NBA PLAYOFFS BATCHES!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    motown67 said:
    I still like Westbrook. You have to understand that the guy never played point guard before and is still going through that conversion from scorer to having to run a team. Yes he makes plenty of boneheaded plays, but the guy is still learning. I would give him up to 5 years total to grow into the position. This is only his sophmore season. If by then he's still playing like now, then I'm all for the Allen Iversion v.20, until them I'm willing to give him some slack.

i refuse to cut slack for dudes getting paid millions of dollars to learn their job.

Thats kinda extreme IMO.

Dudes play a certain way from Junior high thru the Draft and then are asked to switch it up in the pros.
    Its done all the time.

What makes Westbrook look bad is that he has Highest PPG player in the entire L next to him and he still continues to look for his own shot.

Iverson came to a a Philly team that had a very good Jerry Stackhouse at the 2 guard.
    Iverson was a better scorer than Westbrook.

My buddy said that if shit doesnt go right, this situation could end up like Marbury and Garnett where Westbrook cant wrap his head around being Robin to Durants Batman.

i don't think it's harsh at all. we're not putting the bucket up to 13 feet, we're asking you to distribute the ball.

Shoot first mentality is hard to change, especially when your talented enough to blow by most of the comp.
    Westbrook can distribute but he isnt a natural like LeBron or Kidd. Its like asking Kyle Korver to become John Stockton.

How can a dude switch up his game in the Conference finals after being successful this deep in?

I dont think its any easier for a professional than it is for a high school student.

I cant name any College shooting guards that converted to PG( in the NBA) and were extra successful.
    Steve Smith comes to mind but he was never asked to become strictly a passer. Plus he did both anyway and wasnt a PG.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The Warriors' Stephen Curry is going through the same conversion right now.

And vintageinfants you have no idea how much of a change it is to have the ball in your hands all the time, to see what the defense is doing, know the tendencies of your teammates, when to pass, when to take your own shot, etc. For example, if you're a 2-guard when your team gets a rebound you usually run the wings waiting to get delivered the ball. If you're the point you usually drive down the middle so you have all the passing lanes open. If you've bee playing 2-guard since elementary school, suddenly changing years of habit of where you run on a break is hard to do. It's a dramatic change that very few have been able to do.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    i DO have an idea what it is like because i did it, just in reverse (pazue), and just not at the professional level. i went from pg to the 2 with the swiftness, but again, obviously, not at the professional level. i understand that it is difficult, and its going to be hard to overhaul your mental idea of the game, but i will NEVER cut a professional athlete slack. i do my job, they need to do theirs.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    non-ballers revealed.

the issue isn't whether westbrook can transform himself into a play maker but whether he knows how to play unselfishly.

you don't have to be stockton or magic to know that durant should get a touch close to every possession.

and batmon - stackhouse was never a very good player. ai was the best player on that team as a rookie.

keithvanhorn said:
    non-ballers revealed.

the issue isn't whether westbrook can transform himself into a play maker but whether he knows how to play unselfishly.

you don't have to be stockton or magic to know that durant should get a touch close to every possession.

and batmon - stackhouse was never a very good player. ai was the best player on that team as a rookie.

Yeah that why i brought up iverson becuase stackhouse wasnt a durant which allowed him to hink about his shot first.

Westbrrok should be keepin the defense honest yet feeding the scoring champ.

Isiah didnt have to defer to Dumars because he was better and still got the team involved.

Dudes can have great years with the right PG.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    non-ballers revealed.

stackhouse was never a very good player.

Really.....a guy who averaged 29.8 points a game in an NBA season is not a very good player.

Averaged 20 points or more for 5 seasons.

This is better than 90% of the players who have ever played in the NBA...and he was never a very good player?

Wow.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    non-ballers revealed.

Really.....a guy who averaged 29.8 points a game in an NBA season is not a very good player.

This is better than 90% of the players who have ever played in the NBA...and he was never a very good player?

Wow.

Pfft. There is no way Stackhouse was better than Keith Van Horn the "baller" or even KeithVanHorn the "soulstrut baller".

Rockadelic said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    non-ballers revealed.

Wow.

smh

• Options
    batmon said:
    I cant name any College shooting guards that converted to PG( in the NBA) and were extra successful.
    Steve Smith comes to mind but he was never asked to become strictly a passer. Plus he did both anyway and wasnt a PG.

Dennis Johnson was a SG in college and for the start of his career in Seattle, then got two rings as the Boston PG. Of course a PG on a team with Larry Bird was a unique situation.

oof

okc needs a low post threat and a veteran backcourt player to calm down/tutor Westbrook.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I think Mavs should get past OKC. Their defense is back and they're more versatile than the Thunder on offense.

Easy call.

deleted.

Some folks need to re-think their stance on Messrs Kidd and Stevenson. One has 5:1 turnover ratio in the series and one plays great D.

I have to sigh after last night's game. The calls were horribly lopsided.

Excited for Heat/Bulls to resume tonight. Another thing the NBA gets wrong: do we really need 4 days in between one series while another goes every two days.

Perkins = Milk Carton

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Thunder are too young. They had some horrible shot selection at the end of the 4th and couldn't or didn't run any plays. Westbrook just can't get it together as a point guard. If Brooks was more innovative they would get a point forward and just let Durant and Westbrook be scorerers. I don't think he's that kind of coach though.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    bosh played his role

pcmr said:
    bosh played his role

the bulls need to transition more. rose is getting swallowed in the half court.

keithvanhorn said:
    pcmr said:
    bosh played his role

Shouldnt his athleticism overcome the Miami defense?

batmon said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    pcmr said:
    bosh played his role

Shouldnt his athleticism overcome the Miami defense?

they aren't exploiting it. miami isn't dallas btw; they have plenty of athletes.

Dallas is done, sorry. experience is over rated, ask the lakers.
    in 2011, athleticism > smarts.[/
    quote]

keithvanhorn said:

dallas is done, sorry. experience is over rated, ask the lakers.

westbrook must have had words with brooks. there is no way he deserved to be out the whole quarter. look for him to drop 30 next game or dish out a ton of assists.

in 2011, athleticism > smarts.

WORD, DOG?????????????

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

fusk yeah.

that was awesome.

big brass ones this year.

• Options
    GenePontecorvo said:

fusk yeah.

that was awesome.

FIRST ORGASM, HUH?

This team got that extra something previous teams didn't.

Poise.

NomoreGarciaparra said:
    GenePontecorvo said:

fusk yeah.

that was awesome.

FIRST ORGASM, HUH?

u can have that. i'll give you a kidd-like dish.

That was a very impressive win.

Ibaka is gonna be a threat in the future.

I am officially letting go of DORK. Dude is bananas.

Kidd is still productive. Big clutch deflection on Durant.

Props to Collison.

Marion is the silent hero of this series.

• Options
    GenePontecorvo said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    GenePontecorvo said:

fusk yeah.

that was awesome.

FIRST ORGASM, HUH?

u can have that. i'll give you a kidd-like dish.

I don't need it. I've seen my teams win so many championships I've lost count. I know you're stuck at 1.

It gets better, DAWG. Don't be so insecure.