What's Cookin?

Comments

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    Ah yes, we had Risi e Bisi with Goat Cheese for Dinner.
    (Some Italian Risotto with Rice, Peas and goat Cheese).
    easy and great

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Ah yes, we had Risi e Bisi with Goat Cheese for Dinner.
    (Some Italian Risotto with Rice, Peas and goat Cheese).
    easy and great

I make a really good green onion and brie risotto that is perfect in the spring.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    I make a really good green onion and brie risotto that is perfect in the spring.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I roasted a 4lb chicken (free range/organic) the other day.

First I brined it for about 5 hrs or so. Brining keeps the breast moist since that cooks faster than the thigh.

1 gallon water
    1/2 cup sea salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    tablespoon of crushed black peppercorns
    2 crushed cloves of garlic
    dried thyme
    bay leaves

Took it out of the brine, rinsed it out, then dried. Stuffed a cut up lemon, some red onions, a few more cloves of garlic and a few sprigs of time. Then I rubbed the skin of the bird w/ some butter and olive oil.

I roasted it in the oven at about 375 for about an hr and 15 mins. It sat on top of a bed of roasted veg (red potatoes, celery, red onion, carrots). I seasoned those quite simply, just salt/pepper/olive oil/thyme.

I have a picture but it's still on my camera, I'm lazy. I still have the bones leftover, which I plan to make chicken noodle soup with a mexican coke on the side.

i dig cooking whole birds...because I love homeade chicken stock. mexican coke? what's that? coke & tequila???

You really don't need to brine a chicken to roast it. If you're worried it's going to dry out, you can always baste it whilst it's cooking. (just spoon the juices back over the top of the bird) Or if you're lazy, or just busy doing other shit, cover the body with tin foil for the first 3/4 of the cooking time, then remove to let the skin crisp.

Strawberry Risotto with fresh green Pepper (no Bell Pepper - Pepper!) Basil and Parmigino. A nice cold white Wine - Sun - what esle do I have to say?

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Arrived home late last night, so I went the quick and easy route:
    fresh, homemade bread (in 20 minutes):

while that was baking...
    Prosciutto & Melon
    Farro/Grape Tomatoes/Crumbled Feta, with a Clos du Bois Fiume Blanc reserve.
    Desert was a piece of a dark choclate choclate bunny from Abdullahs.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

while that was baking...
    Prosciutto & Melon

minus the ham* - yum! Great summer meal.

*I know melon and prosciutto is a staple, but grilled mushrooms work as a nice substitute.

Back to cornbread for a second:

OK - so are we talking one squeezed lemon? What amount would you suggest?

And how come butter is capitalized? What does "many of it" mean???Is there some new product on the market called Butter that is not actually butter?

I have a cornbread question.

Every recipe I see asks for buttermilk - has anyone made it with something else? Whole milk for example? Or regular milk and another ingredient?
    If I don't use buttermilk - will it be inferior?
    I only got one that uses hot Butter. Many of it. If you don??t have buttermilk you can easyly use milk. Take a little less, but add some melted butter, that will work.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

• LuckLoopLuckLoop 103 Posts
    why dont you just use buttermilk if you have all those doubts?

i think a main reason why they use sour milk in traditionl/old recipes is just because you cant drink that shit anymore. back in the days people where much less wasteful with their stuff especially food.
    i dont like to throw away food so when i have milk at home that's already gotten a little bit sour i dont throw it away, i make pancakes you dont taste it

back to topic; i havent cooked in some days gotta do the dishes first. damn i hat it

tomorrow im gonna make fried seitan with mushrooms green onions and might add some carrots i still got in the fridge. served with basmati rice and salad. looking forward

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

while that was baking...
    Prosciutto & Melon
    Desert was a piece of a dark choclate choclate bunny from Abdullahs.

How did you make bread in 20 minutes? Had it already risen, or was it a quick bread?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i think a main reason why they use sour milk in traditionl/old recipes is just because you cant drink that shit anymore. back in the days people where much less wasteful with their stuff especially food.
    i dont like to throw away food so when i have milk at home that's already gotten a little bit sour i dont throw it away, i make pancakes you dont taste it

You just answered the question right there!

