The 2010 NFL Thread

Comments

• 1980beats said:
    As a long time GB fan, I can honestly say I feeel more comfortable having A-Rod at Soldier Field then I did a few years ago with Mr. I-love-to-throw-interceptions-at-the-wrong-times at home against the Giants. The Packers are red hot right now. However, the Bears aren't where they are due to an insane amount of luck. Going to be an awesome game! Hope the Pack can edge it out.

All that said the Bears game scares me. The Packers lost 6 games by a total of 20 pts. Throughout the year they never got outplayed, but they beat themselves with poor special teams play, penalties, lack of run game and coaches who have no clue about challenge flags.

And given that this is the greatest rivalry game in the history of the NFL playoffs, is this the biggest sporting event in Chicago's history?

Go PACK Go!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Jets v Packers.

Packers FTW

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

(but the Willie Nelson comparison is fairly apt)

• DrWu said:
    Jets v Packers.

Packers FTW

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Bears v Jets

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Bears - Steelers. Lovie loses to yet another black coach :raw:

Sundays Predictions

Bears over Packers Bears field is CRAPPY. So A-Rod will not have the kind of day he had in the dome. Hate to say it, but the Bears have constantly been shit on... including by myself. Which means they are a lot better than people think they are. With all the media slurping on the Pack it probably will go to their head and the Bears will pull out a close one.

Steelers over Jets I get it. Jets are the team of destiny.... beat Manning and Brady in their house. The SEXY pick. Sanchez is going to have a HELL of a day with the Steelers D. Last time Polamalou was out which is HUGE. Also we have Heath Miller back... which in the last game his back up Spaeth had a lot of key drops.

• RAJ said:
    Also we have Heath Miller back... which in the last game his back up Spaeth had a lot of key drops.

THIS.

• I'm not understanding how people are picking the Bears with that offense. Granted they made the Super Bowl a few years back with Rex Grossman, but the '06 defense was better than today's.

• Garcia_Vega said:
    I'm not understanding how people are picking the Bears with that offense. Granted they made the Super Bowl a few years back with Rex Grossman, but the '06 defense was better than today's.

You forgot about special teams, As usual the Bears have the best special teams and the Packers some of the worst. Last week the Pack gave up a return for a TD and missed a chip shot field goal. The first Bears/Packers meeting Hester returned one for a TD and Crosby had a field goal blocked. I'm not picking the Bears, but the Bears offense is much improved, they somewhat fixed their early season offensive line problems and even put up 38 on the Jets a few weeks ago.

• if the Steelers reach the SB surely there has never been a more undeserving team to reach the SB 3 times in a six year stretch....anyone but the Steelers for the VL trophy this year

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    thursdayalley said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    I'm not understanding how people are picking the Bears with that offense. Granted they made the Super Bowl a few years back with Rex Grossman, but the '06 defense was better than today's.

You forgot about special teams, As usual the Bears have the best special teams

Bears are all the time working with a short field thanks to Hester and Manning getting good punt and kick returns (or from the opposing teams kicking it out of bounds). A few runs by #22 (I can't think of dude's name right now) and a few short tosses for first downs by Cutler and just like that those biatches are in the red zone. That schitt drove me CRAZY when they did it against the Eagles, but the Bears do this shit consistently. It's a winning formula, especially when you throw in a couple of big plays here and there on both sides of the ball and of course Hester can take it to the house anytime he touches it. And don't forget about that cotdamned field! I wouldn't bet the World Of Beats Farm on it, but I'm feelin' the Bears' elbows. :hard_as_fuck:

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    Thoughts this weekend:

Jets vs Steelers: Line is at -3.5 Steelers, but you can take that away since home team automatically gets 3 points. I love the Jets, they won me $850 last week, but they are going to get pawned by the Steelers. Polamalu and Miller back. Steelers defense is >>>>> Jets, and Sanchez is a pretty awful QB (he has some moments). I must hate since I was a Bruin and I hate the Trojans. Ryan is a defensive genius, but there is only so much you can do with dirty Sanchez. Also, I am down to see the return of Santonio, should be real interesting. ROFLsberger >>>>>> Sanchez. Pick: Steelers FTW.

Packers vs Bears: Line is -3.5 Packers, but it is an away game so same deal, should be -6.5 Packers. I like many others picked these pre-season favorites to get to Super Bowl. Bears defense is sick, and Cutler isn't too awful, but still Rodgers is the best QB in the game. Best QB rating, whatever that is and I don't know anyone who knows how to calculate that thing. Packers defense is mega, and Clay Matthews is a beast. Pick: Packers FTW.

Thus far this has been a ridiculous NFL playoff experience for me. I have hit every single parlay I bet, and am up a little over $3,000. I haven't missed an NFL game yet, but I fucked up the BCS thinking Oregon would take it down. I think I am gonna push it and go all in as well this weekend. Now if only I can stop betting NBA games....

