What's Cookin?

1235»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    its all bout the wok game

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    its all bout the wok game

hahha, i was waiting for you to say that!!

dont fucks with Batmon and his wok!!

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    So, I'm pretty good at all forms of cooking other than chinese. Probably because I've worked at some time in my life at pretty much every ethnicity of restaurant except for chinese. Any body wanna drop the knowledge on chinese food?

wok + extremely hot burner + brief cooking time = basic foundation of a lot of Chinese cooking.

Chinese cuisine is perhaps the most diverse food culture of any in the world. The cuisine encountered by N. Americans are represented by the immigrants most commonly found on our shores, namely Cantonese, Szechuan/Sichuan, & Shanghai.

Cantonese - emphasis on fresh ingredients, especially seafood as the population lived close to southern coastal areas. Lighter than other regions since it's situated in hotter climates.

Szechuan/Sichuan - peppers, peppers, and oh just a few more peppers. Lots of preserved foods.

Shanghai - dumprings dumprings dumprings. Cuisine tends to be much sweeter than other regions. A bit oily imo.

best dishes to try cooking for the first time would be simple greens. Discover the joys of gai lan (chinese broccoli), pea shoots, shanghai bak choy (more mustard in flavour than reg bak choy), etc.

Depending on the veg, I prefer to cook them w/ ingredients such as preserved tofu, shrimp paste, fish sauce, or steamed w/ oyster sauce for dipping.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    if I was a true baller I would have this at home, alas I'm not (-_-)

http://www.us-appliance.com/24dcs.html

30,000 btu, I am pitching a tent. PASUE!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    if I was a true baller I would have this at home, alas I'm not (-_-)

http://www.us-appliance.com/24dcs.html

30,000 btu, I am pitching a tent. PASUE!

WOk Game

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Y'all have a grill out back?

Just a little Smokey Joe that has been on so many camping trips, beach visits, tailgating parties, etc. that I plan to somehow memorialize it once it finally rusts itself out of functionality.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    why dont you just use buttermilk if you have all those doubts?

i think a main reason why they use sour milk in traditionl/old recipes is just because you cant drink that shit anymore. back in the days people where much less wasteful with their stuff especially food.
    i dont like to throw away food so when i have milk at home that's already gotten a little bit sour i dont throw it away, i make pancakes you dont taste it

You just answered the question right there!

We have looked high and low for quarter- or half-litre containers of buttermilk, but there are none. It seems it is only sold in litre sizes and we have no use for that much buttermilk for anything other than making cornbread. It's a huge waste to use only a couple cups and have the rest rot. We tried to give it to the cats - lol - but they were not having any of it. We don't drink milk at my house, not even in coffee, so the least wasteful thing to do is use other milk that comes in smaller sizes.
    I don't have doubts, I have questions.

Use Low-fat yogurt instead of buttermilk.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    This is called laziness.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I went all out last night.

Collard Greens, simply steamed.

Black Rice.

Mung beans cooked Indian style in a curry of Fenugreek, Cumin Seeds, Coriander, Turmeric, Salt, Ginger, and Garlic. Finished with a bit of Cilantro.

Wild Sockeye--flavor alert--baked with Cilantro on top. Finished with a sauce of honey, ginger, chile, and white wine vinegar.

I'd like to learn more about gastronomique (correct usage/form?) any strutters up on this?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Ma Po Tofu again last night. That schitt is spicy as hell.