New Music / Release Thread

145791029

  Comments


  • minimini 857 Posts

  • phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts









  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,366 Posts

  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,366 Posts
    Paging Junior...

    AA1 - Too Polite by Throwing Snow

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,554 Posts
    new plug album has some great stuff on it



    hometown heros



    anyone else get the tomboy boxset? the singles version is amazing

    also, this was great last year


  • JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Paging Junior...

    AA1 - Too Polite by Throwing Snow

    Ha ha! You know me too well, this is fucking great. Love this - sounds kind of like something I would have caught on late night Kiss back in the days of the two Colins. Checked out the rest of that release and not really feeling the other tarcks as much though do like the earlier two track release on the page. Epic bass music.

  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,366 Posts
    Junior said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Paging Junior...

    AA1 - Too Polite by Throwing Snow

    Ha ha! You know me too well, this is fucking great. Love this - sounds kind of like something I would have caught on late night Kiss back in the days of the two Colins. Checked out the rest of that release and not really feeling the other tarcks as much though do like the earlier two track release on the page. Epic bass music.

    The reese on it is bigger than King Kong's dong. Some of the pitch-shifting on the percussion sounds a little odd to my ears though; not sure that it's as bad as auto-tune, but my first reaction is similar in that it sounds a bit 'fake' or 'wrong' some how, but I guess it could just be unfamiliarity with this effect being used so brazenly.
    Aside from that, and the slightly dodgy artist name, I like it a lot! Jungle resurgence in effect.

  • OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Junior said:
    ..sounds kind of like something I would have caught on late night Kiss back in the days of the two Colins.
    fuck. I was just thinking this only yesterday (I presume we're talking Faver & Dale?) I think it was due to listening to Actress track or something. crazy

    Just hearing that Colin Favor intro music whathaveyou brings back mad flashbacks.

  • JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Okem said:
    Junior said:
    ..sounds kind of like something I would have caught on late night Kiss back in the days of the two Colins.
    fuck. I was just thinking this only yesterday (I presume we're talking Faver & Dale?) I think it was due to listening to Actress track or something. crazy

    Just hearing that Colin Favor intro music whathaveyou brings back mad flashbacks.

    Ha! Yep that's exactly who sprang to mind. Perhaps it's in part due to the actual mixing issue that Duder mentions clicking a switch in my brain to electronic tracks recorded through the fuzz of a station only occasionally picked up in stereo as there does seem to be a hollow synth feel to some of the newer stuff. All I do know is that a couple of times recently I've been playing new bass/dubstep/whatever releases and getting the feeling of the slower stuff they used to play on the shows around 91 (apologies to the Colins that I can never remember which one was on a more downtempo trip).

    That Colin Faver intro is flicking switches in my brain. So regret chucking all those old tapes out.

  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,366 Posts
    Junior said:

    So regret chucking all those old tapes out.

    ???

    http://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/releases/?id=24831

    Rollo Jackson presents a documentary DVD entitled Tape Crackers, an oral history of Jungle music and an affectionate, touching, and, at times, incredibly funny, tale of bedroom obsessiveness. Told through Michael Finch???s tape collection which he recorded while growing up in Islington, North London, it???s also an untold (or more accurately unheard) history of UK underground music of the last 10 years ??? Jungle, Garage and Grime are all knitted into the story through the MCs and DJs who manned the decks and mics. Movers of the underground today such as Riko Dan and B Live are on some of the tapes played in the film. The D90s might be dusty but this music still sounds ultra-crisp.



    Warning, may contain: late days of Dream FM, middle days of Kool FM/MC Ruff and DJ Uproar on Dream FM/MC Fize and DJ Swiftly/Riko Dan on Pressure FM/Evil B on Rude FM/DJ Target and Maxwell D on Rinse FM/DJ Brockie, MC Five-O and MC Moose on Kool FM in 1993/DJ SL with Strings, Koji and Flinty Badman (Ragga Twins) + Demon Rockers.

  • JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Junior said:

    So regret chucking all those old tapes out.

    ???

    http://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/releases/?id=24831

    Rollo Jackson presents a documentary DVD entitled Tape Crackers, an oral history of Jungle music and an affectionate, touching, and, at times, incredibly funny, tale of bedroom obsessiveness. Told through Michael Finch???s tape collection which he recorded while growing up in Islington, North London, it???s also an untold (or more accurately unheard) history of UK underground music of the last 10 years ??? Jungle, Garage and Grime are all knitted into the story through the MCs and DJs who manned the decks and mics. Movers of the underground today such as Riko Dan and B Live are on some of the tapes played in the film. The D90s might be dusty but this music still sounds ultra-crisp.



    Warning, may contain: late days of Dream FM, middle days of Kool FM/MC Ruff and DJ Uproar on Dream FM/MC Fize and DJ Swiftly/Riko Dan on Pressure FM/Evil B on Rude FM/DJ Target and Maxwell D on Rinse FM/DJ Brockie, MC Five-O and MC Moose on Kool FM in 1993/DJ SL with Strings, Koji and Flinty Badman (Ragga Twins) + Demon Rockers.

