Best Finds You've Found For $3 and under

Comments

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    $20 records tend to be worth just about $20, because the person who came up with that price is almost always at least somewhat aware of what he/she has. Anyone who puts a $1-3 price on their records is just trying to move product, so, with the right collection, all bets are off.

I'm almost more amazed at the folks who apparently pull $500 records for $20 at record shows or record stores, than the ones who find $500 records for $1 in the field. I've never even come close to experiencing the former, but the latter happens fairly regularly.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Do you try to tell your significant other about spending out of your budget on records, by telling them, "Look this is why I feel compelled to dig so often...For example I bought this for 3 dollars, it's worth a hundred"
    I know I do.

I don't know how many people (including my lil bro) I've attempted to make them listen to such and such dope record with no reaction. Only to tell them that this other record is worth 50 bucks easy, and they wake up. Money talks..

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Why not make this thread a little more challenging huh? Seeing how we're all record collectors, finding $$$ records for cheap is basically the name of the game.

How about what record from your state or city have you found for under $3

• Best find (which is local) is my mint copy of Zerfas OG press for 99 cents.

• Some local finds:

Messengers Inc. - Soulful Proclomation $1 (when i lived in OKC) still in shrink and possibly sealed

Electromagnets - s/t $1 (in austin)

Maybe my other best was Marva Whitney - It's My Thing LP for $1, but it was kinda beat.

• most of the big money records i find cheap are actually local, probably because i only shop for records at the thrift stores otherwise ebay, anyway these are my top 3

blue kats - be bop a lu la/oh yeah - gaity - 40 cents - rockabilly 45 which i traded for lewis connection

wisdoms - lost in dreams/two hearts make one love - gaity 40 cents - doo wop 45 that i sold for $600

st paul rhythm & blues soul band - queen of my nights/find a way - $1 - nice garage/psych 45, never seen one for sale

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    kpm big beat 2 for free
    buffalo volcanic rock for 50c
    test pressing of soundtrack to les patterson saves the world for 50c

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    My wife says, "I don't care if that record is worth $100, it is worth the quarter you paid for it until you sell it". I never really used to sell anything until recently. But now that I've started selling a few on ebay she's a little more cool with me buying more.

• yeah i'm not all knowing in rap, but i know what's what, and i know what i want just as much as any other genre i'm into. yet for the most part, at places like shows it's all psychological-- usually those guys with a box full of black and white sleeves are the last on people's lists. not so much in the NE corridor though. but like you said, "out of any genre i have found the most hard to get rap records though"

• that said, anybody have stories about rekkids that they left behind and when you went back to get and they were gone. that's the shit nightmares are made of.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    90% of my lp & 12" collection and 99% of my 45's

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    People need to wake up early and hit the fleas/thrifts:

-Youngest Son LP

-Rhon Silva 45

-Dawn & Sunset 45

My whole collection has literally been built on the fleas. Cop shit for cheap, then trade it up for the hott schitt. (Thanks Groove Merchant, et al)

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    100% Pure Poison - Coming Right At You
    Afreaka
    both for $3

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I found every Soultex 45 with the exception of the Gayle Joya (which I still have never heard) for $1.25 a pop.

Okay now your turn. You already make me sick.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I am not a big high-roller as far as spending money on records. Most of my collection I've gotten relatively cheap - no more than $8 for an album, $3 for a single. Not that I haven't broken that rule, I just don't do it often. So I understand the euphoria of buying low. I don't live by the price guides.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I wish $10 to $20 was still "splurging".

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Ehh, not everybody lives around fleas/thrifts overflowing with heat.

I do ok for LP's at yard sales/thrifts. ok. 45's are not anywhere around
    here but in the hands of record stores or private collectors/dealers.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    The two that come to mind right now are:

- San Francisco TKO's "Herm" 45

- Matthew Larkin Cassell - Pieces LP

Most of my records were found for less than $3 though.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Breakwater - No Limit 12" (I wish I got that much for my copy )
    doubles of both Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience
    Rubaiyat of Dorothy Ashby ($4 but shit...)
    Klute - OST
    Phase III 7"
    Jackson Sisters - Miracles 7"
    Sylvia Striplin - Can't Turn Me Away 12" for 2 bucks

etc. etc. etc.

All within 45 minutes from my house. Those days are long gone tho.

• Aussie stuff i picked up on the cheap

Joker is Wild - john Sangster
    Tully-Sea of Joy OSt
    Kahvas Jute- Wide Open
    Kanguru- Dreaming (50 copies)

• rookrook 357 Posts
    kanguru is the shit

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    got "Ultimate Rap" by Nice and Nasty 3 for 3 dollars off a dude in the street 6 weeks back... thought it was like a 50-100 dollar thing, was blown away that it sells for 700 now... might be the 2nd most expensive disco rap 12" after Soul Clap...

• It is a beautiful record.

I ran into one of the musos from the band the other day and he said he has a live recording the band did at Confest (Australia hippy festival) back in late 70's. He said it was recorded by a top engineer on some really good gear and included a bit of dubby delays and effects in the mix.I might see if he was keen to share it with the world and upload it somewhere.

He also wants to sell me his records.

• i found 3 of those for under $3 in deifferent places the last couple years.
    $700 is extra high end.
    i sold one on ebay for $400 and one privately between $200-250, which seeems more reasonable considering how often it turns up. correct me if im wrong.ive had it on lists before for 250 and it hasnt moved.

also got all the ESG records for a buck
    24 karat for a dollar
    1619 badass band for fifty cent

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    beginning of the end - 'funky nassau' - part 1 & 2 - 45b,121b,121

• haha

• 20 copies of Manzel - Space Funk for $2 apiece late last year.

3-4 copies of Funky 16 Corners in various conditions, $1 apiece, from the same place.

You're either paying less than $3 or your paying market price. There seems to be nothing in between.

• thats craaaaazy

i dont know about the nothing in between thing...maybe that would be a better thread??

s.o.u.l.-can you feel it (mint) $20
    countdown to kusini (sealed) $10
    time capsule (sealed) $10
    solomon king soundtrack $15

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

A lot of my collection was bought on the cheap (back in the 80s and early 90s). Here are some highlights:

-"Games, Dames, and Guitar Thangs"-Eddie Hazel
    -"Excursions"-Eddie Harris
    -"S/T"-S.O.B.
    -"Investigation #1"-Carl "Sherlock" Holmes
    -"S/T" and "Songs"-Rotary Connection
    -"S/T"-Ripple
    -"S/T"-Eddie Fisher and the Last 100 Years
    -"S/T"-Shades of Joy
    -"Stop and Go"-Bohannon

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak