my multi ethnic community more questions form the perspective of a white guy who lives 3000 miles away. Should I start with those that I know are on section 8 or just those that have wannabe g's in them?

all this is beside the point, really though is the image of "the streets"?

No joke it seems like a ghetto hell hole in which people brag about selling life destroying drugs to members of their community and pack guns in order to get respect. Do people that rap about the streets rap about success in any other way?

Jay-Z is now a business man and I don't think he means it the same way Jeezy does.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Just a thought.

Eh? I'm not claiming shit personally, and don't really feel the need to. I was asking a serious question, but you're right, it does seem that

Just a thought.

word up....time to post pics of your "hood"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    BTW why does everyone here think you have to be "hood" in order to say that you think the image of "the streets" you hear about in your favorite rappers classic albums is bullshit?

I think its time we start glorifying rape instead of crack sales

who's with me?

who's with me?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Just a thought.

Nope, you aren't the only one.

And to Mark, that link was really cute. It was even cuter when you went back and edited it. Like you had one of those "ooh- I shoulda said this!" type moments.

You are getting pretty jumpy lately, and while it is pretty funny (and I'm not the only one laughing), if you want to bring it then just bring it.

You wanna talk shit? Then talk shit. You seem to be getting pretty defensive lately. Yeah, after a phone call last night I saw the little temper tantrum that you threw on the stones throw board last night. I had a pretty good laugh about it.

Actually my favorite part was this:

don't get it twisted
    if you think I'm soft in real life then you never met me

I was almost in tears. And I almost replied, but then thought, naw, who cares.

But then here we are again.

So, if you want to "bring it", then I cordially invite you to proceed, but please think long and hard before you do. Because you really don't stand a chance. I think we both know this, and you should probably back down now. Although in the end I'll probably look like the asshole for picking on somebody not equipped for it. I'm a dickhead. I'm not sure I could hold back.

Now I suppose you'll post some lame 1 word response like "RADD" or "WHATEVERS", since I know you have way to much of a hardon for me to actually ignore me, which means you are reading this. Think really really hard before you reply. If phrases such as "girls laugh at you behind your back" kind of burn, then its best that you probably leave this alone.

cool?

Great.

I hope you make the right decision and save us both some emberassment.

• True, its basicly straightforward lyrically, its pretty much all drugs and jewelry, but at the same time its hardly a happy record. Its all about personal drive amidst pure desparation,

so what sets it apart from tons of other records that you can apply this same description to? (seriously, no smart ass question)

Cause its an uncompromising album. The whole thing is songs for the sI treets. And just the way he talks about shit, no slick metaphors or complicated shit, just simple shit delivered in a fresh way.

A couple of my hommies are on this album hard to the point they can't even explain it. Dudes that I usually agree with tastewise. I listened to this album like 5 times trying to get it but it doesnt really do it for me. Keyboard horns and 808's gotta be ASAP quality for me to dig it. Jeezy is entertaining on occasion but I'd rather listen to Freeway yeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!. Jeezy really does have the streets goin nuts. Shit is a phenomenon. Maybe he's the first real drug dealer with some skills. Usually the dudes doin the real dirt can't rap for shit.

• I have a feeling most folks on this site spend too little time in the "hood" to talk authoritatively about it though...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    BTW why does everyone here think you have to be "hood" in order to say that you think the image of "the streets" you hear about in your favorite rappers classic albums is bullshit?

who's with me?

R.appers A.gainst P.hony E.ntertainers!!!
    I'm with you

no, but seriously, if you got real love for the culture, you try to understand every aspect of it and don't limit yourself to one way of style. People who only choose their politically correct jazz rap are mad suspect, same goes for people that have their ears only on the streets. I'D SAY HEART YOUR HOLISTIC HIP HOP APPROACH!!!

Just a thought.

Eh? I'm not claiming shit personally, and don't really feel the need to. I was asking a serious question, but you're right, it does seem that

I wasn't referring to you specifically bro - sorry if it came off that way.

I just think people are a little too caught up in their illusions, self-perceptions, etc to really have an honest discussion about it.