    I think I need to see that though wish it went back a bit further.

    I suspect only a few of the tapes I hoarded for years would still have been playable due to all the rerecording week in week out but I still have a slight regret that in this day and age of internet magic it may have been possible to ID and track down all those tracks that blew my mind back then.

    If there was still anywhere to upload them to in the first place.

  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,366 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    all of that arsehole behaviour, which is totally well documented - in case you didn't know, ripping kids off by telling them to send him cash and he'd send them wavs (lol) that he never delivered, never turning up to shows, turning up to shows then getting drunk taking the money and then running off into the sunset, leaving a trail of pissed off promoters in his wake, sending death threats to labels he's worked for, journalists that have written for him..

    This is the original loop, solely written entirely by myself back in October 2007.
    http://soundcloud.com/reark/natalia-original

    Sequence of events:

    1. I wrote this loop back in October 2007, entirely by myself, posting it on myspace.
    2. Zomby, with whom I was communicating, hears the loop and offers to collaborate to finish it. I agree and send him the original Reason song file + Rex file of the vocals.
    3. Zomby posts the loop on his myspace without crediting me, I complain, he takes it down.
    4. In the next months Zomby suggests where the track might get released. I continue to remind him that it's a collaboration.
    5. Without my knowledge, a slightly revised version is aired by Mary Anne Hobbs on Radio 1, you can hear Zomby's revised drum variation from 1:06 -- 1:36. This is the only significant change he's made to the track. The rest is looping, and some slight editing of the vocal cuts.
    6. The track gets released on 4AD in May 2011, I notice in August 2011. I complain first to Zomby with no effect, then to 4AD, to whom I send this loop plus an e-mail sent from me to Zomby with the original Reason song file from October 2007. 4AD accept my evidence and change credits to include my name.

    Zomby has been vague in interviews when asked about the vocal sample. The singer is Natalia Ladygina (hence the name of the track), a Russian friend of mine. She is singing a cover of Irina Dubcova's song 'O nem'. I have other samples of her, so you can expect to hear more of her in the future.

    Thanks to all those who have supported me in this dispute, and all those who were just curious and asked.

  • JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    all of that arsehole behaviour, which is totally well documented - in case you didn't know, ripping kids off by telling them to send him cash and he'd send them wavs (lol) that he never delivered, never turning up to shows, turning up to shows then getting drunk taking the money and then running off into the sunset, leaving a trail of pissed off promoters in his wake, sending death threats to labels he's worked for, journalists that have written for him..

    This is the original loop, solely written entirely by myself back in October 2007.
    http://soundcloud.com/reark/natalia-original

    Sequence of events:

    1. I wrote this loop back in October 2007, entirely by myself, posting it on myspace.
    2. Zomby, with whom I was communicating, hears the loop and offers to collaborate to finish it. I agree and send him the original Reason song file + Rex file of the vocals.
    3. Zomby posts the loop on his myspace without crediting me, I complain, he takes it down.
    4. In the next months Zomby suggests where the track might get released. I continue to remind him that it's a collaboration.
    5. Without my knowledge, a slightly revised version is aired by Mary Anne Hobbs on Radio 1, you can hear Zomby's revised drum variation from 1:06 -- 1:36. This is the only significant change he's made to the track. The rest is looping, and some slight editing of the vocal cuts.
    6. The track gets released on 4AD in May 2011, I notice in August 2011. I complain first to Zomby with no effect, then to 4AD, to whom I send this loop plus an e-mail sent from me to Zomby with the original Reason song file from October 2007. 4AD accept my evidence and change credits to include my name.

    Zomby has been vague in interviews when asked about the vocal sample. The singer is Natalia Ladygina (hence the name of the track), a Russian friend of mine. She is singing a cover of Irina Dubcova's song 'O nem'. I have other samples of her, so you can expect to hear more of her in the future.

    Thanks to all those who have supported me in this dispute, and all those who were just curious and asked.


    Ha ha, god damn, that's pretty open and shut. Would certainly explain why it doesn't sound like anything else Zomby's done. Funnily enough was going through some old Zomby stuff the other day off the back of that soundcloud mix you posted and ended up here:


  • OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Naughty Zombie.

  • minimini 857 Posts
    M.I.A. : Bad Girls

  • Evian Christ - King and Them Mixtape

    http://www.mediafire.com/?ry78t9r1dn88d1y

    22 year old producer called Joshua Leary who makes ambient rap-ish music. it's dope.

    (nb - signed to triangle but not "witch house" a la Salem / OooOoooOooO etc)

  • Okem said:
    Naughty Zombie.

    Thinking about this Zomby business, surely he's wasting his talents as a producer and should focus instead on A&R since he seems to have a talent for uncovering good music.


  • OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    Evian Christ - King and Them Mixtape

    http://www.mediafire.com/?ry78t9r1dn88d1y

    22 year old producer called Joshua Leary who makes ambient rap-ish music. it's dope.

