Where's the "Watch The Throne" thread?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    ...i just can't feel it somehow. many reasons, but most of them are kanye related. nevermind that everything about Kanye bristles me to the core, listening to him is like having to sit next to the spazzy desperate loud mouth hyperactive kid in class....i just really don't care about the rarified air they breathe.

I agree with this.

Speaking of rarefied lol - let me run with this not-at-all indicative-of-the-world-at-large SoulSturt trend and wonder if Kanye's musical allure works more on men than women (not counting groupies and such)??

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    that is a great explanation of kanyes raps. i prefer he sticks to the beats and shuts the fuk up.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    bassie said:
    AKallDay said:
    ...i just can't feel it somehow. many reasons, but most of them are kanye related. nevermind that everything about Kanye bristles me to the core, listening to him is like having to sit next to the spazzy desperate loud mouth hyperactive kid in class....i just really don't care about the rarified air they breathe.

I agree with this.

Speaking of rarefied lol - let me run with this not-at-all indicative-of-the-world-at-large SoulSturt trend and wonder if Kanye's musical allure works more on men than women (not counting groupies and such)??

I think he's a big cornball these days, but he still occasionally has some nice rhymes or a hot beat. His autotune whining/singing is the only thing worse than his irreverent misogyny.

This album was surpringly good to me. I really liked Lift Off, "Paris", Gotta Have It and Made in America.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    bassie said:
    Q:

fun > hungry

or

hungry > fun

?

:freeway:

vs.

I think it will suck if you go too far to either extreme.

- spidey

If nothing else, this thread has at least revealed that Soulstrut likes its rappeurs fungry.

I would add the personal aside that fungry is better than hangry. Nobody likes hangry.

jaymack said:
    i prefer he sticks to the beats

He is an excellent producer.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    ketan said:
    bassie said:
    AKallDay said:

I agree with this.

I think he's a big cornball these days, but he still occasionally has some nice rhymes or a hot beat. His autotune whining/singing is the only thing worse than his irreverent misogyny.

This album was surpringly good to me. I really liked Lift Off, "Paris", Gotta Have It and Made in America.

oh, so YOU'RE the one.....i'm gonna have to put that as the worst track on the disc, by far.

thrope said:
    ketan said:
    I really liked Lift Off

oh, so YOU'RE the one.....i'm gonna have to put that as the worst track on the disc, by far.

yeah, speaking of big cornball...I don't know really know why i like it.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    thrope said:
    ketan said:
    bassie said:
    AKallDay said:

I agree with this.

Jeez, do you even party?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    ketan said:
    AKallDay said:

I think he's a big cornball these days. His autotune whining/singing is the only thing worse than his irreverent misogyny.

Totally agree with this. Kanye is insufferable. I was at a festival where he headlined recently, saw one or two songs in the show and had to leave - it irked me so much, plus, those songs jesus walks and Golddigger are the worst. He was beeing booed by kids and went off on some pathetic me me me rant mid show. cant abide his ignant ass.

from the guardian review:
    Later, comes a precarious moment: Kanye West's headline slot. Half an hour late on stage, he sings his first song from the sound tower, which hardly anyone can see. Then he arrives at the front of a completely white stage, dressed completely in white, in front of billowing white smoke machines, the sky lighting up with white fireworks.

He plays all the hits ??? Jesus Walks, Diamonds from Sierra Leone, Gold Digger ??? but when he starts to speak, as he does often, things fall apart. A 10-minute rant about a video award he won some years back, which he annoyingly had to fly for 12 hours to receive, sinks into a mind-melting ramble against phoniness. This is met by huge boos, and fleeing people. He is so honest, he protests, as he strikes poses before a backdrop of Greco-Roman statues. Then he puts the icing on his cake: "People treat me like Hitler," he raves. That, you feel, is that.

Many of the people remaining seem to be gawping at him, rather than enjoying his performance. Then, when you think things can't get any more This Is Spinal Tap ??? This Is Spinal Rap, perhaps? ??? West's encore begins with a massive white sheet falling on to the stage, smothering all of the dancers, to the strains of the theme to Chariots of Fire. Is their billowing shape meant to signify a mountain? A glacier? Few seem to know; fewer still seem to care.

Long before West wraps up with the day's second tribute to Winehouse ??? preceded by a me-me-me speech about how he met her, of course ??? a group of girls go past, shouting something many people are feeling. Wriggling their glitter-sparkled bodies, "Kanye West is a knobhead!," they squeal. A performance there, one senses, that many people can agree with.

