Rare German Funk 45 My Bachelor of Fine Arts

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
OK, this will take me a bit longer but I definitely want to share this with you.Remember the "Secret Squirrel Funk 45" I posted about 3 months ago asking around if anybody knew what it is?

So, sorry about playing dirty in the beginning with the phony squirrel but I wouldn't haved worked another way. I hope this was a little interesting to read and forgive me some spelling errors etc.

Comments

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    BONER BEAT HEADZ KNOW THE DEAL

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    fantastic fucking story man, and i dig your interview setup.

ill take two BTW, where/when can i get 'em?

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    fantastic fucking story man, and i dig your interview setup.

Thanks, I wish those mics were mine but they are just borrowed from the university.

ill take two BTW, where/when can i get 'em?

I haven't got a working e-commerce solution for this and so far no major distributer so basically you can get them directly from me.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Nice story and well done job. Congrats!

Please, let me know how I can steal two copies of your hands.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Sounds great, I'd like one or two as well please!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    And Grope said there was no German funk.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    how many times did you need to run to the bathroom during that interview????

we can probably use a couple for the shop. i'll talk to mr. paychizzle

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Great story.

I'll gladly take a copy off your hands, too. Great track! Me and a friend used to discuss doing represses of Swedish funk tracks. Too lazy to do anything more than talk, though...

• lazolalazola 23 Posts
    wow. truly amazing...and fonky as hell! I'd be interested in a copy as well.

Thank you for appreciating this project. I'll be most happy to hand everybody who wishes a copy and I know the boys from Take 5 will be tripping if I tell them their record is ordered from overseas.
    They were a coverband originally doing versions of classic soul like Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett and Sam & Dave. There wasn't an urge to do original compositions. Only when they were asked to contribute to the 7inch, they had to come up with some original material, which all had to happen within two weeks. So they did it on the fly, recorded both songs in 4 hours studio time and that was it. They never got much feedback on the two songs and kept working on the cover versions. Nobody of the people involved gave much importance to that record. It's great to see how their work gets respected 40 years later.

So OK, as I'm not professionally doing this I guess I consider this thread as some kind of ordering list. I still have to figure out how shipping fees are for 7inches to Europe and worldwide. Also have to get me some packaging material and so on. Then I will have to work on it one by one slowly as the "Real World" is pretty challenging for me at the moment too.
    I already can say that the 7inch is coming in a yellow sleeve as seen in the youtube clip and will be available for 6,99 ?. A little patience will be necessary but I still have enough of them records sitting around in my room.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    not crazy about the remix, but the boner band stuff is sounding great! congrats on completing the academics and having fun with it

digging lives!!

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Is there any chance to hear your feature before it will be broafcasted? I'm really curious!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Great story Che

And nice tracks too.

Put me down for a couple please.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    dope story. would love to get a copy

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I wouldnt mind getting a copy too....

Can you PM me the details etc?

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    I'll take one as well...Great stuff!

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    I wouldnt mind getting a copy too....

Sign me up too

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

trippin'! bored?

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Grope!

check ur inbox mr relissue

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    R*****,

so glad you finally accomplished this! Need to drop by again. Please to let me/us know when this feature will be aired! And also count me in for a copy! Will be stored right next to my OG...

I really hope that feature will be aired at all. Won't be anytime soon because german public broadcast works slowly. I'll announce when it's happening.

So far I'm pretty happy about so many people wanting a copy. I just ordered a stack of 45 shipping cartonage so I'm working on it.
    Sent the Take 5 members their copy of the 45 and the feature on Monday. Now I'm curious to know how they like it.

• lefunkmoblefunkmob 28 Posts
    I'll take two please

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

trippin'! bored?

Just to complete the Take 5 story: The group broke up shortly after the "Bonner Beat Bands"-EP. The bassplayer Walter Kettmann and the singer Walter Stremmel moved to another band called "The Guards" which was already big in Bonn before.

The Guards were doing cover versions of popular songs by the The Kinks, Beatles etc. Interesting fact is, that Take 5 were doing a studio session at Saarbr?cken Broadcast (SR) which couldn't be released under the original bandname because they had already split up, so the session was released as another 45 under the Guards name. This 45 is even harder to turn up. A side is a version of "I Put A Spell On You" and the flip is another composition of Take 5 - Keyboarder Niggi Lehmann.

The version of "I Put A Spell..." entered big in the swiss popcharts and brought The Guards an appearance in the first swiss colour TV show ever aired. Unfortunately there is no recording of that.

(All the pictures are taken from the website bn-beat.de which is the work of the Bonn beatscene annalist Klaus Berger, whom I also interviewed for the feature. Much much great material can be found there.)

• I wouldnt mind getting a copy too....

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

trippin'! bored?

i can't see your funny picture. please send via pm.

trippin'! bored?

It's you giving out false funk information: "there probably is no German Funk. Memphis Black comes closest..." (Grope).

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

trippin'! bored?

It's you giving out false funk information: "there probably is no German Funk. Memphis Black comes closest..." (Grope).

i meant to say that you probably have a lot of time to waste!

i have been putting out false funk information since i've been on soulstrut. it's my mission!