NFL DISCUSSION - 2011 -

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Skins stink. That is all.

• FrankieMeltzer said:
    GenePontecorvo said:
    Oh and the Eagles stiiiiiiiink.

Mr. Vick laying the big post-contract bomb.

He was balling last year....this year not so much.

Not like they woulda been better with Kolb or D-Mac though.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Seahawks beat the Ravens!? LOL.

• RAJ said:

It's so frustrating to be a Ravens fan this year. They are so up and down. However, this loss was on Reed fumbling not once but twice!!! Ughh. Next week's game against the Bengals is going to be huge.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Someday, and I'm not sure when that day will be, punters will no longer kick the ball to Devin Hester. It took Detroit three really nice returns, one of which went for a TD, before they wised up yesterday afternoon. I use the term "wise up" loosely, as Hester has now been in the league six years and we're still going through this same drill damn near every week.

• I watched that whole Lions/Bears game (friend who is a Bears fan related) and I have to say: the Lions are some PUNKS. They play like little bitches man, outside of the rules of fairplay. Time to tap the brakes on all the Stafford hype too.

Bears have been stompin fools out the past few weeks.

• GenePontecorvo said:
    the Lions are some PUNKS. They play like little bitches man, outside of the rules of fairplay. Time to tap the brakes on all the Stafford hype too.

And I was getting a little excited for their matchup against the Packers on Turkey day, but man, the Lions are total frauds! We are now half way through the season, and the Lions are firmly in the pretender camp.

Do you think the lockout and lack of training camps are to blame for one of the weirdest/weakest seasons ever?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Someday, and I'm not sure when that day will be, punters will no longer kick the ball to Devin Hester.

Why you have to kick it to Hester whether you like it or not

• rootlesscosmo said:
    NINERS.

that is all.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    ^^^ THIS

GenePontecorvo said:
    I watched that whole Lions/Bears game (friend who is a Bears fan related) and I have to say: the Lions are some PUNKS. They play like little bitches man, outside of the rules of fairplay. Time to tap the brakes on all the Stafford hype too.

Bears have been stompin fools out the past few weeks.

Yeah, as far as Stafford goes, though, he didn't look right from the outset. He is probably just scared to death to play in Chicago (getting injured here in each of the previous two seasons, last year having his arm practically ripped off by Julius Peppers). It probably didn't help that on one of his first pass attempts, Peppers tipped it and then the world closed into on Matthew. It just seems like Soldier Field is a uniquely bad place for the Stafford and I hope for their sake that it's an anomaly. It did get really dirty, however that hit Briggs delivered on Megatron looked pretty clean, even though he got flagged.

DJ_Enki said:
    white_tea said:
    Someday, and I'm not sure when that day will be, punters will no longer kick the ball to Devin Hester.

Why you have to kick it to Hester whether you like it or not

Very enlightening. Kluwe still seems like a douche.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• rootlesscosmo said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    NINERS.

that is all.

Please, your squad is squarely in the pretender camp as well.

• GenePontecorvo said:

It's a Tebow world. 3-1 under Jesus and very much alive in their division.

nice to see the Broncos go back to a 1930s playbook, 8 pass attempts in a game! Damn, but a win is a win. 300 yards on the ground last week, 250 this week.
    An interesting fact popped up during the game broadcast, apparently the Bills beat the Jets back in 74 with Joe Ferguson going 0/2!

• Garcia_Vega said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    NINERS.

that is all.

this would have been a not-totally-laughable proposition up until yesterday. now it's pretty out of touch.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    NINERS.

that is all.

this would have been a not-totally-laughable proposition up until yesterday. now it's pretty out of touch.
    Niners are still imo not good. Giants played a pretty Jekyll and Hyde terrible game as they're prone to do, and that offsides call the Niners got that led to a drive continuation and an eventual TD was fucking BULLSHIT. Niners right now are a right place/right time team. If they play a competent disciplined team (not the Giants right now) who plays competent football on both sides of the ball, they will lose.
    Let's look at their schedule:
    The mediocre/terrible teams they've beaten:
    Seahawks
    Browns
    Redskins
    Philly
    Bucs
    The good teams they've beaten:
    Giants
    The "jury's still out on these team teams" they've beaten:
    Cincy
    Lions
    Their loss: Cowboys
    They will probably do well the rest of the season because their schedule is a bunch of laughers, barring the Ravens and Steelers, which they will lose at least 1 if not both of those games. They will get into the playoffs in a home game, and if they don't lose that one, they'll lose the next one. There's your season.

Unless your own squad has a record better than 8-1...stfu.

• I'd say the Giants allegedly lackluster playing is offset by the fact that we beat them with the core of our running game (our running game being the core of our offense) totally absent. It's pretty fucking remarkable. Without Gore, most analysts wouldn't even give us a chance against our shitbag NFC West competition. That's changed.

The season's had some milestones. Gore's 5-game 100+ yard streak; stopping the Lions; back-to-back road wins (nothing to sneeze at, esp. given our numbers historically East of the Mississippi).

I'm not mad at our squad.

HarveyCanal said:

There's the old charmer. The title of this thread is NFL Discussion-2011. People discuss things. Look into it.

rootlesscosmo said:
    I'd say the Giants allegedly lackluster playing is offset by the fact that we beat them with the core of our running game (our running game being the core of our offense) totally absent. It's pretty fucking remarkable. Without Gore, most analysts wouldn't even give us a chance against our shitbag NFC West competition. That's changed.

The season's had some milestones. Gore's 5-game 100+ yard streak; stopping the Lions; back-to-back road wins (nothing to sneeze at, esp. given our numbers historically East of the Mississippi).

I'm not mad at our squad.
    I think they have a good chance of doing something. They're a very interesting team, it's just hard to tell with Alex Smith what QB is gonna show up, can Gore come back/and make an impact, and can the defense deal with a disciplined and effective passing team. To me, right now, at best they're a big time "wild card" team in terms of "who knows," and at worst, they're "pretenders." I'm gonna stick with "right place/right time" team and we'll see how the season shakes out.Beating the Giants was definitely a statement game and Harbaugh is a GREAT coach, so that bodes well for 'em.

The_Non said:
    HarveyCanal said:

There's the old charmer. The title of this thread is NFL Discussion-2011. People discuss things. Look into it.

Discounting an 8-1 start isn't a discussion. It's merely jealousy.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    The_Non said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Dude, they lost to the Cowboys!!

• The Niners run the ball and play solid D. What's not to like about that? Harbaugh is a good coach. They are a good team this year. Deal with it.

And I say this as someone who loathes that franchise, but you can't discount what they've done this season.

If my Saints go to SF in the playoffs tho, I'm picking the Saints.

• HarveyCanal said:
    The_Non said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Color me jealous, I wish the Giants had the soft schedule SF got, possibly the softest in the league. SF has a good amount of games that they've barely won too. I'm just saying, Rootless, don't get too excited.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    RAJ said:

I was at the game. My 5 year old's first NFL game. Beyond brutal. He started cheering for the Hawks (with the prompting of my Seattle buddies who were merciless).

Flacco sucked. Hawks got no pressure and he was still bouncing balls off the turf all day. Tavarius outplayed him by a mile. On top of that Reed was Mr Butterfingers and Boldin/Smith dropped big first down throws that hit them directly in the hands. Give props to the Seattle off line. They neutralized Suggs and Ngata. I thought that was really the difference.

Garcia_Vega said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    The_Non said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Color me jealous, I wish the Giants had the soft schedule SF got, possibly the softest in the league. SF has a good amount of games that they've barely won too. I'm just saying, Rootless, don't get too excited.

Look, as a neutral party...you don't get to say shit to 49ers folk this week, nada.

• See, the type of shit that just went down in the GB game is what is really pissing me off about the NFL officiating. It has been uniformly terrible this year. How do those refs huddle up and give Woodson an interception on that play? Inexcusable.

I look at all the refs, especially a lot of the linesmen and judges and these dudes are fucking old as fuck and out of shape. They need to get some youngbloods in there that can keep up with the speed of the game.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    GenePontecorvo said:
    See, the type of shit that just went down in the GB game is what is really pissing me off about the NFL officiating. It has been uniformly terrible this year. How do those refs huddle up and give Woodson an interception on that play? Inexcusable.

I look at all the refs, especially a lot of the linesmen and judges and these dudes are fucking old as fuck and out of shape. They need to get some youngbloods in there that can keep up with the speed of the game.

Maybe they need replay of replay?

I was shocked that it didn't get overturned, too.

• No they did overturn it, but it was ridiciulous that it had to come to that.