Comments

• Almost all of my latin collection.

Latinaires-Camel Walk
    Lat-teens-Buena Gente
    Coco Lagos-Descargas
    Acid
    El malo

Blah blah blah

When in Ny talk friendly to your cab driver.

• I went to this antique shop i go to sometimes and the old man who owns the shop
    a. has occasional crates of hott records
    and
    b. is a big flirt
    he is harmless and adorable and walks with a limp and feeds the birds that come to his doorway.
    anyway he had that tom scott honeysuckle breeze shit MONO and he's no dummy and he knew it was worth dough and i asked him how much it was and he was like going on and on about how this record was gonna cost me hundreds blah blah. he would not tell me how much he wanted for this record, he was trying to be all mysterious, it was kind of annoying yet charming,
    so i just sat there and talked with him for a long time, about life and how everything is everything for what seemed like 2 hours and finally i said you're not gonna sell me that record are you? you're not gonna even tell me how much you want for it are you? and he said "you know what?"... "i want to just give it to you."
    what?
    yep. and i would have paid up for that album too, because though i wanted it for a long time i never sweated finding it before, i was unwilling to go to the 'bay etc, i was waiting for it to come to me because i find surprises far more intriguing than easy buys.

twas a gift, and all i had to do was just hang out and shoot the breeze.
    and don't talk shit because you all know you have harmlessly flirted your way into getting a free record, or at least a discount.
    ..... the hunt brings out the cunning within the lioness or in most of your cases the lion.

I have no problem with getting to know the right folks for the right deals, but when you gotta go through all this Wild Kingdom cunning-hunter-on-the-prowl shit, I'm like: HELLO, REISSUE. i aint jumping through hoops to get a cracker!

(although I aint gonna lie, I've been laced with good shit just cause I did somebody a solid, so I partially agree w/AKallDay's post)

• El malo

I got my El Malo for under $3, as well.

It helped that the Latin-boogaloo thing hadn't really been revived in the US at the time (1992). And used Fania records weren't common back then, but when they did turn up they didn't cost much.

If that same store got that same record today, I'm sure it would be a hell of a lot more than $2.99.

• first to come to mind...

Soul Incorporated - My Proposal - 10 cents
    Ceasar Frazier - 70 - $1
    Del Jones - Positive Vibes (w/o the horns)- $1

whoa nelly!!!!! you know how not often that del jones dont turn up?!?!?!!!
    you got it in philly for a buck too! good work guy. id love to hear that story.
    ive had the africa issue half dozen times (4 for a $1 on differnet occasions) but had to trade a crate of records to get the no horn one. double . just when i think no ones looking in this town.

i think the horn issue sounds better though.

whats soul incorporated?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    whats soul incorporated?

blue-eyed soul 45 from MI thats worth about 3K

• minimini 879 Posts

LPs
    Lightnin Rod: Hustlers convention
    Jimmy Smith: Blacksmith
    Papa Finnigan & Junior Ranking: Two the hard way

Singles
    Senator Jones: Miniskirt dance/ Sweet thing
    Rufus Thomas: The funky bird/ Boogie ain??t nuttin?? (but getting down)
    Rupie Edwards: Buckshot/ Rupie all stars: Buckshot dub

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Miles Davis Kind of Blue (80's press. I hipped Yuichi to this.)

70S PRESS BITCH.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

and don't talk shit because you all know you have harmlessly flirted your way into getting a free record, or at least a discount.

Not me--when I flirt, the price goes up, not down.

• minimini 879 Posts

Wild Style soundtrack
    The Thing with Two Heads soundtrack
    Merit Hemmingson: Trollskog

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    tom scott honeysuckle breeze shit STEREO
    copped that for $5, not quite $3 but I'll take it; no flirting involved.

• some I remember from the 90s:
    Newban - Same $2.50
    Madcliff - Same $2.50
    Frank Dell - Yesterday's People $2.50
    Pharaohs - Awakening $1

and one I'll never will forget in 2007 (unfortunately not under $3):
    Ricardo Marrero - A Taste of (TSG) for $8.99

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    first to come to mind...

Soul Incorporated - My Proposal - 10 cents
    Ceasar Frazier - 70 - $1
    Del Jones - Positive Vibes (w/o the horns)- $1

whoa nelly!!!!! you know how not often that del jones dont turn up?!?!?!!!
    you got it in philly for a buck too! good work guy. id love to hear that story.
    ive had the africa issue half dozen times (4 for a $1 on differnet occasions) but had to trade a crate of records to get the no horn one. double . just when i think no ones looking in this town.

i think the horn issue sounds better though.

whats soul incorporated?

The Del Jones actually came from a shop out in Coatesville... they rarely get new stuff in but when they do, theres always something worth scooping up. Got a sealed Dolemite there as well.

4 for a $1 ?!?! thats crazy... PLUS the rufus harley(s)? damn.

The Soul Incorporated is a northern soul 45. Pretty good tune, but I couldn't hold on to it... http://www.popsike.com/Rare-Northern-Soul-Soul-Incorporated-My-Proposal-45/150222127825.html

• yeah no kidding...like soulhawk said
    thats crrraaaazy

i used to hit up that coatesville shop. the one with the backroom of records? nice lady running that place.i stopped going cause there was never anythingnew, but i caught some things bitd.

poor coatesville is getting hit hard wit these arsons. you from there?

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    I grew up in Downingtown (right next to Coatesville). My parents still live out there so I'll swing by that shop around the holidays.

The arson thing is getting out of hand... 20 or so fires in the last month?

I was out there about a month ago... really depressing overhearing people talk about their brothers/sisters/parents/cousins or their own experience with the arsons. Hopefully they'll catch that fucker soon...

