MLB 2010 THREAD

Comments

• imma get absolutely piled up drunk starting now, play MLB the show on playstation while blasting jock jams until the game starts and then dress my cats and dogs up like philly fans and shout at the tv until they win.

QUOTE THAT NEW YORK TIMES!!!

• JimBeam said:
    seriously, phillies fans: if you haven't seen a giants game all season, the one tonight epitomized the season. ugh. so many dumb plays.

yeah microcosm of the season-related. so many stranded dudes. anyone got a stat on that? I swear we left like 8 or ten dudes on base last night. so hard to watch.

• Cosmo said:
    If there's one thing a Philly team knows how to do it's how to lose. Even with this dynamite squad. Tonight is gonna be murder my dude. Time to start drinking soon I think hahah...

good game dude. but this dude will SEE you in Philly:

NO GAME SEVEN.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Rooting for the Yankees is like.....

Rooting for Bill Gates to make more money.

Rooting for Wilt Chamberlain to get laid.

Rooting for Octomom to have more kids.

Rooting for Lindsay Lohan to get more press coverage.

Rooting for Louisiana to have another disaster.

Rooting for Wal-Mart to build more stores.

Rooting for Satanists to sacrifice virgins.

Rooting for the NY Times to stay in business.

• Options
    Rooting for the warden in "Shawshank Redemption."

Rooting for flesh-eating bacteria.

Rooting for Niedermayer and Marmalard.

Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, I saw that coming. Real happy for Vlad and Cliff...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Rangers have a sick team that is finally healthy......we'll give S.F. or Philly a run for their money.

As a long suffering fan this feels great.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ron Williams

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Real happy for Vlad

!!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Geared up and ready to go. Never stop fighting until the end, and we're in our house now. Flashbacks to Sonny in Bronx Tale... "Now youse CAN'T leave..."

selperfuge said:
    Word Series Game 1 Halladay vs Lee would be some :face_melt: shit

Focused in on this.

• Options
    The truth is spoken about Yankee fans:

"Some people wait for that warm spring day when summer dresses and tank tops come out on the streets of New York all at once. Me, I cherish a particular day in the fall, a day that some years sadly never comes. But when it does come, it's a beautiful and unmistakable thing: the day the Yankees caps all disappear at once.

Before I first moved to New York, I hadn't fully understood what sad, wretched front-runners the legions of Yankees fans really are. I always knew they were awful people, the most obnoxious fans in sports, but I hadn't grasped how weak-hearted they were. When the Yankees lose, there is no defiance, no residual pride, no we-want-a-rematch resolve. (The closest the Yankees come to that is their annual scheming to hire anyone who beats them.) People root for the Yankees because they want to identify with a winner???not just a winner, but the winner???and when the Yankees are losers, it blows a hole in their identity. They didn't sign up for this to root for a loser.

And so the caps vanish, overnight. They always tell you, when you're growing up, that a bully will cut and run the first time you punch back. Most kids are skeptical. Bullies are bigger and stronger than you. That's why they're bullies! It doesn't make sense that they would just cave like that.

But at least for the Yankees, it's true. The fans fled Yankee Stadium before the games were even over. The manager panicked and started handing out intentional walks. Robinson Cano jogged out a ninth-inning grounder. Alex Rodriguez stood frozen for the season-ending strike three. The first baseball cap I saw at Fairway today was a San Francisco Giants one. "

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/scocca/archive/2010/10/23/it-s-no-more-yankee-fans-day.aspx

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    LOL @ the asshurtedness of TrollLarryJesus and self-imposed exile guy.

no hatred to the Phils but I kind of wanted to see the Giants finish off the Year of the Pitcher?? on the big stage. but.. their one man offense strategy and the Rangers' momentum might result in a four game snooze/sweep.

either way Lee/Halladay or Lee/Lincecum will be pretty great.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    fuck the haters

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Sick finish tonight. Lincecum's attempt at pitching relief was not pretty and Wilson had me crazy nervous but man, hell of a way to close it out, with Howard caught looking.

SF must be BONKERS right now.

SF >>>>>>>>>>>>> TX, all day, er'day.

b/w

• mannybolone said:

SF must be BONKERS right now.

Shit was pretty wild. Still hearing dudes yelling and cars honking in the distance at ~2am.

• I found this youtube clip of the aftermath at this spot Pedro's where I watched the game. Shit was nuts. This went on for hours and there was an impromptu rally on the street outside the ballpark; people stopped and getting out of their cars; lots of hugging of complete strangers; good times.

• and yo Sanchez has been my favorite of our pitchers for a minute. sad to see the nerves get the best of him up there last night, but remember he hit the single that started our rally! bring on the Rangers; we really could go all the way this time.

• stranding THREE dudes on base in the 9th was tough to watch; we do this way too much. but yo, GIANTS; last night was crazy; lotsa love in this town right now; it's a good feeling.

