post a very raer record on a major label

Comments

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    How rare was the De La Soul "Say No Go" test pressing? I enough people who actually own it (doubles even!) that it makes me think Tommy Boy pressed up 1000 "tests" of it or something.

I was curious about the De La Soul is Dead LP I have, it is numbered
    #001226, but I highly doubt they made 999,999 of them. I would guess they made more around 2,000? 3500? 20k, I have no idea. Curious how you guys think about it in numbers. 500? 1,000? A thousand seems a lot.

A&M seems to have a knack for putting out low run classics, or new found hits that were sleepers at the time of their release. Not that A&M dominates this thread by any means but Maybe the A&R's at A&M were ahead of their time or something? I dunno.

I guess the same could be said about any of the major labels one hit (non)-wonders. It goes even further to ask whether an album's popularity at the time of its release defines its classic-ness? It seems obvious to say yes but we wouldn't even know or care about so much of it if it weren't its supposed rarity, At least for collectros. I think it can be considered rare for a lot of reasons, but mostly limited numbers and special pressings, right?

Anyways, here a couple the came to mind:

the soft pop butcher cover equivalent:

the toe suckage:

and the ayers, I don't really know, it goes in with the first time on vinyl appeal I suppose.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've always been curious about the De La Soul is Dead promos too. 1000 sounds about right - maybe 2000?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    King James Version-First Time We Met ABC/Peacock

Now, I really don't understand this one. It's a decent LP - one I'd pick up for $20 in the real world - but the actual music quality just does not justify the price. There are albums that are 2 or 3 times as rare on HSE and Creed that garner 2 or 3 times less money at auction and kick this LP's ass up and down the block. Hell, I've got singles I'd rather own. Any American that does not flip this for mid-three figures is a fool.

It's a quite a bit better than "decent" IMO, $600 worth, no way.
    There were a couple people who said keep it, when I found it.
    Maybe next time.
    Uh yeah right.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

• I get the feeling that CPeetz is gonna be that grandfather that smells like old weed and mothballs, and calls the younguns over to his knee and says, "Has grandpa ever told you about the time he found King James Version IN THE FIELD??"

And, the children will groan and shrug, and mom will look at them sternly, and reluctantly, they will siddle up to grandpa- but not too close; he smells funny- and listen to the story one more time...

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    One of the rarest has to be that weird birthday rap 12" on A&M that was used for placemats (or party favors?) at some A&R's b-day bash... Under 100 made, most trashed within hours...

The record you're referring to is "Happy Birthday Charlie," pressed for the 1988 birthday of Charlie Minor, the flamboyant promoter for A&M records who was later murdered in 1996. The rap was performed by Rap-A-Lot/A&M artist Raheem the Vigilante and produced by James "Lil J" Smith.

It's a cool novelty record, with Raheem rapping how he met Charlie over a simple drum/keyboard track. Glad my copy isn't trashed. I wonder how Charlie and the other label execs enjoyed the 5th Ward birthday wishes from Raheem & Lil J.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    that's the one!

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

is this the same Beloyd Taylor that was in Earth Wind & Fire, and also S.O.U.L. ? Just curious....

is this the same Beloyd Taylor that was in Earth Wind & Fire, and also S.O.U.L. ? Just curious....

Yes indeed!
    Guitarist in SOUL and wrote for EWF
    did stuff with Donald Byrd and Gary Bartz too

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

Yes indeed!

wow......that's pretty cool. I know Beloyd a little bit (as my good friend reunited S.O.U.L. a few years back), and he hadn't mentioned it. Not that it would come up in casual conversation mind you, but still. Good record??

Yes indeed!

wow......that's pretty cool. I know Beloyd a little bit (as my good friend reunited S.O.U.L. a few years back), and he hadn't mentioned it. Not that it would come up in casual conversation mind you, but still. Good record??

Good?? Super heated!
    It must have been way ahead of its time when released in 77 or thereabouts.
    Got rereleased by Jazzman in the UK not so long ago. A modern soul builder with slight disco tendencies, positivity lyrics, soaring strings....perfect.
    Rare too, can go for ??200 / $400

Hopefully your man Beloyd got some money out of the re-issue.....

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Philamore
    On Epic

Raer??

I don't know any stats for how many were pressed/distributed, but from circumstantial evidence I got the impression its at least as rare as Gandalf/rarer than Ill Wind / Ultimate Spinache kind of MGM/Bosstown Sound psych.

Sorry, but Philamore Lincoln is not raer, turns up frequently for $20. I have yet to see Gandalf or Ill Wind in "the field."

I get the feeling that CPeetz is gonna be that grandfather that smells like old weed and mothballs, and calls the younguns over to his knee and says, "Has grandpa ever told you about the time he found King James Version IN THE FIELD??"

