What's Cookin?

Comments

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    kale

i live for kale.... and cilantro. if i knew you had kale over there you might had caught me diggin in your garden on some lonely, hungry night...

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    P*****k will probably plant some more this summer. You should go steal some, a bunch went to waste last year. I ate a ton of it, but i think I was one of the only ones. 31st and Harriet, organhaus. I don't live there anymore, so ahhh, go for it, otto.

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    I dont trust the squirrels

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    General rule for a brine is half cup of salt/sugar per gallon of water. The chicken should be brined for an hour per lb. Extra herbs/spices are at your discretion. Putting 1/2 cup of salt into your brine is different than rubbing half a cup of salt onto the bird, can you grasp that?

Basting is counterproductive imo, you're just preventing the skin from crisping up. The parts that gets dried are the inside meat. Do try brining and see for yourself.

Salt is not the enemy! Why are people so afraid of salt? The salt that's killing you comes from processed foods (canned soups, tv dinners, chips). Regular usage of salt in the kitchen is fine. I've seen way too many home cooks under salt because of the public agenda against salt.

If people only knew how much salt is used in a commercial kitchen, they would freak out.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    If people only knew how much salt is used in a commercial kitchen, they would freak out.

Add Butter / Oil to that list too.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Add Butter / Oil to that list too.

Double true.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    i did what some call "cooking" tonight. its a rather difficult process, but they say it pays off once you eat the food.

and later on this evening i'm going to try this new fad called "jogging". i believe it's pronounced yog-ing, it might be a soft-j. i'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. it's supposed to be wild.

sauteed in lemon & garlic omega3 plant sterols, then steamed...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I just made fried ravioli with tomato sauce

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i did what some call "cooking" tonight.

HOT SALAD

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Im going to make this for a friends bday coming up
    Persian Love Cake

from epicurious:
    "This chiffon cake filled with rose-scented whipped cream is inspired by the aromatics found in Persian, Turkish, and Indian confections. Cardamom seeds have more flavor than the ground powder and are like little explosions of spice in the cake."

I'm thinking of doubling the recipe to make it taller, whatchoo all think?

On a side note...

Today the boy made fun of me cause i had meyer lemons and stubbs rub spice in my purse.

Persian Love Cake

Looks pretty, but why go taller?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Persian Love Cake

I dunno, i thought it would pretty taller, but not like it should be like a wedding cake, ya know?

hm, maybe i should just stick with the recipe.

I've been really into floral cakes lately.

I made this for Easter:
    Meyer Lemon Cake with Lavender Cream

it was so gooood. I really need to get a good camera to take pics of what I make.

Persian Love Cake

I dunno, i thought it would pretty taller, but not like it should be like a wedding cake, ya know?

hm, maybe i should just stick with the recipe.

I've been really into floral cakes lately.

I made this for Easter:
    Meyer Lemon Cake with Lavender Cream

it was so gooood. I really need to get a good camera to take pics of what I make.

Yeah, do that. Lavender sounds good. Are yu gonna make the Lav cream urself?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Tonight, I made stir fried vegetables over white rice. Eggplant, yelow squash, zucchini, red pepper, green pepper, and garlic with freshly cut cilantro used as a garnish. For the sauce, I mixed vegetable oil, water, soy sauce, sugar, and spices (which minus the oil is also my standard steak marinade). Along with cantelope as an appetizer, it came out nice.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I made the lavender cream for Easter for my family, it was so easy and soooooo goood. That lemon cake is great with Earl Grey hot tea or of course jasmine. Now that I think about it I should make some bergamot cream sometime, even though it does pair with chocolate.

But for the friends bday, Im sticking to the first cake. Candied flowers is a nice touch on a cake.

Tonight, I made stir fried vegetables over white rice. Eggplant, yelow squash, zucchini, red pepper, green pepper, and garlic with freshly cut cilantro used as a garnish. For the sauce, I mixed vegetable oil, water, soy sauce, sugar, and spices (which minus the oil is also my standard steak marinade). Along with cantelope as an appetizer, it came out nice.

HOT SALAD

I made a Coffee rubbed Short Ribs w/ Buttamilk mash potatoes.

I made the lavender cream for Easter for my family, it was so easy and soooooo goood. That lemon cake is great with Earl Grey hot tea or of course jasmine. Now that I think about it I should make some bergamot cream sometime, even though it does pair with chocolate.

