The 2010 NFL Thread

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    GenePontecorvo said:

Hey Gene,

That was great!!! I especially loved the 'nose bleed' one-liner. Classic material!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• GenePontecorvo said:

CAN'T WAIT! All that was missing was finger pointing at the camera and him saying, "I want you, BEN!"

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    incompletejigsaw said:
    GenePontecorvo said:

CAN'T WAIT! All that was missing was finger pointing at the camera and him saying, "I want you, BEN!"

"...You're lookin' at the greatest professional wrestler in the world today. You want the cars, you want the women, you want the $7,000 suits. But, to be the man, you've got to beat the man....Woooo!!!!"

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    GenePontecorvo said:

The "Randy Savage on Cocaine" video in the comments section is next level.

• Rockadelic said:
    GenePontecorvo said:

The "Randy Savage on Cocaine" video in the comments section is next level.

That's even more bizarre than when The Ultimate Warrior went on Arsenio.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    incompletejigsaw said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    I just don't get what makes the Jets so much more likeable than the Pats.

I understand that people are sick of the Pats, Brady's a pretty boy, etc ... but for Christ's sake it's the JETS! They are the worst collection of thugs, crybabies, fat slobs and trash talkers the NFL has seen on one team in years. I give them all the credit in the world for their win - they earned it and deserved it. I just don't get how everybody is rooting for them ... any other team vs the Pats I guess I could see ... but the JETS?!

Everyone's got their different reasons for liking the Jets. To call them a collection of thugs might be too much. Yeah, they have characters who have been on the wrong side of the tracks, but thugs?! Hmm. I like the Jets because they're almost the antithesis of a football team. They're loud, obnoxious and oft-times crude, but that's what makes their team so watchable. Plus, I love how they play for their coach. He puts himself on the frontlines saying his team will back him up, and more times than not they do. I don't see how you CAN'T not like the Jets. Or at least like WATCHING them.

You mis-quoted me. I said a collection of thugs ... and then like 3 other things. Meaning there were thugs in the mix. Like Scott. Not "the entire team is a bunch of thugs." Thug wasn't meant as some buzzword or coded language, I mean thug in the pro athlete sense, aka threatening to injure players in pre-game interviews. That one falls under "classless" too.

And the Jets aren't the "antithesis of a football team," they are just an east coast version of the early 80's Raiders.

whatever, they won and they deserved it. believe me, I am way more pissed at the Pats than anyone. benching Welker early in the game was pointless and may have lost them the game - Welker doesn't drop that sure-touchdown in the end zone that Crumpler did, and that was his route if he's in there. get that first touchdown after the Jets missed the field goal on the turnover? could have been an entirely different game. but they're out and I'm irrelevant in this thread now ... will enjoy watching the rest of the way but will avoid sports radio for the next month!

• The Jets are in the AFC Championship game and my team didn't even make the playoffs. I now know what it feels like to be a Mets fan.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Pats are like the Lakers. Nobody outside of LA likes the Lakers, and nobody outside of New England likes the Pats.
    That's not true esp. about the Lakers.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I know it's easy to think the Steelers have a cake walk next week, but the Jets have destiny on their side. I've seen it with my team in '05 and '08... and the Giants in '07. So in that respect, I'm a smidge shook. NOT as shook as having to play Brady again.

If it is indeed a Steelers - Packers Superbowl, Peter King is a genius.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1173841/index.htm

• Bears - Jets.

GB is going to have the media riding their nuts this week. Bears will be motivated and at home.

The Jets? I have no idea how they win games with that offense but they do. Haven't they already won once in Pittsburgh?

• Jets beat a Troy Polamalu-less Steelers in a back and forth game that was actually really entertaining. I don't know if that will happen again, but I also didn't expect the Jets to beat the Pats either, so who knows.

Packers vs Bears is going to be a close one. I think the Packers are the hotter team right now, and I've never believed in Cutler. Should be a good game.

