post a very raer record on a major label

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    dennis coffee - theme from blackbelt jones

hey tom...

so this does actually exist? how much does the og go for?

It exists. I didn't think it was much more than $100 though.

• dennis coffee - theme from blackbelt jones

hey tom...

100-200$.

the cutty one is the stock issue w/ the love theme on the flip instead of the double sided promo copy

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Al "Tousan" Toussaint on RCA

I see this around pretty often.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

"I believe the Rolling Stones record I have in my collection is quite possibly the rarest record ever released on a major label."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Al "Tousan" Toussaint on RCA

I see this around pretty often.

Only a few on Popsike so I guess either no one wants it or no one sells it.

well, popsike doesn't catch everything.

I've sold plenty of records for $50 on up that aren't on popsike... sometimes titles that are listed on the site 10-15 times (just not my copy).

well, popsike doesn't catch everything.

I've sold plenty of records for $50 on up that aren't on popsike... sometimes titles that are listed on the site 10-15 times (just not my copy).

No question.....I've looked through a few LP's in my life....as far as major labels go the Tousan has been pretty scarce....I've only seen it 3-4 times compared to something like Esquerita on Capitol which I've had at least 10 times....that said, I have no doubt SOI sees it often.

I have no doubt SOI sees it often.

I would gladly trade our wealth of Tousan for
    your bounty of The Remains ...

Here, SoulOnIce, you take zis Tousan LP, 60s soul, you like yes? Please. Over here... no over here... no over here is LOOOOTS 60s soul, you buy a lot I give you discount, yes?

Here, SoulOnIce, you take zis Tousan LP, 60s soul, you like yes? Please. Over here... no over here... no over here is LOOOOTS 60s soul, you buy a lot I give you discount, yes?

"here, you look for the obscure 60's, yes? here, you
    have this BREAD album, no? you like the jazz? you must
    need this "Cabaret" soundtrack, yes?"

Over here THOUSANDS rare disco. (points to an entire bookcase of classical box sets)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

not rare by any means.

Agreed. I got my copy on eBay for $25. solid VG+ with lyric sheet.

Food's Forever Is A Dream is fairly hard to find, but on the level of Gandalf for the Capitol-minimum pressing rate.

I have an interesting copy of the Remains' LP from the 70s with bonus tracks (!). I've never seen it since, but I've never looked for it, either.

I have an interesting copy of the Remains' LP from the 70s with bonus tracks (!). I've never seen it since, but I've never looked for it, either.

Is it the red wax release on Spoonfed??

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Does Vertigo count as a major label?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Yes. I don't believe that it's worth much, or anything, but it suffices. How is it regarded?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    dennis coffee - theme from blackbelt jones

hey tom...

100-200$.

the cutty one is the stock issue w/ the love theme on the flip instead of the double sided promo copy

I have both the white label and the palm trees stock and both have two songs (I think only one of them has a Sussex logo in addition to the WB one though). That doesn't mean there aren't 2 different promo issues though...

• iconicon 86 Posts

The Hollies "Draggin' My Heels" is Frickin' rare man.

As far as 12" go, the red vinyl Barrabas is up there, though I don't really get this song, maybe I need to hear it in proper context.

Never thought the Hollies was that difficult to turn up, but I'm sure you see many more 12" in NY.

Ashford & Simpson's One More Try.

My hip hop entry:
    Maestro Fresh-Wes - Bring It On - Showbiz Remix

Doors "S/T" Uncensored Mono on Elektra

What did they censor on this album? Is there an uncensored stereo?

Yes. I don't believe that it's worth much, or anything, but it suffices. How is it regarded?

Great music....probably worth 3-4x what it sold for when it was new.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

you know, the end of "The End"..."Mother, I want you fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you" part...I believe there are uncensored stereos...

Edit...dont know what the hell just happened...

Do Stax & Motown qualify as major labels?

Considering how much of Stax/Volt's titles were distributed through Atlantic, it comes close though I'm assuming there were smaller releases that may not have made it to the Atlantic network.

Yeah I was thinking of it as an Atlantic subsidiary but one or both of the Stax releases I named may have been manufactured/distributed completely independently...

Its interesting to consider what qualifies as a "major" in the decades before a handful of companies bought up all the competition and became "The Majors" though.

you know, the end of "The End"..."Mother, I want you fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you" part...I believe there are uncensored stereos...

Wild, I've been a Doors fan forever and collecting records much of that time yet I've never heard of this - you'd think the price guides would mention it...

• dennis coffee - theme from blackbelt jones

hey tom...

100-200$.

I have both the white label and the palm trees stock and both have two songs (I think only one of them has a Sussex logo in addition to the WB one though). That doesn't mean there aren't 2 different promo issues though...

huh. I ony have the stock issue, but have been offered WLPs as trade and they have all been w/o the love theme. who knows. really wish there was a full OST release for this.

I'd REALLY like a green/white ringer t-shirt like the bad guy guidos in the film w/ the boxing polar bear...

Do Stax & Motown qualify as major labels?

Considering how much of Stax/Volt's titles were distributed through Atlantic, it comes close though I'm assuming there were smaller releases that may not have made it to the Atlantic network.

Yeah I was thinking of it as an Atlantic subsidiary but one or both of the Stax releases I named may have been manufactured/distributed completely independently...

Its interesting to consider what qualifies as a "major" in the decades before a handful of companies bought up all the competition and became "The Majors" though.

Yeah, I thought about the record I posted and I guess Atlantic was still a small independent when they put it out...so it probably doesnt qualify in retrospect

Wild, I've been a Doors fan forever and collecting records much of that time yet I've never heard of this - you'd think the price guides would mention it...

This is another thread, but I wonder what the first record that was censored musically and repressed "clean"...Elektra had two in two years, The Doors and The MC5...

As far as 12" go, the red vinyl Barrabas is up there, though I don't really get this song, maybe I need to hear it in proper context.

not really much as a disco tune, but a b-boy anthem for sure...

Never thought the Hollies was that difficult to turn up, but I'm sure you see many more 12" in NY.

Ashford & Simpson's One More Try.

No doubt on the Ashford & Simpson. Never even seen it.

Hollies I've had once, the amount of folks clamoring for it led me to think it's pretty rare. I never see it, even at a premium price.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Well, before the '80s rolled around, indie labels actually had a shot at the charts. By the standards of the fifties, sixties and seventies, small labels like, say, All Platinum, Jewel, Excello, Duke, Starday, King and the like were considered independent labels. But because they had fairly high profiles, a lot of crate-digger types consider them "majors" just because they weren't put out by some wacko in a basement. Even A&M and Motown were considered indies at one point.

One of y'all mentioned Fania. Even though they had one or two breakouts and were briefly distributed by CBS, I have a hard time considering them a major. To me, Fania was like a step away from Folkways (and I'm not downing either label, I'm just saying; Fania was big in salsa circles, but hardly anywhere else).

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    Brothers Unlimited on Capitol

HOW rare is this? one of very few LP's i kick myself for not buying the one time i saw it...although i dont remember liking what i heard a WHOLE lot....

I got about $80 for a VG+ copy about 4-5 years ago.

80 to maybe at most 150. Great record though... AKO I think you would really like it (now).

damn. the one i found was $20, but it was a while ago and that seemed like a lot back then. hahaha

wow...i had no idea. i found this in a second hand store in small town Wisconsin for $2. my day has been made!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

doh! ive been forgetting to send mine to a strutter for a minute to complete a trade. if you reading this...i will get it out to you pronto.

byrdie green "sister byrdie" rarely turns up for some reason. i know its not mythical rare...but how many times have yall had copies? and whos got one for me?