THE LETTER FROM SOLAR

Comments

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    So Guru didnt empower Solar at all? Guru is a %100 a victim?

I think to me, the whole story is tragic, partially because Guru DID empower Solar. It was a dysfunctional relationship and both men contributed to it.

I'm not sure I follow your point here. Are you suggesting that it all evens out or something?

Im just questioning the Guru is the victim/Sloar is the evil mastermind controller thingy.

How can one accurately hatt Solar if Guru enabled dude?

So we shouldn't dislike abusers since their victims might have enabled them? I'm really not trying to put words in your mouth here but the logical end of what you're saying is a bit perturbing.

I agree.

So u both know the entire story?

Uh...I never claimed to know the entire story. I am responding to your statement that one's dislike for the abuser is unjustified when the victim enabled them.

Is it possible for you not to avoid backing up your points by responding with questions?

I dont know the entire story to hatt yet . I didnt use "abuser".

• trying to fool the public is quite a trick. the internets a crazy place.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I dont know the entire story to hatt yet .

But your point wasn't that you don't know the entire story. Your point was that if Guru "enabled" Solar (your words, not mine), then it should logically mean that Solar doesn't deserve to be disliked.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I get it...Solar abusing Guru was wrong so let's encourage Bumpy Knuckles to abuse Solar

I dont know the entire story to hatt yet .

But your point wasn't that you don't know the entire story. Your point was that if Guru "enabled" Solar (your words, not mine), then it should logically mean that Solar doesn't deserve to be disliked.

I disagree w/ the violent threats along Guru/Good Guy & Solar/Bad Guy spin.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Lucious is just salty that it was a Boston carpetbaggeur that came to Brooklyn and defined the 90's New York rap sound.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    See, why did y'all just spur me to google "Solar punched Guru" which is something I had yet to hear? I don't even want to know that shit. Yeah, if it's a man physically abusing a woman then hell yes, let's air that out over the assumption that the man wields some sort of overwhelming physical advantage over the woman. But 2 grown men? And the "victim" being someone who became known as a member of a rap group called Gang Starr? C'mon now...that makes it even more a case of none of our business than I previously thought when I was just considering it to be a mere inheritence dispute. Y'all really want to see more dirt dug up on this obviously seedy relationship? All it's going to do is tarnish the good music and good vibes Guru did leave behind.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    So has Guru been with women or what?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

he has a son right?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    woman or man, i dont think it matters all that much. when someone is in an abusive relationship, that shit is fucked up. sure, victims should stand up or get out of the situation. but theres almost always a mental side to it that is the hardest battle for the victim to win. thats where they get beat first.
    from what it appears, solar got in guru's head and exerted a lot of control over his life. cutting of his friends and family, taking his cell phone from him, guilt tripping him, rationing his damn erb! guru appears to have even gone along and been helpless to get out of the situation. he was getting physically beaten by this dude!!

it dont matter to me that its gang starr, or that its two men, or that theyre black, or that i phillies are cool but they burn much quicker....abusive people are assholes and deserve to be treated as such.

i dont need the whole story to have that opinion. i'm not judge or jury. i'm commenting on what ive read. it is the publics business if solar, premier, label secretary, bumpy knuckles and guru fam are going public and airing it out as such

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    CAPTAIN SAVE A JOE

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I thought this was none of your business, Harvey?

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    This is just an incredibly bizarre situation and truly sad for all involved.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    CAPTAIN SAVE A JOE

Wow. That's in poor taste even for you.

• egotrip

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

"It takes two to tango"

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    CAPTAIN SAVE A JOE

Wow. That's in poor taste even for you.

Why do you have all that anti-Harvey sentiment pent up like that?

"It takes two to tango"

Yall need evidence from a public official or something to see the picture?

• blaqoutblaqout 11 Posts
    I get it...Solar abusing Guru was wrong so let's encourage Bumpy Knuckles to abuse Solar

Pretty much, yeah..

