THE LETTER FROM SOLAR

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm not gonna speak on anything *suspect*, but there was some Dr. Mindbender thing going on when I was with them. Guru was nothing but nice. We talked about our kids, music, etc., but Solar treated everyone around him - including me - like shit. It got to the point where I almost walked out on the gig for the sheer disrespect dude was giving. I don't want to get too into this out of respect for Guru, but trust me when I say there was something not right with that whole situation (and not on a *suspect* tip).

• It's a fucking shame, man.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn d, you saying there was some kind of mental pimpery or something? brainwashing? couldnt guru have just been trying to forge a new path, independent of preem and have belief in his heart that solar was dope? not to diss guru, but just cause primo's tracks were amazing, doesnt mean guru had good taste in finding amazing tracks himself. thereve been a lot of greaet mcs who have rhymed over some caca that they swore was good.

regardless.guru definitely earns a statue in the mc hall of fame. nothing tarnishing that.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    fuck solar what is he thinking ?

The cunt just wants to control everything so he can get paid off Guru.

Seriously someone needs to put Solar in a coma.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    fuck this guy, seriously....

that video is somewhat creepy, and somewhat pre-emptive...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i am wondering what is going to go down with the funeral? in time of death who ultimately says what kind of services will be held?

if Keith's family was supposedly not allowed in a hospital room how can we expect him to have a proper memorial and burial/cremation whatever is done...??

also if there is a public service how does that go about with the presence of Solar and everybody else?

i picture it being a complete clusterfuck...

these are just thoughts that come to mind

According to Harry Elam, Keith's older brother, Keith's supposed to be cremated and there'll be public memorial on his birthday, July 17th.

The Solar shit is going be...well...interesting.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I just hope KRS-One shows up at the service.

• I just hope KRS-One shows up at the service.

hell yes!!

finally a worthwhile place for KRS to focus his energetic preachery

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Absolutly unforgivable.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    vile shit.

RIP GURU.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    A non-scientific yet illuminating analysis of the alleged Guru letter.

A non-scientific yet <a href="http://twitpic.com/1h651b">illuminating</a> analysis of the alleged Guru letter.

there it is.

A picture's worth 1000.

fuckin asshole.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I think Mister Cee handled it really well when he said never let anyone tell you, you can't show love or respects for someone that you care about. Real words right there.

Yeah, needless to say there's been plenty more unsavoury speculation along the lines of what was circulating after Guru's hospitalisation came to light. I'm not going to address it directly because everyone knows what I'm talking about and, in any event, I couldn't care less about the details. But I will say this much; there are people out there trying to twist aspects of this story to make them fit particular pet stereotypes and assumptions about hip-hop (and black people too, for that matter), but it seems to me that the people in a position to know the truth either don't care or have enough respect for Guru's family to avoid speculation.

None of which excuses the mounting evidence which suggests that Solar has acted, and continues to act, in a despicable, craven and utterly self-serving manner over the last couple of months.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    To be honest, once I realized what this "letter" was about I didn't even finish reading it. I never liked Solar and always thought Guru was wasting his time fucking with him.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    "Scandalous, money greed and lust
    In this trife life, there ain't nobody you can trust"

• doomdoom 305 Posts

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Solar's response to MTV gets even more sickening:

"I mean, it's ridiculous," he said. "Guru knew this time would come. The great artist he is, us being intelligent people, we knew there was going to have to be a statement relating to this. Unfortunately, there are those who have the wicked agenda, and just can't accept that Guru and I have handled this thing as men and not children, and this is how men of honor handle their business. He arranged his press release. I'm the repository of Guru's life story. I recorded his life story for book and for movies. We're not foolish. He was diagnosed with cancer well over a year ago. It's been operations and so forth. It would be ridiculous for him to not be prepared."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1637485/20100420/gang_starr.jhtml

So he's already setting himself up as the go to man for movie/book deals?

Disgusting.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    shit is despicable
    but karma or bumpy knucks will get him

"I'm the repository of Guru's life-story" Yeah, you hear that, everyone? Me. ME. MEMEMEMEMEMEME.

Who'd read a Guru biog written by that clown? Five chapters on Jazzmatazz Vol. 4 and Lost and Found, and a page on everything from No More Mr. Nice Guy through The Ownerz? You can miss me with that, jack.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I was wondering why in the "letter" there was constant mention of Jazzmatazz Vol.4 so I did a search and read the LP cover....Solar produced it. It is self apparent that Solar wrote that "letter". Out of all of Guru's work.. I mean stuff that is considered classic hip hop done under the Gang Starr moniker why mention something to the likes of Jazzmatazz 4? Solars trying to get a stake in the game by giving himself unearned props reminds of Benzino and the Made Men fiasco.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

?As the sole founder of GangStarr, I am very proud of what GangStarr has meant to the music world and fans.?

Wouldn't you expect Guru to know how to spell Gang Starr ?

Bumpy Knuckles just snapped:

http://twitter.com/BumpyKnuckles

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Bumpy Knuckles just snapped:

http://twitter.com/BumpyKnuckles

My war is so tight, my drama so ill
    Beef with me hangs around like a unpaid bill

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    shit is despicable
    but karma or bumpy knucks will get him

I'm hoping it's karma in the form of Bumpy Knucks. What a terrible, terrible person Solar is.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

?As the sole founder of GangStarr, I am very proud of what GangStarr has meant to the music world and fans.?

I would also expect him to know that he wasn't actually a founding member of the group.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

I would also expect him to know that he wasn't actually a founding member of the group.

Wasn't Guru teamed up with Preme for Gang Starr by a 3rd party?? That's what I always thought.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    This whole Solar bit is really messed up for the obvious reasons but also it's taking away from the world really being able to deal with Guru's death. It's over shadowing what's really at hand, that we lost one of the greats. Gang Starr meant so much to all us real hip-hop heads. No matter what bullshit "rap" was out there we always had Gang Starr at the end of the day. We knew that they would always bring the heat these other wack artists lacked. I think Solar is accomplishing exactly what he set out to do. The best way to deal with this fool is to ignore his wack ass!!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Wasn't Guru teamed up with Preme for Gang Starr by a 3rd party?? That's what I always thought.

I think they met in the Wild Pitch offices.

There's a substantial body of pre-Primo Gangstarr work, including much of No More Mr. Nice Guy.

What I didn't know until yesterday--thanks to Noz--is that there are also at least two recordings from before Guru got down with the crew.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

What I didn't know until yesterday--thanks to Noz--is that there are also at least two recordings from before Guru got down with the crew.

I did hear about that a few years back, but I didn't know that neither Guru or Preme were in the original Gang Starr. That's crazy, magic happens in crazy ways!