post a very raer record on a major label

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Its interesting to consider what qualifies as a "major" in the decades before a handful of companies bought up all the competition and became "The Majors" though.

Well, before the '80s rolled around, indie labels actually had a shot at the charts. By the standards of the fifties, sixties and seventies, small labels like, say, All Platinum, Jewel, Excello, Duke, Starday, King and the like were considered independent labels. But because they had fairly high profiles, a lot of crate-digger types consider them "majors" just because they weren't put out by some wacko in a basement.

One of y'all mentioned Fania. Even though they had one or two breakouts and were briefly distributed by CBS, I have a hard time considering them a major. To me, Fania was like a step away from Folkways (and I'm not downing either label, I'm just saying; Fania was big in salsa circles, but hardly anywhere else).

I may be jaded but I think of a "major" label as one that had national distribution. I kinda break it down like this...

Major labels - Capitol, RCA, Mercury, etc.

Second tier Major labels - King, Starday, Excello, Chess, Checker, etc.

Local labels - every major city had 2 or 3 labels that released a lot of material, but never became national.....Le Cam and Vandan were here in D/FW. Most had at least 20 releases.

Private label - Bands/artists who paid for their project themselves.

• darkdark 52 Posts

Philamore Lincoln On Epic

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I may be jaded but I think of a "major" label as one that had national distribution. I kinda break it down like this...

Major labels - Capitol, RCA, Mercury, etc.

Second tier Major labels - King, Starday, Excello, Chess, Checker, etc.

I don't know if I'd consider EVERY label that national distro a major, but generally I'm with Rock on this one... I don't think those of us who grew up in the age of The Major Labels can have an accurate conception of what it was like back in the day... it seems arbitrary to say that one label of relatively equal stature to another in the 60s was not a "major" then simply because it hasn't been putting out CDs that were competing with WEA for the past 20 years...

• On Epic

Raer??

• Doors "S/T" Uncensored Mono on Elektra

What did they censor on this album? Is there an uncensored stereo?

you know, the end of "The End"..."Mother, I want you fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you" part...I believe there are uncensored stereos...

Wild, I've been a Doors fan forever and collecting records much of that time yet I've never heard of this - you'd think the price guides would mention it...

They don't mention it because it doesn't exist. There are censored/uncensored versions of the MC5s 'Kick Out the Jams'.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What's the deal with David Bowie's "man dress" cover for "The Man Who Sold the World"? Some rare UK Mercury release that now goes for chingo bling?

What's the deal with David Bowie's "man dress" cover for "The Man Who Sold the World"? Some rare UK Mercury release that now goes for chingo bling?

And how bout the dog balls sleeve? That was issued domestically, or so the story goes... used to be touted as one of the most collectable rock LPs, alongside that botched promo Dylan issue which I suppose could be in this thread...

The promo-only mono "Electric Ladyland" would fall under the classic rock uber-rares category as well...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Doors "S/T" Uncensored Mono on Elektra

What did they censor on this album? Is there an uncensored stereo?

you know, the end of "The End"..."Mother, I want you fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you" part...I believe there are uncensored stereos...

Wild, I've been a Doors fan forever and collecting records much of that time yet I've never heard of this - you'd think the price guides would mention it...

They don't mention it because it doesn't exist. There are censored/uncensored versions of the MC5s 'Kick Out the Jams'.

??????????????????????????

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=140076689278

• What's the deal with David Bowie's "man dress" cover for "The Man Who Sold the World"? Some rare UK Mercury release that now goes for chingo bling?

A local Dj from Providence sold some early Bowie 45 for $2500+, if I recall. Early non-promo steez.

??????????????????????????

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=140076689278
    Is there proof other than that listing? That guy seems to be full of crap at least half the time...

• They don't mention it because it doesn't exist. There are censored/uncensored versions of the MC5s 'Kick Out the Jams'.

Is there proof other than that listing? That guy seems to be full of crap at least half the time...
    He's full of crap this time too...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

haha everytime I say Bob Djukic's name in my head,
    it sounds exactly like:

Djukic!

Oedipal ranting and raving - that you DO NOT NECESSARY WANT TO HEAR!!![/b]

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I have an interesting copy of the Remains' LP from the 70s with bonus tracks (!). I've never seen it since, but I've never looked for it, either.

Is it the red wax release on Spoonfed??

Yes. I don't believe that it's worth much, or anything, but it suffices. How is it regarded?

Great music....probably worth 3-4x what it sold for when it was new.

Oh - I love the group. I meant (but didn't actually type): how is the sound quality regarded? Meaning, versus the OG?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

And how bout the dog balls sleeve? That was issued domestically, or so the story goes... used to be touted as one of the most collectable rock LPs, alongside that botched promo Dylan issue which I suppose could be in this thread...

The promo-only mono "Electric Ladyland" would fall under the classic rock uber-rares category as well...

Hell: you should see the German version of TMWSTW. Holy fuck! One of the great Rock foldouts!

The DJ Mono of Zappa's Freak-Out! has totally different mixes. Mostly recommended, and I'd love to have an mp3 of this.

Oh - I love the group. I meant (but didn't actually type): how is the sound quality regarded? Meaning, versus the OG?

The Sundazed reissue has extra tracks, heavy wax/nice package, and sounds great.

• darkdark 52 Posts

On Epic

Raer??

