Republican Presidential Debate last night

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
Obama looks like a safe bet for '12.

The most entertaining moment was when Pawlenty and Santorum battled for who had crazier views on abortion. Pawlenty tried to take the crown by arguing that a right wing magazine said he was the champ of denying women the right to choose (even under circumstances of rape), but Santorum one-upped him by advocating that doctors who perform abortions will be put in jail when he becomes president.

:face_melt:

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    did you need to watch a debate to see how nutso dudes (and dudette) are?

PAUL 2012 THOUGH

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

I did like Paul's final comment in this clip.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

THANK YOU

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    No end in sight of economic problems, fear of a double dip recession. I would say that the money would be on Obama being a one-term president right now no matter how the field of Republicans looks like right now.

• DOR said:

I did like Paul's final comment in this clip.

But he would say that about Somalia or any humanitarian mission too. The "mind our own business" model makes more sense than the Bush doctrine but its hardly a noble philosophy.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    motown67 said:
    No end in sight of economic problems, fear of a double dip recession. I would say that the money would be on Obama being a one-term president right now no matter how the field of Republicans looks like right now.
    way too early to call. i have absolutely no hope for the economy to recover but who knows what else we'll be distracted with next year.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    Brian said:
    did you need to watch a debate to see how nutso dudes (and dudette) are?

PAUL 2012 THOUGH

Under the theory of getting it all over with by skipping to the craziest guy in the field?

It will be more fun when Rick Perry gets in and shoots Mitt Romney. Mr. Megatexan is on the loose.
    hey how come you got banned again

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Brian said:
    motown67 said:
    way too early to call. i have absolutely no hope for the economy to recover but who knows what else we'll be distracted with next year.

Four years of economic problems means the Republicans don't have to come up with any distractions.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Brian said:
    motown67 said:

Four years of economic problems means the Republicans don't have to come up with any distractions.

Obama's approval ratings should scare the daylights out of the GOP. No one in this kind of economic trouble has those kind of ratings. Plus, he's signaled to the big money Wall St guys that he is not going to do anything too crazy. Money will flow like rivers. The big news today is that the generic congressional ballot shows Dems leading GOP by 7 points, higher than last year's tidal wave election. Look for the house to change hands and Obama to win in a squeaker (if the economy doesn't fall off a cliff).

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm with Motown.
    If unemployment is above 9% on election day AND if the Rs nominate Romney, Obama is a one term president.

Unless, as Brain says, the whole world changes between now and then.

Since the election is most likely going to be about jobs most of the Republican field does not look good.
    Pawlenty or Perry have way to many negatives and the rest are not convincing jobs candidates.

Disclaimer: In 1980 I said it was a joke for the Rs to nominate an actor like Reagan and he could never win.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    dudes we're going to be blowing the fuck up shit in syria or iran or somewhere by the end of the year. economy don't matter then

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Does anybody--including Herman Cain--know what the fuck Herman Cain was talking about last night?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I'm with Motown.
    If unemployment is above 9% on election day AND if the Rs nominate Romney, Obama is a one term president.

keithvanhorn said:
    The "mind our own business" model makes more sense than the Bush doctrine but its hardly a noble philosophy.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    DOR said:

What does a pic of a tranny fellating a corndog have to do with the republican presidential debate?

Snapping said:
    DOR said:

What does a pic of a tranny fellating a corndog have to do with the republican presidential debate?

She should be drumming up the tranny vote...

The expression of the guy in the corner makes the photo gold+++

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I'm with Motown.

Since the election is most likely going to be about jobs most of the Republican field does not look good.
    Pawlenty or Perry have way to many negatives and the rest are not convincing jobs candidates.

Disclaimer: In 1980 I said it was a joke for the Rs to nominate an actor like Reagan and he could never win.

yeah, but I am pretty sure that the Obama camp is going to push the "Romney made all of his millions firing Americans and shipping their jobs overseas" point really, really hard...in fact it might be the only thing they will talk about regarding Romney...they will paint him as the posterboy for why there are no jobs. Also, it doesnt help the fact that Romney looks like the dude that fired your dad, or a dude in an erectile dysfunction ad...he is so disconnected...people don't forget his shit like him saying "hey, Im unemployed also" when he sat down with some actual unemplyed people a little while back...count on that soundbite haunting him.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    DrWu said:
    Obama's approval ratings should scare the daylights out of the GOP. .... Look for the house to change hands and Obama to win in a squeaker (if the economy doesn't fall off a cliff).
    That's how I see things unfolding -- even though it IS far too early. Jobs and the economy will make reelection difficult. But his lowest approval rating is still the highest of any president since Kennedy.
    http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu/data_access/data/presidential_approval.html

With no primary challenger, he can follow the winning trend of unopposed incumbent presidents. While he's already moved to the center, the Republicans will hurt their electability in a partisan primary process.

