Overrated Hip-Hop

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Dr Octagon - Wasn't that into it when I bought it. Gave it a few chances and then sold it. About 1 year later all my rocker friends started asking "Do you know about Dr Octogon?"

Ice Cube is just bad ass! Predator wasn't the greatest follow up to DC, but it had it's moments. Though I will day "It was a good day" was always weak in my opinion. Now that War & Peace was weak. Still... dude has moved into acting and I respect his real world moves.

Madlib is good for what he does, but the people that think he's the illist beat flipper ever have never flipped a beat.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    His entire catalogue of work[/b]

No one's taking the bait huh?,what makes this yout so appealing to the NYC's rap purists.His lyrics aren't that great,and his voice is so lethargic,it puts me to sleep.What am i missing?School me

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    These are all crazy overrated compared to how good today's hip-hop is, especially the stuff coming out on a lot of indie labels:

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    These are all crazy overrated compared to how good today's hip-hop is, especially the stuff coming out on a lot of indie labels:

Agreed.

You just done did it,you realize this thread will be still getting replys by the middle of next week.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

AGREED. (except for illmatic )

• not sure what yall are saying about the above classics...
    but biggie is far from overrated.

redman is overrated

• These are all crazy overrated compared to how good today's hip-hop is, especially the stuff coming out on a lot of indie labels:

AGREED. (except for illmatic )

You just done did it,you realize this thread will be still getting replys by the middle of next week.

Or maybe they'll figure out I was being sarcastic?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I fucking hate this album.

suck my oil
    yo julio, tell em

"things fall apart" was boring. that shit won a grammy?

Or maybe they'll figure out I was being sarcastic?

Well you just got me,i fell for it

redman is overrated

CRAZY TALK!

redman is overrated

CRAZY TALK!

First two albums were dope.
    Then he fell the fuck off.

redman is overrated

CRAZY TALK!

Like so many do.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    i love "muddy waters".. and I was down since time 4 sum akshun

not sure what yall are saying about the above classics...

redman is overrated

I don't know Redman is pretty ILL, but I wasn't into his last LP that much except for the Adam F track.

I agree with the Source" when Methodman and Redman get together it's just unfair to other MC's".

But that was a few years ago, not sure what their most recent stuff is like.

not sure what yall are saying about the above classics...

redman is overrated

CRAZY TALK!

Here's where it gets interesting.......are you shure you think Redman fell of or did you just not like the backing music not being as hard? I thought Doc's the Name was still pretty good. I Don't Kare is really good IMO. But when Malpractice came out his lyrics were OK but I just couldn't stand those sythstyle beats anymore. I realize there are still some samples, but you know what I'm saying.

A lot of people said Tribe Called Quest fell off with Beats Rhymes and Life, but the only thing different about that record was that the endless jazz samples were gone and replaced with a more sparce music style that just didn't work for some people. Lyrically they still had it going.

I think this is the case for a lot of rappers. They can still flow alright, but if the beats aren't good I'm not listening.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    And I tell you how was over rated:

HIJACK[/b]

Not in America but in Europe I could catch a bad one for such sacrilege.

HIJACK - THE TERRORIST GROUP

???and the epitome of sloppy P.E.-biting hyped-up british hiphop from the early nineties. Silver Bullet, Overlord X and all them were weak back then and still sound weak.

The Blockhead thread got me thinking of a guy I think is seriously overrated:

His voice and delivery gets me climbing the walls. Too bad, 'cause I like a lot of the beats on his albums. I just can't dig it with him on top (no ayo).

in the worst way.

Ja Rule

Sugarhill Gang

Eric B but not Rakim

Black Eyed Peas!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even think they are hip hop anymore. but some silly blockhead will ask for them by saying "can you play some hip hop." When you've been playing real hip hop all night.

"Can you play some hip hop you know like Britney Spears?"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Black Eyed Peas!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even think they are hip hop anymore. but some silly blockhead will ask for them by saying "can you play some hip hop." When you've been playing real hip hop all night.

I don't think they were ever rated by anyone whose opinion mattered.

I don't think they were ever rated by anyone whose opinion mattered.

Yea, I think it falls into that file for shure.

I will say when they frist came out and I say them on the smoking grooves tour I was pretty impressed. They music/rapping didn't really blow me away but, the rapping with a live band while break danceing was cool. But now with the new girl they are just a dance pop group like all the rest. Pissy pants and all!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Little dudes talking about "I Get Around" was Pac's best record definitely fall into the "Does Not Actually Like Rap" category.

Pretty much anybody that tries to say his first two records are better than his later work is suspect--especially anybody that sweats Strictly..., which is a terrible album.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Stuff that I find overrated -

The Roots - Pick an album. I dig them for about 5 seconds & then go get an EPMD lp off the shelf.

Every Nas tune post Illmatic, except for Day's remix & that recent one of "Made You Look." I figure this guy must have dough - Can't he find someone to sell him a beat?

I like Jay -Z, but I can't believe that this dude is the best known rapper out there. I couldn't stand that little orphan Annie song. His first & last albums are okay. He's on some NLP shit - he keeps saying he's great & then folks just repeat that without thinking. He should write speeches for Republicans.

I can't believe people say that Redman is overrated. What has he done in the last 13 years that is good?

Pete Rock. He made some good music 12 + years ago. That guy fell off longer than he was on.

2Pac. Never made 1 good song. He had charisma, tho.

All Tribe Called Quest post Low End Theory.

The 1st MF Doom lp. Nuff said.

Madlib. It took 5-6 years, but he put out a good album this year (Quas). His is the largest learning curve in the history of rap music.

h

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

that recent remix of "Made You Look."

HEATER!!!!

I like Jay -Z, but I can't believe that this dude is the best known rapper out there.

Sweet co-sign-a-mine.

The 1st MF Doom lp overrared.

You are wrong.

Um, someone would like a word...

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

OK... now, here's the main question about Pac: do you not understand why people like him, or merely think he's a little less dope than people proclaim?

I don't think he's as nice an MC as people proclaim. While his flow was definitely influential. He's kind of clumsy and just not that skilled. Subject matter is kind of one trick pony.

That said, I totally understand why people love him.

Always thought that folks ought to recognize why Pac started out as a dancer for Digital as opposed to spittin' alongside Shock-G... His catalog does absolutely nothin' personally although it's easy to see that the image projected caters to an audience that wants to live vicariously in a James Dean-sorta badass/outlaw manner...

The Dismasters' 12" you've been goin' back and forth on - I remember pickin' it up around '87; I don't recall major noise generated and I think I was checkin' for it b/c of Chuck Chillout's involvement(?)... It's still in my crates close to some 20 years later - it's aged well from my vantage point...

I do agree w/ Haz and the rest of you all that have been citin' Black Thought; the Roots strike me as too academic in their approach: they've studied all the minutiae of hip-hop classics and replicate them seamlessly - however, when it comes to their own original material, there's little spontaneous soul and swing - it just comes off as a rather dry academic journal - little wonder why they're great backin' up Jay-Z @ Madison Square, but utterly unexcitin' on their own turf... All the more power to 'em for rockin' the Phish relentless tourin' steeze though - gotta pay the bills somehow...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Um, someone would like a word...

Major cosign! IMO Jay Z, 2Pac and Kanye are way over rated.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I had this come my way from one of my students last week. "Do you know who the best rapper in the world is? Mystikal." I seriously considered just failing him regardless in every assessment for the rest of the year. I think I need to bring some music to class next week.

I had this come my way from one of my students last week. "Do you know who the best rapper in the world is? Mystikal."