Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    LaserWolf said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    He'll go indie where he belongs.

I would like to see that too.

All Dems should want to see this.

If you put a gun to my head right now and made me guess who our next president will be I'd definitely say his initials will be RP.

Most independents will need a gun put to their head in order to vote for RP in the general election.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    tripledouble said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I read today that New York's unemployment rate is lower than Texas', and Massachusetts' is lower than that - even WITH "job killing" universal health care.

Amazingly, Mitt Romney won't be running on that success story.

KRUGMAN FOR PRESIDENT!!

Krugman wouldn't want the job.

He's right about the positive effects a large infrastructure/jobs program would have on the economy, though.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    tripledouble said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I read today that New York's unemployment rate is lower than Texas', and Massachusetts' is lower than that - even WITH "job killing" universal health care.

KRUGMAN FOR PRESIDENT!!

He's right about the positive effects a large infrastructure/jobs program would have on the economy, though.
    yeah dogs lets go start bridge to nowhere 2.0

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Bridge to nowhere beats war to nowhere.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    uhhhhhh and dude is advocating for both
    government should just make it rain and everything will eventually work out, right?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Not just any war: a world war.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Not just any war: a world war.

What's the criteria? The ME is now referred to as MENA.

FrankieMeltzer said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    tripledouble said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

KRUGMAN FOR PRESIDENT!!

Yes.

Really.

I'm sure you have a better suggestion, though. Something about a return to the shiny rock standard, maybe? Or really intense naked chanting? I'm sure you're not just a mindless skeptic with no alternative suggestion to offer.

That would never happen.

Tell us again why you keep getting banned.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    tripledouble said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

KRUGMAN FOR PRESIDENT!!

Yes.

Really.

I'm sure you have a better suggestion, though. Something about a return to the shiny rock standard, maybe? Or really intense naked chanting? I'm sure you're not just a mindless skeptic with no alternative suggestion to offer.

That would never happen.

I guess because I keep asking for the never-offered and never-will-be-offered better suggestion.

Which, of course, has still not been offered.

And never will be.

I hear it will finally be rolled out in Hipster Heaven during the next Harmonic Convergence.
    World War

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    tripledouble said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

KRUGMAN FOR PRESIDENT!!

Yes.

Really.

That would never happen.

no I have no "better" suggestion at all.

it just struck me as funny as hell when you so solemnly declared your agreement with the Nobel laureate economist.

as if you know what the fuck it is you're talmbout.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    tripledouble said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

KRUGMAN FOR PRESIDENT!!

Yes.

Really.

That would never happen.

I guess because I keep asking for the never-offered and never-will-be-offered better suggestion.

Which, of course, has still not been offered.

And never will be.

I hear it will finally be rolled out in Hipster Heaven during the next Harmonic Convergence.
    yeah dogs its everyone else not you ok bro

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    Horseleech said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    Obama looks like a safe bet for '12.

I don't think this AT ALL

I don't either.

If the GOP can come up with somebody who isn't a nutjob/won't implode on the national stage, I think Obama is toast.

They aren't doing a good job with that so far, though.

What are they going to do? Reanimate Reagan?

Clinton was toast at this point in '95 by most conventional wisdom, but the Republicans didn't have a candidate with a pulse.

This year most of their candidates don't have brains and the "frontrunner" doesn't have a pulse. Someone has to explain to me which one of these losers catches on fire and how, because I'm not seeing it.

And if they somehow DO come up with a non-nutjob candidate there will be a 3rd party teabagger candidate (Hello, Sarah?) which would let Obama win more electoral votes than he did in '08.

You're missing the point. If the economy is as bad as it is now come November, the public will blame Obama. That's why he looks like he is going down. As long as the Republicans have a half way decent candidate, the economy will do all the work for them.

Ronald Reagan and George Bush both looked like terrible candidates when they were nominated.
    Reagan was old and bat shit crazy, likely to start a nuclear war, had talked about his belief that Armageddon was coming soon.

Bush had used his privilege to dodge the draft, had been a drug user and an alcoholic and knew less about foreign affairs than a 7th grader.

The current field is no worse.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Presidents are appointed.

This is why the Democrats spend so much time out of office.

LaserWolf said:
    Ronald Reagan and George Bush both looked like terrible candidates when they were nominated.
    Reagan was old and bat shit crazy, likely to start a nuclear war, had talked about his belief that Armageddon was coming soon.

Bush had used his privilege to dodge the draft, had been a drug user and an alcoholic and knew less about foreign affairs than a 7th grader.

The current field is no worse.

Both Gipper and W were able to move to the center after the nomination process. Dudes (and Bachmann) in this go-around are out to sea to the right, and it's going to get worse (or better if you like what they're saying). The winner will have a hard time coming back to land, especially since Obama is no liberal. POTUS built a house in the center, and is comfortable going moderate right from time to time (see Libya, upping the drone game, and Medicare cuts in the AHCA).

