Cam Vs Jay (mp3)

Comments

• hilarious.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Oliver, the general consensus is that this is a bad look for Cam. I mean, soulstrut cogniscenti be damned, the dude made a terrible terd of a diss record and now he has to live with it. The purple army of dipset supporters or whatever was said earlier in the thread will move on to the next fad when Jay takes dude apart. It's a shame because I really like Cam and thought he had a lot of potential but he could be taken back to a basic mixtape dude in a second. [/b]

how you figure that?

• Despite having all this online hype/critical darling BS swirling around, Cam's really just getting to a level where people know his name and check for him nationally. If Jay really goes hard with a humiliating track a la "Takeover", dude could be really damaged (professionally). The industry is so touchy and political these days. I could see people not wanting to piss on Cam if he was on fire if Jay really gets ugly with it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    is cam on asylum or warner brothers now?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    All you folls on the internet really have got it wrong, Jay Z is a fucking entity and Cam'Ron is just another rapperdude.

Co-sign like a motherfucker.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Despite having all this online hype/critical darling BS swirling around, Cam's really just getting to a level where people know his name and check for him nationally. If Jay really goes hard with a humiliating track a la "Takeover", dude could be really damaged (professionally). The industry is so touchy and political these days. I could see people not wanting to piss on Cam if he was on fire if Jay really gets ugly with it.

but cam's official albums don't sell. he's not much of a pop star, and that's the only place jay's industry connections can really do damage. you really think harlem's gonna stop buying dipset mixtapes cuz of this?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Despite having all this online hype/critical darling BS swirling around, Cam's really just getting to a level where people know his name and check for him nationally. If Jay really goes hard with a humiliating track a la "Takeover", dude could be really damaged (professionally). The industry is so touchy and political these days. I could see people not wanting to piss on Cam if he was on fire if Jay really gets ugly with it.

but cam's official albums don't sell. he's not much of a pop star, and that's the only place jay's industry connections can really do damage. you really think harlem's gonna stop buying dipset mixtapes cuz of this?

The thing is though: Cam's not doing this to lock down Uptown, he's already got that. This is some straight power jack to be King of New York.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Jay-Z will probably win if Nas ghost writes his rhymes for him.

Uh no.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

but cam's official albums don't sell. he's not much of a pop star, and that's the only place jay's industry connections can really do damage.

The only Cam album that didn't at least go gold was SDE, and Come Home With Me went platinum.

He's not a pop star, but he's had significant sales in the past and has the potential for a lot more in the future.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Sidebar to NYC heads: Dipset isn't really doin' it on the West Coast like that. Not sure why, but they just aren't (at least not in the Bay).

This is not a judgement, btw. Just an observation.

trust me, they arent down here either. I dig the dudes..they are funny as hell, but nobody down here fucks with them..half of the people probably couldnt even tell you who "Dipset" is.

SC can't be that different from NC... and most young dudes who are obsessed with rap round here are either all about Dipset or don't like them due to their subject matter... most of the recent singles that weren't pop hits did get mixshow/club play... I'm definitely getting the impression that Cali either doesn't know or doesn't care about the Dips but the east coast is definitely aware... and even appreciative...

That doesn't mean they've got anything on Jay of course...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    If Jay really goes hard with a humiliating track a la "Takeover", dude could be really damaged (professionally). The industry is so touchy and political these days. I could see people not wanting to piss on Cam if he was on fire if Jay really gets ugly with it.

And anyone that thinks it can't happen need only look at Li'l Flip.

I don't think a dis record alone can dead anybody's career. It usually needs to coincide with some other event--like Flip's terd of an album and his "Sunshine" single--that will have people reevaluating the artist like "Damn, maybe dude that dissed him was right". But Cam needs to be very careful and putting out sub-par music is really not the move right now.

The only Cam album that didn't at least go gold was SDE, and Come Home With Me went platinum.

He's not a pop star, but he's had significant sales in the past and has the potential for a lot more in the future.

'Oh Boy' (yes) and 'Hey Ma' (ugh) were HUGE... if he'd been able to follow that up with a couple more singles on that level he'd be a pop star... 'Girls' was a very poor attempt at regaining that success though...

If Jay really goes hard with a humiliating track a la "Takeover", dude could be really damaged (professionally). The industry is so touchy and political these days. I could see people not wanting to piss on Cam if he was on fire if Jay really gets ugly with it.

And anyone that thinks it can't happen need only look at Li'l Flip.

I don't think a dis record alone can dead anybody's career. It usually needs to coincide with some other event--like Flip's terd of an album and his "Sunshine" single--that will have people reevaluating the artist like "Damn, maybe dude that dissed him was right". But Cam needs to be very careful and putting out sub-par music is really not the move right now.

The same could be said for Ja Rule, but he was pretty vulnerable already...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The thing is though: Cam's not doing this to lock down Uptown, he's already got that. This is some straight power jack to be King of New York.

This shit has been bubblin' for a minute. There been a quiet beef behind closed doors since Cam once held a "president" position at Rockafella for a quick minute.

The King Of New York title has been vacant since Jay-Z retired.

I mean, soulstrut cogniscenti be damned, the dude made a terrible terd of a diss record and now he has to live with it.

That seems to be the unanimous opinion here.....