"people think im hitler' they dont get me' - gtfooh.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I thought i was a West hattro but damn we get it, u dont like dude.

Can we discuss the album instead of the usual Taylor Swift nonsense.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    thrope said:
    ketan said:
    bassie said:
    AKallDay said:

I agree with this.

Jeez, do you even party?

all partying aside, what track is worse?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "Lift Off" is my favorite track, with 29 plays. My least favorite is probably "Made in America," with only 21 plays. The track reminds me of Cornell West's cornier moments.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    "Jesus Walks" shits over any of the "Real Hip Hop" that you listen to. That song is perfection. All those underground dudes you listen to can't make music that powerful, sometimes theres a reason dudes are on top............. Kanye's a prime example.

• People keep mentioning expensive samples. Is there an article aboutthis or something concrete that people are getting this from? Or is it just something that someone said and has been repeated in the twitterverse.

Is it just an assumption that James Brown samples are expensive? Otis Redding? Or can someone point me to something about the expenses? Just curious because it keeps being repeated.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    haze25 said:
    "Jesus Walks" shits over any of the "Real Hip Hop" that you listen to. That song is perfection. All those underground dudes you listen to can't make music that powerful, sometimes theres a reason dudes are on top............. Kanye's a prime example.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Rappers like a spot of God-bothering. Generally, the hip hop invocation of Jesus, Allah or Jah is a specious attempt at significance-by-association, poorly disguised as God-fearing humility. You know, 'Yes, I am a materialist, misogynist wannabe drug overlord ... but I asked the Baby Jesus for forgiveness and he assured me, over a glass of hugely expensive cognac, that I'm a special case because of my God-given talent.' One of US hip hop's chief selling points is its ability to make a spiritual mountain out of a self-obsessed molehill, as summed up neatly by rap's newest superstar on 'Jesus Walks': 'God show me the way because the devil's trying to break me down.'

:hated_it:

i cant separate the man from the music - i like my rap to be lyrical, funky and banging, not the self obsessed baroque pop kitsch. Doesnt mean you and the generation Y teen demographic cant cling to kanye like they do gaga and madonna. have fun with that.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    staxwax said:
    i like my rap to be lyrical, funky and banging

Yes! This commerical rap album release thread is now complete.

For someone who so passionately hates both the man and his music you sure do devote a lot of time to listening and discussing him on this site.

• I've listened to Watch The Throne on repeat for a week, tried to put some effort in as I'm not usually a Kanye fan. I'm surprised how much I really, really like some of the tracks, and conversely the awful bits are truly fucking awful.

great bits:

-The title track
    -the kraftwerk-esque riff on "n***** in paris"
    -the second beat on Murder to Excellence
    -primetime
    -the joy
    -some of the rapping, particularly jay z's bits
    -I quite like that "ooooooooo I love you so" thing, don't know why but i do. maybe cause its in that perfume ad.
    -occasional flashes of genius in the verbal interplay between jay and ye.

appalling bits:
    -lift off (exactly the lilypad shit others have stated - crap)
    -autotuned nina simone New Day (awfullllll.. one of the worst beats i've heard in my entire life - a toddler could do better)
    -that stupid silence on illest motherfucker (pointless? why oh why.)
    -the use of Flux Pavillion - terrible dubstep artist, shocking beat.
    -some of the rapping, particularly kanye's bits. (though i can see the car crash fascination with them)
    -the general cheap, Asda-price sound of the production, in quite a few places sounds rushed, badly mixed and largely in poor taste. why not try to have at least a sort of consistency to it? its all over the place. sounds like a random collection of tracks, not an album per se.

overall, better than the Twisted Dark Utterly Overrated Fantasy, and totally awesome fun in places, but the amount of track-skipping it takes to get to those places makes it a 2.75 mikes out of 5.

i will be adopting the use of "told her to run a bubble bath / and float in that shit like a hovercraft" in my day to day life though, cheers kanye!