• Options
    I like this matchup. I'll feel good for the fans of whichever team wins.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Hate to say this, but as an avid A's fan and Bay Area native, it's hard for me to root for the Giants. This is mainly due to all of their wining and crying whenever the A's talk about building a ballpark in San Jose, which could potentially push the A's out of the Bay Area. Let's remember that back in the late 80's both the A's and Giants shared rights to San Jose, and when talks surfaced to move the Giants to Florida, the A's gave them the territory FOR FREE as a favor to keep them in the Bay. Obviously, having the Giants move to Florida would have been a great business move for the A's, but they took the higher road and did what was better for baseball. Now the tables have turned and Giants execs are too worried about their wallets than what's better for Bay Area sports. To be honest I think that's pretty classless.

So, let's go Texas!

• right and during that whole episode the team you are now riding for was owned by W.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    maru said:
    Hate to say this, but as an avid A's fan and Bay Area native, it's hard for me to root for the Giants. This is mainly due to all of their wining and crying whenever the A's talk about building a ballpark in San Jose, which could potentially push the A's out of the Bay Area. Let's remember that back in the late 80's both the A's and Giants shared rights to San Jose, and when talks surfaced to move the Giants to Florida, the A's gave them the territory FOR FREE as a favor to keep them in the Bay. Obviously, having the Giants move to Florida would have been a great business move for the A's, but they took the higher road and did what was better for baseball. Now the tables have turned and Giants execs are too worried about their wallets than what's better for Bay Area sports. To be honest I think that's pretty classless.

So, let's go Texas!

Isn't it accepted as de rigueur that one either roots for The Giants or The A's? Kind of like the Mets / Yankees argument? All I know is that my wife's family is from The Bay and they would not be caught dead rooting for The Giants over the A's.

That being said, with my dudes out I have no vested interest in either team, and who knows if I'll even watch (I probably will) but again I would love to see Vlad and Cliff get rings. That's really it cause I could care less about Tejas. And I'm happy for the SF friends for their win. Trust me, Philly's had that feeling for the past 2 years, and will do so again in the near future. But there's nothing in the world that will convince me that Brian Wilson isn't one of the games biggest tools.

• Some A's fans are on some shit where you can't root at ALL for the Giants. What can I say, I always had one foot in SF, mom would take me to A's games at the Colliseum and pop would take me to Giants games at the 'Stick. I could always root for the Giants even though the A's were my team - there wasn't inferleague play back then, and in the Bay Bridge Series of '89 I was still thoroughly rooting for Oakland. I don't consider it at all like the Yankees/Mets dynamic. Different steez. Mrs. Cosmo is very orthodox about about certain Bay allegiances though, I know this.... Heh.

I don't see how any A's fan could be excited about a move to San Jose though! That, to me, is tragic.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    But there's nothing in the world that will convince me that Brian Wilson isn't one of the games biggest tools.

that dude really sucks -- i want to see some great Gigantes starting pitching but Wilson's going to crumble under pressure despite his recent run.

• any A's fan that wants to see them become the San Jose A's - hell, even the Freemont A's or whatever - I question that shit. How are you repping this historic Oakland franchise yet you would be ok with them moving an hour south to San Jose, whole different style, culture and area code. That is real suspect IMO.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    any A's fan that wants to see them become the San Jose A's - hell, even the Freemont A's or whatever - I question that shit. How are you repping this historic Oakland franchise yet you would be ok with them moving an hour south to San Jose, whole different style, culture and area code. That is real suspect IMO.

Goddamn I didn't hear about this at all and just read that they're leaving Oakland. What a fucking terrible thing. They couldn't be the Oakland Athletics anymore, sorry. And what a way for such a legendary franchise to go out. Man fuck all that noise. I feel sorry for you dudes.

And for the record I actually always loved The A's even before I found out they were a team with Philly origins. Would really stink if The East Bay ended up not having any pro sports teams. You can't cound The Warriors because I still maintain that they technically and officially should change their name / location from that shitty "Golden State" - fuck is that shit. Like The Keystone State Sixers. Nonsense. Anyway, I never really cared either way about The Giants although Willie Mays is my dude. But I got love for The A's in a way considering I never had any connection to them. Kind of like I've always been a big Chicago White Sox fan, and I always was a huge Brooklyn Dodgers fan too, but not LA. Fuck it. I think I drank too much coffee.

• Losing the A's and keeping the Raiders is a terrible trade.

• Losing the A's and keeping the Raiders is a terrible trade.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    just to clarify, I DO NOT want to see the A's move to San Jose. it's just a far better option to me than fucking Fremont, or Vegas, or anywhere else outside the Bay. The fact that the Giants go ape shit whenever San Jose is mentioned is just aggravating to me since the A's gave them that territory as a favor to keep them in the Bay.

Obviously my dream scenario is to build a new stadium somewhere in Oakland. If that can't happen then San Jose is a distant second as it's the only scenario I can see keeping my fandom.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Forgot about The Raiders.

Anyway, why don't they build a coliseum in Richmond... ;)