1234568»

Comments

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Shamu The Whale's Junk

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Boo Boo Yogi's Baby

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Madge the Dunky Fum

• I remember some time ago there was an interview in which he explained the origin of his name, and I was less than impressed.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I remember some time ago there was an interview in which he explained the origin of his name, and I was less than impressed.

Wow.....still not impressed but hey he is doing his thing

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts
    this is pretty decent..

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    In 04 he was too young to get in a show?! How young is this dude??

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I remember some time ago there was an interview in which he explained the origin of his name, and I was less than impressed.
    etc. etc. etc.

Hey guys, why don't we just kill him?

"His name? I don't like it."
    "His beats? I don't like it."

6 pages of this shit? We get it already.

This thread became a dogpile over a dude who's just doing his thing.
    I've only dug a couple of the tracks I've heard, but he's carrying on a sound I grew up on and I'm not mad at that. Yes, the style is old, yes it's been done before (and better). Who cares, take it for what it is.

• StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
    etc. etc. etc.

I've only dug a couple of the tracks I've heard, but he's carrying on a sound I grew up on and I'm not mad at that. Yes, the style is old, yes it's been done before (and better). Who cares, take it for what it is.

honestly...

And its also like, most have an issue with the lo-fi sound of his stuff, and the sample rate of his drums and blahblah. its clearly not ineptitude - he enjoys that particular sound and rolls with it as a signature of his beats. like it or not, you can usually spot a damu beat by the sonic quality of the drums. Im not particularly crazy about his stuff, but so what? Lets all take a trip to the "rap you like" threads and see what good rap is, apparently. A bunch of fetishists posting the latest 'i dont give a fuck about anything' rappers with 808's. great!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Lets all take a trip to the "rap you like" threads and see what good rap is, apparently. A bunch of fetishists posting the latest 'i dont give a fuck about anything' rappers with 808's. great!

I don't know where you are from, but "fetishists"?

Look dude, life outside of the internet...where people get together and vibe and/or dance to rap music nowadays...that 808 funny shit is just what people listen to. That raunchy shit you think is played out is actually what's normal. You loner dudes in your basements thinking your half-hesitant flip of a Joan Baez record is the bees knees, y'all are the weird ones with a fetish and shit.

Im from Toronto.

Its like communism dude - whenever i hear about "the people" i call bullshit. this whole "where people get together and vibe and/or dance to rap music nowadays" thing is moot. What people - poor white folks or elderly mexicans? In NY or in Toronto? Or in Atlanta? What music exactly? any music with "raunchy" lyrics and 808's, or a specific genre? Dont talk about "the people", cause the big clubs where you will find the broadest cross-section of people sure as hell dont play the Lil Zeekie's Booty Shuffle b-side- they play Drake, Guetta and Gaga. And just as you find clubs with that type of music, you can easily find spots that fill house with people (loner dudes nonetheless)dancing to Illmatic and Tribe. Yes, it does happen!
    Im sayin, the hate on dudes like Damu is disproportionate to the quality of music they make. I think it goes deeper, perhaps as a reaction against the whole nerd vinyl culture that we are all kind of part of (or else we wouldnt be on soulstrut)

• Im sayin, the hate on dudes like Damu is disproportionate to the quality of music they make. I think it goes deeper, perhaps as a reaction against the whole nerd vinyl culture that we are all kind of part of (or else we wouldnt be on soulstrut)

I've often thought this about some attitudes on Soulstrut. Dudes see themselves five years ago and belittle it as they are "above" all that now. Its the worst part about this place.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Im sayin, the hate on dudes like Damu is disproportionate to the quality of music they make. I think it goes deeper, perhaps as a reaction against the whole nerd vinyl culture that we are all kind of part of (or else we wouldnt be on soulstrut)

I've often thought this about some attitudes on Soulstrut. Dudes see themselves five years ago and belittle it as they are "above" all that now. Its the worst part about this place.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    the cool thing about all this sh*t is that damu probably doesn't give a fuck. the end.

Wow. That is indeed, very cool. No doubt he's having a probable great time in Europe.

If I'd know that Mr Fudgemunk wasn't actually going to check this thread himself I wouldn't have wasted so much time in here

I look forward to all the people moaning about critique of an artist and asking "let the boy do his thing" refraining from ever making comment in Gucci Mane etc threads in the future.

