backpack rap raers

Comments

• Oh, and "Mind Playin' Tricks on Me," is the best clean version ever. Far superior to the dirty.

To me, it's a tie betwixt that and "Dead Homiez."

Herm

Mmm...good point on the "Dead Homiez." Clean was the first way I heard it back in 7th grade, and I still say some of those lines cleanly. Plus, that song doesn't need a lot of 'fucks' to get its point across.

• Plus, that song doesn't need a lot of 'fucks' to get its point across.

Exactly.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    speaking of fondle em. any of you new york guys know how many copies were pressed and distributed, for these joints:
    cenubites (1st press)
    juggaknots
    lord sear

outside of new york a lot of these joints were tough to find even back then. and have always been fetching loot. and deservedly so coz some of that shit was
    Yeah, I'm also curious as to the press runs for fondle em.

I read somewhere that the siah and yeshua was only 1,000.

I remember seeing the juggaknots and some mf grimm and doom when they came out, and I'm in Alberta, so the juggaknots must have had a larger press run.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the juggaknots got a proper reissue though so the og isnt worth shit anymore

the juggaknots got a proper reissue though so the og isnt worth shit anymore
    Yeah, I remember pre-ordering 6 months in advanced, thinking it would never show up, then finally got it in the mail randomly, beat to shit, but autographed.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    speaking of fondle em. any of you new york guys know how many copies were pressed and distributed, for these joints:
    cenubites (1st press)
    juggaknots
    lord sear

outside of new york a lot of these joints were tough to find even back then. and have always been fetching loot. and deservedly so coz some of that shit was

I know that juggaknots sat in traxx for months. I recall picking it up and listening to it multiple times thinking it should be copped because it's on fondle em. Then putting that shit right back after hearing it reconfirmed its craptitude.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I know that juggaknots sat in traxx for months. I recall picking it up and listening to it multiple times thinking it should be copped because it's on fondle em. Then putting that shit right back after hearing it reconfirmed its craptitude.
    damn, really? juggaknots were the only other thing i liked on fondle em besides mf doom

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i kinda dug that jugganauts too.. but none of this stuff has aged well

i've got a grip of stuff from my old record store promo days .. its seems the time may be right for an unload...

mf doom, jel, meet ebay

• i kinda dug that jugganauts too.. but none of this stuff has aged well

Like I said, that Fondle 'Em stuff still gets me off, so I'll argue that it has aged better than most. You can disagree with that, or replace Fondle 'Em with "Anticon," or "Soulsides," or whatever as aging well. But, I think the question of aging has something to do with the era/place/and style from whence it came. You can point to Fondle 'Em and say, "this is what the NY Underground sounded like in 1995".

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Regarding Aesop:

Keep in mind, the Earthworms EP never had a formal CD pressing. So yeah, there might be some fake ones out there but what are you gonna do?

My thing with the Aesop CD-Rs, though, is that the very idea of owning an "original" vs. a "fake" is so absurdly tenuous. At the same time people were bidding in the hundreds for the OG, dudes were selling "copies" on ebay for half the price (still $$$) that were indistinguishable, because the original product was a copy by nature. The amount of generational loss is like .01 and all of that is in the xeroxing of the already xeroxed "cover". I mean it's all in the game I guess, but it just struck me as a new extreme at the time.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    cenubites (1st press)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Not quite accurate to lump the Juggaknots in with the rest of "that stuff" on Fondle 'Em; whereas most of those artists were deliberately pandering to an earlier aesthetic, my understanding is that the Juggaknots LP actually was recorded several years earlier for a major that then declined to release it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Crazy.. I remember being given a box from a pool and I just game them to somebody. I also remember when a couple of wholesale one stops were almost giving these away after it didn't move. I should have stepped up my CD game back in the day.

• i kinda dug that jugganauts too.. but none of this stuff has aged well

Not quite accurate to lump the Juggaknots in with the rest of "that stuff" on Fondle 'Em; whereas most of those artists were deliberately pandering to an earlier aesthetic, my understanding is that the Juggaknots LP actually was recorded several years earlier for a major that then declined to release it.

The Juggs album has aged quite well IMO, I nabbed the last copy that came in for myself and have been listening to it pretty frequently. A great, great album and one of the standouts from the late90s.

Based on how frequently I see 'em, and I've been through FondleEm backstock, the Juggs either a) was a small press or b) just sold really well, because there are not that many copies floating around. I believe there are still boxes of the Siah & Yeshua out there. The original Cenubites is legitimately rare at this point - smaller press, sold well. copies aren't really around even in the backstock of former FondleEm/Footwork employees. The second press (with the orange sticker) tends to turn up though. But I think that one was a bit earlier, I don't think FondleEm was pressing in the same quantity then.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

The Juggs album has aged quite well IMO, I nabbed the last copy that came in for myself and have been listening to it pretty frequently. A great, great album and one of the standouts from the late90s.

well i'm going by the reissue.. the tracks are all resequenced and there is little to no fllow whatsoever to the running order on the album so maybe that's clouding my judgement.

its also a tad on the depressing side

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

anyone know why??? just crazy ebay-ness or am i missing something special with the cd??? i would sell my vinyl record of this album for 60+

Based on how frequently I see 'em, and I've been through FondleEm backstock, the Juggs either a) was a small press or b) just sold really well, because there are not that many copies floating around. I believe there are still boxes of the Siah & Yeshua out there[/b]. The original Cenubites is legitimately rare at this point - smaller press, sold well. copies aren't really around even in the backstock of former FondleEm/Footwork employees. The second press (with the orange sticker) tends to turn up though. But I think that one was a bit earlier, I don't think FondleEm was pressing in the same quantity then.
    Why the high prices then? I think this one sells the highest out of all the releases, no?