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts

he has a son right?

he has a son like Elroy.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    great work on this thread dudes

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

he has a son right?

he has a son like Elroy.
    I think hip hop is ready for a discreet, Morrissey-style bisexual legend.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey,

While raising this "sexuality" question is indeed inappropriate given Guru's tragic demise, actually, I understand the logic underlying it. Considering traditional male sex roles, it is probably difficult for most men to rationalize why one man would allow another man to physically abuse him. Two such rationalizations that readily come to mind are (a) fear and/or (b) involvement in an intimate relationship of some nature. Add to this attributional ambiguity Guru's reputation as a fairly "tough guy," then it becomes even more puzzling as to why he allowed himself to be abused.

Personally, I don't have a position on the matter, nor do I care about "why" it happened. Suffice it to say I feel it shouldn't have happened. Notwithstanding all of this, I hold great respect for Guru and the music legacy he has left for hip-hop fans worldwide.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Faux, to be fair Bumpy personally has been vowing to avenge this for almost a month now on Twitter.

AND calling for people to do the same when they see him.

Or maybe he just meant his white followers.

He's a man in grief.

None of that excuses the behavior of SoulStrut dudes.

Ummm are you hyper sensitive or just bored. I must have missed the thread where this turned into a bunch of predominately white posters calling for a lynching of a black man.
    Some foul shit went down. People are understandably upset and angry.
    Yes this is the internet and certain things people say are exaggerated and they would never say in real life but if anyone deserves some bad shit happening to them, then it is this fucktard Solar.

Hey,

While raising this "sexuality" question is indeed inappropriate given Guru's tragic demise, actually, I understand the logic underlying it. Considering traditional male sex roles, it is probably difficult for most men to rationalize why one man would allow another man to physically abuse him. Two such rationalizations that readily come to mind are (a) fear and/or (b) involvement in an intimate relationship of some nature. Add to this attributional ambiguity Guru's reputation as a fairly "tough guy," then it becomes even more puzzling as to why he allowed himself to be abused.

Personally, I don't have a position on the matter, nor do I care about "why" it happened. Suffice it to say I feel it shouldn't have happened. Notwithstanding all of this, I hold great respect for Guru and the music legacy he has left for hip-hop fans worldwide.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

According to Tasha's accounts, it says he did fight back. But that Guru also had asthma, which may have limited him in doing so.

why he allowed himself to be abused.

Obviously speculating, but Guru was essentially working for Solar right? It makes sense for a man of Guru's character to take some abuse (whether physical or emotional) to be loyal to someone who helped him out at one point, and to also maintain a livelihood for him and his son. I think this is what Tasha was referring to in that interview (link is down right now).

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Man Fuck Solar straight up and down. And yes, I do hope something bad happens to him. I normally don't wish harm on people, but this dude deserves whatever he gets.
    And let's be serious, nobody is truly wishing for his death. This is venting after reading that interview and watching everything go down. This whole situation has made a lot of people sad and angry.

I don't care about what happens to Solar. He seems like a real foul dude based on the available evidence.

I am speaking on a bunch of white dudes sitting at their keyboards talking about this Black person should beat up that Black person.

I find the remarks more distasteful to the extent that they pertain to Freddie Foxx than I do to the extent that they pertain to Solar. Again: he's a real person, not an action figure.

What I would actually like to see would be for some hip-hop journalists to dig into this and uncover the story. It's a shame that there really aren't any.

I think your stretching shit a bit too far. If you follow Bumpy on Twitter you will see he's been driving the #FUCK SOLAR campaign alot, even before Guru passed away.

And Bumpy Knuckles has created a bit of an image as a stand over hard man in Hip Hop (whether its real or not) so you can't blame ppl for assuming based on his comments and rimes/stage persona that he would be doing something to Solar.

My disbelief is why nothing happened before. Male or Female if I found oput a friend of mine was being controlled and abused by someone else, Id step in. Why did ppl leave Guru alone in that situation? Where was all his friends?

I do agree with you on the journalist investing the shit more in depth...and Solar should be stopped from profitiing from Guru which i think is his main aim.

the rest is all talk, cus if someone was gonna fuck up Solar they would have done it by now.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Speaking of Bumpy, where is that thread about the story of when he choked the dude out at a certain NY store for selling Pete Rock a record for more expensive than it was worth?

• Where was all his friends?

If you'd read the Tasha interview linked above, you'd know that Solar kept Guru's friends at a distance.