124»

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i lost interest pretty quickly after resurrection

• i lost interest pretty quickly after resurrection

^^^
    doesn't like teh raps

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts
    i ain't mad at that album but i don't think common's rapps were as strong they were on resurrection. i think LWFC might have been better as a complete package but resurrection to me was when common was still pretty hungry and his performance on it was better

I was glad he graduated from the diddly-diddly rhyme gimmicks.

This is one of the top 5 Common tracks. Non question.

• and yo just today I heard a couple of youngsters, I'm guessing around 20-21, BLASTING "I Used to Love H.E.R." today. I'm not sure what that means but I have to say it was a pleasant seeing the young heads blasting that in a good system.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    thats a good thing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    You mean you guys ride for A song Called Pimp? Payback is a Grandmother? No Way.

Yes Way.

Grandmother is a good story.

Pimp is entertaining.

Those tracks are both bad. Really bad.

^^^^Robbed at gunpoint by an old lady^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^

I have no words.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    and yo just today I heard a couple of youngsters, I'm guessing around 20-21, BLASTING "I Used to Love H.E.R." today. I'm not sure what that means but I have to say it was a pleasant seeing the young heads blasting that in a good system.

It was simply the soundtrack to their shirts.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Common is gay and so are you.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    and yo just today I heard a couple of youngsters, I'm guessing around 20-21, BLASTING "I Used to Love H.E.R." today. I'm not sure what that means but I have to say it was a pleasant seeing the young heads blasting that in a good system.

Nah dude that was me beating down the block you just got confrused of my young dude swag

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts
    I can appreciate LWFC, but recognize it as an important step down the road of insufferable pretentiousness. Maybe if he didn't turn into such a hollow caricature further down the road there wouldn't be so much hate for that album.

I'm also a sucker for the Ummah production values.

Also, despite his proclaimed enlightened mind state, dude still says all sorts of dumb shit.

"In a circle of faggots, your name is mentioned"

Wasnt his playin both sides of the Conscious/Gangsta so very apparent on this album? I dont see the reason to pull a certain lyric out to prove that he was "frontin".

The Pimp song and the Payback shit was evident he wasnt str8 Conscious.

I would also think in lookin at his output, LWFC isnt the point at which you should hatt. Electric Circus is a the obvious album for dudes to hatt.

I guess I don't care for that fence riding. It makes me believe neither his righteousness nor his gangsta.

So after 3 albums ur image of him was shattered because of the "faggot" rhyme?

Or u hatt him now and use his "transformation" to legitimze that hatt?

That was just one example. He also gets misogynistic (you're as bitch as missy), and on some tough guy shit (I catch him in the skreets in front of bodyguards and rush him.) And that's just one song, there's also the aforementioned awful pimp song, and plenty of other nonsense on that album. And it's not about shattering my image of him. It's about a persona and voice that he's moved towards which doesn't seem honest or entertaining. LWFC was an important step in that direction.

"I trick daddy MCs, and I don't know naan, nigga / who can take it where I take it."

This is just a bad look.

"I trick daddy MCs, and I don't know naan, nigga / who can take it where I take it."

This is just a bad look.

I think ur nitpicking is a bad look. If u were to screen Hip Hop w/ these standards u'd end up only liking The Fresh Prince.

This sort of dichotomy comes w/ the territory....imo.

Its the same lame critque dudes like throw out there for Krs-One.

Name an MC/Hip Hop figure that hasnt/doesnt contradicted themselves?

I dont think one or two or three "non-pc" lyrics take away from said MC's body of work.

People tawk like that "Faggots,Honkeys,Bitches,Niggas,Midgets,Unicorns,whatever."

Are u mad at Brand Nubian when they tawk about Devils?

I just meant that that was a terrible line - by any measure of rapping. Which gets closer to the heart of the issue. He could get away with a lot more ignorance if said ignorance was clever or well delivered.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Eight million stories got me runnin' in place!
    It's gettin' tricky... like who!? Like dude that do drum'n'bass![/b]

I call upon you to defend this, Batmon.

Life and death law around us
    Four pounds and pounds a verb from out of towners
    It's hard to stay grounded
    We stay high, thats why old folks down us
    Lost, nobody found us, the force that surrounds us
    Ain't with us, they get us on the ground and hit us
    We paint pictures of the chains under their names and scriptures
    Removed from earth, only to return through birth
    Knew this girl selling her body, wish she knew what it was worth.
    Between God and trash, looking in every car that pass
    With a walk that suggests head, to milk niggaz she was breastfed
    She know dairy so she say cheese to get bread
    In the area where it's more weaves and less dreads
    Kinda scary, amongst thieves and base-heads
    Said it was her toes, but I could tell her soul hurt
    She was cold turk, growing up she got to know hurt
    very well in a world where self hate is overt
    Her step-father that he was ike, so her mother he striked
    she got to like like minded niggaz, who liked crimes and figures
    Doing white lines and liquor, see hard times had kicked her
    In the ass, it used to be thicker
    Life is fast, some choose to be quicker
    I remember in high school she had a passion to sing
    Now she see herself in a casket in dreams
    These are the children of crack and rap, Blacks done lack
    Self-esteem, yo we forgot the dream
    On our Jefferson's y'all but we forgot the theme
    In the Chi, we even rooting for a garbage team
    This queen never seen herself on this Corner
    She still wanna see California
    But this is her world
    [/b]

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts
    1.Resurrection
    2.One Day It'll All Make Sense
    3. Electric Circus or LWFC
    4. Can I Borrow A Dollar
    5. Be
    6. Anything else

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Oof. That rhyme is my worst nightmare squared. That's times two for those who aren't mathematically aware.

• Eight million stories got me runnin' in place!

Oof. That rhyme is my worst nightmare squared. That's times two for those who aren't mathematically aware.

Haha! This thread led me to revisit One Day... and I heard that Canibus tragedy this morning. I was gonna post about "squared" and "that's double for ni**az who ain't mathematically aware." So unfortunate. I think that song alone out-embarrasses Electric Circus.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Haha! This thread led me to revisit One Day... and I heard that Canibus tragedy this morning. I was gonna post about "squared" and "that's double for ni**az who ain't mathematically aware." So unfortunate. I think that song alone out-embarrasses Electric Circus.

Canibus is an animal with a mechanical mandible![/b]

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I can appreciate LWFC, but recognize it as an important step down the road of insufferable pretentiousness. Maybe if he didn't turn into such a hollow caricature further down the road there wouldn't be so much hate for that album.

^^^ the truth of this statement was lost in the subsequent conscious-or-ignorant argument.

the album is good but you can see in it the seeds of the kufi embarrassment that dude would eventually become. had he never descended into his current pitiable state, the album - while not totally beyond reproach - would not be the subject of these debates.