What's Cookin?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My real issue is with basting. The juices just run off the sides of the bird, and they keep the skin from getting as crispy as possible. For me, the best or worst part of a chicken is often the skin.

I think if one is super conscious while roasting a chicken w/ out brine u can get a moist bird w/out brining. But brining is definitely a next level/more time consuming process. Basting doesnt penetrate the inside of the bird.It can keep the breast(which usually drys the quickest)from further dehydration.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Thread Jack:
    The lady wants some decent knives.

I don't know the first thing when it comes to chef's knives.

Any help?

You get what you pay for, but if you don't sharpen them or have them sharpened now and again, they will all go to shit.

I think if one is super conscious while roasting a chicken w/ out brine u can get a moist bird w/out brining.

Yes, I think we can all agree on this. A meat thermometer is key, and a cheap-but-solid investment.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    i rock wustof classics.

What do you recommend?

Can she cook or she wants a flamboyant Knife to feel good? Just sayin.

Everyone should have a very good Chef's Knife. I own a medium level big blade.
    I have a Wustoff santuko blade for other duties, and a couple of high quality utility blade. A bread knife and a low level Clever which is so necessary.
    A two style sharpening stone and a honing thingy.

DO NOT COP THOSE 15 KNIFE WOODEN HOLDER THANGS.
    Go to the store and see what feels good in your hands. If u make the proper choices and maintain ur blades like a samurai ur/her shit will last a long time.

Highly recommended.....Look into a Santoku

HOMEGIRL CAN COOK!

not to hatt but u conveying ur tastes. Its all to tha good.

Invest in a real Blades and yall wont be sorry.

i rock wustof classics.

Really can't fuck with Wusthof or Henckels.

These are sick, too.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I roasted a 4lb chicken (free range/organic) the other day.

First I brined it for about 5 hrs or so. Brining keeps the breast moist since that cooks faster than the thigh.

1 gallon water
    1/2 cup sea salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    tablespoon of crushed black peppercorns
    2 crushed cloves of garlic
    dried thyme
    bay leaves

Took it out of the brine, rinsed it out, then dried. Stuffed a cut up lemon, some red onions, a few more cloves of garlic and a few sprigs of time. Then I rubbed the skin of the bird w/ some butter and olive oil.

I roasted it in the oven at about 375 for about an hr and 15 mins. It sat on top of a bed of roasted veg (red potatoes, celery, red onion, carrots). I seasoned those quite simply, just salt/pepper/olive oil/thyme.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blahe.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah???

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Brining > basting by a serious landslide. Brining flavors and seasons meat via osmosis. Basting doesn't do much besides letting heat out of the oven.

???
    Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I cosine on the brining. And you can infuse the chicken w/ more flavor than salt/sugar. Add any herbs u want.

I typed a respectful, but informative response to all of this, but the board timed out on me.

I could go on and on about cooking methods, but would probably come across as a pompous ass on a message board. And I'm really not about all that.

Do it.

I'm intrigued.

I've brined pork before, but pork + lots of salt = bonus, but adding that much salt to chicken just seems wrong. How does it not end up being really salty?? And is this not like taking a healthy meat, and making it unhealthy?

I think I might try it this weekend, so drop some knowledge, and get as pompous as you like.

I've brined pork before, but pork + lots of salt = bonus, but adding that much salt to chicken just seems wrong. How does it not end up being really salty?? And is this not like taking a healthy meat, and making it unhealthy?

I think I might try it this weekend, so drop some knowledge, and get as pompous as you like.

A brined bird doesnt taste more salty.

The way Pork has been manufactured in the last 20 years, u have to brine it 'cause its so lean.

The way Pork has been manufactured in the last 20 years, u have to brine it 'cause its so lean.

Very true. I will try to post up some more brining-related info, such as recipes, after I get back duffing around the golf course.

• I've brined pork before, but pork + lots of salt = bonus, but adding that much salt to chicken just seems wrong. How does it not end up being really salty?? And is this not like taking a healthy meat, and making it unhealthy?

Very true. I will try to post up some more brining-related info, such as recipes, after I get back duffing around the golf course.

I'll cosign brining a bird, but the best chicken I ever roasted I used a dry rub with orange zest, lemon zest, rosemary, a little cayanne, paprika, salt (a good amount) and pepper. I put about half the rub under the skin along with rosemary sprigs and a bunch of basil. With the rest of the rub I made a butter compound and smeared it all over the bird. Stuffed the cavity with lemon and orange pieces, more rosemary, garlic, onion. I put a carrot and onion in the pan which I pureed and added to the gravy I made from the drippings.

Serious next level bizness. Best chicken I ever had.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    As for the knife suggestions....

Shun, Sahn!

Last night I just made some ginger and basil seared tuna, some nice ginger string beans, and oregano and parmesian potatoes served with a nice crusty french loaf and some bre. Delicious.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

I'll cosign brining a bird, but the best chicken I ever roasted I used a dry rub with orange zest, lemon zest, rosemary, a little cayanne, paprika, salt (a good amount) and pepper. I put about half the rub under the skin along with rosemary sprigs and a bunch of basil. With the rest of the rub I made a butter compound and smeared it all over the bird. Stuffed the cavity with lemon and orange pieces, more rosemary, garlic, onion. I put a carrot and onion in the pan which I pureed and added to the gravy I made from the drippings.

Serious next level bizness. Best chicken I ever had.

Now that sounds more my kinda thing.

Personally, one of the tastiest ways I've ever cooked a piece of chicken (a breast for expl.) is just to season, and griddle it, on a high heat.
    Super simple, but it really brings out the natural flavour of the bird.