And, the children will groan and shrug, and mom will look at them sternly, and reluctantly, they will siddle up to grandpa- but not too close; he smells funny- and listen to the story one more time...

You are quite the comedian KK, ever think about taking your act on the road?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I get the feeling that CPeetz is gonna be that grandfather that smells like old weed and mothballs, and calls the younguns over to his knee and says, "Has grandpa ever told you about the time he found King James Version IN THE FIELD??"

Except I'm confused about one thing ... are you saying Cpeetz
    found a King James Version?? And that he sold it?

Why weren't WE told about this?

• I get the feeling that CPeetz is gonna be that grandfather that smells like old weed and mothballs, and calls the younguns over to his knee and says, "Has grandpa ever told you about the time he found King James Version IN THE FIELD??"

You are quite the comedian KK, ever think about taking your act on the road?

Thank you, thank you...You guys have been great...

Hey, what is the deal with Popsike??? Did you see they want my money??? I mean, what am I supposed to do...Price things on my own???

No, really...You guys are great.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Second tier Major labels

We have been prone to calling these "Mid-majors" around Chicago.

Thank you, thank you...You guys have been great...

Hey, what is the deal with Popsike??? Did you see they want my money??? I mean, what am I supposed to do...Price things on my own???

No, really...You guys are great.

Keep it up brother you be opening for this guy before you know it!

• CP, I got nothing but a broken link on your zinger. Post a description?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    A&M seems to have a knack for putting out low run classics, or new found hits that were sleepers at the time of their release. Not that A&M dominates this thread by any means but Maybe the A&R's at A&M were ahead of their time or something? I dunno.

I guess the same could be said about any of the major labels one hit (non)-wonders. It goes even further to ask whether an album's popularity at the time of its release defines its classic-ness? It seems obvious to say yes but we wouldn't even know or care about so much of it if it weren't its supposed rarity, At least for collectros. I think it can be considered rare for a lot of reasons, but mostly limited numbers and special pressings, right?

I don't see what the big deal is here.

Go to the label discographies at Both Sides Now.com. For every title you know, there's gonna be three you never heard of where the label gambled and lost. That's just the way of the business. Just because it came out on some major like Capitol or CBS doesn't mean it's gonna grow on trees. If it didn't sell, doggone right it's gonna be scarce. Just because albums by the Steve Miller Band are all over the place doesn't mean that Gandalf is gonna follow.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    jon lucien- "rashida" mini ep on RCA

My copy's for sale. PM if you're interested.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Ashford & Simpson's One More Try.

No doubt on the Ashford & Simpson. Never even seen it.

Definitely scarce, but I've always felt as though this is one of those records that has a huge price tag because of demand/quality as much as rarity.

I've never seen one either, but it's on ebay every few months. I would bet that there were at least a couple thousand of these promos pressed up, maybe more.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

By the time I finished reading the "finds" post, the auction had ended!

Who is this dastardly "Cpeetz", and how does he sell records so quickly??

I don't see what the big deal is here.

Go to the label discographies at Both Sides Now.com. For every title you know, there's gonna be three you never heard of where the label gambled and lost. That's just the way of the business. Just because it came out on some major like Capitol or CBS doesn't mean it's gonna grow on trees. If it didn't sell, doggone right it's gonna be scarce. Just because albums by the Steve Miller Band are all over the place doesn't mean that Gandalf is gonna follow.

There is no big deal. I was just trying to get into how they become desirable later on, due mostly to collectors and record heads that re-discover them. It would be more interesting to know how many exactly there are of a certain pressing than how popular it was or wasn't when it came out. Its more of a Not knowing then what I know now kind of thing I guess? Sorry, I don't exactly know how to word my questions well I suppose. Oh well. There are several questions......they will remain unanswered.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    this is one of the worst sellers turned rare on columbia....

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    so who has the ashford and simpson joint?
    howsit?
    WLP only?
    no 45s singles or the same tracks showing up on other releases?
    dare i ask
    is it Funky?

By the time I finished reading the "finds" post, the auction had ended!

Who is this dastardly "Cpeetz", and how does he sell records so quickly??

My secrets are my own, and I'll take them to my grave.
    I have tendency to repeat myself, I'll be the first to admit it.
    I'm flattered you guys follow my comings and goings so closely.

• CP,

I'll say this...You can get a little hyped, and that makes it even more fun to bust your stones.

That said, it's all in the name of fun, and I love the enthusiasm. Always happy to see you bust out some new JA records.

Now. Back to taking the piss, as the Brits say.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

if anybody finds this, let my girlfriend know.