• We need a hip-hop counseling subforum

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

"So... tell me about your golden era"

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    hahaha.

i find it deeply troubling that the peace loving, laid back, arguably retro but still relatively well produced sounds of damu the fudgemunk can cause so much infighting and animosity amongst the upper echelons of hip hop's cognescenti.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    i find it deeply troubling hilarious that the peace loving, laid back, arguably retro but still relatively well produced sounds of damu the fudgemunk can cause so much infighting and animosity amongst the upper echelons lowly detritus of hip hop's cognescenti fudgemunkerarti.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    dancing to Illmatic

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    the cool thing about all this sh*t is that damu probably doesn't give a fuck. the end.

Wow. That is indeed, very cool. No doubt he's having a probable great time in Europe.

If I'd know that Mr Fudgemunk wasn't actually going to check this thread himself I wouldn't have wasted so much time in here

He's sure to have some great memories about not checking this thread!

Im from Toronto.

Its like communism dude - whenever i hear about "the people" i call bullshit. this whole "where people get together and vibe and/or dance to rap music nowadays" thing is moot. What people - poor white folks or elderly mexicans? In NY or in Toronto? Or in Atlanta? What music exactly? any music with "raunchy" lyrics and 808's, or a specific genre? Dont talk about "the people", cause the big clubs where you will find the broadest cross-section of people sure as hell dont play the Lil Zeekie's Booty Shuffle b-side- they play Drake, Guetta and Gaga. And just as you find clubs with that type of music, you can easily find spots that fill house with people (loner dudes nonetheless)dancing to Illmatic and Tribe. Yes, it does happen!

You call "the people" bullshit because you assume "the people" don't exist. Yet when you know "the people" there is no way to just disregard them in their overwhelming volumes by saying that lil fringe dudes dancing to Illmatic still are on equal footing with them. Yes dude, clubs play Drake and then they most certainly play Boosie and Lil Whoever is the flavor of the month right now. And this goes on every night of the week...and is considered normal to the core audience for rap. And for me, the clown I cast upon Damu comes more from his apparent idea that what he is doing is bringing us back to some better, former standard of hip-hop...yet his music simply doesn't even come close to supporting such a position. If he has fans, then actually good for him.

And you can definitely be way into records without being way into being a nerd...just so you know.

"the people" dont exist, i stand by that - when talking about Lil Whatever in the clubs - who is the audience? Are you, once again, talking about a cross-section of rap listeners, or 16-22 year old black kids from the hood? White college dudes arent flocking to these clubs, and neither do you or i, most likely. Sure, there are flavor of the day joints that play in alot of clubs, but theyre in the minority and are usually marketed as a that - flavor of the month. My point is, if Damu didnt call his record "How it should sound", would you be mad? Is it really about his claims of 'real hiphop' that irks you? your malice towards 'crusty joan baez DITC east coast boombap whateverwhatever' dudes is over the top, and this sentiment is echoed in the kon amir thread as well.
    All im sayin is, why get so mad over Damu's hiphop ethics and then totally cosign some shitty 808 crackrap? Cause one's more "real" than the other?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    dancing to Illmatic

that kid behind Jay got mean little eye jammy.

• kemskems 120 Posts
    etc. etc. etc.

AMEN!!! I happen to really dig what he does, but either way. Enough already.

"the people" dont exist, i stand by that - when talking about Lil Whatever in the clubs - who is the audience? Are you, once again, talking about a cross-section of rap listeners, or 16-22 year old black kids from the hood? White college dudes arent flocking to these clubs, and neither do you or i, most likely. Sure, there are flavor of the day joints that play in alot of clubs, but theyre in the minority and are usually marketed as a that - flavor of the month. My point is, if Damu didnt call his record "How it should sound", would you be mad? Is it really about his claims of 'real hiphop' that irks you? your malice towards 'crusty joan baez DITC east coast boombap whateverwhatever' dudes is over the top, and this sentiment is echoed in the kon amir thread as well.
    All im sayin is, why get so mad over Damu's hiphop ethics and then totally cosign some shitty 808 crackrap? Cause one's more "real" than the other?

Because one has more fun[/b]ction than the other. And if you want to continue to insist that a core audience for rap doesn't exist because...hey, what about this handful of white fratboys over here who also like rap...then that's your bag only. The trends are still set by "the people" who are indeed very real and thorough.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• Amen.