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    -autotuned nina simone New Day (awfullllll.. one of the worst beats i've heard in my entire life - a toddler could do better)

I haven't dissected, but it's Nina Simone for sure? I only ask becasue RZA used Freda Payne's Feeling Good on Bob n'I...and as big a RZA fan I am, using the same song (even if it's different artists) twice? Meh.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    bassie said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

I haven't dissected, but it's Nina Simone for sure? I only ask becasue RZA used Freda Payne's Feeling Good on Bob n'I...and as big a RZA fan I am, using the same song (even if it's different artists) twice? Meh.

this is my sentiment exactly, the only thing i can come up with is that The Throne asked for "vintage RZA" or something... (aside from the fact this is so far from "vintage RZA")

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    For the most part, I'm a fan of Kanye's raps, but goddamn his verse on "Illest Motherfucker Alive" is dumb as FUCK. I wanna slap the shit out of him for that "Russell" bit. I'd be embarrassed if I were any of those Russells.

I'll give him that "centerfolds" line though.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Herm said:
    For the most part, I'm a fan of Kanye's raps, but goddamn his verse on "Illest Motherfucker Alive" is dumb as FUCK. I wanna slap the shit out of him for that "Russell" bit. I'd be embarrassed if I were any of those Russells.

I'll give him that "centerfolds" line though.

what's more embarassing was in the "doc" when he's rapping the line TO russell crowe.

:post_modern:

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I just wanted to say this is my clear album of the year winner so far.

Its also my favorite rap album in a long time. Probably jay's best album since the black album too.

Jay is in top form for this whole thing. Kanye is great too, but having jay there really adds a sense of balance that is missing from his last record. I also dig kanye kinda basking in his "bad guy" role and really not giving a fuck.

I dunno, apparently opinions are mixed, but for me this shit is just about perfect.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Also, Mike Dean is one of the coolest, most humble and down to earth dudes I have ever met in the business. Its great to see him winning.

this seems relevant/like catnip:

http://www.avclub.com/chicago/articles/reissue-label-numero-group-accuses-jayz-and-kanye,60888/

good on numero, from the looks of it!

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    anyone check out carter 4? (i forgot the struts opinion of weezy.....) theres a pretty hot jay-z diss track and some other goodies. i probably should have made a new thread...ehh.....

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I bet on the neyt Black Eyed Peas album will be a dubstep as well. Let the sell out begin.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    dunno if anyone posted this, but that kid mero basically killed this shit on his review:

http://www.thesource.com/articles/87026?thesource-prod=jpmubv8ta66o3oodh2ke7i7g91

he sounds like a less corny version of those fake ghostface reviews everyone seems to love...

THATS MY BITCH - IS THAT SANTIGOLD/LUTHER VANDROSS ON THE HOOK B? THIS BEAT IS HARD BUT THAT NINTENDO SYNTH IS KILLIN ME. KANYE VERSE IS TOUGH (HANH?!) JAY KILLED IT TOO. OBVIOUSLY THIS IS SOME "MY BITCH IS BAD" TYPE SHIT BUT IT'S NOT OD SIMPY ON SOME DRAKE "SWEATPANTS HAIR TIED...THATS WHEN YOUR THE PRETTIEST" TYPE SHIT. I WANNA SEE JAYZ COME UP WITH SOME SHIT TO EXPLAIN THE TITLE OF THE SONG TO CAUCASIAN FEMINISTS "WHAT I MEANT BY BITCH WAS LIKE I OWN A KENNEL AND ALL THE FEMALE DOGS IN MY KENNEL WEAR HERMES"...YEAH I KNOW PAL.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    dunno if anyone posted this, but that kid mero basically killed this shit on his review:

http://www.thesource.com/articles/87026?thesource-prod=jpmubv8ta66o3oodh2ke7i7g91

he sounds like a less corny version of those fake ghostface reviews everyone seems to love...

THATS MY BITCH - IS THAT SANTIGOLD/LUTHER VANDROSS ON THE HOOK B? THIS BEAT IS HARD BUT THAT NINTENDO SYNTH IS KILLIN ME. KANYE VERSE IS TOUGH (HANH?!) JAY KILLED IT TOO. OBVIOUSLY THIS IS SOME "MY BITCH IS BAD" TYPE SHIT BUT IT'S NOT OD SIMPY ON SOME DRAKE "SWEATPANTS HAIR TIED...THATS WHEN YOUR THE PRETTIEST" TYPE SHIT. I WANNA SEE JAYZ COME UP WITH SOME SHIT TO EXPLAIN THE TITLE OF THE SONG TO CAUCASIAN FEMINISTS "WHAT I MEANT BY BITCH WAS LIKE I OWN A KENNEL AND ALL THE FEMALE DOGS IN MY KENNEL WEAR HERMES"...YEAH I KNOW PAL.

Seriously?? That "review" seemed MORE corny to me!