New Music / Release Thread

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    If any of you feel up to setting aside whatever prejudices you have concerning "jazz-rap", that Robert Glasper Experiment album is definitely worth investigating. In fact, the emceeing (of which there isn't much) is the least impressive aspect of it, and really shouldn't be taken as a measure of the album as a whole.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Mmm, Jazz-rap. Paging Jimster.
    I think I've just lost interest in rap to the extent that it would probably put me off the music.

Just had a listen to some clips, and while it's alright, the version of Cherish The Day the Pal Joey remix of Sade.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Junior said:

Really need to pick up some new electronic releases.

There's some cracking represses of early (and v rare) Various Production stuff in at Boomkat. Worth a gander.

Cheers Duder, been really lazy at looking at the releases on boomkat so will check it out. Any particular recommendations appreciated.

Sadly , despite my best efforts, I don't think I would be able to listen without prejudice to Jazz-Rap, the wounds inflicted during the nineties have been very slow to heal.

I think the Actress remix of Lost appeared on the Theo Parrish mix For Suggested Use pt 2; it's a weird, late-night dubby Techno sort of thing. I'd like to hear a competent scratch DJ over the beat to Chief, and the Trycycle EP is pretty good if you can ignore the last vocal cut.

Duderonomy said:
    Junior said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Junior said:

There's some cracking represses of early (and v rare) Various Production stuff in at Boomkat. Worth a gander.

Cheers Duder, been really lazy at looking at the releases on boomkat so will check it out. Any particular recommendations appreciated.

I think the Actress remix of Lost appeared on the Theo Parrish mix For Suggested Use pt 2; it's a weird, late-night dubby Techno sort of thing. I'd like to hear a competent scratch DJ over the beat to Chief, and the Trycycle EP is pretty good if you can ignore the last vocal cut.

Excellent, checking them out now. Also see they've released the Legowelt album on vinyl. Really enjoyed that last year but don't know if it was 36 quid's worth of enjoyment.

That was the one released for free @ 320?
    It was ok, hope that his generous promotional stunt doesn't blow up in his face. ??40 with p+p? Sorry bub.

Junior said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Junior said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Junior said:

Excellent, checking them out now. Also see they've released the Legowelt album on vinyl. Really enjoyed that last year but don't know if it was 36 quid's worth of enjoyment.

It was ok, hope that his generous promotional stunt doesn't blow up in his face. ??40 with p+p? Sorry bub.

Yep, one and the same. I think the release free digital/charge for vinyl model can work but six months later and at 40 quid I'm afraid I won't be biting even if it was on the heaviest vinyl known to man.

When did yootoob change it's upload limit to an hour or so?

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts

kind of liked this one, but then that one track??s not enough for me to cop that 12"

Duderonomy said:
    When did yootoob change it's upload limit to an hour or so?

Dude put up a 320 for DL of this mix here: http://soundcloud.com/solitude/solitude-synkro-mix-320kbps/s-9lT7l

On that Burial/nightbus music vibe.

LTD Moodymann 12". http://www.fatcity.co.uk/Sales/pages/Kenny-Dixon-Jr-Jan-Edits--Remixes.aspx

I have to say I don't hear anything similar to JAN in any of the tracks.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    LTD Moodymann 12". http://www.fatcity.co.uk/Sales/pages/Kenny-Dixon-Jr-Jan-Edits--Remixes.aspx

I think Kenny is 'J.A.N.'
    Sounds like this is a collection of Norma Jean Bell mixes possibly already released on Pandamonium PR03 & PR04

granjero said:
    Duderonomy said:

Sounds like this is a collection of Norma Jean Bell mixes possibly already released on Pandamonium PR03 & PR04

Ahh, I was confusing this with the single called JAN. 3rd & 4th tracks are nice.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    granjero said:
    Duderonomy said:

Ahh, I was confusing this with the single called JAN. 3rd & 4th tracks are nice.

Ha! The title's probably deliberately ambiguous (& poss a boot)..

Track 3 is either this track, or a dub of this track:
    (from 1996... eugh. 16 years ago..I'm old.)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Junior said:

Andy Stott's 'Passed Me By' & 'We Stay Together' from last year are well worth a listen if you haven't heard them yet. (techno but of the bangin' variety)

• Duderonomy said:

it is a 4xLP though, and you can get it for about ??34 at some places, so not entirely unreasonable...

personally, it was one of my favourite albums of 2011 so will likely be picking up a copy shortly (i need a copy of "metro airport" on vinyl at the very least - i love that tune).

On repeat right now.

There's so much I love about this; the way the bum notes haven't been autotuned out of the lead vocal and it actually sounds like a human being singing, the way the choral back-up vocals drive the song, the groove (particularly the bass player, who kills it), the kind of gnomic lyric that Chris Martin could never come up with as long as he had a hole in his arse, the fact that there isn't a chorus, the fact that right now Solange Knowles is probably thinking about doing a killer cover of it that will melt my face clean off...the real problem with Brooklyn hipster indie rock is that so little of it is this good.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Love the Wooden Ships and B-Ju tracks. I'm really loving this new Jai Paul track

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    What is the story with Jai Paul? Does he have an ep or full release out there? BTSTU was amazing, and this new track is so good, too! Or is he a Soundcloud artist only?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    bassie said:
    What is the story with Jai Paul? Does he have an ep or full release out there? BTSTU was amazing, and this new track is so good, too! Or is he a Soundcloud artist only?

he is going to put out music on XL Records. not sure if its just a single or an album but so far he has one song released in 2010 (btstu) and now this song. Two really great songs.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    Two really great songs.