Risingson said:
    if the Steelers reach the SB surely there has never been a more undeserving team to reach the SB 3 times in a six year stretch....anyone but the Steelers for the VL trophy this year

• RAJ said:
    Risingson said:
    if the Steelers reach the SB surely there has never been a more undeserving team to reach the SB 3 times in a six year stretch....anyone but the Steelers for the VL trophy this year

2005 : 9-7, fluke shoestring tackle, worst winning SB QB performance ever

2008 : Baltimore eliminates the Steelers main AFC threat with the help of a botched no call delay of game penalty

2010 : the Jets save Pittsburgh a trip to NE against a team that has tore them a new asshole anytime Brady has been under center

how great are they? They haven't even made the playoffs the year after winning the SB on both occasions in the last decade. Great defence? Not half the defence without Polamalu. Ok so SB rings are SB rings but the Steelers have been very lucky with # 5 & 6. I'd just hate to see them win # 7 in similar fashion

Risingson said:
    RAJ said:
    Risingson said:

2005 : 9-7, fluke shoestring tackle, worst winning SB QB performance ever

2008 : Baltimore eliminates the Steelers main AFC threat with the help of a botched no call delay of game penalty

2010 : the Jets save Pittsburgh a trip to NE against a team that has tore them a new asshole anytime Brady has been under center

how great are they? They haven't even made the playoffs the year after winning the SB on both occasions in the last decade. Great defence? Not half the defence without Polamalu. Ok so SB rings are SB rings but the Steelers have been very lucky with # 5 & 6. I'd just hate to see them win # 7 in similar fashion

The same can be said for of their superbowl wins in the 70s. Steelers haters are going to pick apart the team no matter what and hatt.

As for our D, its our secondary that is suspect. Troy is our only hope back there and when Troy is out teams will exploit it.

• what i want to know is, what is the Steelers record on Myron Cope's birthday? I feel like that's gonna play into it... ;)

anyway, i'm taking comfort in the fact that ed powers an 'em picked the jets this week. last time we played the jets, the h8ers actually picked the stillers, which meant sure doom. when i saw him pick NY this time, i breathed a sigh of relief.

bottom line: i don't see the jets winning twice at heinz field in the same season.

• RAJ said:

The same can be said for of their superbowl wins in the 70s. Steelers haters are going to pick apart the team no matter what and hatt.

I love those old 70s Steelers teams. Don't Raj I'm just a bitter Broncos fan.....Bill Cowher seems to like the Jets tomorrow!

• Options
    I'll go with Packers-Steelers for the Super Bowl.

• nice start for the Packers....Rodgers is playing lights out.....big miss by Cutler on that 3rd down

That game solidified the notion that Cutler is a joke. Get your ass out on the field you big wimp!

• Options
    RAJ said:
    That game solidified the notion that Cutler is a joke. Get your ass out on the field you big wimp!

"Cutler, who remained on the sideline with his pads on, told the Bears' medical staff he didn't know when in the first half he injured the knee, according to the Fox Sports broadcast."

• I hope for Cutler's sake he's proper hurt.

MJD has called him out on twitter already

wtf was with calling an end around on 3rd & 3 with a minute to go?

• Risingson said:
    I hope for Cutler's sake he's proper hurt.

Glad to see you guys share my opinion about Cutler. That was the biggest puss move in I-don't-know-how-long.

But shit. The Bears were in position to completely fade the Raji touchdown. The Packers went into celebration mode way early and completely let the Bears walk the ball right back down the field with no opposition. Then, they came out and had the tightest-sphictered three-and-out I've seen in some time. I just got the feeling McCarthy had no idea what to call and the moment was slightly bigger than Rodgers was ready for. The Bears defense was straight money in the second half. And then: coaching meltdown lets the team down. A) the Reverse was a terrible call. B) you don't take your last timeout to recover from the abominable third down disaster of a call, instead you let your 3rd string QB scramble to get a play off with the Super Bowl on the line. TERRIBLE. They should've either run the ball with Taylor or Forte or had two called throws for Hanie. Dude was making completions. That game was there for the Bears to take and they just couldn't do it because of Cutty, Collins and ultimately Lovie and Martz. Props to Urlacher, he played a hell of a game. The Packers overall didn't perform like champions throughout, save Shields and Raji, who were outstanding. It ended up being a fascinating game to watch, tough breaks Bears fans, I was rooting for you. Not quite time to crown Rodgers yet, though.

• Options
    Tremendous opening drive by the Steelers.

• GenePontecorvo said:
    Risingson said:
    I hope for Cutler's sake he's proper hurt.

Glad to see you guys share my opinion about Cutler. That was the biggest puss move in I-don't-know-how-long.

But shit. The Bears were in position to completely fade the Raji touchdown. The Packers went into celebration mode way early and completely let the Bears walk the ball right back down the field with no opposition. Then, they came out and had the tightest-sphictered three-and-out I've seen in some time. I just got the feeling McCarthy had no idea what to call and the moment was slightly bigger than Rodgers was ready for. The Bears defense was straight money in the second half. And then: coaching meltdown lets the team down. A) the Reverse was a terrible call. B) you don't take your last timeout to recover from the abominable third down disaster of a call, instead you let your 3rd string QB scramble to get a play off with the Super Bowl on the line. TERRIBLE. They should've either run the ball with Taylor or Forte or had two called throws for Hanie. Dude was making completions. That game was there for the Bears to take and they just couldn't do it because of Cutty, Collins and ultimately Lovie and Martz. Props to Urlacher, he played a hell of a game. The Packers overall didn't perform like champions throughout, save Shields and Raji, who were outstanding. It ended up being a fascinating game to watch, tough breaks Bears fans, I was rooting for you. Not quite time to crown Rodgers yet, though.

Going into Philly, Atlanta and now Chicago..I'd say he earned his stripes pretty damn well! Not to mention beating New York and Chicago at the end of the regular season to get there. Not too shabby! He might as well be wearing the crown for what he's done so far. IMO of course.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That unnecessary roughness was garbage. The Jets are making Mendenhall look all world. I don't get it.

• Rodgers is still a beast and in the discussion for best QB in the league. He didn't do much after the first few drives today though. Good tackle on Urlacher.