We have looked high and low for quarter- or half-litre containers of buttermilk, but there are none. It seems it is only sold in litre sizes and we have no use for that much buttermilk for anything other than making cornbread. It's a huge waste to use only a couple cups and have the rest rot. We tried to give it to the cats - lol - but they were not having any of it. We don't drink milk at my house, not even in coffee, so the least wasteful thing to do is use other milk that comes in smaller sizes.
    I don't have doubts, I have questions.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts

How did you make bread in 20 minutes? Had it already risen, or was it a quick bread?

Yeah, from the "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day" recipe. I make the dough on Sunday, then make a loaf every couple days through the week.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    last night was one of new fave meals...easy also....throw the cast iron in the broiler, get it hot...salt and pepper a rib-eye, put it in the cast iron and back in the broiler...meanwhile make a plate of various greens and many slices of strawberries...drizzle with gigner dressing...place rare rib eye on top of greens...grab a baguette and some olive oil....yum.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Strawberry Risotto with fresh green Pepper (no Bell Pepper - Pepper!) Basil and Parmigino. A nice cold white Wine - Sun - what esle do I have to say?

I shit! I gotta try this.

You just answered the question right there!

We have looked high and low for quarter- or half-litre containers of buttermilk, but there are none. It seems it is only sold in litre sizes and we have no use for that much buttermilk for anything other than making cornbread. It's a huge waste to use only a couple cups and have the rest rot. We tried to give it to the cats - lol - but they were not having any of it. We don't drink milk at my house, not even in coffee, so the least wasteful thing to do is use other milk that comes in smaller sizes.
    I don't have doubts, I have questions.

If u have any left over Buttermilk, I suggest trying a "Ranch Dressing" substitute. Add any herbs u want. The buttermilk already has the acid & cream there. A little olive oil - bang. Or u can use it w/ a potato salad.

Buttermilk is the shit. I usually use it as a marinade for fried chicken.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

Yeah, from the "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day" recipe. I make the dough on Sunday, then make a loaf every couple days through the week.

I have been making bread occasionally, which has involved lots of kneading and satisfying but time consuming labor. I think that I am ready for one of the sponge/self-kneading techniques or the "5 minutes a day" recipe you used. I need more time for lying on the couch and listening to records. The smell of bread baking in the oven is a great pleasure which is almost as satisfying as eating freshly made bread.

• Umm..so when is the Strut cookbook coming out?

Umm..so when is the Strut cookbook coming out?

along w/ suggested music to accompany the meal......

i'm livin fat

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    i'm livin fat

money!

• i'm livin fat

what is it?
    doesn??t look that good but i could be on a fault

black beans & lundberg short grain brown rice with a healthy dose of sriracha.

vegetable wheat thins as a delicious garnish.

had some friends in yesterday. Killed them with this Strawberry Risotto with some grilled Red snapper. Austrian Riesling, cold, then we went spinning and tore the club.
    you gotta try this.
    the main thing is you need supertasty Strawberries, about 300g take 100g when you cook the usual risotto, with onion and stuff, then add the rest with the butter and parmigiano. Basil at the end. unbeatable.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

First I brined it for about 5 hrs or so. Brining keeps the breast moist since that cooks faster than the thigh.

1 gallon water
    1/2 cup sea salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    dried thyme
    bay leaves

Took it out of the brine, rinsed it out, then dried. Stuffed a cut up lemon, some red onions, a few more cloves of garlic and a few sprigs of time. Then I rubbed the skin of the bird w/ some butter and olive oil.

I roasted it in the oven at about 375 for about an hr and 15 mins. It sat on top of a bed of roasted veg (red potatoes, celery, red onion, carrots). I seasoned those quite simply, just salt/pepper/olive oil/thyme.

I have a picture but it's still on my camera, I'm lazy. I still have the bones leftover, which I plan to make chicken noodle soup with a mexican coke on the side.

i dig cooking whole birds...because I love homeade chicken stock. mexican coke? what's that? coke & tequila???

