Young Jeezy: Thug Motivation 101 = Modern Classic?

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
The more I listen to this record the more throwed it gets to me. Who at this point does not know most of the words to the lp by heart? Jeezy makes anthems! Did it not come out in time for grammy consideration or something? If it did, why was jeezy completely snubbed? Truth be told I didnt even like it that much when it came out, but ride around to that shit for a while and it will seriously grow on you. But what does soulstrut think?

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    If not, would a CDR full of jeezy songs from his albums and mixtapes at least be a personal classic?

• it's a total snoozer, seriously it's the most boring rap album I've heard in years. Even more boring than all those 'backpack' lps where all they rap about is how bad everyone else's rapping is.

it's a total snoozer, seriously it's the most boring rap album I've heard in years. Even more boring than all those 'backpack' lps where all they rap about is how bad everyone else's rapping is.

no way! give it a few more listens.

Its young jizzle from the bottom of the map, got a 50 round strap on the bottom of the mac, hey!

• it's a total snoozer, seriously it's the most boring rap album I've heard in years. Even more boring than all those 'backpack' lps where all they rap about is how bad everyone else's rapping is.

no way! give it a few more listens.

Its young jizzle from the bottom of the map, got a 50 round strap on the bottom of the mac, hey!

I listened to it twice in the car and I honestly can't remember one thing/line/beat/hook/whatever from it.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    This album is definitely not a snoozer. I don't know if I would call it a modern classic, but I think it was one of the best albums of last year.

It doesn't really surprise me that it didn't get any grammy nominations though, it isn't really the grammy's style, and that's to its credit.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    heeeeeeeeeeeeeey[/b]
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah[/b]

What the hell did get nominated/win for rap album then?

This was clearly among the biggest sales/hit-wise, as well as being a critic and fans choice... who else needed to be pleased?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    heeeeeeeeeeeeeey[/b]
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah[/b]

This was clearly among the biggest sales/hit-wise, as well as being a critic and fans choice... who else needed to be pleased?

I'm not sure what you're saying here

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Best album of 2005. No contest.

• But like so many other albums of 2005, it can't hold a candle to the mixtape. Jeezy's Gangsta Grillz blew his album out of the water.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Reminds me of this:

Being much better than this:

• Reminds me of this:

Being much better than this:

That schitt wasn't even close. Ric murdered it 9 ways to Sunday on that one.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i don't like his voice

• Havn't heard the album, and won't say that I wouldn't like it, but most of the time

i don't like his voice

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Kanye & 50 both sold more records, no? and i don't think the coke rap fascination of the critical/intellectual community is shared by the old white men on the grammy comittee.

Kanye won again, but does it really matter? it's a fucking joke.

Common got nominated, which to me was almost as hillarious as his hats.

Kanye & 50 both sold more records, no? and i don't think the coke rap fascination of the critical/intellectual community is shared by the old white men on the grammy comittee.

Kanye won again, but does it really matter? it's a fucking joke.

Common got nominated, which to me was almost as hillarious as his hats.

I just think putting common in there was just the real kick in the teeth. I mean what the fuck?

I guess it would have been weird seeing melissa rivers critique jeezy's black T-shirt and jewelry.

Fuck the Grammy's though. Same as it ever was.

Common's album was kinda good though...better than Kanye's album IMO.

And that's coming from someone who hasn't liked a Common album since Resurrection.

• Fuck the Grammy's though. Same as it ever was.

• if you don't like jeezy, you don't like rap

I liked the Boyz N da Hood album.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    if you don't like jeezy, you don't like new rap

truth!

I would say it was a "modern classic" to "new rap" fans. Also I think Jeezy's fanbase runs parallel or directly intersects with The Clipse's fanbase. I would like to see both bring it on their next albums. Beats, production, and lyrically.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    If Jeezy's album is a classic, then the word "classic" is officially devoid of meaning.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Common's album was kinda good though...better than Kanye's album IMO.

And that's coming from someone who hasn't liked a Common album since Resurrection.

i wasn't really commenting on the quality of be (although I found it painfully boring), i just find it odd to see him nominated amongst a bunch of genuine pop stars (eminem, 50, kanye). soccer moms have no idea who common is.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    If Jeezy's album is a classic, then the word "classic" is officially devoid of meaning.
    I think you gotta wait at least 3 years after an album drops to discuss its classic'ness. Will people still be discussing this album in 3 years?

Best album of 2005. No contest.

I think so too. Its even itching past the kanye album for me. I really liked late registration, and it was seriously a step up for hip hop in terms of production values...

but it really cant touch the simple grimeyness of thug motivation. That album is for the struggle man. True, its basicly straightforward lyrically, its pretty much all drugs and jewelry, but at the same time its hardly a happy record. Its all about personal drive amidst pure desparation, and i think alot of people can relate to this feeling. Whether or not they sell drugs. So even if you've already written this record off, id recommend to anyone that they give it at least a second listen.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    what the fuck is new rap?

• Common's album was kinda good though...better than Kanye's album IMO.

i wasn't really commenting on the quality of be (although I found it painfully boring), i just find it odd to see him nominated amongst a bunch of genuine pop stars (eminem, 50, kanye). soccer moms have no idea who common is.

I think "The Light" firmly placed common in the mind of many a young soccer mom. You need to be more connected to the cleats mang.;)

what the fuck is new rap?

exactly

• nessness 249 Posts

YOU DONT LIKE RAP!!!

TRAP OR DIE!!!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I think "The Light" firmly placed common in the mind of many a young soccer mom. You need to be more connected to the cleats mang.;)

come on, no soccer moms even heard that shit. only the headwrap and incense king most set.

this is the cleats. i am the trap.