Damu The Fudgemunk - This Is How It Should Sound

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    whoa, I was just playing around....!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    I don't really get where the line is drawn between giving an opinion and being someone who disses people who actually make and release music etc.

Isn't this just an extremely long winded version of saying that if you don't make and release music yourself then you can't comment on it?

No. I had several clauses. You understand the meaning of the word 'if', don't you?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Well I thought I did, now I'm not so sure. I had assumed that the use of 'if' in this context was casual but now I've been informed that these were actual clauses I can interpret your post in the following manner:

You have over 10,000 posts
    +
    You spend all waking hours commenting on music on a popular public website
    +
    You aspire to be some authority on the subject and know where it's at
    +
    You have never had music commercially released or performed or have achieved any recognition in the real world

= You're kind of a crab

Which makes it seem a bit more reasonable.

B/w You will not hear doom's music soon if the other thread is anything to go by.

Well done. And I meant recognition for doing something musically.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I used to respect Senior's opinion but then I realised, where are teh xylophone breaks!?

Senior played triangle in the school orchestra for the Christmas Concert bitd.
    One performance only, ?2 each for parents, siblings free. Name spelt wrong in the one page photocopy programme.

Does that count?

Thanks skel I appreciate the shout out (I blazed that night) and did think about bringing up the numerous closed door performances I've given over the years of my cowbell interpretations of the hits of the day over Top Of The Pops backing tracks.

However I have to man up and say Chizzle's right, I'm a phoney, a fraud, and, I hate to say this, kind of a crab.

I can only hope those posters who have the missing part of my equation (though I'm working on that post count every day I can) will also seize this moment to atone and join me in building a better brighter future for all of us.

Senior played triangle in the school orchestra for the Christmas Concert bitd.
    One performance only, ?2 each for parents, siblings free. Name spelt wrong in the one page photocopy programme.

Does that count?

That's cool. I respect his hustle.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Only known extant photo of the gig.

Nah it wasn't The Hustle. Maybe taken during the 'Larry' section of their 8min epic version of Float On?

Senior to speak on it.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts

he kills it on the vibes damn!!

I don't think so.

He's better than me on my raasclat chime-bar, but come on. And his vibes looked stolen from a kindergarten. Bobby Hutcherson, Roy Ayers and dem LOLing in the aisles.

Also, scratching was not funkay.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    You guys are some cold motherfuckers.

It's a cold world.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Only known extant photo of the gig.

Nah it wasn't The Hustle. Maybe taken during the 'Larry' section of their 8min epic version of Float On?

Senior to speak on it.

Actually, I better clarify, while that picture is widely credited as me that was actually taken on the third night of the gigs when Toby Jones (my understudy) had to step up from wardrobe and take my place after the overwhelming responsibility of the performance took a heavy toll on my mental stability. Thankfully I received an intervention from some caring souls who found me curled in a ball out the back of the school hall rocking slowly while clutching the musical score that had been turned to pulp by my copious tears.
    On the plus side it did give Toby's life a sense of purpose that had sadly gone astray in the 25 years he's spent at the school.
    There are sadly no known pictures of me at the gig but I like to think that there is a legion of fans who have it stored in their memory banks for life.

I find it hard to believe that Mr Fudgemunk has yet known that kind of pressure but it will come.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

If this carries on any longer I'm going to the disabled bog for a work-wank.

I suppose crotch-punishment is 'performance art' of some sort, so consider yourself passed to speak critically on anyone's likewise performance.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I find it hard to believe that Mr Fudgemunk has yet known that kind of pressure but it will come.

Probably on his probable trip to Europe.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

It's all about the sub-twenty minute barrier.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It's the listener's responsibility to demand greatness from music and kick mediocre artists in the teeth. If we settle for anything less than the best, we deserve to be disappointed.

All this time I thought that putting forward an opinion on something published for the masses could be a valid and useful comment on its worth. Now I realise it's just a reflection that my own life is void of meaning or purpose. I will tread more carefully in future until I have achieved all personal goals and also concocted a far more worthy moniker.

Nah dudes. If you spend all your time commenting on music on a popular public website, racking up 10.000 plus posts, thereby aspiring to be some sort of authority on the subject, and walk around thinking you really really know where its at, then diss people who actually make and release music people buy and enjoy, and if, while doing so, you yourself have never made a musical contribution, ie commercially released or performed music, or have achieved any recognition in the real world, whatsoever for doing music yourself- you're kind of a crab. Thats going beyond a listener who comments or puts forward an opinion. You are welcome to do it, obviously. And to the guy giving damu production pointers, tell me what youve dropped or released, or you're soft.
    Stop making bad to mediocre music and there will be nothing to attack or call out. Music should be so undeniably good that there is little to debate; so good that one can only listen in awe. Everything else is future landfill or ballast. What does it matter if someone has released music that nobody still cares about and will never listen to again? If anything, former and current artists are biased in favor of other artists making music (mediocre or otherwise) for the love of it, while listeners are the more objective ones because their only stake in the matter is wanting to hear good music. Musicians are inherently biased in discussions of music. It's like consulting defense contractors on the merits of perpetual war.

