Did Common ever make a better record than this

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Water For Chocolate > One Day It Will All Make Sense > Resurrection > Can I Borrow A Dollar

resurrection is probably my favourite Common song, but LWFC is one of my favourite albums period, I have never tried to hide i am a big fan of the soulquarians, and i think no one stepped a foot wrong on that lp, where as i find myself drifting off halfway through resurrection i still have a copy of LWFC in my stacker in the car, the only other cd that has been in there that long is Mamma's Gun, call me a dick rider if you will, but both of those albums seem to be the perfect balance for me

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Pat is still the moistest!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    both of those albums seem to be the perfect balance for me

I lived in Philly / was involved in the "scene" at the time that pretty much gave birth to those two albums. Add "Fantastic Vol. 2" and of course "Voodoo" and there you go. The pinnacle of Soulquarians. It was a hell of a time, man...

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts

Dope remix holmes.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Resurrection is a much better record than Can I Borrow A Dollar.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I listened to LWFC first. Definitely one of my favorite hip-hop records of all time. Resurrection didn't do much for me after I listened to LWFC.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't think the squeaky voice shit is corny... young, yes.

I really don't ride for LWFC like some of you guys.

• I hatt B.O.B.

Is it even Hip Hop?

This jumbo is good to the head.

THank you. Fast rap and electric guitars are not wow.

• I listened to LWFC last week and found the first half to be aiiight and the latter half to be a self-indulgent snooze fest. You mean you guys ride for A song Called Pimp? Payback is a Grandmother? No Way.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I really do love the LWFC album and In a sense fully recognize the status of the album
    it was the full realization of that movement
    but...
    I still prefer resurrection

• I don't think the squeaky voice shit is corny... young, yes.

I was one of only two people I knew who really rode for "Can I Borrow a Dollar" when it came out. I think I bought it on tape, CD and vinyl. File me under "slightly corny and definitely young," too. Something about that record, though. I'll always love it.

Of course, I lost my goddamn mind when "Resurrection" came out.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    You mean you guys ride for A song Called Pimp? Payback is a Grandmother? No Way.

Yes Way.

Grandmother is a good story.

Pimp is entertaining.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    please tell me im not the only one who thinks putting anything before resurrection is pure madness

LWFC was a pinnacle, it was that fully realized album. I know a lot of dudes love to dismiss anything that came from the apex of the "neo soul" era but that rap album (along with "Fantastic Vol.2" and arguably "Stankonia") are the records that really capture that time too.
    Like Water was a Roots album !
    Common = Resurrection.
    He did a couple of good track before and after but he's too influenced by the people he hangs around, and hangin around Erykah Badu, ?uest or Kanye is never a good thing.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "Keep it real son."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    please tell me im not the only one who thinks putting anything before resurrection is pure madness

You're definitely not the only one.

I'm also with Mr. Paycheck on this one: "I really don't ride for LWFC like some of you guys."

• I gave up on Common after I realized that purchasing any album of his (LWFC to the present) just enabled him to write another rhyme about seeing "the world through his daughters eyes" and I can't condone that.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Haha

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    resurection = hungry boy mc
    lwfc = centered man mc

POINT SET MATCH.

Personally, I'd rather listen to "Resurrection" but "LWFC" is the better album (if you're the type to care about a rap ALBUM a rockist).

FIXED!

You mean you guys ride for A song Called Pimp? Payback is a Grandmother? No Way.

Yes Way.

Pimp is entertaining.

Those tracks are both bad. Really bad.

You're definitely not the only one.

I'm also with Mr. Paycheck on this one: "I really don't ride for LWFC like some of you guys."

"Paycheck is a Grandmother"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Why are y'all talking about Common? Yuck, y'all have me doing it now too...dammit.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I thought this was a ghost bump from the days of yore.

Yes Way.

Pimp is entertaining.

^^^^Robbed at gunpoint by an old lady^^^^^

Somedays I take the L to gel with the real world
    Got on at 87th, stopped by this little girl
    She recited raps, I forgot where they was from
    In 'em, she was saying how she made brothers cum
    I start thinking, how many souls Hip-Hop has affected
    How many dead folks this art resurrected
    How many nations this culture connected
    Who am I to judge one's perspective?
    Though some of that shit y'all pop true it, I ain't relating
    If I don't like it, I don't like it, that don't mean that I'm hating
    I just want to innovate and stimulate minds
    Travel the world and penetrate the times
    Escape through rhythms in search of peace and wisdom
    Raps are smoke signals letting the streets know I'm with 'em
    For now I appreciate this moment in time
    Ball players and actors be knowing my rhymes, it's like
    [/b]

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts
    I can appreciate LWFC, but recognize it as an important step down the road of insufferable pretentiousness. Maybe if he didn't turn into such a hollow caricature further down the road there wouldn't be so much hate for that album.

I'm also a sucker for the Ummah production values.

Also, despite his proclaimed enlightened mind state, dude still says all sorts of dumb shit.

"In a circle of faggots, your name is mentioned"

I can appreciate LWFC, but recognize it as an important step down the road of insufferable pretentiousness. Maybe if he didn't turn into such a hollow caricature further down the road there wouldn't be so much hate for that album.

Also, despite his proclaimed enlightened mind state, dude still says all sorts of dumb shit.

Wasnt his playin both sides of the Conscious/Gangsta so very apparent on this album? I dont see the reason to pull a certain lyric out to prove that he was "frontin".

The Pimp song and the Payback shit was evident he wasnt str8 Conscious.

I would also think in lookin at his output, LWFC isnt the point at which you should hatt. Electric Circus is a the obvious album for dudes to hatt.

Yes Way.

Pimp is entertaining.

^^^^^^^^^^

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

Yes Way.

Pimp is entertaining.

^^^^^^^^^^
    "these enable me to see the world thru my daughter's eyes."

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts

Wasnt his playin both sides of the Conscious/Gangsta so very apparent on this album? I dont see the reason to pull a certain lyric out to prove that he was "frontin".

I would also think in lookin at his output, LWFC isnt the point at which you should hatt. Electric Circus is a the obvious album for dudes to hatt.

I guess I don't care for that fence riding. It makes me believe neither his righteousness nor his gangsta.

I guess I don't care for that fence riding. It makes me believe neither his righteousness nor his gangsta.

So after 3 albums ur image of him was shattered because of the "faggot" rhyme?

Or u hatt him now and use his "transformation" to legitimze that hatt?