I mean, a lot of cats on this site listen to some fucking thugged out shit- I don't know how much of that really jibes with the personal lifestyle, yao?

You know, I spend a lot - A LOT - of time in real fucked parts of town, and you know the last thing I'd do if I were in East New York or the South Bx is bump Jeezy or some such. You look like a straight mark doing that... dudes will run you...

Conversely, it's really awesome to see hood cats react, when a track comes on, see that raw energy, you don't see that in hipster clubs or downtown parties or whatever, you could even go to Speed Sundays or Tunnel Sundays (RIP) and see that but very very few supposedly hip-hop cats go to those nights. I would imagine it's the same thing out west, the few times I've been to "turfy" clubs in Oakland and the energy is unreal, it's a whole different environment than what you would see in "mixed" clubs in SF, even though most club DJs play hyphy shit.

On the other hand when I see young girls on the bus talking about some bullshit they learned in a song it's total

But then again it's not really my place to criticize.

Maybe he's the first real drug dealer with some skills. Usually the dudes doin the real dirt can't rap for shit.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

who's with me?

R.appers A.gainst P.hony E.ntertainers!!!
    I'm with you

no, but seriously, if you got real love for the culture, you try to understand every aspect of it and don't limit yourself to one way of style. People who only choose their politically correct jazz rap are mad suspect, same goes for people that have their ears only on the streets. I'D SAY HEART YOUR HOLISTIC HIP HOP APPROACH!!!

I'm with that and I listen to all types of rap, I just get salty at those on this board that seem to shit talk the Common's & Mos Def's and only show love for dudes who keep it "street"

to me its remineiscent of times when most people weren't comfortable with black being in the same social situations as whites.

maybe those times never went away?

I'm with that and I listen to all types of rap, I just get salty at those on this board that seem to shit talk the Common's & Mos Def's and only show love for dudes who keep it "street"

to me its remineiscent of times when most people weren't comfortable with black being in the same social situations as whites.

I can see the analogy...however, I think that has changed somehow...but maybe only as long as black people are entertainers or successful in sports...but then again, I'm not qualified enough to talk about these issues, i guess...btw, how can you unignore someone?...I don't hat on the dizzy bull

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I can see the analogy...however, I think that has changed somehow...but maybe only as long as black people are entertainers or successful in sports...but then again, I'm not qualified enough to talk about these issues, i guess...btw, how can you unignore someone?...I don't hat on the dizzy bull

goto dizzy's profile and you'll see an option to "unignore this user" or somethingi like that.

goto dizzy's profile and you'll see an option to "unignore this user" or somethingi like that.

User no longer being ignored
    You are no longer ignoring this user. You will now see their posts again.

THANKS!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I can't keep up w/ all these respecetive beefs anymore....

there should be a sticky w/ an updated weekly beef list so I can check it and avoid such threads.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

there should be a sticky w/ an updated weekly beef list so I can check it and avoid such threads.

Don't be a poosy.

• I can't keep up w/ all these respecetive beefs anymore....

But the Dizzy/Latency beef is like love: exciting and new. And such nice quadrillage!

SoulStrut really is back.

poosy.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

no, no beef just a difference on what messages in music are good and bad.

nothing to see here but angry white people

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dizzy/Latency beef

oh I missed this part. Ok I take all that I said back.

BTW Gary & Mark I think you guys should go to a strip club together and make up

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    quadrillage!

SoulStrut really is back.

hah, I'll never live that one down.

ok you're right day, let's watch them duke it out american gladiators styles w/ those big ass padded q-tip sticks.

• I mean, a lot of cats on this site listen to some fucking thugged out shit- I don't know how much of that really jibes with the personal lifestyle, yao?
    It doesn't jibe at all, but quess what: it doesn't have to. THIS IS ENTERTAINMENT PEOPLE!!! nothing more, nothing less...Like maybe I'm not a cook or chef but I love Food Network...and as for the rest of your post Johnny P, This country is NOT NYC and its NOT Oakland for beter or worse it's everything inbetween...