And stop asking for constructive criticism from average non-musician Joes. It's the musician's place to make music; it's the listener's place to say whether it sucks, is mediocre, or is great. Listeners can stay out of music creating and musicians can stay out of music commenting. It's the musicians who must refrain from commenting!

I never said anyone should refrain from making comments. Am not a musician either. Not much of a cognitive reader are you? :eyeroll:

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    the cool thing about all this sh*t is that damu probably doesn't give a fuck. the end.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    the cool thing about all this sh*t is that damu probably doesn't give a fuck. the end.

Yup.......

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I never said anyone should refrain from making comments. Am not a musician either. Not much of a cognitive reader are you? :eyeroll:
    I was addressing closet beat makers such as yourself as well.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    It's the listener's responsibility to demand greatness from music and kick mediocre artists in the teeth. If we settle for anything less than the best, we deserve to be disappointed.

All this time I thought that putting forward an opinion on something published for the masses could be a valid and useful comment on its worth. Now I realise it's just a reflection that my own life is void of meaning or purpose. I will tread more carefully in future until I have achieved all personal goals and also concocted a far more worthy moniker.

Nah dudes. If you spend all your time commenting on music on a popular public website, racking up 10.000 plus posts, thereby aspiring to be some sort of authority on the subject, and walk around thinking you really really know where its at, then diss people who actually make and release music people buy and enjoy, and if, while doing so, you yourself have never made a musical contribution, ie commercially released or performed music, or have achieved any recognition in the real world, whatsoever for doing music yourself- you're kind of a crab. Thats going beyond a listener who comments or puts forward an opinion. You are welcome to do it, obviously. And to the guy giving damu production pointers, tell me what youve dropped or released, or you're soft.
    Stop making bad to mediocre music and there will be nothing to attack or call out. Music should be so undeniably good that there is little to debate; so good that one can only listen in awe. Everything else is future landfill or ballast. What does it matter if someone has released music that nobody still cares about and will never listen to again? If anything, former and current artists are biased in favor of other artists making music (mediocre or otherwise) for the love of it, while listeners are the more objective ones because their only stake in the matter is wanting to hear good music. Musicians are inherently biased in discussions of music. It's like consulting defense contractors on the merits of perpetual war.

And stop asking for constructive criticism from average non-musician Joes. It's the musician's place to make music; it's the listener's place to say whether it sucks, is mediocre, or is great. Listeners can stay out of music creating and musicians can stay out of music commenting. It's the musicians who must refrain from commenting!

SoulStrut dudes only ever get their feelings hurt when they identify with the artist--when he, like them, is some sort of aspiring beatmaker. If the fudgemonk's medium of choice was folk music, we wouldn't be getting any of these spittle-flecked declarations that YOUARENOTANARTISTHEISDOINGITBIGHAVEFUNONTHESIDELINESHOWDAREYOUCRITCIZEHIM.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    That said: know that I am here to make wine of your tenderberries, by first crushing them beneath my feet, and then allowing them to ferment in the metaphorical basement for several years.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Rey...

opinions are subjective. i think some of the latin you big up isn't very good, but wouldn't bother telling you. why would you care that i don't agree with your opinion about someone else's music?

also, if you're a musician nowadays, you're probably playing the roll of engineer and producer as well, and i think an accomplished engineer's opinion is actually a little more valuable than an average lister's.

i make music and i feel like my opinions have just as much validity as yours.

SoulStrut dudes only ever get their feelings hurt when they identify with the artist--when he, like them, is some sort of aspiring beatmaker. If the fudgemonk's medium of choice was folk music, we wouldn't be getting any of these spittle-flecked declarations that YOUARENOTANARTISTHEISDOINGITBIGHAVEFUNONTHESIDELINESHOWDAREYOUCRITCIZEHIM.

Let me help you out.

I've said three thing in this thread

1 - I got high and enjoyed the hell out of that new joint
    2 - kid is a promising young dude - I dig his shit, fuck the haters
    3 - some of these commenters are kinda like crabs with their steez.

And rest assured all of it was pretty much in cold blood. Not to say I havent been amused though.

• after reading pages of arguments over the merits of opinion, i decided it would be post-post-modern to offer my own. take it as you wish:

at about 1 minute in, i yawned, and moved on to the next page to read the ensuing back and forth - they were more exciting than the song.

my 7th post, now who wants to fight about what i said? im bored at work.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    BAN

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It's your 9th.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    They who are so shook as to only post nine times in four years ? verily thine are the most tender berries of all.