• Soul Incorporated - My Proposal - 10 cents

I once found a Soul, Inc. single on Laurie ("I Belong To Nobody"/"Love Me When I'm Down"), for a whopping dollar...I don't know if it's the same band as the one mentioned...despite their name, it's not soul at all, just a really good garage-rocker.

• nice modern tune, seems to pretty unknown, saw it on an old sales list while searching the internet, it was listed as a minneapolis record, i just happened to check ebay right after and there was a buy it now copy for $3 so i snatched it up, the record is not from minneapolis as i originally suspected, my copy came from hawaii, other than that i know nothing about it, i think both sides are pretty good though

union pacific - when it was done

union pacific - need your love

union pacific were regulars around the hawaii club circuit in the seventies. they were originally from the mainland u.s., somewhere in the northwest if i remember correctly. that single was recorded in hawaii. there was another release of that single with a blank label and band info on the sleeve.

nice comeup. did you get that this past summer? i remember one on ebay, buy it now for $3 in august. it got swooped before i got a chance to pull the trigger.

need to mint up.

yeah i got it about that time, the seller actually had two listed at the same time and i bought both but it turned out the same record was accidently listed twice, was kind of bummed about that since whoever had it listed on soul source sold it for at least $200, maybe more since they were taking offers and that was the starting bid, anyway it's a great tune, thanks for the info

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I found a minty Cult "The Mail Must Go Through" Sunday for $10 (the G rated cover with the horse, though). I was going to upload it, but I found that a couple of blogs already have one up...

http://www.mediafire.com/?wly4mmonnah

• I found a minty Cult "The Mail Must Go Through" Sunday for $10

...even though this is a "three dollars or less" thread?

• this year

mirror - daybreak
    2 copies of donald austin crazy legs in shrink
    beginning of the end - funky nassau
    poison - on our way to number 1
    soul searchers we the people
    populur music for young people - dutch grail
    don cherry brown rice
    samboa - ze bede
    pim jacobs - come fly with me
    and many more

• soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    You American lads have it too good... up here in Canaduh we flip if we score a Fatback album for under 15$... let alone finding one ANYWHERE other then at Aki's. That said I did find a nice ESG says Dance 12" for a buck on the weekend.

Just plain wrong B. Shopping at Aki's doesn't even count as digging anyways since there's barely any chud to begin with in there and the prices start at way higher than I've paid for any heat ever in my life just for your basic medium rare. Just yesterday I pulled two copies of the Grace Thriller's record produced by Lee Perry out of the dollar bin at Sonic, and an early James Brown, early Aretha, and early Marvin out of the bin at Goodwill.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    found 3 "i believe in miracles" 45s a couple weeks ago for a buck each. all the more wonderful since i barely ever find 45s worth looking through

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    dp

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

1.99 thirft store find

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    $3 finds
    Coke s/t LP
    Meters s/t LP
    Malone & Barnes - "Freedom Serenade" LP
    Heath Bros - "Marchin' On" LP
    All 3 Terry Callier LP's on Cadet

$1 finds
    2 copies of The Whatnauts - "Reaching for the Stars" LP
    Honey & the Bees - "Love" LP
    Sterling Harrison - "One Size Fits All" LP
    Midnight Movers - "Do it in the Road" LP
    2 copies of Kool & the Gang s/t LP
    Lyman Woodard - "Saturday Night Special" LP
    and many, many more......

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    Breez said:
    $3 finds
    Coke s/t LP
    Meters s/t LP
    Malone & Barnes - "Freedom Serenade" LP
    Heath Bros - "Marchin' On" LP
    All 3 Terry Callier LP's on Cadet

$1 finds
    2 copies of The Whatnauts - "Reaching for the Stars" LP
    Honey & the Bees - "Love" LP
    Sterling Harrison - "One Size Fits All" LP
    Midnight Movers - "Do it in the Road" LP
    2 copies of Kool & the Gang s/t LP
    Lyman Woodard - "Saturday Night Special" LP
    and many, many more......

ima shut up now!

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Not as good as Breez's finds but....

Lou Bond s/t 1 sealed and 1 that looked like it was just opened @ 2.25 each
    Lyn Collins - Check Me Out If You Don't Know Me By Now @ 2.00
    RAMP - Come Into Knowledge first copy @ 2.00
    Gwen McRae - S/T on Cat w/o Rockin' Chair @ 2.00
    Chelsea - S/T promo on Decca ( Peter Criss was the Drummer on this record)@ 2.99
    Rhythm - S/T on RCA still sealed @ 1.00
    Lightening - S/T on P.I.P @ .78
    Ramsey Lewis - Sun Goddess still sealed with hype sticker @ 2.99
    The Emotions - Untouched in shrink @ 2.99

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Off the top of my head, one I paid the least for with the best finacial return was Ben & The Platano Group in mint condition for $1.00 on a market stall in Amsterdam, back in 1994.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts

NM for 1.98 at an HPB

0.25 at a local goodwill. it was a recently opened location, with only ~20 records thrown at the bottom of the VHS shelf.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I'm a cheapskate so most everything I buy is $2 or less

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    Knights Bridge - $.25
    The Other Brothers - $.25
    Kool & the Gang - S/T - $1
    J.R. Bailey - Just You N Me - $2
    Nilo Toledo- Jazz in the Sun - $.50
    Jo Jo Smith - Dance Today $.50
    Dorothy Ashby - Dorothy's Harp - $.50
    Pazazz- So Hard to Find $.25
    El Combo Moderno - Arriba $1.20
    ....and so on.