NFL DISCUSSION - 2011 -

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    All of my relatives said that the NFL is ass. College football is where it's at. Atmosphere, passion, music, chanting, better rivalries... and more affordable. The relatives all lived in and around Memphis, so I was also thinking that this view could be because there isn't a big franchise nearby.

The South is really into college football. It is pretty great in its own right, but I'm from a region where we have historic professional franchises in the four major American sports, and not a lot of great college athletics to speak of, so it's all about pro sports for me.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Duderonomy said:
    All of my relatives said that the NFL is ass. College football is where it's at. Atmosphere, passion, music, chanting, better rivalries... and more affordable. The relatives all lived in and around Memphis, so I was also thinking that this view could be because there isn't a big franchise nearby.

The South is really into college football. It is pretty great in its own right, but I'm from a region where we have historic professional franchises in the four major American sports, and not a lot of great college athletics to speak of, so it's all about pro sports for me.

Pretty much. I'd be curious if Duderonomy's relatives roll with the Grizz in Memphis.

Here in Chicago, we even two woman's professional sports teams (the Chicago Sky, who play in the WNBA, and the Chicago Bliss, who play in the Lingerie Football League). However, most fans tend to stick with the mens professional sports, which I don't think is a strictly regional distinction.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    white_tea said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Duderonomy said:

Pretty much. I'd be curious if Duderonomy's relatives roll with the Grizz in Memphis.

What's the Grizz? Basketball? Seem to remember them saying that they're only really into football, and on some checking-the-results-but-not-bothering-to-actually-watch-the-actual-races, Nascar.
    They were all about Ol' Miss, another Mississppi State college, and Arkansas. Went to a family BBQ when Auburn played Arkansas, and I decided to support Auburn for the banter. I think I brought the luck of an Arsenal fan with me as the Razorbacks whupped 'em.

Oh, anybody know what goes into Cajun cooking? Best damn food I've eaten in a long time anywhere was cajun stuff that I had in Memphis. Before anybody feels the need to say so, I'm sure N'awlins does it even better, but what's the principal herbs/spices that gives it that slow peppery heat? It's like it's nothing as obvious as chilli. But the flavour just starts to warm your whole mouth up after a few bites. I loved it. And in a guilty pleasure way, slow-smoked on a BBQ baloney was very good too.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Duderonomy said:

Same with me, there is no college sports culture in NYC (unless you can remember back when there were decent college b-ball teams), so no one I know cares about CFB unless they went to a school out of town with a big program. It seems like fun but I can't get excited over it.

Anyone still want to make a case for Carson Palmer helping the Raiders? He can study that playbook for a year, he'll never be worth half of what they gave up to get him. Al Davis never would have made that move.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Oh, anybody know what goes into Cajun cooking? Best damn food I've eaten in a long time anywhere was cajun stuff that I had in Memphis. Before anybody feels the need to say so, I'm sure N'awlins does it even better, but what's the principal herbs/spices that gives it that slow peppery heat? It's like it's nothing as obvious as chilli. But the flavour just starts to warm your whole mouth up after a few bites. I loved it. And in a guilty pleasure way, slow-smoked on a BBQ baloney was very good too.

Cayenne pepper.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Is Tee-Bow the starter now?

Yes indeed. Nice midseason pickup for the fantasy football crowd.

I'm all too familiar with this...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    asstro said:
    Anyone still want to make a case for Carson Palmer helping the Raiders? He can study that playbook for a year, he'll never be worth half of what they gave up to get him. Al Davis never would have made that move.

I'm not interested in making that case, but there is a question that looms behind it: What better option did the Raiders have?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    asstro said:

I'm not interested in making that case, but there is a question that looms behind it: What better option did the Raiders have?

Tank the season and draft another Jamarcus Russell?

DJ_Enki said:
    asstro said:

If Campbell doesn't get hurt, do they make that trade? It's not like they were Super Bowl bound, so there's really no need to try to save the season with such a desperate move. They would have been so much better off making the best/worst of it with Boller or experimenting to see what they might have with Terrelle Pryor, and then determining what to do with Campbell and the next draft. High draft picks are more valuable in the NFL now than they have ever been, this was a move that will keep them struggling for years to come. If I was a Raiders fan I'd be furious.

asstro said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    asstro said:

If Campbell doesn't get hurt, do they make that trade?

