backpack rap raers

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i love those pretentious album titles. "Hip-Hop Music for the Advanced Listener" lol! frrrruck outta here!

Uh dude, it's called irony.

Not that I'm a big fan of it but they weren't taking themselves that seriously with that title.

• I've made a few thousand off of anticon. i admittedly had a lot of their very first shit (i got a lot of it for free). I sold a lot of living legends shit too. i had an elusive 6 degrees of seperation go for $150. I've had a buck65 single go for 75, anticon singles go for over 50, and a bunch more. shit, i sold some bullshit 30 minute handmade anticon tape for $50, and a couple other handmade anticon tapes for about the same. kids are rediculous out there. i sold the set of clouddead 10 inches for over 150 i think. i think i'm finally tapped out of anticon gold though. oh well, it was good while it lasted!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i think i'm finally tapped out of anticon gold[/b] though. oh well, it was good while it lasted!

New classic?

But was it deadstock?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I have a sealed subverse copy of the doom LP, any takers? It has also been collecting dust.

That siah and yeshua on fondle can reach pretty high prices.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    there is a bootleg of the erule w/ mispellings in the fine print of the label, quite obvious once you read it.

about the sebutones stuff, it's worth a lot of money, especially the tape only stuff. No better person to ask on here than sixtoo himself.

I'm going to AYO myself but I really like those vinyl reanimators white labels. They put out quite a few of them but the pressings were at best 500 each.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Uh dude, it's called irony.

Not that I'm a big fan of it but they weren't taking themselves that seriously with that title.

problem is that most of their fans seem to take this literally.

• Both versions have been OOP and $$$ for years... if you've been passing on em you slept (I don't think Subverse has even been active for a longass time, which isn't a bad thing)

well, that's debateable, because Subverse put out the only legit version of KMD's Black Bastards (with the original artwork that Elektra vetoed). My boy was a partner in that label, and they were down with MF and trying really hard to support his music at the time.

Which makes me wonder - how much would my white label bootleg of Black Bastards get?

• This shit is just stupid. I mean, yeah, buy a rare record, but one that was pressed in the last couple years for stupid sums, when there are copies sitting in bins if you are willing to look? Dummmmb. This is coming from a dood that has put out a lot of said records.

Anna... : You got the link for those crazy kids that jumpoff bidded the Sebutones 12" for upward of 5Gs? That shit was retarded. Very limited, yes, but people are smoking some supercracks. Sebutones 12" and Bucks Wildlife 12" normally go for about a bill. Why? beats the crap outta me. I barely knew how to use a sample back then.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

This shit is just stupid. I mean, yeah, buy a rare record, but one that was pressed in the last couple years for stupid sums, when there are copies sitting in bins if you are willing to look? Dummmmb. This is coming from a dood that has put out a lot of said records.
    I'm guessing a good portion of these people only get their records from eBay so...

• I'm guessing a good portion of these people only get their records from eBay so...
    Point taken, but most of these records had good distrubution in the first place, so its kinda weird that people even shop for this stuff online when they can just get a store to order it in for them. I dunno. It is beyond me, really.

• This is coming from a dood that has put out a lot of said records.
    Speaking of, I was actually surprised this didn't go for that price. I remember this one being hard to get ahold of in a matter of weeks after it came out.

Honestly, I'm not surprised at many of these prices (aside from the later MF Doom issues) for the reasons described above. If anything, I'm a little bit curious what hip-hop vinyl is getting real money right now, as it seems like golden era pic covers and indie backpack type stuff is relatively low right now.

I'm pricing a stack of Rap-a-Lot white labels, UGK 12"s, Too Short 12"s, etc. right now, curious how those are faring.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm pricing a stack of Rap-a-Lot white labels, UGK 12"s, Too Short 12"s, etc. right now, curious how those are faring.
    PM a list of stuff you want to get rid of

• BTW, for all the sebutones obsessed, money spending lurkers, I've got a Buck 65- Centaur 12" at the store right now priced below 20 bucks. Feel free to drive down to San Diego and scoop...

• Anna... : You got the link for those crazy kids that jumpoff bidded the Sebutones 12" for upward of 5Gs? That shit was retarded. Very limited, yes, but people are smoking some supercracks. Sebutones 12" and Bucks Wildlife 12" normally go for about a bill. Why? beats the crap outta me. I barely knew how to use a sample back then.

are you one of those dudes? if so, thanks. i sold the wildlife for over $100 (bought it new in 98 for $5.99 or so) and i sold the sixtoo/moka only split for over $60. you guys helped me make rent a few times, props. keepin' the lights on.

• BTW, for all the sebutones obsessed, money spending lurkers, I've got a Buck 65- Centaur 12" at the store right now priced below 20 bucks. Feel free to drive down to San Diego and scoop...

why not just sell it on eBay for $10,000?

