Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Ummm... that was my point.

Got it, but you tried to support it with bad evidence.

Got it. Next time I will use About.com instead of the Bible when arguing about the Bible.
    That way I wont confuse you and force you to use critical thinking.
    Or Krugman. Next time I will quote Krugman since he is indisputable.

The reference I used included multiple citations from the Bible. You only used one.

Then you claimed that yours was the definitive one, which is just completely stupid and wrong.

You claimed that the Bible is clear about something when it is demonstrably not clear.

You seem to confuse yourself 24 hours a day and you're basically the last person on Earth who should be lecturing anyone about critical thinking.

You are not much for subtleties are you?

I'll let you know when you utilize one.

In the movies, this kind of exchange usually leads to romance.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    LaserWolf said:

Not what I said.
    The general election is not about The Democrat Voter against The Republican Voter.
    Good try though.

Here's the deal, none of the GOP nominees would have done or not done the things you're claiming Obama hasn't or has done. The most glaring examples being the Bush tax cuts and lack of securities prosecution. At least Obama can point to a trade off he made for the extension of the BTC, the lowering of the payroll tax. At least Obama can point to the attempt at securities law reform (Dodd-Frank). Let's not forget that every GOP candidate wants to repeal D-F.

So, whatcu talmbout, Willis?

I am talking about who will stay home, who will turn out and most importantly the swing voters who decide elections.

You can sit back all confident and think Obama has this locked up because everyone naturally sees things just like you. Or you can take a detached realistic historical view.

My bad. I must have misunderstood when you said "What about the Dem voter?" I thought you meant Dem voters, and weren't including swing voters in that description. Why do you think Dem voters will stay home? There's nothing to supprt that claim. 2012 is a very important election. Maybe, you don't agree?

You can sit back and act lack you're taking a detached realistic historical view, because everyone naturally should see things just like you, but it seems to me that you're all confident that Obama will lose. However, you've pointed to nothing of any substance to back that position up. Also, the weakness of the GOP field further supports the idea that Obama will win. Rubio can't save them, even if he is the VP nominee. Which, by the way, there's really no reason to think he will be. McCain thought Palin would shoo-in it for him, too, with the GOP extremists. The realistic, historical view is that it didn't work and he lost, big time. I can sit back and be all confident in that.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. People will read what they want to read.

A while back Luck posted his reasons why Obama broke his heart.
    If you missed it you should try to find it, great post.
    If his post doesn't convince you, look at the poll numbers. It is no secret that many of his supporters are disappointed.

Out here in the PNW the Obama interior dept is continuing the anti-environment policies of the Bush administrations. I'm not talking law, I am talking policies.
    I have many friends who are teachers. They are very upset that the Obama Education Dept is trying to corporatize education. Much worse than Bush.
    Treasury and economic advisers? Can you say Crony Capitalism?
    Foreign Policy? Expanding wars, assassinating American citizens, CIA using phony vaccination programs, torture of Bradley Manning, is this what you wanted when you voted for him?

I really don't want to start Obama bashing and I don't know why you are asking me to. Did you really not know any of this?

I am not confident Obama will lose.
    What I am afraid of is people not taking the possibility seriously because they think the GOP candidates are a joke. I have seen many jokes in my life, Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Bush, they were not funny.

I've seen many jokes in my life, too, and I've added you to the list. The "Obama is as bad as Bush" meme is the sole preserve of demented wackaloons. Hop on the Ron Paul Express and enjoy the wacky ride.

Typical Frankie Metzler post.
    Insult.
    False accusation.
    Insult.
    Mention Ron Paul for no reason.
    Insult.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:

Typical Frankie Metzler post.
    Insult.
    False accusation.
    Insult.
    Mention Ron Paul for no reason.
    Insult.

Stop whining. It's unmanly.

I see what you did there

False accusation
    Insult
    No mention of Ron Paul

Very shrewd!

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Looks like LazerWolf's knight in shining armor has a problem with the truth....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/marco-rubios-compelling-family-story-embellishes-facts-documents-show/2011/10/20/gIQAaVHD1L_story.html?hpid=z3

During his rise to political prominence, Sen. Marco Rubio frequently repeated a compelling version of his family???s history that had special resonance in South Florida. He was the ???son of exiles,??? he told audiences, Cuban Americans forced off their beloved island after ???a thug,??? Fidel Castro, took power.

But a review of documents ??? including naturalization papers and other official records ??? reveals that the Florida Republican???s account embellishes the facts. The documents show that Rubio???s parents came to the United States and were admitted for permanent residence more than two-and-a-halfyears before Castro???s forces overthrew the Cuban government and took power on New Year???s Day 1959.

i like how the WaPo is still being polite to this guy. "Embellishes the facts". It's a bald faced lie.

