Did Common ever make a better record than this

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central

Did he get better since Soul By The Pound?

Comments

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts
    I was stoned and crucified for defending this album on here a while back.

• Did he get better since Soul By The Pound?

He's maintainin'.

Soul By the Pound Remix is one of my favorite songs period.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I was stoned and crucified for defending this album on here a while back.

Well I just meant that song... I think Resurrection is a much better record than Can I Borrow A Dollar. Pound for pound.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Me Still Luv

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Top 20: Common's Greatest Songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNymmiAFV_8

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

I think Resurrection is a much better record than Can I Borrow A Dollar. Pound for pound.

True.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    resurrection is close to flawless (tails off a lil at the end). soul by the pound seemed to set him up/hype him up to be able to make that record. can i borrow a dollar was cool but he was a little too hyped and goofy

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Well, honestly you know I F*ck with "Like Water For Chocolate" - but I'm from Philly, so you know... Funny though cause I was just listening to "Take It Easy" earlier today. I don't have that album.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    CHANGE "DID" IN THE TITLE TO "WILL"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah but those songs don't F*ck with "Take It EZ". Maybe "Resurrection". Maybe.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Water For Chocolate > One Day It Will All Make Sense > Resurrection > Can I Borrow A Dollar

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yeah i kinda think he peaked around LWFC to be honest, & i was into resurrection first

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Water For Chocolate > One Day It Will All Make Sense > Resurrection > Can I Borrow A Dollar
    One Day It Will All Make Sense > Resurrection > Can I Borrow A Dollar > Water For Chocolate

I just find myself returning to One Day & Resurrection way more these days.

The Light is that SHIT!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    please tell me im not the only one who thinks putting anything before resurrection is pure madness

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The Light is that SHIT!
    Great, now you've mentioned it, I'm gonna have the catchy sung part of that in my head for the rest of the afternoon...

The Light is that SHIT!
    Great, now you've mentioned it, I'm gonna have the catchy sung part of that in my head for the rest of the afternoon...

hahaha....

U dont know how many times I rocked this whole album out + the instramental.

please tell me im not the only one who thinks putting anything before resurrection is pure madness

It depends.

For me he grew up/expanded but also grabbed cues from the Native Toungues steez. So I wasnt totally blown away as far as Hip Hop albums, but the jump from Can I Dollar to Resurrection was HUGE.

I feel like the Water joint was him comin together w/ the SoulAquarians to create somethin new that didnt sound like The Love Movement, or Erykah and them.

Shit im no Dilla dick-rider but Common got laced at the right time...imo.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

LWFC was a pinnacle, it was that fully realized album. I know a lot of dudes love to dismiss anything that came from the apex of the "neo soul" era but that rap album (along with "Fantastic Vol.2" and arguably "Stankonia") are the records that really capture that time too.

it was that fully realized album.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i ain't mad at that album but i don't think common's rapps were as strong they were on resurrection. i think LWFC might have been better as a complete package but resurrection to me was when common was still pretty hungry and his performance on it was better

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I love me some LWFC, but I would never put it on the same plateau as Resurrection.
    One of my favorites of all time.

i ain't mad at that album but i don't think common's rapps were as strong they were on resurrection. i think LWFC might have been better as a complete package but resurrection to me was when common was still pretty hungry and his performance on it was better

I was glad he graduated from the diddly-diddly rhyme gimmicks.

resurection = hungry boy mc
    lwfc = centered man mc

• Shit im no Dilla dick-rider but Common got laced at the right time...imo.

Resurrection is my favourite but mainly for personal reasons of when it caught me etc etc

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    lwfc > resurrection > one day > all that other bullshit

I think ya'll should revist BE

• Resurrection>One Day...>Can I Borrow>Like Water...

This is how I always felt about his career..."One Day it will all make since" is slept on, but still can't match "Resurection"..."Can I Borrow..." is a little corny with the squeaky voice flow, but that shit brings back some memories.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    folks hating on his rapss on 'lwfc' need to revisit

'he fell off cuz i pushed him'

but um he was pretty corny on the debut.

'be' is rough ... i dunno. 'go' was so awful. the dilla track was great tho

• LWFC was a pinnacle, it was that fully realized album. I know a lot of dudes love to dismiss anything that came from the apex of the "neo soul" era but that rap album (along with "Fantastic Vol.2" and arguably "Stankonia") are the records that really capture that time too.