Republican Presidential Debate last night

Comments

• LaserWolf said:

Here is hoping for a Paul win Nevada, the 4th primary state and good showings in the rest.
    :beer:

other than for his foreign policy, why do people on here like paul?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Paul not being a lying sack of shit should be enough for anyone, no?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The Republicans choosing Ron Paul as their candidate would be like the NFL players union choosing Jerry Jones as their spokesperson.

They hate him, he doesn't represent their "agenda" and there is no way they would let him be their candidate.

He'll go indie where he belongs.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    And yet his poll numbers are nearly as good as anyone not named Romney and better than most of the pack. He finished less than a percentage point behind the winner in the straw poll the other day.
    Perhaps their agenda is not what their voters want.

keithvanhorn said:
    LaserWolf said:

Here is hoping for a Paul win Nevada, the 4th primary state and good showings in the rest.

To be clear I do not like Paul. Nor do I like his foreign policy. I am not an isolationist.

I do think he is fun to listen to.
    I like that he is a monkey wrench in the Republican machine.
    As HC says, he is not a lying sack of shit.

I like a lot of his libertarian views on drug laws, homosexuality and US militarism.

HarveyCanal said:

I would like to see that too.

LaserWolf said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I would like to see that too.

All Dems should want to see this.

If you put a gun to my head right now and made me guess who our next president will be I'd definitely say his initials will be RP.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    LaserWolf said:

I like him for his racist newsletters.

barjesus said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    LaserWolf said:

I like him for his racist newsletters.

And don't you hate that Wyclef caused the Haitian earthquake?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i used to hatt on the racist newsletter thing but i think it was proven to be a rogue staffeur

Brian said:
    i used to hatt on the racist newsletter thing but i think it was proven to be a rogue staffeur

I hear you, but he let it go out with his name on it.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Ron Paul raised Rand Paul who is one of the worst people to ever be elected. He named him after Ayn Rand FFS.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    dudes should be reviewing shit that goes out in their name no doubt but no one is reviewing their newsletters before they go out. they have a staff they're supposed to trust to create them with some input from the legislator. that said, some minor shit like that makes him look like a god damn saint compared to the rest of the candidates.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    initials will be RP.

My prediction is that Rick Perry will last slightly longer than Mitch Daniels and Donald Trump and the other supposed saviors of the Republican party.
    I think MB and MR will see him as a party pooper and dig into hard.

Grandfather said:
    Ron Paul raised Rand Paul who is one of the worst people to ever be elected. He named him after Ayn Rand FFS.

Amen!!!

What does your name mean this time.
    I am sure I should know, but I can't figure it out.
    Is it boxing related?

LaserWolf said:
    My prediction is that Rick Perry will last slightly longer than Mitch Daniels and Donald Trump and the other supposed saviors of the Republican party.
    I think MB and MR will see him as a party pooper and dig into hard.

There are very few politicians that I despise more than Rick Perry. I've stood next to him and he just oozes sleaze and smugness. Some of the things he's done and/or tried to do here in Texas are possibly criminal(see Gardasil). Some of the stories that have flowed in Austin about him are mind boggling and if even half of them are true this dude is scum of the earth.

That being said....

I just came back from a road trip through Arkansas, Oklahoma and Missouri. These people wouldn't vote for either Bachmann or Romney. When folks found out I was from Texas they wanted to talk about Perry...they seem to love him. I tried telling them he was a pretty face and not much more but they didn't buy it. In my estimation these kind of folks represent a fairly big chunk of the country. (Yeah, I know, they're dumb hillbillies....their votes still count as much as yours).

The very sad truth is that he's good looking, has good hair, has a "tough" persona and is a "good christian"...those things alone go a long way in our society. Unless the R's come up with someone besides MB or MR I'm afraid he'll get the nod.

If there was a candidate that had Perry's physical characteristics and Ron Paul's philosophy the Republicans would have no choice but to nominate them.

Ron Paul comes across like the Junior High substitute teacher that got beat up after school....that's not gonna cut it for the average conservative.

IMO

• keithvanhorn said:
    Obama looks like a safe bet for '12.

I don't think this AT ALL

• Grandfather said:

FYI - That last part isn't true. His name is Randall.

B/W

He's a nutball, moreso than his old man, who is also a nutball.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    keithvanhorn said:

I missed where KVH said that.
    I agree with him Obama looks like a safe bet for '12... IF UNEMPLOYMENT FALLS BELOW 6%.

• FrankieMeltzer said:

Perry is 95% shit, and comes across as a dumber and nastier version of Dumbya. If something like that can get elected just 4 years after the last dumbass far-right fake cowboy left in disgrace this country deserves what happens to it.

The MOR American response to the economic catastrophe has been a giant temper tantrum. They want their daddy back.

I read today that New York's unemployment rate is lower than Texas', and Massachusetts' is lower than that - even WITH "job killing" universal health care.

Amazingly, Mitt Romney won't be running on that success story.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    I can't see Perry winning over swing state suburbanites. But Romney-Perry could be a strong ticket.

Rockadelic said:

I'm looking forward to a GOP debate where the candidates get a chance to ask each other questions, and Mitt asks Perry what his favorite toothpaste is.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    keithvanhorn said:

I don't either.

If the GOP can come up with somebody who isn't a nutjob/won't implode on the national stage, I think Obama is toast.

They aren't doing a good job with that so far, though.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:

I read today that New York's unemployment rate is lower than Texas', and Massachusetts' is lower than that - even WITH "job killing" universal health care.

KRUGMAN FOR PRESIDENT!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

KRUGMAN FOR PRESIDENT!!
    man fuck that shit

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/oh-what-a-lovely-war/

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    I think Paul's isolationist beliefs would be a problem for many GOP voters in most years. Quite possibly not in 2012, though.

It's odd that GOP would have such an issue with isolationism. Believe in it or not. The US had a fairly successful time with it for most of their history.

The idea that GOP'ers would have a harder time with this, than say voting for a candidate who has talked about possible secession seems mind blowing.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Brian said:
    Told ya we need another world war. Nobel Prize winning economists agree.