Where's the "Watch The Throne" thread?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    TheDollarBinDon said:
    how can you sample Flux Pavillion and Cassisus singles that were out in the past year????

You realize the first ten years of hip hop was dudes rapping over songs that had just recently come out, right?

Is that supposed to be a convincing defense though? Wasn't the whole point of the "new school" to find some new shit to do instead of just rapping over disco breaks?

Personally, what I'd say is that the redone vocals sound better the way Ye and 'em did it. "Why I Love You" is a total ear worm, probably the catchiest single track (musically) on the album.

CousinLarry said:
    My college roommate and friend is Kanye's exclusive engineer and did most of the recording for this album and his last, I can't help but just be proud as hell of him for this shit.

Very cool. How did he and Kanye link up?

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    On first listen I like the second half of the album more than the first. I find the way Kanye gets everything distorting a bit tiring. Kind of sounds like he's trying to make it sound like low quality mp3's on purpose.
    Still I expect it will grow on me..

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    No church in the wild - :hard_as_fuck:

Lift Off -

Niggas in Paris -

Otis - :roar:

Gotta Have it -

New Day - :next_level:

That's my Bitch -

Welcome to the jungle - :off_the_wall:

Who gon stop me - :beerbang:

Murder to excellence - :shit_yeah:

Made in America - :weaksauce:

Why i love you - :ehhx2:

Illest motherfucker alive - :liljohn:

H.A.M - :shitty:

Primetime -

The JOY - :latte: :killin_it:

• I've only listened to it about 1.5 times, but can you guys tell me what makes new day next level? The beat kind of sounds like the stock sounds on the mpc floppies.

I'm just curious what about this doing it for people?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    TheDollarBinDon said:
    how can you sample Flux Pavillion and Cassisus singles that were out in the past year????

You realize the first ten years of hip hop was dudes rapping over songs that had just recently come out, right?

Is that supposed to be a convincing defense though? Wasn't the whole point of the "new school" to find some new shit to do instead of just rapping over disco breaks?

Personally, what I'd say is that the redone vocals sound better the way Ye and 'em did it. "Why I Love You" is a total ear worm, probably the catchiest single track (musically) on the album.

I wonder if Bob James gets paid for that "Why I Love You" interpolation.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    I've only listened to it about 1.5 times, but can you guys tell me what makes new day next level? The beat kind of sounds like the stock sounds on the mpc floppies.

guitars for whitey

• batmon said:
    Controller_7 said:
    I've only listened to it about 1.5 times, but can you guys tell me what makes new day next level? The beat kind of sounds like the stock sounds on the mpc floppies.

guitars for whitey

For a Rza beat, I guess I just don't see the big deal. It kind of sounds like Bobby Digital doing Dr Dre from the past 5 years. The synth twinkle throughout the song is cheesy.

Not on this song, but why are people still adding "turn my headphones up" to songs.

• I never really listened to Otis before this album, but it kind of works where it's at on the album. I like a bunch of this record. I'm just not sure about 10/10. That seems generous.

it aint no perfect album.lets not get carried away like its this generations Its Takes A Nation stuff.

batmon said:
    it aint no perfect album.lets not get carried away like its this generations Its Takes A Nation stuff.

Of course not. That was Kanye's last album, remember?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    CousinLarry said:
    My college roommate and friend is Kanye's exclusive engineer and did most of the recording for this album and his last, I can't help but just be proud as hell of him for this shit.

Very cool. How did he and Kanye link up?

He was an engineer at Electric Lady Land, pretty sure they hooked up there first.

mannybolone said:
    batmon said:

Of course not. That was Kanye's last album, remember?

ha..thats what i was referencing. So Throne is Fear Of A Black Planet?
    :oh_snap:

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    TheDollarBinDon said:

Defense of what? I'm not arguing that it's what's good and fresh at the moment, or that that's what hip hop should be in the '11. Dude is coming off like the idea of rapping over a recently released song is some sort of anathema to hip hop. It's a prevalent idea among people who were raised on James Brown samples and raer loops. But it's an element of hip hop that goes all the way back to the beginning, and it's no less valid than rapping over a drum machine or the Funky Drummer loop.

