NFL DISCUSSION - 2011 -

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Wow. The Vikings really stink.

• Bon Vivant said:
    The real "Sexxxy" Rex Grossman showed up today. My Skins are playing for next season now.

It's too early to talk about next season. Plus, Beck looked good out there. If Stallworth had grabbed that long ball we would've scored quicker. With more first-team reps, he'll perform BETTER than Grossman. We just need a quarterback to MANAGE and CONTROL the ball. What I like is that he's quick to get OUT of the pocket if he has to and he has the feet to run for a first down. It was also good to see Austin and Paul get used more. I'm waiting to see Hankerson.

• NINERS.

that is all.

incompletejigsaw said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    The real "Sexxxy" Rex Grossman showed up today. My Skins are playing for next season now.

It's too early to talk about next season. Plus, Beck looked good out there. If Stallworth had grabbed that long ball we would've scored quicker. With more first-team reps, he'll perform BETTER than Grossman. We just need a quarterback to MANAGE and CONTROL the ball. What I like is that he's quick to get OUT of the pocket if he has to and he has the feet to run for a first down. It was also good to see Austin and Paul get used more. I'm waiting to see Hankerson.

I really like your optimism. It's infectious. Ok, I won't throw in the towel just yet. However, let's give Beck's performance some real talk. He couldn't beat out Rex in preseason, so I'm not sold on him. Also, he caused himself to fumble, and luckily got it back. Let's hope it gets better. But, yeah, you talked me off that ledge. Thanks.

• Bon Vivant said:
    incompletejigsaw said:
    Bon Vivant said:

I really like your optimism. It's infectious. Ok, I won't throw in the towel just yet. However, let's give Beck's performance some real talk. He couldn't beat out Rex in preseason, so I'm not sold on him. Also, he caused himself to fumble, and luckily got it back. Let's hope it gets better. But, yeah, you talked me off that ledge. Thanks.

I'll give the Beck performance real talk. Grossman had the advantage going in when he did well against Pittsburgh in the preseason. So Beck had to play catch-up from that point on. Number-wise they were nearly similar throughout the preseason. The advantage Beck had was his mobility and the ability to stretch the play. That long ball to Stallworth was a result of him getting out of the pocket and drawing defenders in to try and stop him. With Grossman, he didn't have that, which led to him trying to throw it away or ending up throwing it where he normally wouldn't have.

As for that fumble, I guess everybody gets one of those. I think it will get better. We didn't get MANHANDLED by Philadelphia like last year, and even with the multiple turnovers our defense was able to hold them off and give us a realistic chance to come back. I think we should fare well against Carolina and Buffalo. I'm not going to say that they'll be EASY wins, but I believe that we can win against them. The season is not over. Yet. And no problem. Anytime.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Another tough win. Even though the o line looks shaky with Grubs out right now and the D didn't make any really big plays, we gutted it out. That's what championship teams do.

Ray Rice should be getting some talk about MVP. Every game dude is running up the yards running and receiving.

• thoughts on the palmer trade?

:dead:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    cookbook said:
    thoughts on the palmer trade?

Kurt Warner was available.

• cookbook said:
    thoughts on the palmer trade?

two first round picks for a has-been.

and a bitch-ass U$C has-been to boot.

shoulda stuck with Boller!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

This could very well be the first time this sentence has ever been uttered.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The Raiders schedule pretty much makes them a lock to make the playoffs....Their 2 losses were Jason Campell's fault....why not take a chance with a much better QB ? Carson can hold it down for 2-3 years..

• DJ_Enki said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

This could very well be the first time this sentence has ever been uttered.

haha I was being sarcastic.

there were no good options for the raiders.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Please. Palmer was pretty dismal last year, his stats looked good but most of that was achieved in garbage time at the end of losses. He hasn't been the same since his knee injury. This trade is going to cripple the Raiders for years, you can't just give away high draft picks in this era of the NFL. Unless you are getting an absolute top-level player you are much better off keeping your picks and developing your talent.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Anybody, grandmothers included, is better than Jason Campbell.

• cloud9cloud9 49 Posts
    Not being the biggest football fan I just don't understand where all this hype surrounding Palmer is coming from. Or is it not how great Palmer is but how bad the previous QB was?

