THE LETTER FROM SOLAR

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I knew that Premo was drafted into the existing Gang Starr line-up, but I never knew the two of them went out like Steely Dan and kicked everyone else out of a crew they never even put together.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    "I'm the suppository of Guru's life-story"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    fuck this guy, seriously....

that video is somewhat creepy, and somewhat pre-emptive...

Something super phony about that audio diary shit....

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    Interesting to watch these interviews where they talk about Premier. Personally, I think that Solar had to step back and let Guru answer this question by himself.

• I just listened to "Take It Personal" and--in light of this letter--the first verse sounds like it could be directed at Solar (I know that it predates their relationship by several years, but check it out for yourself.)

I never thought that you would crab me
    Undermine me and backstab me
    But I can see clearly now the rain is gone
    The pain is gone but what you did was still wrong
    There was a few times I needed your support
    But you tried to play me like an indoor sport
    Like racquetball, tennis, pool, whatever
    All I know is you attempted to be clever
    Nevertheless cleverness can't impress
    'Cause now you've been exposed like a person undressed
    'Cause I see through you, I'm the Guru
    Now what you gonna do when I step to you
    And when I pay you back I'll be hurting you
    This ain't no threat so take it personal

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

What I didn't know until yesterday--thanks to Noz--is that there are also at least two recordings from before Guru got down with the crew.

I did hear about that a few years back, but I didn't know that neither Guru or Preme were in the original Gang Starr. That's crazy, magic happens in crazy ways!

Gang Starr used to play all over boston in the late 80's, they seemed to be one of the most active hip hop groups around, i always remember seeing the listing in the newspaper as a kid... they actually played a friend of a friend's bar mitzvah, tho i do not know if this was w/ guru or not...

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Seeing the above interview is making me totally rethink some shit. Guru seems to be with Solar 100% on everything that comes out of his dumb ass mouth. I'm completely confused now. I don't know what to think.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Here's Premo's statement;

http://livefromheadqcourterz.wordpress.c...eith-elam-guru/

and one from Guru's family;

The Elam family wishes to thank the fans of our son/brother/father uncle/nephew/cousin Keith aka GURU for the outpouring of love, concern and support.

Our hearts are broken by the loss of someone we loved so much. GURU was devoted to his young son, who will most keenly feel his absence.

GURU suffered from multiple myeloma for over a year. Accrued complications from this illness led to respiratory failure and cardiac arrest. As a result, GURU was in a coma from mid February until his death and never regained consciousness. Early on the morning of April 19th, he became hypertensive due to low blood pressure. He again went into cardiac arrest and slipped away from us.

GURU died far too young but he was, and we are, proud of all his many legendary musical contributions.

The family is not aware of any foundations established by GURU. We know and understand that countless fans want to express their condolences and love and, to that end, we are planning a memorial event in the near future that will be all-inclusive. Please look for further details from the family as they become available.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts

Supposedly Guru's nephew's statement while Guru was still hospitialized.

http://allradionews.com/2010/03/04/guru-...e-to-read-this/

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm hearing.

It strikes me as unusual for a man in his mid-40s to set about preparing for his death immediately upon receiving a cancer diagnosis. I know cancer can be unpredictable and can affect different people in different ways, but it's no longer the automatic death sentence it was once presumed to be. Certainly, I'd have waited to see how it responded to treatment before deciding to sign control of my life over to a third party. I don't understand why someone in the early stages of cancer would consider the nomination of a health proxy to be a priority in the first place, to be quite honest. Unless it was either terminal or very aggressive.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Y'all need to chill w/ the detective stuff and let shit settle. The story might come out or it wont. Its ok.

This dude Solaar would make a great psycho-analysis case study. His statements read like a cross between a scam and information only released from the dictator of a country.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Y'all need to chill w/ the detective stuff and let shit settle. The story might come out or it wont. Its ok.

Yup...