Of course not, but that's not the situation; the situation is that Cambell is hurt, and next in line is Kyle Boller. So do you stick with Boller, or do you try to grab somebody else? If you do try to grab somebody else and that "somebody else" isn't Carson Palmer, who is it?

You have to stick with Boller. Nobody but Brady, Rodgers, or maybe Rothelisberger is worth two first round picks.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Why did they have Boller on the payroll to begin with if they had zero confidence in his abilities? I think they shoulda stuck with him and just ran the ball 50 times a game. But then McFadden had to go and get hurt too, so now they are REALLY REALLY FUCT.

asstro said:
    You have to stick with Boller. Nobody but Brady, Rodgers, or maybe Rothelisberger is worth two first round picks.

Honestly, I probably would've stuck with Boller, too, but then again, the Raiders aren't exactly draft geniuses.

Brady pwned by the Steelers for once!

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Skins looked terrible.

• a little too-close-than-it-needed-to-be today for my niners.

but a W is a W.

bring on the Skins.

RAJ said:
    Brady pwned by the Steelers for once!

That was brutal. And for the double whammy, Welker and Hernandez doing nada might have given my fantasy team an L too.

:dodododo:

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I was going to post an offer to Raj before the game tonight thinking for sure I would lose. Too bad for me.

• DrWu said:
    I was going to post an offer to Raj before the game tonight thinking for sure I would lose. Too bad for me.

What a game! I was on the edge of my seat during that final drive.

How about them Pats?

:dead:

• DB_Cooper said:
    How about them Pats?

Will get their swag back on national tv when they embarrass the Jets next Sunday. No way Tom and company lose 3 in a row.

Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    How about them Pats?

Will get their swag back on national tv when they embarrass the Jets next Sunday. No way Tom and company lose 3 in a row.

We'll see. I do not put it past this team to lose three in a row. :hated_it:

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Why did it look like snow was falling in San Diego? Did anyone else see that? Ash?

DrWu said:

I'm in mourning today.

You can't imagine the amount of anger I had when the Steelers got that Delay of Game penalty forcing them to punt with enough to time for Flacco to burn us like he did last year (nightmares of Houshmanzadeh).

Regardless, we really have to beat the Bengals next week to have a shot at any playoff hopes.

• I'm not happy with you Pats right now. As an Eagles fan I needed you to win that. :(

RAJ said:
    DrWu said:

I'm in mourning today.

You can't imagine the amount of anger I had when the Steelers got that Delay of Game penalty forcing them to punt with enough to time for Flacco to burn us like he did last year (nightmares of Houshmanzadeh).

Regardless, we really have to beat the Bengals next week to have a shot at any playoff hopes.

I was out last night and couldn't watch the game. I was kinda upset that I couldn't watch the game ,actually, but when my friend texted me a play-by-play of the Steelers completely blowing it, I was actually sort of glad I wasn't watching. I had recorded the game, and I immediately deleted it when I got home. What the fuck, Steelers? You should be owning the division; now you have to pray for things to break your way so you can get in the playoffs as a Wild Card.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    RAJ said:
    DrWu said:

I'm in mourning today.

I was out last night and couldn't watch the game. I was kinda upset that I couldn't watch the game ,actually, but when my friend texted me a play-by-play of the Steelers completely blowing it, I was actually sort of glad I wasn't watching. I had recorded the game, and I immediately deleted it when I got home. What the fuck, Steelers? You should be owning the division; now you have to pray for things to break your way so you can get in the playoffs as a Wild Card.

No offense but we are far and away the better team in the division. If Torrie hadn't dropped all those balls, we'd have beaten you pretty handily. We have a solid run attack, a nice set of receivers (the TEs are becoming a force), a solid quarterback who throws a really nice ball (even if he's fumble prone recently). We're loaded on the defensive side of the ball, without any real weaknesses from the D line to the secondary. I'd say are biggest weaknesses are a mediocre o line and average special teams play.

The Steelers are very weak except in two areas. Pass rushing and Roethlisberger. That dude makes a million plays. Without him, Pittsburgh is a 3-13 team. Haririson and Polamalu are beasts.

• Thoughts....

It's a Tebow world. 3-1 under Jesus and very much alive in their division.

Saints/Failclowns was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in my life.

Bears owning the Lions today.

Really thought the Colts would get the W.

• Oh and the Eagles stiiiiiiiink.