But for the friends bday, Im sticking to the first cake. Candied flowers is a nice touch on a cake.

If mad people are coming to the B-Day, id say make it taller, but if its a regular crowd, keep it conservative. 'Who really wants it!"

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

If mad people are coming to the B-Day, id say make it taller, but if its a regular crowd, keep it conservative. 'Who really wants it!"

See, im having it come out at midnight on Friday with her fav song playing at this martini bar we work at.

Cause im cool like that.

HOT SALAD

YOU SOUND SINGLE.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    So, I'm pretty good at all forms of cooking other than chinese. Probably because I've worked at some time in my life at pretty much every ethnicity of restaurant except for chinese. Any body wanna drop the knowledge on chinese food?

HOT SALAD

YOU SOUND SINGLE.

Haha..

Id come home to my ex-wife cuttin up some veggies and addin that to a hot skillit w/ olive oil, to serve it w/ rice. She'd catch mad snaps from me..."what the hell u makin a Hot Salad?" Low effort steez IMO. Being from Finaland, her fish game was tight, but after that, shit was doo-doo.

HOT SALAD

YOU SOUND SINGLE.

Haha..

Id come home to my ex-wife cuttin up some veggies and addin that to a hot skillit w/ olive oil, to serve it w/ rice. She'd catch mad snaps from me..."what the hell u makin a Hot Salad?" Low effort steez IMO. Being from Finaland, her fish game was tight, but after that, shit was doo-doo.

She didn't even have a good jerk in her?

Tragic.

HOT SALAD

YOU SOUND SINGLE.

Haha..

Id come home to my ex-wife cuttin up some veggies and addin that to a hot skillit w/ olive oil, to serve it w/ rice. She'd catch mad snaps from me..."what the hell u makin a Hot Salad?" Low effort steez IMO. Being from Finland, her fish game was tight, but after that, shit was doo-doo.

Tragic.

Her Jerk game was

If you drink coffee try makin a dry rub outta some expresso. Put that shit on beef,chicken,fish,whatever.....im tellin ya.

HOT SALAD

YOU SOUND SINGLE.

Haha..

Id come home to my ex-wife cuttin up some veggies and addin that to a hot skillit w/ olive oil, to serve it w/ rice. She'd catch mad snaps from me..."what the hell u makin a Hot Salad?" Low effort steez IMO. Being from Finland, her fish game was tight, but after that, shit was doo-doo.

Tragic.

Her Jerk game was

If you drink coffee try makin a dry rub outta some expresso. Put that shit on beef,chicken,fish,whatever.....im tellin ya.

I have had my beef rubbed before.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts

HOT SALAD

YOU SOUND SINGLE.

Haha..

Tragic.

Her Jerk game was

Post or pre espresso making?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    ground espresso

HOT SALAD

YOU SOUND SINGLE.

Haha..

Tragic.

Her Jerk game was

No more after the married life?

HOT SALAD

YOU SOUND SINGLE.

Haha..

Tragic.

Her Jerk game was

No more after the married life?

More wet rubs than dry.

Seriously, my wife bastes-slathers-drowns any meat she cooks like it's actually possible to grill meat stew without a pot.

I don't mind.

Y'all have a grill out back?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    So, I'm pretty good at all forms of cooking other than chinese. Probably because I've worked at some time in my life at pretty much every ethnicity of restaurant except for chinese. Any body wanna drop the knowledge on chinese food?

wok + extremely hot burner + brief cooking time = basic foundation of a lot of Chinese cooking.

Chinese cuisine is perhaps the most diverse food culture of any in the world. The cuisine encountered by N. Americans are represented by the immigrants most commonly found on our shores, namely Cantonese, Szechuan/Sichuan, & Shanghai.

Cantonese - emphasis on fresh ingredients, especially seafood as the population lived close to southern coastal areas. Lighter than other regions since it's situated in hotter climates.

Szechuan/Sichuan - peppers, peppers, and oh just a few more peppers. Lots of preserved foods.

Shanghai - dumprings dumprings dumprings. Cuisine tends to be much sweeter than other regions. A bit oily imo.

best dishes to try cooking for the first time would be simple greens. Discover the joys of gai lan (chinese broccoli), pea shoots, shanghai bak choy (more mustard in flavour than reg bak choy), etc.

Depending on the veg, I prefer to cook them w/ ingredients such as preserved tofu, shrimp paste, fish sauce, or steamed w/ oyster sauce for dipping.