Overrated Hip-Hop

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I found myself sticking to the same half dozen backpacker rap dudes like a Victoria's Secret wedgie

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    SHIT. I can't even read that. Thought?

Even if I did know his name, like I said never heard of him.

not too sure if you should be giving input on this thread.

Dr. Octagon was entertaining and some shit was kinda cool - definately not classic status and I'd like to slap 99% of the people that worship this record due to the fact they've probably never the song Poppa Large.

• I found myself sticking to the same half dozen backpacker rap dudes like a Victoria's Secret wedgie

homophobe.

• I'll add ICE CUBE to the list. I gave "Predator" a listen the other day and had a hard time believing I was ever all that into it. Couple of decent songs, but I just don't "buy it" from him.

Actin' all hard, then rhymes about livin' with his momma.

I found myself sticking to the same half dozen backpacker rap dudes like a Victoria's Secret wedgie

homophobe.

It was not intended in any way to be "durogatory"...

• I'll add ICE CUBE to the list. I gave "Predator" a listen the other day and had a hard time believing I was ever all that into it. Couple of decent songs, but I just don't "buy it" from him.

the dude was in N.W.A.
    No Vaseline?
    You Know How We Do It?
    Check Yourself?
    Today was a good day?
    Wicked?
    Ghetto Bird?
    That IBWIN' with Crewin' joint with Yo-Yo?
    Who's The Mack?
    Burn Hollywood Burn?
    Jackin' for Beats?

granted all his shit during and afther the shiny-suit era in hip-hop isn't even counted but damn, I think he's underated.

• Burn Hollywood Burn?

he was on that track?

the dude was in N.W.A.
    No Vaseline?
    You Know How We Do It?
    Check Yourself?
    Today was a good day?
    Wicked?
    Ghetto Bird?
    That IBWIN' with Crewin' joint with Yo-Yo?
    Who's The Mack?
    Burn Hollywood Burn?
    Jackin' for Beats?

granted all his shit during and afther the shiny-suit era in hip-hop isn't even counted but damn, I think he's underated.

Damn, Dude. I didn't mean to talk bad about him living with his momma.

Seriously?

Damn man a lot of guys on here rate Ice Cubes ???Def Certificate??? as being one of the best albums ever.
    Admittedly ???Predator??? was a far poorer follow up (this has been discussed at length before).
    But man Cube might have been shit for some time now, but when he was at his best??????Shit that was some good hip hop.

I'll add ICE CUBE to the list. I gave "Predator" a listen the other day and had a hard time believing I was ever all that into it. Couple of decent songs, but I just don't "buy it" from him.

Seriously?

Damn man a lot of guys on here rate Ice Cubes ???Def Certificate??? as being one of the best albums ever.
    Admittedly ???Predator??? was a far poorer follow up (this has been discussed at length before).
    But man Cube might have been shit for some time now, but when he was at his best??????Shit that was some good hip hop.

I agree.

However, I applaud Ross for taking aim at an almost sacrosanct artist--which is what this thread should be about--instead of talking trash about easy targets like Dr. Octagon.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    I'll add ICE CUBE to the list. I gave "Predator" a listen the other day and had a hard time believing I was ever all that into it. Couple of decent songs, but I just don't "buy it" from him.

Seriously?

for real, dude is the definition of ....one of the most important and polarizing figures in hip hop history. and if you hate him, he's got a song just for you.

RESPECT

Seriously?

I agree.

However, I applaud Ross for taking aim at an almost sacrosanct artist--which is what this thread should be about--instead of talking trash about easy targets like Dr. Octagon.

We need a "canoodling" graemlin.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i like Tim Dog better

just kidding, cube is the motherfuckin shit. Amerikkkas most is one of my top ten of all time. i also love the predator although it seems to be one of his most hated albums

• awallawall 673 Posts

doctor octagon is, however, the definition of overrated hip hop.

when are folks going to start taking shots at this "legend":

(no pun intended)

i'll be the first to say, Pac is the most overrated mc of all time

• However, I applaud Ross for taking aim at an almost sacrosanct artist--which is what this thread should be about--instead of talking trash about easy targets like Dr. Octagon.

doctor octagon is, however, the definition of overrated hip hop.

when are folks going to start taking shots at this "legend":

(no pun intended)

i am not a fan

• awallawall 673 Posts
    i'll be the first to say, Pac is the most overrated mc of all time
    careful what you say, i hear he's still alive. and he likes guns i think.

really though, dude sucks.

• i'll be the first to say, Pac is the most overrated mc of all time

When he was good he was good but unfortunately to my ears he wasn???t good that often.
    And for the record a few of my favourite tunes are by Pac, and that not just confined to his earliest stuff (the first album was only so so).

• Pac's best stuff is on All Eyez On Me & Makaveli. And to an extent Me Against The World, but there's some clunkers on there. But yall don't listen to the first two so how could yall talk?

I mean, be honest. How many of yall have even sat through the entirety of Makaveli.

I mean, be honest. How many of yall have even sat through the entirety of Makaveli.
    raises hand

• I mean, be honest. How many of yall have even sat through the entirety of Makaveli.
    raises hand

OK... now, here's the main question about Pac: do you not understand why people like him, or merely think he's a little less dope than people proclaim?

I don't think he's as nice an MC as people proclaim. While his flow was definitely influential. He's kind of clumsy and just not that skilled. Subject matter is kind of one trick pony.

That said, I totally understand why people love him.

• makaveli was among the first 2? i thought that came out after he died. the albums ive heard is the brown one i think its called 2pacalypse now and the black one where he's like red and green or something. in all cases i just cant get into his delivery. dont like it. never will. 2pac is HUGE i say H U G E in LA.

• I think this is his finest album.

Was this his 3rd or 4th album (can't quite remember)?

• And I tell you how was over rated:

HIJACK[/b]

Not in America but in Europe I could catch a bad one for such sacrilege.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Pac's best stuff is on All Eyez On Me & Makaveli. And to an extent Me Against The World, but there's some clunkers on there. But yall don't listen to the first two so how could yall talk?

i like "i get around" and a few other tracks. the fun stuff. but overall, his delivery and whole general attitude drive me nuts. and Makaveli broke new ground for overly dramatic bullshit gangsta rap (also see ice cube's painful later period, i.e. "war and peace")

and yes, he is influential. influential on a bunch of terrible MCs that i couldn't care less about.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    OK... now, here's the main question about Pac: do you not understand why people like him, or merely think he's a little less dope than people proclaim?

I don't think he's as nice an MC as people proclaim. While his flow was definitely influential. He's kind of clumsy and just not that skilled. Subject matter is kind of one trick pony.

That said, I totally understand why people love him.
    I understand why people like him but I think he's still completely overrated. I enjoy a bit of his material, but when I try to listen to a whole album, the "not really being a good MC and rhyming Hennessy with enemies" shit really kicks in.

PS: Biggie > 2Pac

• I did try ???Makaveli??? it just didn???t do it for me, but maybe I was just bored of Pac by then.
    I think at that stage it was possible to still listen to most hip hop that came out (obvious exception being some regional stuff that was under the radar).

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    biggie. dude was lucky he bought it when he did 'cause he would surely have fallen off.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Fuck that bullshit. I'm overly happy to call any mufuckah overrated but I could never agree with someone saying Biggie was overrated.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    jigga.