Since '92, every Democratic presidential candidate has won the same 17 states + DC. That alone is worth 242 electoral votes. If Obama holds those states -- 11 less than he won in 08 -- he only needs to pick up a Florida equivalent.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    fauxteur said:
    DrWu said:
    Obama's approval ratings should scare the daylights out of the GOP. .... Look for the house to change hands and Obama to win in a squeaker (if the economy doesn't fall off a cliff).
    That's how I see things unfolding -- even though it IS far too early. Jobs and the economy will make reelection difficult. But his lowest approval rating is still the highest of any president since Kennedy.
    http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu/data_access/data/presidential_approval.html

With no primary challenger, he can follow the winning trend of unopposed incumbent presidents. While he's already moved to the center, the Republicans will hurt their electability in a partisan primary process.

Since '92, every Democratic presidential candidate has won the same 17 states + DC. That alone is worth 242 electoral votes. If Obama holds those states -- 11 less than he won in 08 -- he only needs to pick up a Florida equivalent.

On the down side I think it is nearly certain we'll lose the senate. McCaskill and others face some steep challenges.

the thing that scares me is that there might be 2 or 3 supreme court vacancies next term and having some gay-for-jesus right winger making those nominations will keep the shitball to hell rolling and rolling faster...a republican pres will make nominations that make Scalia look like a hippie. We could see some some really scary shit if that happens. The main reason i will never vote for a republican for president.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Was checking this again, found this part about a black president pretty poignant, starts at 5:09.

Bright side on the Senate.
    Arizona senator Kyle is not running for reelection. Gabby Giffords might could maybe run if she continues to improve as fast as it looks like she might be improving. Good chance for her to win despite AZ being generally to the right of Palin.

The straw poll was good news also. With Bauchmann and Paul making strong showings and Romney a weak showing. This could be a drawn out fun and entertaining campaign, not to mention damaging to who ever wins. I'd like to see one of them attack Romney with the you laid people off line.

Ultimately the difference between Romney laying people off and Obama is that it was Romney's job to lay people off and it is Obama's job to get them back to work. Who did a better job?

LaserWolf said:
    Bright side on the Senate.

Ultimately the difference between Romney laying people off and Obama is that it was Romney's job to lay people off and it is Obama's job to get them back to work. Who did a better job?

yeah, but

Romney's job= throwing the suede jacket in the mud puddle

Obama's job=cleaning the suede jacket

one job is ridiculously harder

I'm not taking sides. I am just shedding light on how I think a response on an attack will look.

If Obama is smart he wont (directly) attack any of the R hopefuls. Attacks are for October 2012.

Today the commentators are saying it is now a 3 way race, Bachmann, Perry and Romney.
    I am sorry, Paul came in 2nd less than a percentage point behind Bauchmann. What does he have to do (besides quit talking about the gold standard and Federal Reserve) to be taken seriously?
    They take Bachmann seriously, even though her views on history, science, slavery and homosexuality are way further out from the mainstream than Paul's views on monetary systems.

Here is hoping for a Paul win Nevada, the 4th primary state and good showings in the rest.
    :beer:

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    bachmann is the illest irl troll ever

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just vote for Ron Paul dammit. And if you don't, you are part of the problem.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I'm not taking sides. I am just shedding light on how I think a response on an attack will look.

If Obama is smart he wont (directly) attack any of the R hopefuls. Attacks are for October 2012.

Today the commentators are saying it is now a 3 way race, Bachmann, Perry and Romney.
    I am sorry, Paul came in 2nd less than a percentage point behind Bauchmann. What does he have to do (besides quit talking about the gold standard and Federal Reserve) to be taken seriously?
    They take Bachmann seriously, even though her views on history, science, slavery and homosexuality are way further out from the mainstream than Paul's views on monetary systems.

Here is hoping for a Paul win Nevada, the 4th primary state and good showings in the rest.
    :beer:

I wondered that myself. Not a single mention of Paul in any of the articles I glanced at. I would have thought such a close second place would have gotten a headline or two. Paul needs to wear that SPF-50 hater-block.

illest troll ever

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Ross Perot received 20% of the popular vote in 1992 and then they wouldn't even let him take part in the debates leading up to 1996.