Where's the "Watch The Throne" thread?

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Herm said:
    Doesn't do much to dispel illuminati rumors though. (Not that I buy into or even pay attention to that nonsense.)

It's probably purpose-built to fuel those rumours. I think there's a definite "let's fuck with people's heads" thing going on with much of this record.

I like it. I'm also in the "best Jay performance for a while" camp. I'm still of the opinion that Otis shouldn't work but does, and that kind of spills over into the record as a whole. It's pretty adventurous at a time when hip-hop often seems quite conservative musically.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Herm said:
    Doesn't do much to dispel illuminati rumors though. (Not that I buy into or even pay attention to that nonsense.)

It's probably purpose-built to fuel those rumours. I think there's a definite "let's fuck with people's heads" thing going on with much of this record.

You're probably right. Flaunt it 'til the rumors seem pointless. I'm a fan of this move.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im really digging how mad people are over the samples on this album

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This album wasn't such a bad listen. Sonically everything is very well done.

I'm not into paying for it, but it made for an interesting conversation. Jay sounds like he's having fun which I guess counts for something. Even if it's maybe the worse I've ever heard him rap. Oh well.. Dude deserves to be happy. I really was hoping he was going to age lyrically as deep as BIGGIE. I wouldn't be surprised if alot of this album was just him improvising in the booth.

Kanye proves once again to be a mediocre middle school lyricist. Primetime & That's my Bitch (I really don't like the girl singer on the chorus) are the cool cuts to me.

I'd like to heard Pimp C & Bun B over that Niggaz in Paris beat.

HAM is a good word to call Kanye. He clearly is a ham. Surprised to hear the Pete Rock track talk about a consistent sound.

- spidey

*repeated post*

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    so u take kingdom come jay over this?

and from 94 to 2011', Jay hasnt aged lyrically compared to Biggie's three+ year career?

batmon said:
    so u take kingdom come jay over this?

Absolutely.

batmon said:

and from 94 to 2011', Jay hasnt aged lyrically compared to Biggie's three+ year career?

Just my personal opinion. Biggie has always been deeper than Jay. Big has verses that I'll remember my whole life.

Biggie smalls is the wickedest /
    Nigga say I'm pussy /
    I dare you to stick your dick in this /
    If I was pussy I'd be filled with syphilis /
    Herpies, gonorrhea /
    Chlamydia getting rid o' ya..

I guess thinking about it more. This watch the throne album is a little like a Big/Puff album. However I guess I can give it to Kanye that he's more interesting with production and lyrics then Puff. Which I guess isn't really saying much.

- spidey

- spidey

These are great.

- spidey

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Q:

fun > hungry

or

hungry > fun

?

:freeway:

• bassie said:
    Q:

fun > hungry

or

hungry > fun

?

What is this, a Mek Jagger thread?

SPlDEY said:
    Nigga say I'm pussy /
    Herpies, gonorrhea /
    Chlamydia getting rid o' ya

we have different ideas on what deep means

• Seeing them have fun in the Otis video kind of made me like the album more. I dont if hungry is better than fun or vice versa, but fun helps. Just hungry can go terribly wrong, but so can just fun.

Controller_7 said:
    bassie said:
    Q:

fun > hungry

or

hungry > fun

?

What is this, a Mek Jagger thread?

lmho - I just got this now.

batmon said:
    SPlDEY said:
    Nigga say I'm pussy /
    Herpies, gonorrhea /
    Chlamydia getting rid o' ya

we have different ideas on what deep means

That verse is just genius and memorable. I remember when Jay-Z used to be this way too. Don't you?

- spidey

bassie said:
    Q:

fun > hungry

or

hungry > fun

?

vs.

I think it will suck if you go too far to either extreme.

- spidey

SPlDEY said:

- spidey

Like everything in life, right?
    I don't want to drink long island iced teas every morning and Jameson every night, but I do prefer one over the other.

• I can't believe that Spooky Tooth sample is even credited.

What about the samples I actually care to hear? Murder to Excellence? The main sample on Primetime?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    bassie said:
    SPlDEY said:

- spidey

I don't want to drink long island iced teas every morning and Jameson every night, but I do prefer one over the other.
    You drink alcohol in the morning?

Reynaldo said:
    bassie said:
    SPlDEY said:

- spidey

Only to forget the sound of Kanye's whining.

bassie said:
    Reynaldo said:
    bassie said:
    SPlDEY said:

- spidey

You spend nights with Kanye?

Herm said:
    bassie said:
    Reynaldo said:
    bassie said:
    SPlDEY said:

- spidey

You spend nights with Kanye?

And there seems to be nothing wrong with his tool either.

:oh_my:

This whole thing has gotten away from me.

No, I don't drink alcohol in the mornings, nor do I drink every night.
    No, I don't spend nights with Kanye. In my bed or in my speakers.
    No, I have not seen his junk in real life.
    Yes, I find him to have one of the most annoying sounding voices in rap.

I cringe whenever he goes HUH? on a song.

Got my niggas in Paris and they going gorillas, huh!

This doesn't work for me at all. I can only reccomend Ye take huh lessons from Juvenile.

- spidey

SPlDEY said:
    I cringe whenever he goes HUH? on a song.

Got my niggas in Paris and they going gorillas, huh!

This doesn't work for me at all. I can only reccomend Ye take huh lessons from Juvenile.

- spidey

Kanye's is more of a "hehhhhhh" though. I'm okay with it. Just another overused trademark adlib in the history of overused trademark adlibs (see: T.I.'s & Juelz' "Ayyy!" and 40's guttural "Oooooooh!").

Also...

"We formed a new religion, no sins as long as there's permission
    And deception is the only felony...so never F*CK nobody without telling me."

:raw:

:real_headz:

I've always been a fan of the Clipse's (and Ab-Liva's?) eccchhhhhh.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    after a long road trip this weekend which allowed quite a few thorough listens, I subscribe to the many reasons why this album is disappointing. the beats are expensive. that doesn't make it good. i just can't feel it somehow. many reasons, but most of them are kanye related. nevermind that everything about Kanye bristles me to the core, listening to him is like having to sit next to the spazzy desperate loud mouth hyperactive kid in class. when obama called him a jackass i loved every minute of it. but of this album, i just really don't care about the rarified air they breathe.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I really like this album so far, but feel like I need more listens to really digest.

I saw Kanye live this saturday and it really becomes clear how his ego is both his greatest strength and weakness. Sometimes he'd go into three minute autotune rants about how it's great to see so many people despite media portraying him as a "monster" and how the media can't hold back the truth and how he's gold i 23 countries... People don't care, especially in Sweden, where the media isn't really full of Kanyes latest award show antics.

On the other hand, his live show is pretty off the scale. Twenty ballerinas dressed in black carrying a huge white sheet - doing some sort of modern dance routine under it and then uncovering Kanye standing on a podium with his mpc and a MJ-style red leather outfit? :next_level:

• Herm said:
    40's guttural "Oooooooh!").
    ^^^
    could single-handedly vaporize the entire white girl mob and all its hangers on if it wanted to,
    no lyrics necessary...