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    This dude Sola[/b]r[/b] would make a great psycho-analysis case study. His statements read like a cross between a scam and information only released from the dictator of a country.

please not to be confused with the great french MC Solaar.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

Now that wouldn't be very "Soul Strut" of us. You should be Cape Crusading this case Batmon. The future of hip-hop is counting on you!

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm hearing.

It strikes me as unusual for a man in his mid-40s to set about preparing for his death immediately upon receiving a cancer diagnosis. I know cancer can be unpredictable and can affect different people in different ways, but it's no longer the automatic death sentence it was once presumed to be. Certainly, I'd have waited to see how it responded to treatment before deciding to sign control of my life over to a third party. I don't understand why someone in the early stages of cancer would consider the nomination of a health proxy to be a priority in the first place, to be quite honest. Unless it was either terminal or very aggressive.

i cant really speak on this, as i have no idea why Guru did what he did. but i can tell you that multiple myeloma is no joke. my mother is currently fighting it. really aggressive form of cancer sadly.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Who will be the first from Soulstrut to punch Solar in his grill send Solar a reprimanding email?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Something just ain't right. Solar is talking like they were married, it don't make sense. Why was Guru so into this dude. I didn't really pay attention to Guru outside of Gang Starr. Did him and Solar have that much history, I mean as far as recorded music, tours, etc??

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Strangely, Solar is a relatively unknown personality in hip-hop, not someone we can make judgments on based on past actions. He?s not as predictable as someone like 50 Cent, who?s face is on YouTube every day. However, an interview from last year with Guru and Solar sheds some light on Solar?s personality. Former HipHopSite contributor and PhilaFlava webmaster, Jason Gloss, interviewed the duo in 2009, in which the author states that before the interview, ?I was also informed that Guru requests no questions about Gang Starr or DJ Premier.? Gloss, being the tough interviewer that he is, stands his ground, and the results were not pretty, as you can hear in the clip below.

Starting around the 13:30 mark, Gloss touches upon the subject of Solar (?a positive brother?, as he describes himself) being compared to DJ Premier (without mentioning his name), which sends Solar into a wildly defensive tirade of anger, giving us a glimpse of the producer?s need to control the situation. Gloss fights back and suggests that he was not trying to suggest negativity, hate, or anything else, but just was wondering if he felt pressure following in the footsteps of a certain producer that came before him. Obviously, he does.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Something just ain't right. Solar is talking like they were married, it don't make sense. Why was Guru so into this dude. I didn't really pay attention to Guru outside of Gang Starr. Did him and Solar have that much history, I mean as far as recorded music, tours, etc??

Much of this makes no sense and it's lead to a lot of rampant speculation, none of credible, let alone confirmed.

The most common belief is that Solar "had something on Guru" but again, this is based on speculation rather than anything concrete. I tend to think there's some other shoe waiting to drop but I have no idea what that would be.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

The most common belief is that Solar "had something on Guru" but again, this is based on speculation rather than anything concrete. I tend to think there's some other shoe waiting to drop but I have no idea what that would be.

That's exactly what it sounds like. Is anyone doubting that it was cancer and not, maybe the BIG FLU ??

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Much of this makes no sense and it's lead to a lot of rampant speculation, none of credible, let alone confirmed.

Yes. I know what you mean.

Good-hearted, intelligent people make bad choices all the time, and for a myriad of reasons, when it comes to friendships, business ventures and relationships. Guru, for all his incredible talents, accomplishments and contributions was not necessarily immune to this.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Why did the Germans follow Hitler? Why did hundreds of people follow Jim Jones and drink the kool-aid? Not saying the Guru/Solar thing is remotely close to those situations, but people do lots of thing that you would think is irrational or makes no sense. Unless you know facts, its a waste of time bringing up all of this innuendo.

Props to Premo and Guru's family for handling this with class.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    But it's never a waste of time to bring up Hitler.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Godwin's Law vindicated!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    ?Guru didn?t write that letter. He?s been in a coma for over 2 months?.word?

?DJ Scratch via twitter

• Solar wasn't a popular DJ, and he's still not.