    (nb - signed to triangle but not "witch house" a la Salem / OooOoooOooO etc)
    I was listening to his youtube channel the other day and can't say I was very impressed. I will give him another go though.

    /link is dead, here's a new http://www.mediafire.com/?nryh94iuhg451bj

  • JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Okem said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    Evian Christ - King and Them Mixtape

    http://www.mediafire.com/?ry78t9r1dn88d1y

    22 year old producer called Joshua Leary who makes ambient rap-ish music. it's dope.

    (nb - signed to triangle but not "witch house" a la Salem / OooOoooOooO etc)
    I was listening to his youtube channel the other day and can't say I was very impressed. I will give him another go though.

    /link is dead, here's a new http://www.mediafire.com/?nryh94iuhg451bj

    Yeah had a listen to the stream of it and can't say I was feeling it too much. I think there was one track I liked (maybe MYD) but overall didn't really grab me.

    Regarding Tri Angle, I dislike witch house on principal but some of the stuff thrown in that category like Horse Macgyver means that they always feel like a label I should like more of the output of than I actually do. I think the Balam Acab Ep is still probably the only thing I like they've released.

    Anyway, while on the ambient hip hop whatever tip I'm liking this sort of despite myself at the moment.


  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,366 Posts
    Junior said:


    Duh, took me a while...


    So, have any more 'Zomby' tunes been discovered?

  • OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you're not bored of the whole Zomby thing already.. The guy who wrote Natalia's Song has released a video of the original work in FL(?), he breaks it all down and plays each part. Just encase there was any doubt before.

    -

    Also this.

  • not feeling evian christ then? i like it. probably biased.

    John Talabot's album is out this week and is a really interesting listen, deeply rooted in the kind of digging culture we approve here on the strut.



    i asked him a few questions about it here http://www.factmag.com/2012/02/10/john-talabot-on-the-making-of-??in-tinfoil-headgear-and-the-romance-of-soulseek/

  • OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    not feeling evian christ then? i like it. probably biased.
    I didn't dislike it, it's an interesting sound but I just felt it was lacking something. Like he's stripping back current genres to make something minimal but he's taken some of the life out of it as well.

  • JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Okem said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    not feeling evian christ then? i like it. probably biased.
    I didn't dislike it, it's an interesting sound but I just felt it was lacking something. Like he's stripping back current genres to make something minimal but he's taken some of the life out of it as well.

    This. It's not bad music but, compared to other artists working in a similar field, it felt a bit clinical and over tailored.

  • JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

  • mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 372 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

    good call, a mate of mine!

  • Ulysses31nicholas said:
    not feeling evian christ then? i like it. probably biased.

    John Talabot's album is out this week and is a really interesting listen, deeply rooted in the kind of digging culture we approve here on the strut.



    i asked him a few questions about it here http://www.factmag.com/2012/02/10/john-talabot-on-the-making-of-??in-tinfoil-headgear-and-the-romance-of-soulseek/

    Good interview! Was he wearing the tin foil over his face while you interviewed him?

  • phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    A new music mix of mine. All from 2011 (except one track)

    Future Beat, UK Funky, Garage, Deep House and Footwork



    1. Sepalcure ??? Fleur [Hotflush 2011]
    2. Arkist ??? Fill My Coffee [Apple Pips 2011]
    3. B.Bravo ??? Substance ft. Lady Alma [Earnest Endeavours 2011]
    4. Brackles ??? Take Me Home [Rinse 2011]
    5. Sly ??? Girl Is Alright [Zest 4 Life 1998]
    6. Zed Bias ??? Music Deep Inside [ Swamp81 2011]
    7. Gongon ??? Crush [Boiler Room 2011]
    8. Klic & Lokiboi ??? Won???t [Top Billin 2011]
    9. DJ Dom ??? Sunshowers [Blunted Robots 2011]
    10. Joy Orbison ??? Knock Knock [Swamp81 2011]
    11. French Fries ??? Hugz [ClekClekBoom Recordings 2011]
    12. Full Crate ??? Joy [Wonderful Ear Recordings 2011]
    13. DJ Lil???Tal ??? Pop Yo Back (Mr Ries Remix) [Loose Squares 2011]
    14. Machinedrum ??? Now U Know The Deal 4 Real [Planet Mu 2011]

  • JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    not feeling evian christ then? i like it. probably biased.

    John Talabot's album is out this week and is a really interesting listen, deeply rooted in the kind of digging culture we approve here on the strut.

    i asked him a few questions about it here http://www.factmag.com/2012/02/10/john-talabot-on-the-making-of-??in-tinfoil-headgear-and-the-romance-of-soulseek/

    Good interview! Was he wearing the tin foil over his face while you interviewed him?

    Whoops, posted a track from the album and totally missed your preview and interview Nick. Really good read, always interesting when someone with really different musical tastes to me makes an album I love.

    Will give his mix a listen.

    Also, do go check out Aguirre

Sign In or Register to comment.