You really don't need to brine a chicken to roast it. If you're worried it's going to dry out, you can always baste it whilst it's cooking. (just spoon the juices back over the top of the bird) Or if you're lazy, or just busy doing other shit, cover the body with tin foil for the first 3/4 of the cooking time, then remove to let the skin crisp.

Brining > basting by a serious landslide. Brining flavors and seasons meat via osmosis. Basting doesn't do much besides letting heat out of the oven.

had some friends in yesterday. Killed them with this Strawberry Risotto with some grilled Red snapper. Austrian Riesling, cold, then we went spinning and tore the club.

you gotta try this.
    the main thing is you need supertasty Strawberries, about 300g take 100g when you cook the usual risotto, with onion and stuff, then add the rest with the butter and parmigiano. Basil at the end. unbeatable.

Well im gonan experiment w/ it. What do u mean by (No Bell Peppers) Freah Green Peppers?

Frshly crushed Green Peppercorns?

you gotta try this.

Well im gonan experiment w/ it. What do u mean by (No Bell Peppers) Freah Green Peppers?

Fresh green peppercorns, the ones you get in a glass, in salted water. Or fresh green peppercorns from the Asia store. has to be green, no black pepper or red or white.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

1 gallon water
    1/2 cup sea salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    dried thyme
    bay leaves

Brining > basting by a serious landslide. Brining flavors and seasons meat via osmosis. Basting doesn't do much besides letting heat out of the oven.

???
    Dudes reason for brining, was to stop it from drying out. But you can baste to stop the meat from drying out. Obviously it's not going to add any extra flavours. It's not meant to. What it does do, is put all the flavour from the juices back into the bird. So it's does a little more than 'letting heat out of the oven'.
    That said I've roasted chicken hundreds of times and never had a problem with it drying out, and never really needed to baste.

If you want to add flavour you can marinate, or stuff the carcass with herbs etc or proper stuffing. You can lift up the skin, and stuff underneath that, using a butter/herb/garlic mix, or even a cream cheese/chive, (but this will make the cooking a little trickier).

Brining is very time consuming and adds a lot of salt, which is not good for you. And really doesn't add any more flavour than other, easier and quicker, methods. For other meats maybe, but for chicken I don't see how it's worth it.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

you gotta try this.

Fresh green peppercorns, the ones you get in a glass, in salted water. Or fresh green peppercorns from the Asia store. has to be green, no black pepper or red or white.

Fresh green pepper corns are great. One of those things you discover then try and put in everything you make.
    I've had a thing about fresh cardamom seeds lately.

1 gallon water
    1/2 cup sea salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    dried thyme
    bay leaves

???
    Dudes reason for brining, was to stop it from drying out. But you can baste to stop the meat from drying out. Obviously it's not going to add any extra flavours. It's not meant to. What it does do, is put all the flavour from the juices back into the bird. So it's does a little more than 'letting heat out of the oven'.
    That said I've roasted chicken hundreds of times and never had a problem with it drying out, and never really needed to baste.

If you want to add flavour you can marinate, or stuff the carcass with herbs etc or proper stuffing. You can lift up the skin, and stuff underneath that, using a butter/herb/garlic mix, or even a cream cheese/chive, (but this will make the cooking a little trickier).

Brining is very time consuming and adds a lot of salt, which is not good for you. And really doesn't add any more flavour than other, easier and quicker, methods. For other meats maybe, but for chicken I don't see how it's worth it.

I cosine on the brining. And you can infuse the chicken w/ more flavor than salt/sugar. Add any herbs u want.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

1 gallon water
    1/2 cup sea salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    dried thyme
    bay leaves

???

I cosine on the brining. And you can infuse the chicken w/ more flavor than salt/sugar. Add any herbs u want.

I typed a respectful, but informative response to all of this, but the board timed out on me.

Here's the short version: brining does take extra work, but as a chef, I can never discourage anyone from taking extra steps to take things to the .

My real issue is with basting. The juices just run off the sides of the bird, and they keep the skin from getting as crispy as possible. For me, the best or worst part of a chicken is often the skin.

I could go on and on about cooking methods, but would probably come across as a pompous ass on a message board. And I'm really not about all that.