• DB_Cooper said:
    mannybolone said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    TheDollarBinDon said:

Defense of what? I'm not arguing that it's what's good and fresh at the moment, or that that's what hip hop should be in the '11. Dude is coming off like the idea of rapping over a recently released song is some sort of anathema to hip hop. It's a prevalent idea among people who were raised on James Brown samples and raer loops. But it's an element of hip hop that goes all the way back to the beginning, and it's no less valid than rapping over a drum machine or the Funky Drummer loop.

wow . i am officially old and out of the loop. as far as im concerned this albums is a slightly more cerebral version of something flo rider would put out.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Flo Rida is soooo 2010.

Despite knowing better I'm actually surprised by some of the reaction regarding the overall sound of the album. Have you not heard anything these two artists have put out in the last 4 years? Did you listen to Blueprint 3? If this makes you cry what kind of state were you left in by that abomination?
    While no MBDTF, this album is far better than I expected it to be since all signs from H.A.M. seemed to point to this being a quick and sloppy collaboration.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Junior said:

Despite knowing better I'm actually surprised by some of the reaction regarding the overall sound of the album. Have you not heard anything these two artists have put out in the last 4 years? Did you listen to Blueprint 3? If this makes you cry what kind of state were you left in by that abomination?
    While no MBDTF, this album is far better than I expected it to be since all signs from H.A.M. seemed to point to this being a quick and sloppy collaboration.

Sorry Junior... I already ruined ya.

• skimmed through it last night and was definitely :feelin_it:

Kanye talks about women like he didnt get no pussy until he was successful.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:

Didn't dude work at Hot Topic in the mall or something? 'Cause that's not really going to be pulling in boy band levels of groupie love, right there. I bet the Cinnabon cashier gets laid more often than Hot Topic dude. If nothing else, he can ply the buxom set with delicious treats.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    batmon said:

look at dude.

rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

look at dude.

sayin.....

Jay as camel as he looks he doesnt delve into that type of talk that often.

im just a little like why u mentioning this shit so much in your rhymes?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i noticed lil wayne raps about sex constantly and just kinda seems like a horny dude, but 'Ye is like SEE IM FUCKING MODELS. BECAUSE IM TALKING ABOUT IT. YEAH ITS HAPPENING. IM HAVING SEX WITH MODELS. I REALLY WANT YOU TO KNOW IM DOING THAT. kinda pathetic

• So far my favorite part is the dwarf. Also that part where the dude cut off the horses head.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Musically, it is not my thing.

Now, on Kanye and chicks. Sorry if I spouted this arm-chair psychology already but imo he hasn't dealt with his Mom's death, which comes with its own life-in-the-modern-world baggage given the cause. He has messed-up relationships that make him more and more bitter and misogynist (yea yea, everyone has messed-up relationships and they don't end up with weird teenage love/hate phobias about women, but see my previous diagnosis). The weird occasions of sometimes booze-fueled outbursts - that could be manic depression, but I think it's more the need to create and control the hate as opposed to have to deal with the soul-crushing blow that you are hated for who you truly are.

And there is nothing wrong with his looks. And I've seen the photos, there seems to be nothing wrong with his tool either. I don't think achieving trim is new to him at all.

• EdPowers' review was on point

Album is sick

Might be better than My Beautiful Dark Twosted Veiny Fantasy

• bassie said:
    And I've seen the photos, there seems to be nothing wrong with his tool either. I don't think achieving trim is new to him at all.

Wait, you're the girl he emailed those photos to?

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    EdPowers' review was on point

Album is sick

Might be better than My Beautiful Dark Twosted Veiny Fantasy

i think so. jay provides some balance.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

Wash the throne...

:talib:

• http://bigghostnahmean.blogspot.com/2011/08/ayo-this-p-tones-review-for-watch.html

11. Made In America (ft. Frank Ocean) - First of all son....Lionel Richie called from 1986 n said he wants his song back yo. Word. Sade jus holla'd on twitter to say this shit is soft as fuck namsayin. I think Elton John wants to conceive babies to this joint b. Drake said he gon soak in his lotion pool to this shit rite here for like a week son. I think Wiz Khagina is scissorin wit Amber Rose to this shit rite now as we speak yo. I heard this shit gon be used for the next Gwyneth Paltrow movie too. I dont kno how the same nigga that did Who Gon Stop Me had anything to do wit this shit but apparently he did nahmean. This shit sounds like two niggas hang glidin over the ocean together at sunset holdin hands son. I think this is bout to be on Yung Berg's yoga playlist. I cant fuck wit this shit at all b. This shit is like audio lesbian comin out my speakers son.