Also, does anyone have a good trick to stop a gravy, made from the drippings, from being too greasy?
    I know if you leave it to cool, it will eventually separate, but that takes too long..

Personally, one of the tastiest ways I've ever cooked a piece of chicken (a breast for expl.) is just to season, and griddle it, on a high heat.

Are u reciting some Food network lingo or u can differenciate the flavors of a chicken that's been broiled,grilled, griddled,spitted, fireplaced,microwaved,etc?

And one of these are handy if u like to make gravy.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Last night, I made Italian sausage sandwiches...and as I was frying the sausages up in olive oil, my wife was like: let me go out to the garden for some herbs. She comes back with a whole tv tray's worth of basil, thyme, sage, 2 kinds of parsley, 2 kinds of oregano, and chives. I'm like, cool...I'll save some of this to dry. And she goes: actually, I meant for all of that to go into the sauce. And here's some arugula to use as a garnish. Point being, backyard gardens rule.

Point being, backyard gardens rule.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Are u reciting some Food network lingo or u can differenciate the flavors of a chicken that's been broiled,grilled, griddled,spitted, fireplaced,microwaved,etc?

WTF are you talking about.

Can you not differentiate, between two separate points.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    arugula

can't get enough of this lately - having it in salads, with pasta, on rice.
    I love bitter greens!

WTF is "the natural flavor of the bird"?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

We did it up this year. I dug out 2 separate plots on either side of the house. Some friends gave me a tip that a local cemetary has piles and piles of stones for the taking, so I used those as borders. We planted all of the herbs mentioned above (I left rosemary out of that list), plus cilantro, mint, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, brussel sprouts, squash, beans, and strawberries. I just planted some pumpkin seedlings in pots yesterday and we plan to dig up a third plot here in a couple of weeks. Now, it's just a matter of putting up even more chicken wire than we already had to keep the bats from eating all of our ish.

• Also, does anyone have a good trick to stop a gravy, made from the drippings, from being too greasy?
    I know if you leave it to cool, it will eventually separate, but that takes too long..

It doesn't take that long. just pour it in a measuring cup and put it in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes and then spoon off the grease on top.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    arugula

can't get enough of this lately - having it in salads, with pasta, on rice.
    I love bitter greens!

loved having this handy in Brazil

Quick pork-stir fry reduction

I used diced porcini, echallote seche and chive pesto to start

Apple vinegar marinated pork cuts in and apple/pear juicer leftover to crust

White whine and pure granny smith juice to reduce with garam massala to brown

finished it off with a dab of honey, served on jasmin rice

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

looking forward to getting some tasty stuff from the garden. Not big on gardening myself. luckily my wife has a green thumb.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

WTF is "the natural flavor of the bird"?

The flavour of just plain old chicken, with no added flavours. Natural. (I have no idea what the Food Network is)

We did it up this year. I dug out 2 separate plots on either side of the house. Some friends gave me a tip that a local cemetary has piles and piles of stones for the taking, so I used those as borders. We planted all of the herbs mentioned above (I left rosemary out of that list), plus cilantro, mint, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, brussel sprouts, squash, beans, and strawberries. I just planted some pumpkin seedlings in pots yesterday and we plan to dig up a third plot here in a couple of weeks. Now, it's just a matter of putting up even more chicken wire than we already had to keep the bats from eating all of our ish.

U dont like Bat people?

Fresh-N-Homeade Ingrediants > everything

Ive thought about having a couplr of herb pots on my fire escape, but my green thumb is doo-doo. Plus I dont trust the squirrels and delinquent kids 'round here.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

looking forward to getting some tasty stuff from the garden. Not big on gardening myself. luckily my wife has a green thumb.

We don't have enough space for veggies and fruit but having fresh herbs is a must. When I do a recipe that calls for a fresh herb I don't have, instead of buying the expensive cut fresh herbs from the supermarket I'll buy a potted version from the nursery or farmers market--it's usually not much more expensive. Either I use it all up, or I transplant the leftovers into my herb pots and have it around for next time.

Always something weird in our CSA box. [color:white]yes, I know "take that shit to stuffwhitepeoplelike dot com"[/color]
    Last week we got some Cardoon, which actually made a pretty tasty gratin dish

(not my picture)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Bats!

The garden sounds great. I'd love to live somewhere you can grow cilantro wild, it just dies too quickly when I've tried over here.
    My favourite crop from last summer was the corn on the cob. There's something really satisfying about going out in the garden, picking something that you've grown, cooking and eating it.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    The garden sounds great. I'd love to live somewhere you can grow cilantro wild, it just dies too quickly when I've tried over here.

I'm not sure where you're at, but I can usually get cilantro to go to seed several times in Minnesota's rather short growing season. As soon as it goes to seed, replant and you're sorted. Stagger your plantings and you should have fresh cilantro whenever you need it.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

I'm not sure where you're at, but I can usually get cilantro to go to seed several times in Minnesota's rather short growing season. As soon as it goes to seed, replant and you're sorted. Stagger your plantings and you should have fresh cilantro whenever you need it.

Thanks.

I'm in the cold and rainy Uk. I've tried growing it in a pot, so I can bring it in if it's especially cold.
    I'll try growing it outside, the way you suggested, and see if it survives.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    There's something really satisfying about going out in the garden, picking something that you've grown, cooking and eating it.

I had an awesome garden poppin off in minneapolis last year. Great Peppers, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, kale, basil, thyme, rosemary, sage. It was great to just pop out to the garden for ingredients.