In any case I've got to bring up the (Why fix something if it's not broken) phrase. They're doing better than they have in ages and I feel like this could possibly put a dent in the season but watching ESPN nobody thinks he'll be a problem and that Palmer is bringing the Raiders to an "elite" level.

One thing I saw on ESPN that I thought was funny was "Carson Palmer is ranked 10th among all current QB's in the League", I don't remember if it was based on yardage or what but why are they making a big deal out of that? 10th.... OK how many teams are there? 20? They got the 10th best QB in the league they're going to the Superbowl.

Oh well... Go Raiders!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Not that the Raiders are that much of a step up, but I can only guess that Palmer had a hard time shining on the Bengals . Dude was surrounded by criminals, miscreants, and WRs with over inflated egos. I really think he can do something good with this franchise...

• RAJ said:
    Not that the Raiders are that much of a step up, but I can only guess that Palmer had a hard time shining on the Bengals . Dude was surrounded by criminals, miscreants, and WRs with over inflated egos. I really think he can do something good with this franchise...

exactly. based on how 85 has been playing with new england, it really goes to show that alot of the blame may have been misdirected at the time.

• TEBOW! TEBOW! TEBOW!

Damn he played like shit for the first 57 minutes but what a comeback!!

cloud9 said:

In any case I've got to bring up the (Why fix something if it's not broken) phrase. They're doing better than they have in ages and I feel like this could possibly put a dent in the season but watching ESPN nobody thinks he'll be a problem and that Palmer is bringing the Raiders to an "elite" level.

The starting QB's collarbone is broken, and the backup is Kyle Boller. They need fixing.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Christian Ponder looked surprisingly good against a decent Packers defense, perhaps the Vikings picked well after all.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Christian Ponder looked surprisingly good against a decent Packers defense, perhaps the Vikings picked well after all.

Dude did get shook as bad as, say, Boller (oof) but Ponder threw 2 INTs at a time that allowed the Packers to start catching some fire. Not a disastrous day but still very much "work in progress."

Raiders were major facepalm today. There's still two games to go but unless another team puts up 4 INTS in a shut-out, they're definitely winning this week's Bad QB league scoring.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Colts season = suck for Luck

• FrankieMeltzer said:
    That was one terrible week for the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE. One crap game after another.

Upon reflection, I'd have to agree.

In other news, if you came to play a bigtime college or pro game in Louisiana this past weekend, YOU GOT RAPED!

• Maybe so, but I loved it.

Who caught the piece about JImmy Graham on Countdown this morning?

My favorite player in the league besides Drew Brees. This kid is gonna be amazing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/26606/video-jimmy-grahams-unlikely-path

• FrankieMeltzer said:
    GenePontecorvo said:
    In other news, if you came to play a bigtime college or pro game in Louisiana this past weekend, YOU GOT RAPED!

There was no pro game in Louisiana this weekend. Just a sad mockery of one.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    That was one pitiful display of football tonight. Excepting the punter those guys should all forfeit their checks this week.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    DrWu said:
    That was one pitiful display of football tonight. Excepting the punter those guys should all forfeit their checks this week.

Indeed, you can't expect to win with a quarterback named Blaine and a star running back who fumbles four times (one of which he recovered). Oh, wait... they did win?

:sick:

Seriously though, that Jags kicker with three FGs at 50+ yards? Not too shabby.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    There's kissing in football?

I always thought the constant ass-spanking was disturbing.

Is Tee-Bow the starter now?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Yes indeed. Nice midseason pickup for the fantasy football crowd.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Duderonomy said:

Yes indeed. Nice midseason pickup for the fantasy football crowd.

I was staying with my folks end of October/early Nov, and the weekend after he nearly led a last minute comeback (incomplete pass into the endzone after shimmying in and out of the pocket for an eternity), all of the analysis programs were chewing the fat over this selection dilema. Deon Sanders (who I only remember as a player) was vehemently in support of him on the grounds that experience be damned, sh*t happens when he's on the field. Seemed like a good enough reason to me.

All of my relatives said that the NFL is ass. College football is where it's at. Atmosphere, passion, music, chanting, better rivalries... and more affordable. The relatives all lived in and around Memphis, so I was also thinking that this view could be because there isn't a big franchise nearby.