Damu The Fudgemunk - This Is How It Should Sound

Comments

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Fair enough i just read a bio cant say i know if he really ever got up.
    Thanks for pointing that out.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    and... apparently dude is getting more than a few good reviews - in several languages.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    out of all the people who have gotten up in let's say, the past 10 years in dc or even had a name, i can tell you that kid was neither.

but yes, i do hear his tracks regularly in my house.

check the way he flipped that weather report in 'rock climbing'

the force is strong in this one

i'll wait till my roommate plays it. i'm not accustomed to listening to any type of dc rap.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    didn't we already have this thread?

• i'll wait till my roommate plays it. i'm not accustomed to listening to any type of dc rap.

Not a lot of people are accustomed to DC rap because they just think of it as Wale and gogo groups, but there are definitely talented artists in DC. yU of Diamond District has an album that I've really been enjoying. This is one of my favorites from it.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    some of yall sound a lil too bitter

damu's name is pretty bad. but bad name comments comin from people who listen to gucci mane and z-ro? dont tell me you havent been bumpin wacka flocka either. fuck outta here.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

hip hop in dc has always been a pretty sad state of affairs. i don't think you can connect graffiti in dc to hip hop. for the most part it was hardcore dudes who carried that torch.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

damu's name is pretty bad. but bad name comments comin from people who listen to gucci mane and z-ro? dont tell me you havent been bumpin wacka flocka either. fuck outta here.

Thank you! People on here with their Europhobia shit are jackasses too.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i'll wait till my roommate plays it. i'm not accustomed to listening to any type of dc rap.

Not a lot of people are accustomed to DC rap because they just think of it as Wale and gogo groups, but there are definitely talented artists in DC. yU of Diamond District has an album that I've really been enjoying. This is one of my favorites from it.

those choruses are painfull

:doesnotcompute:

it don't mean a thang, if it don't got that go-go swing

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Thank you! People on here with their Europhobia shit are jackasses too.

^^^^EUROMAN APOLOGIST

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts

if this is DC rap im not trying to check

• hip hop in dc has always been a pretty sad state of affairs. i don't think you can connect graffiti in dc to hip hop. for the most part it was hardcore dudes who carried that torch.

I like how 1:10 in they take a shot of St. Elizabeth's.

Southeast is still pretty bad, and there are still places I won't go to at certain times even in broad daylight, but there is hope. Just a few blocks away from the school I used to teach at they recently built an IHOP.

• if this is DC rap im not trying to check

wow, this is horrible

• didn't we already have this thread?

Like the exact same thread right, even with that other DC rap vid.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Putting all initial dislike about his name etc out of my head I've just tried to give this a neutral listen.

I can highly recommend checking British instrumental hip hop releases from around 1995-98 if this is melting your face.

Start with The Herbaliser.

Check out Rae & Christian.

Go from there.

• subsub 311 Posts

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    At least he's not on Stones Throw.

Putting all initial dislike about his name etc out of my head I've just tried to give this a neutral listen.

I can highly recommend checking British instrumental hip hop releases from around 1995-98 if this is melting your face.

Start with The Herbaliser.

Check out Rae & Christian.

Go from there.

thanks & i know man - when I was living in central London in the early nineties I had a gang of indie white label instrumentals some of which are still stuck in my head - got rid of all of em only to later regret it - oh well. Dj food et al had some ok things too. i even have this 12 lying around somewhere

twas the days of soap bar eighths, goatees & chicks from the student bar FTW!!! good times

• doomdoom 305 Posts

if this is DC rap im not trying to check

wow, this is horrible

not in the same dimension as this:

i do like diamond district, but i must say.. i have never heard a dope damu beat.

talk about 0 creativity. even ON weed. how the fuck is that going on? cant get with the faschination. boring by the book shit, student beats.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Soap bar and goatees, two things I'm grateful are buried far, far, in the dark past.

Yeah this music isn't bad it's just not really offering anything exciting to my ears. The generally piss poor quality of Brit MCs, particularly back then, did mean we were offered an overwhelming amount of instrumental hip hop and I severely overdosed on this sort of jazzy sound for a few years before the internet made other things more available. Really needs to be doing something a bit more unique to win me over.

Each to their own though.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Damu's okay but just okay.I get sent his music and I'll play his beats at work but they don't make me wanna go out and actively seek them.
    I don't understand why some of you guys get so worked up about him ?
    He doesn't breakface me nor make me want to fall aslseep.
    Totally average. We already had this thread like three months ago anyway.
    Its also funny how people give PUTS, and Ugly Duckling or even Fred Fades a pass becuase they are on the board while hating so much on Damu.
    Its all shades of grey really.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    there are still places I won't go to at certain times even in broad daylight, but there is hope. Just a few blocks away from the school I used to teach at they recently built an IHOP.

IHOPE[/i]

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I listened to this new one, and I was actually pleasantly surprised. I'm definitely not big on dude (I was hating in the last Damu thread!), but his layering is TECHNICALLY way above the norm. It may be boring, but I respect the craft and the effort he puts into his stuff.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Its also funny how people give PUTS, and Ugly Duckling or even Fred Fades a pass becuase they are on the board while hating so much on Damu.

I don't know about the others mentioned, but PUTS is liiiiiight years ahead of Damu on the production tip, and they started that way...long before this board.

I don't know about the others mentioned, but PUTS is liiiiiight years ahead of Damu on the production tip, and they started that way...long before this board.

For real. They're really not comparable unless you're lumping anyone who isn't pop rap into the same category. I have, however, given Thes some good-natured ribbing over the name People Under The Stairs in the past. Still, even that's light years better than DAMU THE FUDGEMUNK.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Let's try and find a better name for the poor chap:

Reginald the Chutney Ferret

Ozwaldo Von Funkelhoffer

Rastaklautbwadbwoy

Superproducer Fudgemunk

Jeru the Damu-ger.

I'd say any appellation that doesn't suggest rodent sodomy is a step in the right direction.