• I'm pricing a stack of Rap-a-Lot white labels, UGK 12"s, Too Short 12"s, etc. right now, curious how those are faring.
    PM a list of stuff you want to get rid of
    haha, well for now I'm trying get stuff on the racks at the store, but I'm happy to get at you if they aren't moving. I scooped these @ Buena Park this weekend:

Rap-a-Lot:
    Seagram- Dark Road promo
    Seagram- Eastside 12"
    2 Low- Hot Club Wax
    2 Low- Funky Lil Brother
    Bushwick Bill- Little Big Man promo
    Odd Squad- Hot Club Wax (chyeah)
    Blac Monks- Secrets of Hidden Temple
    Big Mello- Hot Club Wax
    Geto Boys- Hot Club Wax (from Till Death Do Us)

UGK:
    Ridin Dirty (clean promo)
    Front Back & Side 12" (jive)
    Something Good 12" (jive)
    Dirty Money hot cuts

bunch more stuff from a DJs collection where these kind of records recieved little attention.

• Bushwick Bill- Little Big Man promo

"Four foot eight and straight don't give a fuck"

"Only wear a size 5 but I still kick dents"

Long live Chuck.

• are you one of those dudes? if so, thanks. i sold the wildlife for over $100 (bought it new in 98 for $5.99 or so) and i sold the sixtoo/moka only split for over $60. you guys helped me make rent a few times, props. keepin' the lights on.
    silvertone = sixtoo.
    Glad I can help fowls make rnt.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    UGK:

if you are talkin about the album 'ridin clean version' these dudes absolutley kill this clean version. never had problems playing songs off this.

possible thread jack: what other artists have produced "good" clean versions of records? i ain't talkin bout interesting sounds to go over dirty words, but actual re-written verses that ride just as hard as the dirty.

i always felt raheem's clean single for "5th ward" was done pertty well...

• UGK:

if you are talkin about the album 'ridin clean version' these dudes absolutley kill this clean version. never had problems playing songs off this.

Totally agree, unlike the "Ain't That a Bitch" 12", which only has clean versions (mine at least) is pretty much unplayable.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    possible thread jack: what other artists have produced "good" clean versions of records? i ain't talkin bout interesting sounds to go over dirty words, but actual re-written verses that ride just as hard as the dirty.

i always felt raheem's clean single for "5th ward" was done pertty well...

Mind's Playing Tricks on Me is always the first to spring to mind...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    UGK:

Totally agree, unlike the "Ain't That a Bitch" 12", which only has clean versions (mine at least) is pretty much unplayable.

A lot of Jive singles only have clean versions... THAT's a bitch...

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    Lady Don't Tek No

which i need if anyone is up for selling

• Lady Don't Tek No

which i need if anyone is up for selling

I have a European promo you can have if your interested, pm me if you are...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Dr. Dre's always made great clean versions, at pretty much all points in his career.

so that ridin' dirty is rerecorded clean versions? i've always avoided buying it because i figured it was just dropped out vocals like most clean LPs.

• damn if ya'll want the down south joints cheap, holla, we have bins full of no limit, rap-a-lot, older cash money etc. I am amazed some of these titles are going for that kind of loot... ebay.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

Dr. Dre's always made great clean versions, at pretty much all points in his career.

so that ridin' dirty is rerecorded clean versions? i've always avoided buying it because i figured it was just dropped out vocals like most clean LPs.

yeah, i am pretty certain its listed as "ridin clean" on the album. i know it was sent out primarily to radio stations, cuz i never saw a clean version in stores (not sure on that though) and it is all re-recorded.

and cosiggle on "mind playin tricks" clean. i actually am more likely to scream out "droppin them 5th ward b's on 'em"

• This thread is fascinating to me...I got into hip hop during that mid-late 90s underground/backpack nonsense phase, and bought a lot of what at the time was 'mind blowing,' and a couple year later turned into Crrrrrrrrrrrrrap. I ended up selling a whole ton of those records to a store for virtually nothing when I was moving so I could, 1) afford to move, and 2) not have to schlep those fucking albatrosses.

Turns out, had I held on to some of those Living Legends and Anticon records, I could've bought a new fucking car, let alone gas.

I don't regret it...I think one of the healthiest things I've learned around this board is that we all have made some good moves, and some clunkers- its all part of the game. But, it goes to show the vagaries of any market, like records, corn futures, hogs, stocks, etc. And god, I grew to hate some of those fucking records. Tough lesson to learn that some people are underground for a reason. At the same time, my Fondle 'Em collection isn't going anywhere, so some of it still resonates.

Oh, and "Mind Playin' Tricks on Me," is the best clean version ever. Far superior to the dirty.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    speaking of fondle em. any of you new york guys know how many copies were pressed and distributed, for these joints:
    cenubites (1st press)
    juggaknots
    lord sear

outside of new york a lot of these joints were tough to find even back then. and have always been fetching loot. and deservedly so coz some of that shit was

• Oh, and "Mind Playin' Tricks on Me," is the best clean version ever. Far superior to the dirty.

To me, it's a tie betwixt that and "Dead Homiez."

Herm