Bon Vivant said:
    Looks like LazerWolf's knight in shining armor has a problem with the truth....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/marco-rubios-compelling-family-story-embellishes-facts-documents-show/2011/10/20/gIQAaVHD1L_story.html?hpid=z3

During his rise to political prominence, Sen. Marco Rubio frequently repeated a compelling version of his family???s history that had special resonance in South Florida. He was the ???son of exiles,??? he told audiences, Cuban Americans forced off their beloved island after ???a thug,??? Fidel Castro, took power.

But a review of documents ??? including naturalization papers and other official records ??? reveals that the Florida Republican???s account embellishes the facts. The documents show that Rubio???s parents came to the United States and were admitted for permanent residence more than two-and-a-halfyears before Castro???s forces overthrew the Cuban government and took power on New Year???s Day 1959.

i like how the WaPo is still being polite to this guy. "Embellishes the facts". It's a bald faced lie.

Dude, I am sorry I pissed you off by doing an honest analysis of what in my opinion could be a difficult campaign for Obama.
    I am not going to pretend that Obama is perfect and that his opponents don't have a chance.

Rubio is not my knight in shinning army. I never said anything close to that. So shut the fuck up.

History tells usthat the Cuban revolution started in 1953.
    Many Cubans fled the fighting (left with their loot) long before the day the revolution ended.
    I doubt if the South Florida Cuban community has a problem with those people calling themselves exiles or calling Castro a thug.

You and I are free to disagree, but it is far from a bald faced lie.

I am not trying to defend Rubio here. Or Cuban expats. But your post is a little over the top.
    Have I made it clear that Rubio is not my knight in shinning armor? I am just trying to state the facts as I see them.

FrankieMeltzer said:
    Bon Vivant said:

One of the funniest myths in American politics is that the Post is a left-wing newspaper. I suppose it's because of the Watergate legacy, but their editorial bent is right out of Joe Lieberman's right-of-center ass.

What's funnier is people who call the NYT liberal.

I have heard Rush Limbaugh do this to great effect. He will be reading something that proves his point, and keep saying "and this is from the LIBERAL NEW YORK TIMES". In reality he is reading a Kristoff, Friedman or Brooks column. Or an unsigned editorial. He does the same thing with the post.

LaserWolf said:

Dude, I am sorry I pissed you off by doing an honest analysis of what in my opinion could be a difficult campaign for Obama.
    I am not going to pretend that Obama is perfect and that his opponents don't have a chance.

Rubio is not my knight in shinning army. I never said anything close to that. So shut the fuck up.

History tells usthat the Cuban revolution started in 1953.
    Many Cubans fled the fighting (left with their loot) long before the day the revolution ended.
    I doubt if the South Florida Cuban community has a problem with those people calling themselves exiles or calling Castro a thug.

You and I are free to disagree, but it is far from a bald faced lie.

I am not trying to defend Rubio here. Or Cuban expats. But your post is a little over the top.

Have I made it clear that Rubio is not my knight in shinning armor? I am just trying to state the facts as I see them.

Haha! Don't flatter yourself, LW. I don't get emotional over political threads. You do, apparently. Now I know.

I understand that it can be frustrating when someone you think highly of turns out to be something totally different; in this case a liar. But don't take that out on the person pointing out the lie. I can tell that this bothers you, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to speak for the entire South Florida Cuban community regarding their feelings about lying about the reasons for leaving Cuba. We'll see what they say.

And yes, we disagree. I believe when a person tells people that his parents left Cuba to escape Castro, while at the same time knowing that they actually left 2 years prior to Castro coming into power in Cuba, and was actually in exile in Mexico, is a bald faced lie. You don't. Gotcha

What's really over the top is you defending a guy caught in a lie, then saying you're not defending him, whilst getting emo on me. Sorry your Rubio bubble got burst, mang, but give me a break.

FrankieMeltzer said:
    Bon Vivant said:

One of the funniest myths in American politics is that the Post is a left-wing newspaper. I suppose it's because of the Watergate legacy, but their editorial bent is right out of Joe Lieberman's right-of-center ass.

No doubt. They were one of the loudest bangers of wardrums for Iraq.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    A bit of a late reply, but better late than never...

FrankieMeltzer said:
    Krugman did a consult with Enron for 4 days. Referring to him as a "former Enron adviser" makes you look like a clown with really big and yellow clown shoes.

Yeah, right. He kept shilling for the corrupt company at Fortune magazine & NYTimes (presumably to inflate his stock that almost always comes with a job like that).

FrankieMeltzer said:
    And this "discredited" Keynesian must be all broken up by the huge dishonor he received from the Nobel Committee.

He received his nobel for his work on international trade. It might be well deserved, i don't know. I've never read it. I doubt it though, seeing as he's a devout neoliberal (i.e. he supports NAFTA, WTO, Ex-Im Bank, repeal of Glass-Steagall, bailouts and all sorts of other corporate welfare). One thing is for sure though: trade theory has nothing to do with Keynesian macroeconomics.