• SC can't be that different from NC... and most young dudes who are obsessed with rap round here are either all about Dipset or don't like them due to their subject matter... most of the recent singles that weren't pop hits did get mixshow/club play... I'm definitely getting the impression that Cali either doesn't know or doesn't care about the Dips but the east coast is definitely aware... and even appreciative...

yeah, most everybody i know in NC either loves dipset or hates them and is all about justus league/little brother

digdug - do we know each other in the real world?

• Sidebar to NYC heads: Dipset isn't really doin' it on the West Coast like that. Not sure why, but they just aren't (at least not in the Bay).

trust me, they arent down here either. I dig the dudes..they are funny as hell, but nobody down here fucks with them..half of the people probably couldnt even tell you who "Dipset" is.

SC can't be that different from NC... and most young dudes who are obsessed with rap round here are either all about Dipset or don't like them due to their subject matter... most of the recent singles that weren't pop hits did get mixshow/club play... I'm definitely getting the impression that Cali either doesn't know or doesn't care about the Dips but the east coast is definitely aware... and even appreciative...

maybe I am just not around young enough dudes, because I honestly don't know one person who really fucks with them. I am not trying to say I dont like the guys, I dig it. But, I am not just talking about suburbanites either, I just don't hear about them at all.
    Juelz was here a couple of months ago(on Thanksgiving I think) or so ago for a show and the only reason I know about it, is because the dude that brought him here gave me a flyer. Other than that, I would have never known. No advertising(which is promoters fault), but NO ONE was talking about it. I never heard it brought up not one time. Trust me, when Jeezy comes to town, you hear about it. I just don't think people are really checking for dudes like that...maybe a little more now since Juelz has had some radio play for the Whistle shit.

• yeah, most everybody i know in NC either loves dipset or hates them and is all about justus league/little brother

You know, we might be talking about two different groups of people. I know the Justus League/Little Bro thing might be kinda popular w/ college hip hop dudes or something, but nobody knows who they are here, either. Sure you have a small group of backpacker types that probably worship the shit, but your average rap fan here has NEVER heard of them, except for possibly seeing an ad in a rap mag.

Again, maybe it is different w/ younger dudes or something..I really don't know.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Sidebar to NYC heads: Dipset isn't really doin' it on the West Coast like that. Not sure why, but they just aren't (at least not in the Bay).

maybe I am just not around young enough dudes, because I honestly don't know one person who really fucks with them. I am not trying to say I dont like the guys, I dig it. But, I am not just talking about suburbanites either, I just don't hear about them at all.
    Juelz was here a couple of months ago(on Thanksgiving I think) or so ago for a show and the only reason I know about it, is because the dude that brought him here gave me a flyer. Other than that, I would have never known. No advertising(which is promoters fault), but NO ONE was talking about it. I never heard it brought up not one time. Trust me, when Jeezy comes to town, you hear about it. I just don't think people are really checking for dudes like that...maybe a little more now since Juelz has had some radio play for the Whistle shit.

Down here (SoCal) - I don't know many fucking with Dipset. I remember Hey Ma & Oh Boy getting hella play and now the couple jointz with Juelz (Whistle & that shit with that Chris Brown kid) but beyond that there's nothing being talked about when it comes to these kats - and what for...

We have The Game!

Juelz was here a couple of months ago(on Thanksgiving I think) or so ago for a show and the only reason I know about it, is because the dude that brought him here gave me a flyer. Other than that, I would have never known. No advertising(which is promoters fault), but NO ONE was talking about it. I never heard it brought up not one time.

Whats funny is dude appeared at a record store a mile or two from my house around the same time... but I didn't even hear about til LONG after it happened...

I don't really have anything to say to him or anything...

check PMs

Regardless of whether kids in [name your spot] are feeling Dipset or not what I want to know is this:

What does Cam'ron REALISTICALLY stand to win or lose through his decision to go after Jay?

Likewise, what does Jay stand to win or lose in this engagement?

Give me some analysis, clowns batches!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Uh no.

Then it's gonna be OVA FOR HOVA THEN!

Uh no.

Then it's gonna be OVA FOR HOVA THEN!

Ha.

Seriously though, go listen to "Don't Body Ya'self." That's not a great diss record; Nas tends to be a little too complex to cut a truly great, to the face, diss song. Clearly, I never thought "Ether" was as good as "Takeover."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Regardless of whether kids in [name your spot] are feeling Dipset or not what I want to know is this:

What does Cam'ron REALISTICALLY stand to win or lose through his decision to go after Jay?

I think Cam does have a chance. The streets perception will definitely weigh in. Cam is trying to go next level w/ his career. But going at J is almost like Wade yappin' about a "retired" Jordan.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    all this speculation and commentary is starting to get stale. really though, 5 pages commenting on one song and the potential future songs?

Didn't someone say Cam was supposed to release another track on the Kay Slay show?

wheres that at?

I think Cam does have a chance. The streets perception will definitely weigh in. Cam is trying to go next level w/ his career. But going at J is almost like Wade yappin' about a "retired" Jordan.

*whistle* Yellow flag on hip-hop/basketball analogies.

Hip-hop has yet to create anyone remotely comparable to Jordan's place within basketball.

all this speculation and commentary is starting to get stale. really though, 5 pages commenting on one song and the potential future songs?

Didn't someone say Cam was supposed to release another track on the Kay Slay show?

wheres that at?

Guzzy: look up "Swagger Jacker." That's the second joint. hiphopgame.com has it.

• all this speculation and commentary is starting to get stale. really though, 5 pages commenting on one song and the potential future songs?

aww cmon man..let us have some fun! Its rap beef between two heavyweights!