• Based on how frequently I see 'em, and I've been through FondleEm backstock, the Juggs either a) was a small press or b) just sold really well, because there are not that many copies floating around. I believe there are still boxes of the Siah & Yeshua out there[/b]. The original Cenubites is legitimately rare at this point - smaller press, sold well. copies aren't really around even in the backstock of former FondleEm/Footwork employees. The second press (with the orange sticker) tends to turn up though. But I think that one was a bit earlier, I don't think FondleEm was pressing in the same quantity then.
    Why the high prices then? I think this one sells the highest out of all the releases, no?

Maybe I shouldn't have said that... heh heh

I didn't mean that there is quantity floating around, I mean that some might be found at some point.

• In general, I don't get how Amoeba determines their pricing for wall items. Almost everything there is way over what the market probably would settle on yet, on rare occassions, they'll under-price,

I love it when Amoeba does this. Happened to me a few times because I got lucky and they let me put 2 of the wall pieces on hold. Came back the next day and swooped em up.

Also I don't get why people are after that MF Doom album. It is still pretty common on vinyl. I sold about 5-6 copies within the year but I sold them at 30-36 the most. I had a buy it now for 30 for a few days before someone bought it. This shit goes back and forth all the time. Some guy was selling in his store for 12.99 for a long ass time. Also it kinda sucks in my opinion, his rhyming sucks and his beats get old quick except for a few dope ones on there.

Definately not worth 20+ IMO.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Based on how frequently I see 'em, and I've been through FondleEm backstock, the Juggs either a) was a small press or b) just sold really well, because there are not that many copies floating around.

...or c) unlike most Fondle 'Em releases, people that bought it tend to keep it.

• I'm pricing a stack of Rap-a-Lot white labels, UGK 12"s, Too Short 12"s, etc. right now, curious how those are faring.
    PM a list of stuff you want to get rid of

got a couple older ones on my site cheap.

• The Juggs album has aged quite well IMO, I nabbed the last copy that came in for myself and have been listening to it pretty frequently. A great, great album and one of the standouts from the late90s.

well i'm going by the reissue.. the tracks are all resequenced and there is little to no fllow whatsoever to the running order on the album so maybe that's clouding my judgement.

I agree that the re:issue is a poor judge of the original LP. Definitely a case of less is more...the freestyle interludes really hurt the flow, it is too long, and like you said, the original sequence is lost. I have the original, and when the re:issue came out, I bought it, downloaded it, and immediately resequenced it to match the original. "Sex Type THing," is the only thing worth adding, IMO.

Either version though, is depressing-no doubt; "Loosifa," while great, is one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard, and "Clear Blue Skies," is no slouch.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Did DMG - Rigarmortiz ever come out on wax? Rap a Lot.

• Also it kinda sucks in my opinion, his rhyming sucks and his beats get old quick except for a few dope ones on there.

throw this man into the dungeon

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Did DMG - Rigarmortiz ever come out on wax? Rap a Lot.

6 track Hot Club Wax only, afaik.

• Also it kinda sucks in my opinion, his rhyming sucks and his beats get old quick except for a few dope ones on there.

You liked it? I used to like it like a year or two ago then he started releasing way too much trash and I felt like he was completely wack.

• The Juggs album has aged quite well IMO, I nabbed the last copy that came in for myself and have been listening to it pretty frequently. A great, great album and one of the standouts from the late90s.

I agree that the re:issue is a poor judge of the original LP. Definitely a case of less is more...the freestyle interludes really hurt the flow, it is too long, and like you said, the original sequence is lost. I have the original, and when the re:issue came out, I bought it, downloaded it, and immediately resequenced it to match the original. "Sex Type THing," is the only thing worth adding, IMO.

Either version though, is depressing-no doubt; "Loosifa," while great, is one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard, and "Clear Blue Skies," is no slouch.

Loosifa is super depressing! absolutely incredible lyricism and flow though. Really top notch.

I don't think good hip-hop has to be happy-go-lucky... it just has to....

Wait for it....

It's a flashback...

make you feel shit.

You liked it? I used to like it like a year or two ago then he started releasing way too much trash and I felt like he was completely wack.

rhymes like dimes is always rattling around the back of my head.
    i love doomsday LP. haent kept up religiously with everything he's done...but most of what ive heard is dope. good voice, decent flow, great tracks (for the most part), and he continually writes funny ass lyrics. the man's longevity is apparent and i hope dangerdoom blows his carrer up a little.

not that album sales = good music, but doom/zevluvx has been selling quality joints for over 15 years. thats a lhell of a lot in the rap game. hall of fame material

rhymes like dimes is always rattling around the back of my head.
    i love doomsday LP. haent kept up religiously with everything he's done...but most of what ive heard is dope. good voice, decent flow, great tracks (for the most part), and he continually writes funny ass lyrics. the man's longevity is apparent and i hope dangerdoom blows his carrer up a little.

not that album sales = good music, but doom/zevluvx has been selling quality joints for over 15 years. thats a lhell of a lot in the rap game. hall of fame material

I heard some of the tracks off Danger Doom and thought it was dope. I wasn't feelin his other albums like the Viktor Vaughn was ehh. Operation Doomsday is probably his best and like I said it has a lot of nice tracks just got off his music.