The GOP nominee will hard time winning the general election.

motown67 said:

You're missing the point. If the economy is as bad as it is now come November, the public will blame Obama.

Not necessarily. Obama has a good argument that the GOP has obstructed him at every step, that they have no new ideas to fix the economy, and those old haven't worked.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:

A good part of the country, including a percentage of the Independents that voted for Obama, would prefer this over what they have now.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    o hay

"Returning to the brainlessness that dumped the country into the pit in the first place would be incredibly stupid."

The problem with all these arguments is that they assume that the electorate is not incredibly stupid.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

The problem with all these arguments is that they assume that the electorate has anything to do with it.

There, fixed

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    motown67 said:

You're missing the point. If the economy is as bad as it is now come November, the public will blame Obama.

Not necessarily. Obama has a good argument that the GOP has obstructed him at every step, that they have no new ideas to fix the economy, and those old haven't worked.

Obama wants to raise your taxes during a recession. He's then going to turn around and spend all that money on an already huge deficit that your children will have to pay for. Are you better off now than when Obama was elected?

Those are basic Republican arguments. Every single candidate is likely to bring these up if they win the nomination. Do you really think people are feeling that the economy is going well? Who are they going to blame for that? Historically it's been the president.

• motown67 said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    motown67 said:

Obama wants to raise your taxes during a recession. He's then going to turn around and spend all that money on an already huge deficit that your children will have to pay for. Are you better off now than when Obama was elected?

Those are basic Republican arguments. Every single candidate is likely to bring these up if they win the nomination. Do you really think people are feeling that the economy is going well? Who are they going to blame for that? Historically it's been the president.

By the time the election comes, Obama will have rolled out a huge jobs program (probably based on stuff like roads and bridges and energy efficiency) and a related economic plan, both of which will require spending. This will enable him to say, do you want more jobs? do you want a better life? The only thing standing in your way is the GOP who refuses to tax the millionaires and billionaires in order to generate revenue to pay for these programs.

The GOP will try to argue that taxing the "job creators" will kill jobs...but Obama's plan is going to be largely based on governtment spending (roads and bridges type stuff), which is unrelated.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    motown67 said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    motown67 said:

By the time the election comes, Obama will have rolled out a huge jobs program (probably based on stuff like roads and bridges and energy efficiency) and a related economic plan, both of which will require spending. This will enable him to say, do you want more jobs? do you want a better life? The only thing standing in your way is the GOP who refuses to tax the millionaires and billionaires in order to generate revenue to pay for these programs.

The GOP will try to argue that taxing the "job creators" will kill jobs...but Obama's plan is going to be largely based on governtment spending (roads and bridges type stuff), which is unrelated.

This is optimistic......the Reps will counter with the following......you already spent $275 billion....how many jobs did you create and at what cost per job?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The $787 billion economic stimulus package was approved by Congress in February, 2009. The plan was to jumpstart economic growth, and save between 900,000-2.3 million jobs. The package allocated funds as follows:
    $288 billion in tax cuts.
    $224 billion in extended unemployment benefits, education and health care.
    $275 billion for job creation using federal contracts, grants and loans.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:

keithvanhorn said:

What a fantasy. You should hear yourself. Really, Obama is going to "roll out" a huge jobs program putting some three and half million people back to work ... fixing "roads and bridges".

Note to KVH: Franklin Roosevelt is dead this isn't no PWA.

• Rockadelic said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    motown67 said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    motown67 said:

This is optimistic......the Reps will counter with the following......you already spent $275 billion....how many jobs did you create and at what cost per job?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The $787 billion economic stimulus package was approved by Congress in February, 2009. The plan was to jumpstart economic growth, and save between 900,000-2.3 million jobs. The package allocated funds as follows:
    $288 billion in tax cuts.
    $224 billion in extended unemployment benefits, education and health care.
    $275 billion for job creation using federal contracts, grants and loans.

Not all of the money has been spent yet and the money spent on entitlements and tax cuts dwarfs the amounts spent on job creation.

http://www.recovery.gov/Transparency/fundingoverview/Pages/fundingbreakdown.aspx

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    What has the GOP done to help with jobs? Obviously the last 10 years of tax cutting and deregulation hasn't done the trick, so what's the next move Saba? More tax cuts? More deregulation?

It's totally fair to say that people will blame the economy on Obama, and I don't think anything's in the bag, but if he makes a big push for a jobs program, and get's blocked again by a tea party temper tantrum, I think he looks ok against either the automatron from Massachusetts or saggy George Bush..

Unherd said:
    More tax cuts! More deregulation!

fixed