Yes. So warm and chewy and sexy and slinky.

Cool, thanks! - will keep alert for the release.

• really like the jai paul stuff i've heard so far, but he does seem to be taking a long time to put something out...

on more of a house tip, i can't get enough of this from hunee at the moment:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    http://www.imposemagazine.com/bytes/the-best-music-of-march-2012

Any comments on these? Not heard any of it. Hoxton hype machines in full effect or valid choices?

J i m s t e r said:

Any comments on these? Not heard any of it. Hoxton hype machines in full effect or valid choices?

I know Nite Jewel and Georgia Anne Muldrow, and they're both OK. I don't know much about all that other stuff. I'm glad that there's people for whom the mere idea of Sufjan Stevens doing a T-Pain impression is enough to fill their heart with joy, but that is something I most assuredly do not need in my life.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    granjero said:

Yeah, J.A.N. = Just Another N*gga.

I'm really digging this new 10" EP by Klaus Johann Grobe right now:

http://klausjohanngrobe.ch/musik/

There's free .wavs on Soundcloud too:

http://soundcloud.com/klaus-johann-grobe/sets

Sounds like some mid-to-late-seventies krautrock business. Solid release.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    J i m s t e r said:

I know Nite Jewel and Georgia Anne Muldrow, and they're both OK. I don't know much about all that other stuff. I'm glad that there's people for whom the mere idea of Sufjan Stevens doing a T-Pain impression is enough to fill their heart with joy, but that is something I most assuredly do not need in my life.

This is their best of 2011: http://www.imposemagazine.com/bytes/best-new-music-of-2011

I am oh for 50 on this list too. So old, so white, so disconnected, yet with more unlistened to music available to me than at any point in my life. I suspect the last one goes for everyone.

Yet, as I read the blurbs, I am reminded of the days of The Bluebells (they were on postcard, up in Scotland.. "Young At Heart" IIRC). Some of their number made a living by doing write-ups of non-existent gigs by non-existent bands. Surely some of these works exists only in the minds of Facebook cadres.

Heady vision-quest music that likes its sounds twisted like knots of fiber stretched into tapestries of aural color. Night Gallery was recorded during SXSW 2010 at a live broadcast in-studio session on KVRX student radio. It was improvised in its entirety "after a brief discussion of mood" and will be released as it was played, with no overdubs. The title of the release is a homage to a surrealistic early 70's TV show produced by Rod Serling that the musicians listened to as they fell asleep in Texas, and as we hoped, the release is darkly oneiric and otherworldly.

What we've got here is (surprisingly) refreshing- a John Cale experimental Velvet Underground reminiscent set of songs that do a pretty damn decent job of containing the band's live energy on record. If this album had been made in 1985, it might have been eye-rollingly derivative, but in today's current landscape, it sounds pretty new and exciting. How many bands did you see at SXSW that utilized free jazz style saxophone?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    bassie said:

he is going to put out music on XL Records. not sure if its just a single or an album but so far he has one song released in 2010 (btstu) and now this song. Two really great songs.

Damn... I'd never head of this dude and these two songs are both amazing!

THANKS SOUL STRUT!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

And here's my little contribution to the new music thread. This song is amazing to my ears. It's a limited 45 that seems to be getting a little pricey.

J i m s t e r said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    J i m s t e r said:

This is their best of 2011: http://www.imposemagazine.com/bytes/best-new-music-of-2011

I am oh for 50 on this list too. So old, so white, so disconnected, yet with more unlistened to music available to me than at any point in my life. I suspect the last one goes for everyone.

Yet, as I read the blurbs, I am reminded of the days of The Bluebells (they were on postcard, up in Scotland.. "Young At Heart" IIRC). Some of their number made a living by doing write-ups of non-existent gigs by non-existent bands. Surely some of these works exists only in the minds of Facebook cadres.

Heady vision-quest music that likes its sounds twisted like knots of fiber stretched into tapestries of aural color. Night Gallery was recorded during SXSW 2010 at a live broadcast in-studio session on KVRX student radio. It was improvised in its entirety "after a brief discussion of mood" and will be released as it was played, with no overdubs. The title of the release is a homage to a surrealistic early 70's TV show produced by Rod Serling that the musicians listened to as they fell asleep in Texas, and as we hoped, the release is darkly oneiric and otherworldly.

What we've got here is (surprisingly) refreshing- a John Cale experimental Velvet Underground reminiscent set of songs that do a pretty damn decent job of containing the band's live energy on record. If this album had been made in 1985, it might have been eye-rollingly derivative, but in today's current landscape, it sounds pretty new and exciting. How many bands did you see at SXSW that utilized free jazz style saxophone?

Heh, free jazz automatically becomes "new" when you do it at SXSW, then?

I got thirteen. I know all the rappers on that list, most of whom are really good and (I think) all of whom are featured in the "Rap You're Liking" thread at some point. I'm familiar with a few of the others too. Much as I like to hear good new music, it has to be good first - this pursuit of the new as an end in itself can get a bit tiresome, as well as being unfair to the artist. What happens when you cease to be new? Is it on to the next one without a thought as to whether or not this next thing you've decided to talk up is actually worth the effort?