Kon + Amir: 50 greatest HipHop Samples

12346»

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Just enjoy the list and you might learn something!

I think what people are missing is that this list is 2 peoples opinions. I think the list is overall pretty damn good, I'd make a few changes if it was my list but it's not. Any mention of missing samples is just people sayin, "ooh, look what I know or look what I have". These samples reflect the early and most impactful days of American Hip-Hop. Unless Bambaataa and those cats were spinning it, no one was really up on Euro library records, Polish jazz, Afro funk, etc. So to say records of that caliber are missing is just ridiculous.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Just enjoy the list and you might learn something!

I think what people are missing is that this list is 2 peoples opinions. I think the list is overall pretty damn good, I'd make a few changes if it was my list but it's not. Any mention of missing samples is just people sayin, "ooh, look what I know or look what I have". These samples reflect the early and most impactful days of American Hip-Hop. Unless Bambaataa and those cats were spinning it, no one was really up on Euro library records, Polish jazz, Afro funk, etc. So to say records of that caliber are missing is just ridiculous.

The list is fine, but Complex presented it as the G.O.A.T. not Kon & Amir's Private Mind Garden List.

One should be able to read btwn the lines and see it's not the be all all to end all list Samples list.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

The list is fine, but Complex presented it as the G.O.A.T. not Kon & Amir's Private Mind Garden List.

One should be able to read btwn the lines and see it's not the be all all to end all list Samples list.

That's what I'm sayin! But you know how these dudes are.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

That's what I'm sayin! But you know how these dudes are.

Most folks werent that picky but........

These samples reflect the early and most impactful days of American Hip-Hop.

Early American Hip Hop = Hip Hop All Time?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

Early American Hip Hop = Hip Hop All Time?

LOL, you know know what I mean man. Some cats will say that just cause an obscure sample was used by an artist they really like or in a song they really like that it should be listed. IMO, and I'm sure everyone here knows this by now, but Surprize "Sweet Love" is the greatest drum braek but that doesn't mean it deserves a spot on this list. It don't. The samples Kon & Amir listed help shape and mold Hip-Hop to what it is today. They're an important part of Hip-Hop history. I mean the top 10 were pretty much staples on any LP, at least in the "gloden age". Almost every album from 88-94 had "Substitution", "Impeach the president", "Funky president" & "Hihache". Some even used these braeks more than once on the same album.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    11 page long fart

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    much of the discussion in this thread is 'just a bunch of mambo jahambo'.
    reading the top 50 list was 1 hour of my sunday morning well spent.
    reading the rest of this thread was 2 hours of my life wasted and my girl is telling me to get off the computer and enjoy the sun.
    I, however, will go record digging.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    11 page long fart

It really is!! I can't believe we wasted this much time on something that really shouldn't have had any discussion in the first place.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    For real - people could save a lot of wasted time simply by ignoring obvious baiting.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    we need another age check thread. the way some people post i cant believe they're adults.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    we need another age check thread. the way some people post i cant believe they're adults.

38...smoke something, bitch(es).

Seriously, y'all are lame. Can't take one lil bit of criticism against your 15-year old tired bible without stooping to some tight-butted how dare you, oh well I've never

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    This thread made me read the Southern Samples thread.

That thread made me revisit "Til Death Do Us Part."

That album is still that schitt.

All-in-all, this was a win. Straight gangster-ism indeed. Bring it on, folls.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    11 page long fart

It really is!! I can't believe we wasted this much time on something that really shouldn't have had any discussion in the first place.

i honestly don't understand why anyone would be bothered by any discussion of the list..... in a crate digging revealed forum

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

38...smoke something, bitch(es).

Seriously, y'all are lame. Can't take one lil bit of criticism against your 15-year old tired bible without stooping to some tight-butted how dare you, oh well I've never

Seriously... what are these dudes whining about, exactly?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

That they own bullshit records.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

That they own bullshit records.

hahaaaaha freeeeeeeal
    fuck them euro records! leave that shit for the nerdynerds (me!!!!!)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    cool thred

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    "When 2 Live Crew sampled Mass Production's Firecracker...that was genius! Yet I never hear anyone ever shout that one out. "

Three Times Dope used that loop first.... Philly wins.