I don't know any stats for how many were pressed/distributed, but from circumstantial evidence I got the impression its at least as rare as Gandalf/rarer than Ill Wind / Ultimate Spinache kind of MGM/Bosstown Sound psych.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    King James Version-First Time We Met ABC/Peacock

That record's more expensive than rare.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

But if the market was flooded with them, they wouldn't go for so much right?
    I know this record is hot in Japan right now, supposedly some hip hop group
    over there sampled it, so they are sweating it really hard.
    Surely the price will go down when it's no longer in vogue.
    Rare or not I was happy to put $630 in my pocket for a copy recently.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

But if the market was flooded with them, they wouldn't go for so much right?
    I know this record is hot in Japan right now, supposedly some hip hop group
    over there sampled it, so they are sweating it really hard.
    Surely the price will go down when it's no longer in vogue.
    Rare or not I was happy to put $630 in my pocket for a copy recently.

Well this thread is about major label records that are rare, not in high demand. [/nerd]

I actually thought - back when I first found this record in 2001 - that this record was pretty unknown. I had never seen it, and everyone I talked to seemed to thinks so too. So yeah, I did think it was rare.

But ever since dudes found out this schitt goes for 6 hundo it's like "yo I found a King James Version!"

Every 3 months or so, someone finds a King James Version.

There are equally scarce ABC/Peacock releases, some that are just as good. But they do not get $600. That price is a product of a particular market phenomenon and the demand is there, but I wouldn't say KJV is a rare record (even though I've only found it once). It just seems like it pops up frequently enough.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    There are some real rare Canadian titles on Columbia like Jarvis St. Revue and It's All Meat.
    I think Jarvis pops up with some frequency. It's All Meat is a lot more rare. How about the English version of Contraction on Columbia?

I'm not sure it's fair to list the Canadian titles, though. Because if we went to the foreign market then every CBS title would be up there, like somebody already mentioned Placebo.

I'd like to know how rare Eugene McDaniels is without promo sticker.

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
    There are some real rare Canadian titles on Columbia like Jarvis St. Revue and It's All Meat.
    I think Jarvis pops up with some frequency. It's All Meat is a lot more rare.

My brother pulled two Mr. Oilman's so far this year, got one myself last year and have heard of many more being pulled over the years... still a very rare title but in contrast I've only seen the It's All Meat once and never hear of ones turning up in 'the field'... if they come up for sale, it seems to be for the most part out of collections...

Speaking of Canadian Columbia titles...

And another rare Canadian psycher that never seems to come up...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I don't know WHERE this stands in the general scheme of rarity, but I've only seen Hackamore Brick's One Kiss Leads To Another two times in eleven years, and I bought both. (The first copy was rinked real bad so I gave it to a friend of mine after I found copy #2.)

This 1970 album, on the Kama Sutra label, is the only example I've ever heard of a band imitating the Velvet Underground while the Velvet Underground was still around. While it does have a mild cult following, I'm surprised nobody's tried to reissue or bootleg it by now. Rhino included a Hackamore Brick track on one of its' eighties Nuggets comps (where it didn't belong), but apart from that...

Hell, I just found a KJV single.

I figured there'd be some interest in this gospel group 'cause they seemed to have a sort-of Philly soul sound (pre-disco). But I had no idea the demand was that high.

There's a CD of Hackamore Brick. It includes one bonus track,
    the 45-only b-side cover of the old Leiber-Stoller "Searchin" ...

... the LP pretty much falls under the "used to litter cutout bins"
    category. When I told sellers I was looking for it a little while back
    (finally got a fair-priced copy off eBay and later a sealed dupe from
    a dutch website for $12!) they were surprised I was after it, the
    old-school sellers all told me that for years it was a common sealed title
    which wasn't all that sought after, that it used to be a cheapie even on
    the used/collector circuit, for a loooong time.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Hell, I just found a KJV single.

I figured there'd be some interest in this gospel group 'cause they seemed to have a sort-of Philly soul sound (pre-disco). But I had no idea the demand was that high.

The single pops up fairly frequently but in no way is as desirable as the LP - the single is not the cut folks are after.

There's a CD of Hackamore Brick. It includes one bonus track,
    the 45-only b-side cover of the old Leiber-Stoller "Searchin" ...

... the LP pretty much falls under the "used to litter cutout bins"
    category. When I told sellers I was looking for it a little while back
    (finally got a fair-priced copy off eBay and later a sealed dupe from
    a dutch website for $12!) they were surprised I was after it, the
    old-school sellers all told me that for years it was a common sealed title
    which wasn't all that sought after, that it used to be a cheapie even on
    the used/collector circuit, for a loooong time.

I wasn't there, but judging by what I've seen in old rock magazines, owning that Hackamore Brick LP was like a rite of passage in the early '70s, back when you could stil buy Velvet Underground records in the same place - the cutout bin. But by the time I found my own (first) copy in the mid-eighties in a used 99-cent bin, the street buzz died down a little. They don't seem to have that protopunk cred that the New York Dolls, Big Star, Flamin' Groovies and the Velvets themselves did. Too bad, because that album cover anticipated the Ramones by six years.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Now, I really don't understand this one. It's a decent LP - one I'd pick up for $20 in the real world - but the actual music quality just does not justify the price. There are albums that are 2 or 3 times as rare on HSE and Creed that garner 2 or 3 times less money at auction and kick this LP's ass up and down the block. Hell, I've got singles I'd rather own. Any American that does not flip this for mid-three figures is a fool.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Oh - I love the group. I meant (but didn't actually type): how is the sound quality[/b] regarded? Meaning, versus the OG?

The Sundazed[/b] reissue has extra tracks, heavy wax/nice package, and sounds great.

Nah - I've got the Spoonfed[/b] re.

Yes, I know - I'm not an idiot - but I was letting you know
    that the Sundazed reissue is top quality, in case you felt or
    were told that the Spoonfed was not up to par.

Oh - okay. It's just that I've never heard the Epic OG and wondered how my copy held up. Sounds fine to me, for what it is.