On a more somber note, there are only 3 games left this season. I'm feeling withdrawl set in already.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    incompletejigsaw said:
    RAJ said:
    JETS coming to town! I think I saw Tom shed a couple tears. PRICELESS!

Seeing Bellichick with his head bowed down in defeat is another priceless moment for me as well.

This, to me, is the greatest spectacle in all of sports - the Bill Belicheat post-defeat news conference.

Watching the dark shadows spread over his face as he grimly intones non-sequiturs is the best sort of
    reality TV, imo. Then, as if that wasn't awesome enough, we get Golden Boy's petulant turn on the stand.

Football doesn't get any better than that.

• change the title of this thread to "soulstrut couldn't predict the outcome of a football game if their life depended on it."

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Horseleech said:

if you really believe that, then you are truly a sad individual.

SoulOnIce said:
    Horseleech said:

Then why am I so happy?

BTW, you might want to see a doctor about the tone deaf thing.

SoulOnIce said:
    Horseleech said:

I don't know....in all my years of watching sports the single greatest moment I can remember is watching Yankee Stadium empty out in the 6th inning when the Rangers whipped their ass in an AL Championship Series game this past season.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    Horseleech said:

I don't know....in all my years of watching sports the single greatest moment I can remember is watching Yankee Stadium empty out in the 6th inning when the Rangers whipped their ass in an AL Championship Series game this past season.

I can relate. Watching the last few innings of the 7th ACLS game in 2004 was made even more special by the crowd shots as the Yankees fans went from shock to horror to suicidal sadness and then just disappeared. The World Series win was great but almost anticlimactic after THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    change the title of this thread to "soulstrut couldn't predict the outcome of a football game if their life depended on it."

I went 1-3 this past weekend. And, yet, the "1" was my hometown Chicago Bears. The road to the Super Bowl rolls through Lake Shore Drive. The Packers have been on a hell of a tear. We'll see if they can keep it going. Packers and Bears have played each other more than any other football teams in the league but haven't met in the playoffs since World War II. Suffice to say, I am pretty excited.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jesus Christ. The Jets played a hell of a game, and their defense absolutely took us apart. They deserved to win, and we most certainly deserved to lose. They've earned their berth in the AFC championship. But God damn do I want the Steelers to beat Rex Ryan. Fuck that guy twice. I'll be huddled despondent in the corner if anyone needs me.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    HA HA!

That is all.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I'll be huddled despondent in the corner if anyone needs me.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Is it possible for Al Davis to look anymore like a cryptkeeper?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    C'mon now, trying to eat some lunch over here.

• It's crazy in Wisconsin right now! Even here in Milwaukee, many businesses are closing early on Sunday due to the game. There's an annual boat show that is even packing up early and leaving on Sunday, knowing full-well there will be nobody attending. Apparently this boat show counts for over 50% of these people's sales throughout the year too. As a long time GB fan, I can honestly say I feeel more comfortable having A-Rod at Soldier Field then I did a few years ago with Mr. I-love-to-throw-interceptions-at-the-wrong-times at home against the Giants. The Packers are red hot right now. However, the Bears aren't where they are due to an insane amount of luck. Going to be an awesome game! Hope the Pack can edge it out.

1980beats said:
    A-Rod.

Are they really calling Aaron Rodgers A-Rod??

Rockadelic said:
    1980beats said:
    A-Rod.

I truly hope not.

• Rockadelic said:
    1980beats said:
    A-Rod.

"They" are.......and sadly, it's caught on. You can't watch teh news without any telecaster saying it. Impossible to escape out here.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    RAJ said:

The last time I posted a pic of Al Davis here, I almost got banned. "When hell is full, the dead will walk the earth (and own football teams)." My toddler saw Al Davis on the screen and kept pointing to her forehead and saying "Owwwie"

dollar_bin said:
    RAJ said:

The last time I posted a pic of Al Davis here, I almost got banned. "When hell is full, the dead will walk the earth (and own football teams)." My toddler saw Al Davis on the screen and kept pointing to her forehead and saying "Owwwie"