FrankieMeltzer said:
    And the housing bubble was well in place at the beginning of the last decade. No one had to call for its creation.

If that was true, why would he have felt the need to call for it:

The basic point is that the recession of 2001 wasn't a typical postwar slump, brought on when an inflation-fighting Fed raises interest rates and easily ended by a snapback in housing and consumer spending when the Fed brings rates back down again. This was a prewar-style recession, a morning after brought on by irrational exuberance. To fight this recession the Fed needs more than a snapback; it needs soaring household spending to offset moribund business investment. And to do that, as Paul McCulley of Pimco put it, Alan Greenspan needs to create a housing bubble to replace the Nasdaq bubble.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/02/opinion/dubya-s-double-dip.html

Bon Vivant said:

I understand that it can be frustrating when someone you think highly of turns out to be something totally different; in this case a liar.

I used to think highly of you. No longer. For the reasons you stated.

LaserWolf said:
    Bon Vivant said:

I understand that it can be frustrating when someone you think highly of turns out to be something totally different; in this case a liar.

I used to think highly of you. No longer. For the reasons you stated.

Haha! Am I lying? Riiiiiggghhhhhtttt.

Ok. You no longer think highly of me because Mark Rubio is liar and not the person you thought he was, and I don't get emotional on political threads, while you do,at least you are right now.

I can live with that.

I still have no opinion of you. Now, some of your opinions I agree with, some I don't. But you,as a person or internet persona? No opinion at all.

Continue being emo, LW.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Just looking over Perry's tax plan.

Still think he's got a shot Rich?

DOR said:

Dude could propose a 50% flat tax and he'd still have a better chance of getting the R nomination than Ron Paul.

Did you read the part about his 20% flat tax being "voluntary" as if people will voluntarily chose the tax plan where they pay the higher tax rate.

We don't call him "Rick with a P" down here for no reason.

FrankieMeltzer said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DOR said:

Dude could propose a 50% flat tax and he'd still have a better chance of getting the R nomination than Ron Paul.

Did you read the part about his 20% flat tax being "voluntary" as if people will voluntarily chose the tax plan where they pay the higher tax rate.

We don't call him "Rick with a P" down here for no reason.

And yet he's never lost an election. Someone down there must like PRick.

It's as simple as not having a decent opponent.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    It's very frustrating to see Perry flirt with birtherism lately. This guy should be able to destroy Romney what with the former governor's Obama like health plan and pro-choice record but Perry keeps putting his own head up his ass.

TheKindCromang said:
    :face_melt:

Is Perry done?

This whole video is super bizarre.

I saw my first Romneysaysstupidthings story in the press yesterday. Typically the press stories on him are about how he is smooth and steady.

Cain has a sex scandal now.

Perry aint ready for prime time.

The more I see of these guys the better I feel about Obama's chances.
    Now if he can just bring unemployment down a few points he should be safe.

Did I say this before? My dream is no R winner when they get to the convention. Back room deals at the convention pick someone who didn't compete in the primary. That's how they did things 70+ years ago. So they pick Christie, or Ryan or some other loser as a sacrificial lamb.

• Herman Cain is now "The Republican Front Runner." who woulda thunk it?

TheKindCromang said:
    Herman Cain is now "The Republican Front Runner." who woulda thunk it?

And flaming out with a sex scandal and finance scandal.

Seems the OWS movement, with it's emphasis on corporate greed, is going to make it hard for Romney and Cain.

Romney is "a successful business man who knows how to create jobs". He is also a corporate raider who got rich firing people.

Cain was CEO of Godfathers Pizza. "a successful business man who knows how to create jobs".
    Yeah, creating minimum wage jobs by exploiting ethnic stereotypes has made him fabulously wealthy.

Perry is done.

DOR said:
    Perry is done.

Kaboom!!!

The funniest part is that he was asked about immigration.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I hadn't heard perry talk until tonight, and only about ten minutes before that tremendous moment.
    The dude is real?
    I'd like to say that bed-shitting immediately eliminates him, but it'll probably endear him to the people who are into this junk.
    That whole stage was some embarrassing stuff.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    b/w

Probably should keep that first agency, genius,

• LaserWolf said:

Cain was CEO of Godfathers Pizza. "a successful business man who knows how to create jobs".
    Yeah, creating minimum wage jobs by exploiting ethnic stereotypes has made him fabulously wealthy.

DOR said:
    Perry is done.

Rockadelic said:
    Tonight our Governor Rick Perry will either make or break his campaign.

There is a better than zero chance he will come across like a complete babbling idiot that is in way over his head.

Took him about 60 days to get there.

• They have a sense of humor about the gaff:

http://www.rickperry.org/what-part-of-the-federal-government-would-you-like-to-forget-about-the-most/

I really hope he is done, though. Both in the Presidential race and in Texas politics.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    wasn't really sure where else to post this so...